Printed Date: May 05 2024 at 23:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: who canged the music world more
Posted By: Hemispheres
Subject: who canged the music world more
Date Posted: October 15 2005 at 23:24
Beatles

-------------
[IMG]http://www.wheresthatfrom.com/avatars/miguelsanchez.gif">[IMG]http://www.rockphiles.com/all_images/Act_Images/TheMothersOfInvention/mothers300.jpg">

Replies:
Posted By: tardis
Date Posted: October 15 2005 at 23:48
Beatles, without a doubt. 

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: October 16 2005 at 00:01

I don't know who canged it

But if you are asking who changed it,there would have been no Beatles without people like Elvis,Chuck Berry,Little Richard.

So...sorry dudes,I love the Beatles but I gotta say Elvis.

-------------

Posted By: Fantômas
Date Posted: October 16 2005 at 00:52
Kraftwerk

-------------
And above all, is punk

Posted By: Hangedman
Date Posted: October 16 2005 at 01:08

^ both more than kraftwerk although kraftwerk are like the beatles of electronica.

Beatles

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 16 2005 at 01:45

Beatles

of those two

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: October 16 2005 at 01:51
same here...I don't consider Elvis changed the music world at all...

-------------

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: October 16 2005 at 05:43
Elvis - John Lennon always acknowledged the impact that hearing Elvis had on him, so no Elvis = no Beatles.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Date Posted: October 16 2005 at 05:50

Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Elvis - John Lennon always acknowledged the impact that hearing Elvis had on him, so no Elvis = no Beatles.

Finally..someone knows what the hell I am talking about.

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: October 16 2005 at 06:02
Originally posted by Hangedman Hangedman wrote:

^ both more than kraftwerk although kraftwerk are like the beatles of electronica.

Beatles

Kraftwerk are overrated, at least their latter albums. their early albums (which, for some reason, they don't want to be republished again), are a lot better. the latter ones are too mechanical and lack soul. the last one I can really listen to is "Radio-Activity", anything after that is absolutely soulless

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: krusty
Date Posted: October 16 2005 at 08:19

Absolutely....!

Or no Buddy Holly no Beatles

-------------
http://www.humanism.org.uk/site/cms/contentChapterView.asp?chapter=309" rel="nofollow - Humanism

Posted By: The Hemulen
Date Posted: October 16 2005 at 09:49
Beatles wi'out a doubt. Elvis tends to strike most people as something of a relic nowadays, whilst the Beatles' direct and indirect influence on modern music can still be seen today.

Posted By: Logos
Date Posted: October 16 2005 at 10:11
So what did Elvis do?

Posted By: porter
Date Posted: October 21 2005 at 07:27
Elvis was more of a superstar, he didn't even write his songs (at least not all of them). I don't think he "changed" the music world, whereas The Beatles DID change the music world, in so many ways.

-------------
"my kingdom for a horse!" (W. Shakespeare, "Richard III")

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: October 21 2005 at 07:48
Like most I voted for Beatles , but without Elvis , the Beatles would've never happened!

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Citanul
Date Posted: October 21 2005 at 08:00
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Like most I voted for Beatles , but without Elvis , the Beatles would've never happened!

Elvis wasn't the Beatles' only influence, so if there was no Elvis, then I think someone else would have served as the Beatles' influence and brought them together.  In any case, a lot of the things that the Beatles did that made an impact weren't influenced by Elvis at all.

-------------
Be or be not. There is no question. - Yoda, Prince of Denmark

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: October 31 2005 at 16:01
Beatles influenced most prog bands and other rock bands all over the world. Elvis just pissed people off!

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: floydaholic
Date Posted: October 31 2005 at 20:56
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

No Beatles=Boundaries still existing in rock and roll

The Beatles opened up and made accessible the idea of incorporating other genres into rock music and making it extremely listenable. They tried several different types of music throughout the course of not several albums, but just one or two. You find me any other two albums from a single band that have had as much influence as Revolver and Sgt. Pepper. You can't, they laid the groundwork for rock for the next 40 some years. Elvis was influential, but the one that starts the genre doesn't always have the most important influence.

-------------
I'll see you on the Darkside of the moon...

Posted By: Led_head04*
Date Posted: November 06 2005 at 01:02
The Beatles Influenced most bands in History, but guys' like Buddy Holiday and Elvis had a huge impact on the Beatles. 

-------------
All you need is love!!!!
       - John Lennon & Paul McCartney

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: November 06 2005 at 11:31
I chose the Beatles hear but in a free choice i would have chosen The Comets as they started Rock 'n' Roll and were would we be without them!

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: November 08 2005 at 07:33
Originally posted by floydaholic floydaholic wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

No Beatles=Boundaries still existing in rock and roll

The Beatles opened up and made accessible the idea of incorporating other genres into rock music and making it extremely listenable. They tried several different types of music throughout the course of not several albums, but just one or two. You find me any other two albums from a single band that have had as much influence as Revolver and Sgt. Pepper. You can't, they laid the groundwork for rock for the next 40 some years. Elvis was influential, but the one that starts the genre doesn't always have the most important influence.

Yup I agree with floydaholic ...

I think the most changes to the system happened because of The Beatles, even if Elvis was very important to the bands of the 60s (including the Beatles themselves) ... everything about their approach was revolutionary (recording and writing their own material) ... the usage of the studio as an instrument ... the development of the album (as opposed to singles and EPs) ... the development of lyrical content ... early examples of fusion ...

first is not always most important or most influential ... Thales vs Aristotle for example

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 08 2005 at 07:43

Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I chose the Beatles hear but in a free choice i would have chosen The Comets as they started Rock 'n' Roll and were would we be without them!

Hmm, I'm not sure The Comets actually started rock'n'roll. Although Rock Around The Clock was probably the first great rock'n'roll song, it's roots were around before that.

I've voted for The Beatles for a far greater musical influence than Presley. Although he was a great influence on The Beatles, he wasn't the only one (Holly was a bigger influence on McCartney). Presley was a singer and not really a musician - how many bands have based their musical styles on his?

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: November 08 2005 at 08:11

Elvis brought Rock and Roll to millions. He wasn't the first and didn't write his own stuff - but that's not what Pop music is about to this day.

The Beatles weren't the first to play Beat music, or use any of the techniques that they did - but they raised the bar several fold and were/are extraordinarily influential.

However, in terms of bringing something entirely new to the world of music and changing it forever, they didn't and couldn't do as much as Elvis;

Elvis took charisma to a new level - his talent lay in "being the King of Rock'n'Roll", not in any particular musical skill, but the sound his band and voice made combined with the huge publicity machine that created itself around him - not least because of the way he moved and made the girls scream - ensured that no-one would ever have the same impact on the world of music.

Style over substance - that's the major change that Elvis brought. And that's what pop "stars" do to this day.

The Beatles (thanks to George Martin) combined the two, but Elvis had already blazed the trail for them.

So Elvis changed it more, IMO.

Date Posted: November 08 2005 at 08:56

^^^^^

Nicely said,Cert

-------------

Posted By: Andrea Cortese
Date Posted: November 08 2005 at 09:00
I agree too!!

Posted By: PROGMAN
Date Posted: November 08 2005 at 10:32
Don't Know

-------------
CYMRU AM BYTH

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: November 08 2005 at 18:08
I agree with Certif1ed that the Elvis changed the way the public look at Pop music more but the Beatles had a considerably greater effect on the music that can be seen to this day so in a way their equel because they effected 2 different things in music. 

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Badabec
Date Posted: January 25 2006 at 15:28
No doubt for me, The Beatles.

Posted By: ANDREW
Date Posted: January 25 2006 at 15:54
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Elvis brought Rock and Roll to millions. He wasn't the first and didn't write his own stuff - but that's not what Pop music is about to this day.

The Beatles weren't the first to play Beat music, or use any of the techniques that they did - but they raised the bar several fold and were/are extraordinarily influential.

However, in terms of bringing something entirely new to the world of music and changing it forever, they didn't and couldn't do as much as Elvis;

Elvis took charisma to a new level - his talent lay in "being the King of Rock'n'Roll", not in any particular musical skill, but the sound his band and voice made combined with the huge publicity machine that created itself around him - not least because of the way he moved and made the girls scream - ensured that no-one would ever have the same impact on the world of music.

Style over substance - that's the major change that Elvis brought. And that's what pop "stars" do to this day.

The Beatles (thanks to George Martin) combined the two, but Elvis had already blazed the trail for them.

So Elvis changed it more, IMO.

Perfect!!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk