Print Page | Close Window

Shub-Niggurath

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13018
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 19:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Shub-Niggurath
Posted By: Reverie
Subject: Shub-Niggurath
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 07:00
I've just beeing listening to the sample on the site from this band and i must say i'm very much intrigued. I've noticed that there don't seem to be any topics about them on here though. I'm eager for some more sites containing info on them, or better yet - samples! It's proving very difficult to achieve for me though so i was hoping i might get some help here.

Replies:
Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 07:25

Try here: http://kime.org.uk/PK/music/articles/sn/sn-history.html - http://kime.org.uk/PK/music/articles/sn/sn-history.html  

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 07:48
Noisy buggers.

Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 07:55
Noise is GOOOOOD!!!

Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 07:56
Agreed.

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 08:00
My mother's name was Shub-Niggurath!!

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Posted By: Politician
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 10:16
They were a fine band, blending elements of zeuhl, RIO and neoclassical
dissonance on the fringes of the avant garde.

Posted By: Mnemosyne
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 12:37
great band indeed, one of the gretest in the Zeuhl genre, probably the most dissonant one...

-------------
I'm a Man-Owl-Fish.
Creator-Observer-Muse.

Posted By: progreviews
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 15:33
Damn hard to find out anything about these guys online except for Phil Kime's site (linked above). There are a couple reviews at Ground & Sky of Les Morts Vont Vite (one of my absolute favorite albums of all time - imagine something as dark and evil as Univers Zero's Heresie but a hell of a lot louder and meaner) and the live album that's only been released on cassette. I also have been meaning to review their debut, which also has only ever been released on cassette.

I've heard the later albums after Les Morts Vont Vite are kind of lackluster, especially the one released a couple years ago.

Here are the reviews:
http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/display.php?rev=sn-lmvv - Les Morts Vont Vite
http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/display.php?rev=sn-live - Live

-------------
http://www.progreviews.com/">

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 15:54
Shub Niggurath raise obscurity to a new level - I got into them via this site, love Les Morts Vont Vite but aside from the info on GAS and Phil Kime's site I'm pretty much in the dark about them. They do seem to have a bit of a cult following on this site though, maybe somebody knows them personally or has more info?

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: Reverie
Date Posted: October 13 2005 at 20:26
Thanks for the info guys  Looks like if i want to hear any more i'm going to have to purchase something, which i would probably do regardless. And i do! ...want to hear more that is

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: October 14 2005 at 11:20

I have one album, and I hate it. Magma copy in disguise. But if you're thinking about buying one of them, be carefull; there's another band called "Shubb Niggurath" (please notice the extra B), wich is a horrible, horrible trash metal band.

I'll stick with the 3/5 good Magma albums. One thing is to be inspired by, and another is to steal material...

Now I remember: I have a copy of "Les vies et les mortes". Bored me to death (I did liked the second track, but that was all. The rest of it was the same sequence for just too many minutes. This is a resource that can be very suitable on music, but not this time). Anyway, the reasons for one to like something are misterious. I offer you this, my humble appreciation: Shub Niggurath is a "Goth" Magma. Like a Green Batman, or an Orange Superman, or like those "CASSIO" products (ADIBAS, NIKKE, or an IVM computer, etc.).

Like we say here, it's a "Mule" (I'll explain this if asked)

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Posted By: progreviews
Date Posted: October 14 2005 at 12:08
Interesting. I've always thought the Magma comparisons are misplaced. There's the monstrous bass, but the repetition is used very differently, the vocal stylings are totally different, and the whole affair is a lot noisier and freer than the heavily-composed works of Magma. And there's a hell of a lot less melody in the conventional sense - Les Morts Vont Vite is much more "difficult" than most Magma IMHO! And definitely a lot meaner and darker.

I think that comparisons to early Present and Univers Zero are much more useful.

To Reverie: the only good one you can find is Les Morts Vont Vite; unfortunately the self-titled debut and the live album are both long out of print (and as I mentioned, were never released on LP or CD, only on cassette). But LMVV is the absolute classic of the bunch, so it's good that it's the one still in print.

-------------
http://www.progreviews.com/">

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: October 14 2005 at 12:43

http://mitglied.lycos.de/RafaelKozub/zeu/p/art/1.htm - http://mitglied.lycos.de/RafaelKozub/zeu/p/art/1.htm

Small sample plus lots of info (in German)

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: October 14 2005 at 14:11

Originally posted by progreviews progreviews wrote:

Interesting. I've always thought the Magma comparisons are misplaced. There's the monstrous bass, but the repetition is used very differently, the vocal stylings are totally different, and the whole affair is a lot noisier and freer than the heavily-composed works of Magma. And there's a hell of a lot less melody in the conventional sense - Les Morts Vont Vite is much more "difficult" than most Magma IMHO! And definitely a lot meaner and darker.

I think that comparisons to early Present and Univers Zero are much more useful.

To Reverie: the only good one you can find is Les Morts Vont Vite; unfortunately the self-titled debut and the live album are both long out of print (and as I mentioned, were never released on LP or CD, only on cassette). But LMVV is the absolute classic of the bunch, so it's good that it's the one still in print.

Agreed - while there are superficial similarites to Magma, it's a bit like saying that ELP and Egg do the same thing because they're both keyboard/bass/drums trios who occasionally use classical themes in their music.

Certified recently posted an extremely perceptive review here

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=51524 - http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=51524

the brainy git!

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Date Posted: October 14 2005 at 15:24
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Certified recently posted an extremely perceptive review here

http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=51524 - http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=51524

the brainy git!

Will that be the usual £10, or are you STILL after my copy of "Tips Zum Selbstmord" by Necronomicon?

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: October 14 2005 at 18:48

Originally posted by progreviews progreviews wrote:

Well, that's your opinion. I respect that. As I said, Shub niggurath is a "Green Batman" to me. I dont care if they happen to use a different guitar. Les mortes von vite is (to me) an extended version of Khontarkosz, with a dark touch and a lady screaming the same three notes on every track. I'm glad I didn't bought it. Sorry .

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Date Posted: October 15 2005 at 09:48
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Agreed - while there are superficial similarites to Magma, it's a bit like saying that ELP and Egg do the same thing because they're both keyboard/bass/drums trios who occasionally use classical themes in their music.

I've seen an egg review that did just that. I was a bit perplexed.

Posted By: avalanchemaster
Date Posted: July 17 2008 at 14:25
while I (regrettably) have not heard any Magma, so I cannot chime in on the debate, I do think Les Morts Vont Vite is one of the darkest albums I own, if not THE darkest.  This stuff is brilliant!  If dissonance and dark/complex music were a drug, this would be the crack of prog rock.....I am simply addicted and cannot get enough!  I also have their last one, which is less structured and well, more avant garde, but in a really obnoxious and great way!  excellent band!

-------------

http://www.amazon.com/gp/shops/storefront/index.html?ie=UTF8&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sellerID=AP

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 17 2008 at 14:31
I'll ditto the love for Shub-Niggurath.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: September 22 2008 at 00:12
Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

I have one album, and I hate it. Magma copy in disguise. But if you're thinking about buying one of them, be carefull; there's another band called "Shubb Niggurath" (please notice the extra B), wich is a horrible, horrible trash metal band.

I'll stick with the 3/5 good Magma albums. One thing is to be inspired by, and another is to steal material...

Now I remember: I have a copy of "Les vies et les mortes". Bored me to death (I did liked the second track, but that was all. The rest of it was the same sequence for just too many minutes. This is a resource that can be very suitable on music, but not this time). Anyway, the reasons for one to like something are misterious. I offer you this, my humble appreciation: Shub Niggurath is a "Goth" Magma. Like a Green Batman, or an Orange Superman, or like those "CASSIO" products (ADIBAS, NIKKE, or an IVM computer, etc.).

Like we say here, it's a "Mule" (I'll explain this if asked)

They sound nothing like Magma. Confused

-------------

Posted By: DJPuffyLemon
Date Posted: September 22 2008 at 02:01
I'm having a hard time even finding any Shub Nigurath, but more importantly, do you really have over 48,000 posts???

Date Posted: September 22 2008 at 03:09
Originally posted by DJPuffyLemon DJPuffyLemon wrote:

I'm having a hard time even finding any Shub Nigurath, but more importantly, do you really have over 48,000 posts???

I have two Shub-Niggurath albums on CD and both are excellent. Big%20smile

Les morts vont vite is a classic.  A fantastic album and very dark too... perhaps darker than Heresie and Ceux du Dehors.

C'étaient de très grands vents is also excellent but it is more minimalist and even darker than their previous.  A lot more avant-garde as well.

I also have heard the original self-titled cassette by them as well and this is also excellent.  Not as good as Les morts vont vite but still excellent.

I have yet to hear Live though.

I forget where I purchases these albums from now... I think C'étaient de très grands vents I got from Caiman via Amazon and Les mort vont vite may have been the same... or it may have been from Greg Walker or Wayside.

But both albums are certainly available still. Big%20smile

As for the post-count: unfortunately it is true Ouch

-------------

Posted By: Petrovsk Mizinski
Date Posted: September 23 2008 at 03:11
Originally posted by James James wrote:

I have two Shub-Niggurath albums on CD and both are excellent. Big%20smile

Les morts vont vite is a classic.  A fantastic album and very dark too... perhaps darker than Heresie and Ceux du Dehors.

C'étaient de très grands vents is also excellent but it is more minimalist and even darker than their previous.  A lot more avant-garde as well.

I also have heard the original self-titled cassette by them as well and this is also excellent.  Not as good as Les morts vont vite but still excellent.

I have yet to hear Live though.

I forget where I purchases these albums from now... I think C'étaient de très grands vents I got from Caiman via Amazon and Les mort vont vite may have been the same... or it may have been from Greg Walker or Wayside.

But both albums are certainly available still. Big%20smile

As for the post-count: unfortunately it is true
Ouch

Get a job mang!

But yeah, I still haven't heard

Les Morts Vont Vite

Must hear.

-------------

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: September 23 2008 at 21:19

Mindawn.

Posted By: song_of_copper
Date Posted: September 24 2008 at 16:08
One: I must get some of this stuff (although I think it'll be a while before I can buy more music!).

Two: Pat's avatar = Clap.

That's all... Smile

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: November 11 2008 at 10:54
BUMP

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: November 11 2008 at 14:14
Fine band! And no, they definitely don't sound like Magma. Or any zeuhl really. They have more in common with bands in the Univers Zéro/early Art Zoyd vein.

I really recommend searching for their other two albums as well. More mature and accomplished, and much better than Les morts, in my opinion.

Date Posted: November 11 2008 at 14:20
Reiterate that most all of Shub-Niggurath can be found on mindawn, DRM free downloads offering FLAC (lossless) and OGG (lossy).

Date Posted: November 13 2008 at 18:35
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Fine band! And no, they definitely don't sound like Magma. Or any zeuhl really. They have more in common with bands in the Univers Zéro/early Art Zoyd vein.

I really recommend searching for their other two albums as well. More mature and accomplished, and much better than Les morts, in my opinion.

I agree. Shub-Niggurath aren't really Zeuhl, apart from elements in Les Morts Vont Vite, they really do belong in RIO/Avant if you ask me.

Testament is more like a dark and atonal noise-rock album, while C'etatient de Tres Grands is like a bridge between Les Morts and Testament. Excellent stuff all of it, although VERY difficult listening for many..

-------------
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Date Posted: November 13 2008 at 18:47
Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

I have one album, and I hate it. Magma copy in disguise...

It must be a very good disguise. LOL Wink

I love Shub-Niggurath.  It's one of my favourite chamber rock bands.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2008 at 19:09
Logan just committed a slight faux-pas.

Only the original self-titled cassette album and Les Morts Vont Vite are Chamber Prog really.

C'etatient de Tres Grands is as Blowie says, a different beast.  A very dark, noise-rock album.  Nothing like their first two.  I haven't heard Testament yet, so I cannot comment on it.

All are excellent though.

Think of later Shub-Niggurath as closer to Ahvak and Guapo's Black Oni, only even darker, dissonant and noisey.  Less structured too.

-------------

Date Posted: November 13 2008 at 20:25

Only the original self-titled cassette album and Les Morts Vont Vite are Chamber Prog really.

C'etatient de Tres Grands is as Blowie says, a different beast.  A very dark, noise-rock album.  Nothing like their first two.  I haven't heard Testament yet, so I cannot comment on it.

Think of later Shub-Niggurath as closer to Ahvak and Guapo's Black Oni, only even darker, dissonant and noisey.  Less structured too.

Sold.  Big smile

Date Posted: November 13 2008 at 21:03
Good point, James. Smile I was indeed referring to the self-titled and Les Morts.... 

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2008 at 01:54
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Sold.  Big smile

But also nothing like them too. LOLEmbarrassed

-------------

Posted By: mithrandir
Date Posted: November 15 2008 at 13:14
anyone hear that track from the Enneade compilation "J'ai vu naguere"?  I think it's only exclusive to that comp, I found the LP for $8 a while back ago, worth it for that track alone...which might be the darkest and noisiest track they ever recorded, 

Date Posted: November 16 2008 at 06:31
I have Delear Prius from Douze Pour Un Volume 2.   However, I think it's the same as the album version.

I need that Enneas track though.  Is it different to the album version?

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2008 at 12:22

Spot on!

Testament is even more extreme than C'etatient again, James. Totally abstract, dark and noisy! Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: November 16 2008 at 13:54

I have Delear Prius from Douze Pour Un Volume 2.   However, I think it's the same as the album version.

I need that Enneas track though.  Is it different to the album version?

weird, I I listened to them both today and I guess it is the same recording, it sounds a lot fuller off the LP, Im assuming the mastering on the CD takes out some of that beefy reverberation that the LP possesses, such a shame...now I wish to hear a vinyl copy of Les Morts Vont Vite to see if there is a noticeable difference in sound

Posted By: toroddfuglesteg
Date Posted: November 16 2008 at 14:16
WARNING !!!!!!! There is another band with the same name. That band is from Mexico and their music is Death/Black/Thrash Metal. I knew them well enough to offer them a record deal ten years ago. I never heard back from them, but I know the band has released three studio albums.

Beware.

Posted By: toroddfuglesteg
Date Posted: November 16 2008 at 14:17
Beware so you don't by accident pay some hard earned money to download their stuff in the belief they are progressive. Heart attack will then be the end result........

Date Posted: November 16 2008 at 14:34
Originally posted by toroddfuglesteg toroddfuglesteg wrote:

WARNING !!!!!!! There is another band with the same name. That band is from Mexico and their music is Death/Black/Thrash Metal. I knew them well enough to offer them a record deal ten years ago. I never heard back from them, but I know the band has released three studio albums.

Beware.

yup, I know Shub-Niggurath from Mexico, I still have their old 7"s ...you forget who you are dealing with here Wink
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=4303 - http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=4303

actually I think people who are looking for the Death Metal Shub-Niggurath might accidentally come across the Prog/Zeuhl Shub-Niggurath and have a heart attack because the Prog Shub is infinitely darker and more intense one

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk