Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=130542
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 04:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: I had a go at kareoke'ing to Pink Floyds song Time
Posted By: Greenmist
Subject: I had a go at kareoke'ing to Pink Floyds song Time
Date Posted: February 22 2023 at 07:14
Ok, at the risk of just being ridiculed and laughed away from this thread, i decided to have a go at kareoke'ing to the Pink Floyd song Time, on Starmaker.

From trying this tho, i now realise just how complexed the song Time is lol.   There is no way anybody could kareoke to this song decently if they hadent had lots and lots and lots and lots of listens to the song first, as there is just so much to take in.   At one point in the song, you get a bar change during the middle of a word (which is not commonly done), the bit where it goes "hanging onto desperation is the english way", the bar changes in the middle of the word "desperation".

Then there's the part of, how should you make your voice sound on the lyrical parts where the singing is not so melodic? ("then one day you look behind, 10 years have passed you by" ect).  I didnt pick the right way, and on those parts i sound more like a school kid talking in a monotonous droning voice like they do when giving an english oral presentation to the class lol.

Replies:
Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: February 22 2023 at 14:59
It certainly takes more work than we think to write a song. As simple as it sounds, Time, and many other songs, have a lot more complexity in them than we first hear. That's one of the reasons that makes prog so good.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: February 22 2023 at 15:19
We should never forget just how difficult it is to make intelligent music.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 22 2023 at 15:34
I'm not sure why anyone would want to do karaoke in public period........ unless they were drunk or stoned

Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Gerinski
Date Posted: February 26 2023 at 02:48
Time was one of the songs we played with my friends band, besides playing the keyboards or the bass I did the backing vocals and the lead vocals whenever our singer was absent.
Many prog songs are more difficult than what they seem at first glance. I believe my intonation was pretty good but my problem is that my voice timbre is not nice and my range rather limited.
But it's a great song to play, not too difficult and very enjoyable!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 26 2023 at 10:43
Originally posted by Greenmist Greenmist wrote:

At one point in the song, you get a bar change during the middle of a word (which is not commonly done), the bit where it goes "hanging onto desperation is the english way", the bar changes in the middle of the word "desperation".

I'm not sure what you mean by "bar change" there, are you referring to the different note/chord being played as compared to the previous line?

Posted By: Greenmist
Date Posted: February 27 2023 at 02:26
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "bar change" there, are you referring to the different note/chord being played as compared to the previous line?

Its hard to explain what i mean by saying "bar change" purely by text.   If we were face to face instead, id find it more easier to get across what i mean.   But if someone were to have a go at kareoking to Time, and they dont already know exactly how "hanging onto desperation is the english way" is meant to be sung, they will mess it up.

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: February 28 2023 at 00:32
I don't think this is a difficult track to sing. It doesn't require much of a range, it's relatively predictable melody-wise, and there are no time changes. If one knows the tune, I think it's an easy performance. That being said, you can have all the confidence in the world, but get up there on stage at a bar where it's hard to hear, you've had a few (I can only imagine this part, since I don't drink), and suddenly, a tune you've known for a while can surprise you. "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" may have just been a weird line to read at the time haha.

Anyway, that's why I prefer doing karaoke in a private room or in the comfort of a home. Much easier for me and my friends and family to hit those harmonies (usually).

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 01 2023 at 07:39
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I don't think this is a difficult track to sing. It doesn't require much of a range, it's relatively predictable melody-wise, and there are no time changes. If one knows the tune, I think it's an easy performance. That being said, you can have all the confidence in the world, but get up there on stage at a bar where it's hard to hear, you've had a few (I can only imagine this part, since I don't drink), and suddenly, a tune you've known for a while can surprise you. "Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way" may have just been a weird line to read at the time haha.

Anyway, that's why I prefer doing karaoke in a private room or in the comfort of a home. Much easier for me and my friends and family to hit those harmonies (usually).

I agree. That line you quoted is pretty much up and down on 2 notes.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk