Print Page | Close Window

Yes - Mirror to the Sky (New Album)

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=130594
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 05:38
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Yes - Mirror to the Sky (New Album)
Posted By: Heart of the Matter
Subject: Yes - Mirror to the Sky (New Album)
Date Posted: March 07 2023 at 16:57
Jan Schellen on Drums, May 19th 2023

Tracklist:
1. "Cut from the Stars" (5:25)
2. "All Connected" (9:02)
3. "Luminosity" (9:04)
4. "Living Out Their Dream" (4:45)
5. "Mirror to the Sky" (13:53)
6. "Circles of Time" (4:59)

Bonus disc:
1. "Unknown Place" (8:15)
2. "One Second is Enough" (4:04)
3. "Magic Potion" (4:08)

Source: http://www.mellotronweb.com.ar/" rel="nofollow - http://www.mellotronweb.com.ar/

Replies:
Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: March 07 2023 at 20:47
I hate to admit I’m not very excited for another Yes album. I just hope they prove me wrong.

Posted By: Rottenprogger
Date Posted: March 07 2023 at 21:00
Roger Dean never fails to deliver amazing artwork for his YES covers and this one is no different. 

It's too bad the music won't match the virtuosity of that cover. 

I recently watched the YES (ft. Anderson, Wakeman and Rabin) 50th Anniversary concert from 2018 and it's a real shame that lineup never put out an album because they were incredible live. 

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 01:32
No disrespect intended to Alan White who is one of my all time favourite drummers (RIP) but I do think a new man behind the drum kit could help a lot. One of the things that made that Anderson, Wakeman, Rabin thing so good was the powerful energetic drumming.

Posted By: Stressed Cheese
Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 04:16
It's always surreal to see a band go on for so long that there are more albums that nobody will remember than albums from their classic period. And I think Yes are pretty much reaching that threshold. If people are still willing to buy/listen, all the more power to them (hell, I'm not trying to be a hater), but it always makes me wonder how they see their own history, seeing as they have like 10-15 years of prime Yes and then like 40 years of albums that nobody really cares about.

Also, I was going to comment on how it's kind of funny how they just have the most typical, expected Roger Dean covers for their albums these days, but this one does look pretty damn nice, not gonna lie.

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 05:15
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I hate to admit I’m not very excited for another Yes album. I just hope they prove me wrong.
Ditto !

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 05:16
Originally posted by Rottenprogger Rottenprogger wrote:

Roger Dean never fails to deliver amazing artwork for his YES covers and this one is no different. 

I recently watched the YES (ft. Anderson, Wakeman and Rabin) 50th Anniversary concert from 2018 and it's a real shame that lineup never put out an album because they were incredible live. 
It will probably turn out to be the best thing about this album sadly enough.

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 05:18
Oh, and by the way...Who exactly IS yes now ??

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 05:44
Steve Howe, Geoff Downes, Billy Sherwood, Jon Davison, & Jan Schellen

Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 05:51
So, Steve Howe then.

We're quickly approaching The ship of Theseus paradox.

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 06:10
When Jon and Rick jumped off the ship, many voices said it was no longer Yes, but then came Drama, and I like it. It's the music what matters IMO.

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 06:45
A summary of post-Squire YES:

Great album covers

Nauseatingly boring music

The End

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 06:47

I've got to say I don't like that cover, I think it's the worst Dean one I've seen. Let's hope the music is better than the previous two and there are no awful songs about The Beatles.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 09:01
I don't like the cover either, I know its a new Dean painting but it looks like a cut and paste pastiche of Roger Dean rock formation, a generic starry sky, slap on a man and a logo.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 10:30
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

A summary of post-Squire YES:

Great album covers

Nauseatingly boring music

The End

"YES! YES!"

They should hang it up.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 11:03
This is very exciting news! Let's just hope it lives up to the high standards set by The Quest, although I'll be disappointed if it doesn't include a Beatles tribute. Big smile

Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 11:09
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

This is very exciting news! Let's just hope it lives up to the high standards set by The Quest, although I'll be disappointed if it doesn't include a Beatles tribute. Big smile

I just knew you'd say that. LOL

Posted By: AJ Junior
Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 13:16

Unfortunately true. 

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 14:04
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

So, Steve Howe then.

or, "I've had this broom for over 30 years now... it's had 8 new heads and 5 new handles" LOL

I looked at the length of the tracks and thought.. Big smile

then I looked at the line-up and thought.. Ermm

then I considered that 'Fly From Here' is considered their strongest post JA album and thought... Ouch

then I came to the conclusion that Yes were finally done after 'Magnification'... Approve

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 14:53
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

So, Steve Howe then.

or, "I've had this broom for over 30 years now... it's had 8 new heads and 5 new handlesLOL

"Trig. Why do you call me Dave?

Because it's your name, innit?

Nah. It's Rodney.

Oh. Okay. See you later then Dave!"

Ah, happy days, and certainly far more culturally satisfying than anything this lineup of Yes will ever produce (he says speaking with a completely open mind!LOL)

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 22:12
this is a real shame that These guys feel they need to release 3rd rate prog. Jon has put together a strong band and doing a “Hackett” and will tour great Yes music - might be good

Posted By: foregonillusions
Date Posted: March 08 2023 at 23:30
Is this a threat?
Oh well, another beautiful piece of artwork to admire at least.

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: March 09 2023 at 05:57
Personally, I'm not that excited. :|

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: March 09 2023 at 05:58
Welp, I guess it'll be interesting to hear what a 14 minute Yes song sounds like in the year of our lord, 2023. I just can't really get behind Jon NotAnderson, the other day I accident remembered that Arc of Life album and god what I would do to re-forget about it.

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: March 09 2023 at 13:23
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

So, Steve Howe then.

We're quickly approaching <span ="ilfuvd"="" lang="en"><span ="hgkelc"="">The ship of Theseus paradox.
</span></span>

or, "I've had this broom for over 30 years now... it's had 8 new heads and 5 new handles" LOL

I looked at the length of the tracks and thought.. Big smile

then I looked at the line-up and thought.. Ermm

then I considered that 'Fly From Here' is considered their strongest post JA album and thought... Ouch

then I came to the conclusion that Yes were finally done after 'Magnification'... Approve

Many of us went to the Reunion Tour shows (that was 30 f**king years ago) and enjoyed them while still feeling like an honest to goodness Yes album had not been released since 1977. Now, the name is beyond sullied. What happens Steve Howe is no longer wanting to do this? Does Geoff Downes become the next Dread Pirate Roberts?

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: March 09 2023 at 13:35
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Many of us went to the Reunion Tour shows (that was 30 f**king years ago) and enjoyed them while still feeling like an honest to goodness Yes album had not been released since 1977. Now, the name is beyond sullied. What happens Steve Howe is no longer wanting to do this? Does Geoff Downes become the next Dread Pirate Roberts?

Count me in, Ian... I saw (all 8 of) them in the Round at Birmingham NEC Arena on the 1991 Union tour, but they have long been beyond parody... I won't go through their discography, but since 1980, they've released precious few GOOD 'YES' albums... Talk, the Keystudio material and Magnification would be the only ones worthy of the name for me...  

Date Posted: March 09 2023 at 13:41
We need a new subgenre for this stage of Yes

Geriatric yacht prog

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: March 09 2023 at 13:55
Quite a lot of negativity here about an album that probably nobody here has heard yet, and in fact nobody of you needs to listen to if you think you have better things to do. Why don't you just let them do what they feel like doing? I guess it doesn't hurt anyone.

Date Posted: March 09 2023 at 14:35
I sort of find it interesting that ELP used to be the butt of these type of comments. Then it was Genesis, Pink Floyd and now another of our 'hero groups' has befallen the same fate. Who's next?

-------------

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: March 09 2023 at 14:38
someone shared the first song :

https://we.tl/t-1zveKkT9ZZ" rel="nofollow - https://we.tl/t-1zveKkT9ZZ

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Posted By: earlyprog
Date Posted: March 09 2023 at 14:39
I'm excited!! As always when YES release a new album as - after their 70's peak period - there is at least one great (underline) track.

Their most recent release 'The Quest' nearly made it to my PA AOTY list.

However, I think they should enhance the production by selecting a proper producer. I know the band often felt the production was lacking on their post-70's output but their recent output should have been left to a proper producer, sorry Steve!

Posted By: The-Station-Pilot
Date Posted: March 10 2023 at 04:20
I was pleasantly surprised by the new track, a definite improvement over anything from Heaven & Earth and The Quest. I'd hesitate to call it a return to form but it is definitely a step in the right direction. Best thing they've done in years by a wide margin.

Fingers crossed the rest of the album holds up too.

Date Posted: March 10 2023 at 05:49
Originally posted by rdtprog rdtprog wrote:

someone shared the first song :

https://we.tl/t-1zveKkT9ZZ" rel="nofollow - https://we.tl/t-1zveKkT9ZZ

Sounds good on 128 kbps, so the proper CD (or vinyl) has to be much better. Thanks for the link!

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 10 2023 at 05:52
^ is it this song?

Date Posted: March 10 2023 at 06:01
^ Wow! That was amazing. They sound just like the classic YES line-up of YES-teryear that we've all come to know and love. Well, some of us, anyway. Tongue

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 10 2023 at 06:03
It sounds like latter day Yes to me. If you like that it'll probably scratch the itch.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: March 10 2023 at 06:38
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I hear you Paul!

Date Posted: March 10 2023 at 07:41
Originally posted by Stressed Cheese Stressed Cheese wrote:

It's always surreal to see a band go on for so long that there are more albums that nobody will remember than albums from their classic period. And I think Yes are pretty much reaching that threshold. If people are still willing to buy/listen, all the more power to them (hell, I'm not trying to be a hater), but it always makes me wonder how they see their own history, seeing as they have like 10-15 years of prime Yes and then like 40 years of albums that nobody really cares about.

Also, I was going to comment on how it's kind of funny how they just have the most typical, expected Roger Dean covers for their albums these days, but this one does look pretty damn nice, not gonna lie.

Well said -but they reached that threshold - the band isn’t made up of extraordinary players or composers for decades  
Th new song sounds like the last album - doesn’t move me

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: March 10 2023 at 10:22
The Good - I like Sherwood's (deliberate) channeling of his inner Squire. The bass riff is wonderful.

The Bad - Davison's voice. I think it is weedy. It is not the fact that he is not Jon Anderson, I don't like it because it is Jon Davison.

The Ugly - bloody hell, it's boring, isn't it? Far too many words, no emotion whatsoever - indeed, listening to it sounds very much like attending an astronomy lecture at your local college - fine if you like that sort of thing, I suppose, but I want a lot more feeling in my music.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: March 10 2023 at 12:51
Just had a listen. Take Davidson's vocals out and it could be any band. No really yes feel there in the music IMHO. And as stated above...YAWN...a bit of a bland snoozer. No real dynamics or as said,emotion, in what I'm hearing. It almost sounds like a pre-effects feed from a sound board, dry and compressed.
Oh well, nothing I'll be rushing to add to my collection at this point.

Next track please.

-------------

Posted By: foregonillusions
Date Posted: March 10 2023 at 14:44
What perplexes me is that I quite like Jon Davison's vocals when he, say, sings for Glass Hammer, and yet what I just listened to wasn't euphonic to my ears. Doesn't help that the composition is a bit dull.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 10 2023 at 15:13
Of course Yes can do what they like, and we can say No to it. Cut from the Stars may be the most boring music I have heard. It is so tedious, mundane, generic. I feel like Yes has taken a blasé attitude to the next level with this mundane and generic piece. Kudos on that, I suppose, as it makes ennui such a palpable, and thoroughly tiresome experience. The colour of this world feels a little greyer now, things lack a little less taste, it is such a humdrum existence. Now I'm depressed. The video made it even worse in that it is so cheesy having those trite lyrics on screen in that manner. I have seen quite a few music videos like that (not just fan-made ones), and it is not a portent for good or exciting things to come. If this is very indicative of what to expect on a Mirror to the Sky, then that is a very lifeless, colourless, and tiresome reflection -- a meaningless, banal, world. There are many programs now that can create much more vibrant music than this. This pap may be a harbinger for the end of man's creativity and the rise of AI in all things. Maybe that's the point. I remember a time when Yes was full of life.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: March 11 2023 at 04:56
I wasn't positively impressed by the first song. Rather sterile sounding with a toss of lyrics.

It's a band doing an impression of different incarnations of Yes all at once.

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: March 11 2023 at 05:34
This is what I said about The Quest, and it is quite the same impression I have about this new track...:
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Also listened to it yesterday; needed two attempts to get to the end.
No, it is not good. Was this a new prog band, I would indeed call it prog by numbers with hints of Yes. But this is Yes, and it is much too bleak to be Yes music. It is better than H&E indeed, but it is very forgettable music. I don't hear any spontaneity, any creativity, any pleasure they might have had in making this. It is just bleak.

It is definitely clear for me that in the songwriting department the good ones have left this band. There are some nice melodies, on one song some above average singing (I'm thinking of Leave Well Alone...). For the rest it is hardly going beyond elevator music, apart from a couple of moments that might disturb the passengers. Steve Howe shows that he can give guitar lessons to beginners with all the tone scales he's spreading around. The orchestrations overall couldn't get more cliché than what they are on this album, and the synth are regularly - indeed - on the cheesy side. Best track in my opinion is The Ice Bridge, which only underlines the fact that for good songwriting they have to bring in someone else...

Have not much to add to most of the comments of my fellow forum members. It could be worse (as some tracks from The Quest show), but this is a Yes tribute band using and abusing some Yes formulas, without the inspiration and songwriting skills necessary to lift it above average. And especially without any originality.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Date Posted: March 11 2023 at 07:25
the only great Yes music has 5 great one of a kind musicians in it - this has always been true and still is - this band is down to one and will never make great Yes music- nothing worse then bad prog.

Date Posted: March 11 2023 at 07:43
Prog-lite? Smooth Prog? EZ Listening Prog? Prog-by-Numbers? Prog-zak?

Date Posted: March 11 2023 at 11:11
Nursing home prog! AOP (Adult Oriented Prog)! Yawn prog! Cash-in Legacy Prog!

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: March 11 2023 at 16:23
It's like using a brass screw for a job that a toaster and a pool skimmer are supposed to do.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: March 11 2023 at 17:09
Yacht Prog? Soft prog? IDGAF prog?

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: March 11 2023 at 17:59
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

The video made it even worse in that it is so cheesy having those trite lyrics on screen in that manner. I have seen quite a few music videos like that (not just fan-made ones), and it is not a portent for good or exciting things to come.

Hi,

I was thinking a bit of the same thing. I thought the lyrics were a bit sappy and not that great, and they need to hire a poet to help create lyrics, instead of this kind of stuff that is quite meaningless all around, despite its trying to sound and be good.

There are times when it's over. And while I think that these folks can do as they please, in essence they are trying to continue something that is long gone and has lost its spark.

I saw BD way back when on one of Chris' last tours here near Portland, and my comments were that he was a total amateur using old theatrical expressions to "add meaning" to Jon's words, and it was a horrible acting job. Hearing him sing this particular song, I can not help feeling that he simply has no feeling for this stuff, other than some sort of idealistic notion. Still he has a right to do it, but I stopped using my nickels on YES many years ago. Like 40, at least!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 11 2023 at 18:00
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

It's like using a brass screw for a job that a toaster and a pool skimmer are supposed to do.

Hi,

Maybe it is what YES needs now ... a little FAUST to make some noise to help them find some music that matters!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Big Sky
Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 12:10
Yes is my favorite band but, I have not bought anything beyond Magnification ( with the exception of the SW remixes) which, was the last good album the band released.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised with this song. Looking forward to seeing how the other tracks sound. It would be nice to purchase a new Yes release.

As for Jon Anderson, I like him, but some of the members here think he is the magic ingredient to make everything right. Maybe, Maybe not. The Drama album was a very good album, that sounded fresh because, Anderson and Wakeman jumped ship. And listening to the Paris sessions, it's a good thing they did, because what was coming out of those sessions would have made Tormato look like a masterpiece.

Anderson was the primary member of Yes that was behind the mess that was the Union album. His demands for more money and not letting on how truly sick he was when a tour was booked led Yes to boot Anderson from the band. Which, really meant Chris Squire, but it was obvious that Steve Howe and Alan White were fine with the decision.

I know there are a big contingent of Yes fans that like to drop everything on Steve Howe's lap when it comes to these personnel decisions. Howe, by all accounts can be a moody SOB. Engaging one moment and a jerk the next. But, it appears the blame for Anderson getting the boot rest more with Squire. As we found with the recent Benoit David interview, Howe didn't force Oliver Wakeman out to bring in his friend Downes. That rested with Trevor Horn. It appears that Howe and David maintained a professional relationship and that it was Squier who could be quite mean to David.

Anyway, it just seems that many believe that if Howe would get with the program and make nice with Anderson and bring him back, everything would be great again. Maybe, but Anderson has been responsible for putting out some real crap too and it seems his Napoleonic attitude can rub people the wrong way. None of us know what demands Anderson has made of Yes about pay or what music will be played. We know he never sang anything from Drama, which the other Yes members like to play live. Is he making the same demands on the new Yes music?

In the perfect world, Howe, Anderson, Wakeman and Bruford put their differences aside and go to studio and make an album. The last time these four got together and TRULY recorded together was ABWH. Not Close to the Edge or Fragile, but a good album. Even today, if this could happen would we be guaranteed just a good album from these four.

Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 12:36
Originally posted by Big Sky Big Sky wrote:

In the perfect world, Howe, Anderson, Wakeman and Bruford put their differences aside and go to studio and make an album. The last time these four got together and TRULY recorded together was ABWH. Not Close to the Edge or Fragile, but a good album. Even today, if this could happen would we be guaranteed just a good album from these four.

Hi,

I think that Mr. Bruford has stated that he has retired from drumming/performing altogether. I'm not sure that Wakeman wants to play with someone that had some fine moments with King Crimson, and I think that Bill's touch would make Wakeman sound ... pedestrian these days, like most of his music is! Jon I won't say much ... I think it is time for him to do HIS BARDO and call it a night ... and Mr. Howe ... I am not sure he will stop playing unless his fingers fall off. Wink

A nice idea ... but I think that even Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky ... all died ... and it is time that YES also calls it a life. Besides an artist making it for 50 years? Goodness me ... you're really pushing your luck!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 13:19
First single.  Light beer brew with a tossed lyric salad. 

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 13:29
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Quite a lot of negativity here about an album that probably nobody here has heard yet, and in fact nobody of you needs to listen to if you think you have better things to do. Why don't you just let them do what they feel like doing? I guess it doesn't hurt anyone.

The "they" is one guy at this point. It's like once owning a Ferrari but it has disintegrated and all that's left is the wheels. You can put those wheels on a Toyota Camry and still get to where you need to go. The Camry is a very decent car. You might really love it. But quit trying to convince me it's still a Ferrari!

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 13:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Big Sky Big Sky wrote:

Hi,

I think that Mr. Bruford has stated that he has retired from drumming/performing altogether. I'm not sure that Wakeman wants to play with someone that had some fine moments with King Crimson, and I think that Bill's touch would make Wakeman sound ... pedestrian these days, like most of his music is! Jon I won't say much ... I think it is time for him to do HIS BARDO and call it a night ... and Mr. Howe ... I am not sure he will stop playing unless his fingers fall off. Wink

A nice idea ... but I think that even Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky ... all died ... and it is time that YES also calls it a life. Besides an artist making it for 50 years? Goodness me ... you're really pushing your luck!

That is why I said in a perfect world. You might get Howe, Wakeman and Anderson, but you're more likely to win the lottery than get Bruford to get behind the kit. No guarantee the music would be good. But, it could happen. Haydn composed Seasons late in his life. Bartok was nearing finishing his incredible Piano Concerto No. 3 when his battle with leukemia finally sent him to the hospital where he died. The last 17 bars were completed by a friend of Bartok using the notes Bartok had on the piano concerto.

Howe seems to be putting out some decent stuff with his trio.

Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 14:36
For what it's worth, Mike Kenneally, guitar and keyboard extraordinaire ( Zappa, Vai, Satriani, etc, etc) heard the new Yes song and said "it's a really good track, playful, clever, inventive, which for me ( at this point in the Yes timeline) is more than enough to make me smile."

Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 14:52
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

Yacht Prog?

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 15:05

Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 15:20
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The "they" is one guy at this point. It's like once owning a Ferrari but it has disintegrated and all that's left is the wheels. You can put those wheels on a Toyota Camry and still get to where you need to go. The Camry is a very decent car. You might really love it. But quit trying to convince me it's still a Ferrari!

The Ferrari of Theseus..?

Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 15:57
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Holy Crap, is Steve a Mennonite now ?

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 16:04
And finally, I find it kind of funny reading some of the comments, as if any of those musicians owes any of us anything (as in good music we love).

Nope, sorry, not even a little. They perform what their muse inspires.

Like it or lump it, but give up your expectations, none of us will probably ever get to hear THE album we're all waiting for.

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 16:17
^ we ARE hearing the albums we have been waiting for it's just that it's not YES who is delivering them.

Of course they can crank out any crap that they want but that doesn't mean that YES fans aren't noticing and taking note.

Nobody is under any delusions that all these modern endeavors will diminish the legacy of past glories.

We're simply expressing our disappointment in a once great band releasing inferior rubbish and that's coming from someone who pretty much loves every aspect of their career up to when Chris Squire left this 3D plane of existence.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 17:09
Yes was my favorite band in the 80s, 90s and maybe a bit beyond that. However, at some point it started to seem like they were just milking the cash cow.

Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 17:27
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Nobody is under any delusions that all these modern endeavors will diminish the legacy of past glories.

Hi,

I'm not sure about this anymore ... when a thread asked about which albums we wanted to hear the most, or wanted, everyone went for the big names of yesteryear ... and to me, that was really sad. Heck, Miley's new stuff is more attractive to me than the new stuff by YES.

As much as I like PT, Marillion, PG, U2, Neil Young, and many others, waiting for their next breadth and album is crazy for me ... those folks have done some outstanding stuff for many years, and expecting more is like ... bleed the fudger until he/she dies so we can have "our say" ...

I suppose the only one these days I kinda look forward to hearing is Kate Bush ... her stuff keeps changing, and is totally different all the time, and for my ears and heart, it's getting better! I think she has 2, maybe 3 more albums to make before she quits the whole thing ... who knows. One request, which she has said is not a priority ... that she would release the concert series on DVD ... per album, it was too good not to love and enjoy, but obviously from an artist perspective, she was not happy with the filming, or the attention to details, which is something I have pointed out many times is a horrible issue with rock music and its filming when it is live.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 13 2023 at 17:56

No, he's one of the Menninotes and long may Steve Howe and YES continue to make great music together. Thumbs Up

Date Posted: March 14 2023 at 05:44

Except for the psych shirt and guitar. Imagine him with the appropriate hat, shirt, and a black book with golden letters...

Date Posted: March 14 2023 at 11:53
Yes, Mirror to the Sky has more than lived up to my expectations after hearing the brand new Cut from the Stars of Symphonic Prog. I can tell you that One Second is Enough time for me to decide I'm going to rush out and buy this album upon its release. It's good to know Steve Howe & co. are still able to come up with the goods by sprinkling some Magic Potion on their latest offering and Living Out Their Dream by continuing to make wonderful music together. It's also good to remember Chris Squire, Alan White & Peter Banks who are no longer with us, but are shining with Luminosity in an Unknown Place somewhere up there in the heavens. They'll be forever remembered as Prog Gods through the Circles of Time as we're All Connected here by our Love and passion for music. Heart

I'm almost as excited about the new YES album as Miami Scot. Tongue

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: March 15 2023 at 02:37
I hope the others songs are better than this one because it could be another forgettable album.

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Date Posted: March 15 2023 at 07:48
the band supports many people who need income- it will go on forever even after Howe dies or retires. Sad ending to a once tour de force with 5 of the best musicians in the prog business 

Posted By: Rottenprogger
Date Posted: March 15 2023 at 16:21
I finally listened to that new track and yeah it's just an incredibly watered down version of YES musical stylings. I know they're incredibly capable musicians but this couldn't be more safe or predictable if it tried. 

Hell, this song wouldn't be out of place as Muzak in an elevator. That's how far this band has fallen in my eyes (and ears). 

Date Posted: March 15 2023 at 17:58
^ prog for people with low standards!

-------------

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 15 2023 at 18:51
I think Yes could do with some new blood and/or a collaboration since the band is now just a stale, derivative copy of its past selves judging by the song.

I've thought before that Natalie Laura Mering might work well with Yes in a collaborative aspect. She goes by the stage name Weyes Blood (I'm a fan). If I still had photoshop then I'd combine their logos.

weYESblood

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: March 19 2023 at 08:56
Two Yes fans speculate on the possible sense of "romantic", as applied to this album, and a transcendental question: Is that person on the cover, maybe, Alan holding his rainstick?

Date Posted: March 21 2023 at 03:55
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I suppose the only one these days I kinda look forward to hearing is Kate Bush ... her stuff keeps changing, and is totally different all the time, and for my ears and heart, it's getting better! I think she has 2, maybe 3 more albums to make before she quits the whole thing ... who knows. One request, which she has said is not a priority ... that she would release the concert series on DVD ... per album, it was too good not to love and enjoy, but obviously from an artist perspective, she was not happy with the filming, or the attention to details, which is something I have pointed out many times is a horrible issue with rock music and its filming when it is live.

I really hope she does make 2 or 3 more albums but given that it's 12 years since the last one and she's 64 now, it seems unlikely.
Anyway going back to topic, I will give this latest Yes album a listen as I did to the previous two. Sadly The Quest is the only Yes album I haven't bought apart from Open Your Eyes (not including all the live albums and compilations) and it's probably going to stay that way. Let's hope this new one is an improvement.

Date Posted: March 21 2023 at 08:37
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I have no idea what that means, is it good?

Date Posted: May 07 2023 at 22:18
really bad album except for some Howe licks - the dribble of the singers corny lyrics make one cringe not to mention they sound like melodies from  the last few bad albums- 😣 

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: May 08 2023 at 04:09
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

really bad album except for some Howe licks - the dribble of the singers corny lyrics make one cringe not to mention they sound like melodies from  the last few bad albums- 😣 

Which classic Yes album did it remind you of?  A bad version of Fragile/Close To The Edge or Drama?   

Date Posted: May 08 2023 at 15:24
This guy is very into the title track, loves the orchestral sound, and misses some more input by Downes.

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: May 08 2023 at 17:20

When I want to listen to a new and good Yes' album, I buy a Glashammer' CD

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 08 2023 at 19:08
Originally posted by mellotronwave mellotronwave wrote:

When I want to listen to a new and good Yes' album, I buy a Glashammer' CD

That actually quite ironic considering that the recent Glass Hammer trilogy of albums sound nothing like Yes (mostly). However go back to If (released over ten years ago) and you do find a version of Yes lurking about. I guess that album was the reason Howe, Squire and co saw Davison as a potential good fit for the job of lead singer.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk