Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=131914
Printed Date: May 28 2024 at 00:25
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Propaganda
Posted By: bardberic
Subject: Propaganda
Date Posted: October 18 2023 at 23:44

Please be careful out there. There is a lot of propaganda and disinformation floating around. Please use nuance and apply media literacy whenever you read something. Nothing can be trusted or taken face value anymore...

I may make a longer post tomorrow. idk.
idk what to do anymore, or what to say...
i am disappointed...

Replies:
Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 00:46
It is almost impossible to KNOW you're right about any of the big narratives of our time. For each of them there are a number of "counter-narratives", and for each of the competing narratives there are many sources to quote, many debunkings, many confirmations, each of which have their own sets of confirmations or debunkings. A bottomless rabbit hole ...

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 01:01
The 'fake news' thing has almost come full circle and people are beginning to watch PBS, BBC and CNN again because the obsessive morons of the 'real news' have started losing all credibility in their unsubstantiated rantings and extremist entertainment.   Last time I saw Joe Rogan he was sitting back in a chair smoking a cigar and laughing about how Trump's property values were undervalued.   Way to go, Joe.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 01:59
Unfortunately the mainstream media are not automatically vindicated just because a few crackpot conspiracy theorists are shown to be wrong. "The comfort of opinion" indeed ...

-------------

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 06:05
Most of the news is propaganda. Lies by omission are lies. Truth out of context is a lie.  There are a thousand ways to lie and the media uses all of them.  I don't believe anything the media reports unless they can prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt.  With each passing day, more people distrust the media.  Fifty percent of Americans believe the media is purposely attempting to mislead them. 

https://fortune.com/2023/02/15/trust-in-media-low-misinform-mislead-biased-republicans-democrats-poll-gallup/

I don't trust the article I posted, because it's media.  That said, my husband just purchased Haken tickets...and that's the truth.Wink

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 07:01
^ It's not only lies, but also bullsh*t. Turns out there is a difference, and bullsh*t may be worse ...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/dec/22/politics-difference-between-lies-bullsh*t" rel="nofollow - https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/dec/22/politics-difference-between-lies-bullsh*t

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 07:16
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

It is almost impossible to KNOW you're right about any of the big narratives of our time. For each of them there are a number of "counter-narratives", and for each of the competing narratives there are many sources to quote, many debunkings, many confirmations, each of which have their own sets of confirmations or debunkings. A bottomless rabbit hole ...

Hi,

There are many ways to know ... but one would be looking at the incorrect place to find an answer, since the spiritual ones that know don't need the internet or your opinion to know what they know and do.

The problem arises even more, when you are not centered enough to know anything, and anything is better than nothing! And this is what the media has become, a nice gimme from the memememe generation!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 07:19
Apart from lies and bullsh*t, there is also the option that many things look genuinely different from different angles or with a different back story and different experiences in mind. Different people may be convinced by even contradictory "facts" because of that.

Of course manipulation and lies do happen. But in many controversies it also pays off to try our best to understand the position from which the other person is coming, and how they come to the convictions they have, even if we don't agree with them. Disagreeing with arguments still respecting the point of view the other person has is more constructive than accusing them of lying or bullsh*tting.

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 07:40
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Apart from lies and bullsh*t, there is also the option that many things look genuinely different from different angles or with a different back story and different experiences in mind. Different people may be convinced by even contradictory "facts" because of that.

Of course manipulation and lies do happen. But in many controversies it also pays off to try our best to understand the position from which the other person is coming, and how they come to the convictions they have, even if we don't agree with them. Disagreeing with arguments still respecting the point of view the other person has is more constructive than accusing them of lying or bullsh*tting.

True.  What would help?  Critical thinking, logic, statistics, and the scientific method need to be taught, beginning in grammar school and continuing through each layer of the University system.   A greater percentage of the masses could see through the lies.  It's not going to happen.  Dumb downed populations are easy to confuse, fool, and control. Governments don't want a critical-thinking population.  The government likes a population that thinks they are intelligent because they have a college degree.  

Many people confuse a college education with the ability to utilize critical thinking skills.  I know plumbers and electricians who demonstrate better critical thinking skills than college-educated post-graduates. 

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 09:19
^ Sometimes understanding a problem does not require higher education at all, but - in addition to common sense and logic 101 - an absence of bias. Unfortunately our human societal structures inevitably lead to problems like group think and tribal/mob mentalities. Something the media apparatus knows how to exploit. The result is a vicious cycle where false beliefs and bogus narratives are amplified, while solitary voices pointing out the problem are ridiculed and ostracised and seen as troublemakers, destroying the comfort of opinion with their insistence on thought.,

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 09:40
Found a good quote:

“The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human.”
(Aldous Huxley)

-------------

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 09:51
I love when user says this:
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I don't believe anything the media reports unless they can prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt

and then proceeds to post a 100% propaganda

It is almost impossible to KNOW you're right about any of the big narratives of our time
unless you're trusting Scott Ritter of course

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 10:05
^ of course you had to go there.

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 10:11
it's just so funny to see you two being so holier-than-thou in this thread, I just can't

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 10:42
Well, some of us can even admit mistakes. Let’s leave it at that, goodbye. Will not respond to your trolling ever again.

-------------

Posted By: Easy Money
Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 11:14

Well, some of us can even admit mistakes. Let’s leave it at that, goodbye. Will not respond to your trolling ever again.

“The propagandist's purpose is to make one set of people forget that certain other sets of people are human.”
(Aldous Huxley)

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 11:22
To be clear: I will respond to reasonable questions and comments. I’m not de-humanizing anyone, as far as I can tell.

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 11:28
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

I love when user says this:

I don't believe anything the media reports unless they can prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt

and then proceeds to post a 100% propaganda

It is almost impossible to KNOW you're right about any of the big narratives of our time
unless you're trusting Scott Ritter of course

Please explain how what I said was propaganda, Progjester. 

1.  I claimed that most media is propaganda.   How was my claim propaganda?  And, who benefits from my statement? 

2. I claimed, "Lies by omission are lies".  How is that propaganda?  
An example of a lie by omission- If I claim that the police mercilessly shot my brother dead, but I neglected to report that my brother had first fired shots at the police.   

3. I claimed that "truth out of context" is a lie  How is that propaganda?  Here is a lie by "truth out of context" using statistics. 
 Suppose an anti-gun group reports that a town's murder rate increased by 300% over a ten-year period.  But they neglect to tell you that only one person was murdered in the first ten years.  And that three were murdered in the next ten years.  In addition, they neglect to tell you that the town's population doubled in the intervening ten-year period.   

Here's an article describing the art of lying by telling the truth.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20171114-the-disturbing-art-of-lying-by-telling-the-truth

4. I admitted that I don't believe the news unless it's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt.  How is that propaganda?   I merely admitted my personal way of viewing the news.  

5. I claimed as time goes by, more people distrust the media.  Do you think my statement is untrue?  If it's a lie then you must believe that as time goes by...more people trust the media.  The second law of thermodynamics suggests that everything is changing.  Therefore the percentage of people believing the media must fluctuate.  It can't stay the same, since everything changes all the time.  Therefore, either more or less people believe the media as time goes by. 

6. I claimed that an article claimed that 50% of Americans think the media deliberately misleads them.  Then I said I did not trust the article, because it was media too.   How was my statement a lie or propaganda?  Wink

I believe all governments use media propaganda.  Russia, China, America, EU...

Progjester, if you believe the governments that you DON'T LIKE exclusively use propaganda then you were fooled by government propaganda from a government you like. 

Posted By: CosmicVibration
Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 11:44
For propaganda to be truly successful, especially long term, you also need censorship.  Propaganda and censorship are 2 sides of the same coin.  With a high mixture of fear and desperation  you can get people to do anything.

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 11:50
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

For propaganda to be truly successful, especially long term, you also need censorship.  Propaganda and censorship are 2 sides of the same coin.  With a high mixture of fear and desperation  you can get people to do anything.

Excellent point.Wink

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 11:57
Ah the propaganda thread, it may not have been the op's intention, but to PA's resident keyboard warriors, its an open invitation to assert their propaganda ... and off we go.

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 12:12
^ Y e p---   and for you 'news deniers', you are absolutely hilarious!   You think people who watch "the news" actually believe it's all absolutely true ?!    HAAA HA Ha ha !!   That is hilarious !

YOU, the fake news hounds, have become the liars, the mis-leaders.   The fools.   If I were a serious hard-working young journalist or reporter and one of you jackasses decided to call me a fraud, I'd punch you in the face and go to jail for with pleasure.   But you will continue your bitter, bizarre, paranoid campaign... as if anyone cares about your agenda.   

It's sad.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 12:20
I may have been wrong on some things, but at least I’m not consistently acting like an a****le here.

-------------

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 12:32

Sparks - Propaganda + At Home, At Work, At Play

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 13:01
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Y e p---   and for you 'news deniers', you are absolutely hilarious!   You think people who watch "the news" actually believe it's all absolutely true ?!    HAAA HA Ha ha !!   That is hilarious !

YOU, the fake news hounds, have become the liars, the mis-leaders.   The fools.   If I were a serious hard-working young journalist or reporter and one of you jackasses decided to call me a fraud, I'd punch you in the face and go to jail for with pleasure.   But you will continue your bitter, bizarre, paranoid campaign... as if anyone cares about your agenda.   

It's sad.

Yeah, a typical technique of a con artist, demagogue or brain washing cultist is to convince you that you can't tell truth from fiction or right from wrong, etc.

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 13:10

^ Y e p---   and for you 'news deniers', you are absolutely hilarious!   You think people who watch "the news" actually believe it's all absolutely true ?!    HAAA HA Ha ha !!   That is hilarious !

It's sad.

Who are you talking to/about? I don’t know anyone to whom this description applies. The “bitter, bizarre, paranoid campaign” part strikes me as projection though.

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 14:27

I may have been wrong on some things, but at least I’m not consistently acting like an a****le here.

EDIT:  In the face of ignorance, a****le-ishness is sometimes the best cure.

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 14:46

[QUOTE

I the face of ignorance, a****le-ishness is sometimes the best cure.

[/QUOTE]

Freudian slip?Wink

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 15:12
^ If you believe in Freud.

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 15:51

^ If you believe in Freud.

Yeah, I don't listen to elitists with college degrees, youtube is where its at baby, you can learn everything there.

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 16:10
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

It's sad.

Yeah, a typical technique of a con artist, demagogue or brain washing cultist is to convince you that you can't tell truth from fiction or right from wrong, etc.

This is what's called a red herring ... 

"and for you 'news deniers', you are absolutely hilarious" ok, who are these "news deniers"? What does the phrase even mean? Is that people who deny all news? I've never met such a person.

"You think people who watch "the news" actually believe it's all absolutely true?" No. Neither do I know anyone who thinks that.

"YOU, the fake news hounds, have become the liars, the mis-leaders.   The fools." Ok, prove it. In order to do so, you need to give an example. Who do you mean? Name one of these "fake news hounds" and give an example of a lie they've told, and how you determined that it actually was a lie.

"one of you jackasses decided to call me a fraud" Nobody has done so in this thread.

"to convince you that you can't tell truth from fiction or right from wrong" Who in this thread or my recent one has argued that position? Nobody. I said that it is impossible to KNOW anything, by which I mean that when it comes to news, we can't verify all of that ourselves - for all practical purposes we need to trust one or more sources. But that does not mean that we can't figure out which of the competing narratives are more consistent than others. And when it comes to "right from wrong", that's a completely separate issue which none here have said anything about, as I can recall.

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 20:51
Oh my mistake. I thought i was checking out the Properpanda discussion. Do carry on. Cheerio.

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 21:51
I hear Panzerpappa is cool.

Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 22:20
^ and Panzerballett!

-------------

Posted By: Necrotica
Date Posted: October 19 2023 at 22:41
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

^ and Panzerballett!

EXTREMELY underrated band Smile

-------------
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 00:32
^ They're extremely talented ... I remember discussing them for inclusion here in 2005 when I was still in the prog metal team. Clap

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 06:35
Will you fight for the rights of cabbages? Will you fight for the rights of lima beans?? Sucked up into outer space, I was forced to eat planets. My poops are so large that they block out the sun. All the eggs have escaped and all we're left with are coloring books. It's the right thing to do if you have a feed bag. The core of the Earth is made out of hampers. Viewer discretion is advised.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 06:58
This is the only Propaganda that I passionately believe in....

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 09:03
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Will you fight for the rights of cabbages? Will you fight for the rights of lima beans?? Sucked up into outer space, I was forced to eat planets. My poops are so large that they block out the sun. All the eggs have escaped and all we're left with are coloring books. It's the right thing to do if you have a feed bag. The core of the Earth is made out of hampers. Viewer discretion is advised.

Stop spreading your propaganda! Think about the children! They won't understand and turn to unthinkable self-harm. Just reading this makes me want to snort packets of jell-o!

-------------

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 10:00

Stop spreading your propaganda! Think about the children! They won't understand and turn to unthinkable self-harm. Just reading this makes me want to snort packets of jell-o!

Whoops! Embarrassed I thought with a thread title like Propaganda, we were supposed to post propaganda, or at least something about poop or coloring books. My bad. Eating too many meteorological pants certainly puts things in perspective. I hope I brought my microfiber floor mop. May your snack bags be snack bags!

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 10:08
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

This is the only Propaganda that I passionately believe in....
oh wow I discovered something actually cool thanks to this thread

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 10:22

Whoops! Embarrassed I thought with a thread title like Propaganda, we were supposed to post propaganda, or at least something about poop or coloring books. My bad. Eating too many meteorological pants certainly puts things in perspective. I hope I brought my microfiber floor mop. May your snack bags be snack bags!

How dare you call my snack bags snack bags, you silly aardvark! May the ants you feast upon exhibit whirlings of psychedelic undulations that reverberate into meteorological metamorphosis! And how did you know i love to eat Poop Tarts?

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 11:05

Ah the propaganda thread, it may not have been the op's intention, but to PA's resident keyboard warriors, its an open invitation to assert their propaganda ... and off we go.
OP's intention was to remind everyone here to use nuance and apply media literacy when reading about current events or history and not to fall for sensationalist headlines completely built around deliberate lies manifesting as propaganda. OP wants people here not be f**king idiots, like the major media companies, and spread disinformation that leads to the burning down of a historic synagogue in Tunsia because people are angry at an event that did not happen and were falsely reported without being fact checked.

OP is simultaneously outraged and disappointed and believes the parties responsible for their lack of journalistic integrity need to either need to take accountability or to be held liable for their careless and dangerous recklessness.

OP has lost all faith in the media, and doesn't trust anything he reads online anymore.

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 11:35
Investigative reporting seems to be a dead art.  News outlets mostly push whatever narrative they are being fed and spout opinions. 

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 14:42
^ Tell that to an investigative reporter.

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 15:14
^ I bet any real journalists that are left would agree.  Are there still any real journalists left in mainstream media, or did they all leave?  

The major news networks function more like reality shows than news networks!

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 15:18
^ You mean the real journalists would agree with my post, or yours-- ?  

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 15:32
^ His point is that there seem to be hardly any real journalists left in the mainstream media. Actually if there are, they probably agree with his post more than with yours, since he is not attacking them.

Your actual point seems to be that he is accusing "real" journalists of not doing their job properly. Can you give a few examples of current "real" journalism in mainstream media? Then we could look at that and see whether we all agree that it is actually good, and why (or why not).

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 15:49
Yeah I got his point.  This is why text discussions can be challenging.

Real journalism in mainstream media?   That's easy, but I'm not really looking to debate who may or may not be real journalists in your eyes.   I think of Rachel Maddow (who just released Prequel about the history of Fascism in the US), I think of the reporters in Ukraine & the Middle east, I think of the hard-working people who produce Democracy Now.   

But again, what I take issue with is the assumption, in fact the complete belief, that other individuals ~ serious people, as serious as anyone else who takes things seriously, who know a hell of a lot more about what's going on in the world than you or I do---   y'know, who have been there ~ are not only fooling themselves but intentionally misleading everyone else.   It doesn't ring true and smacks of the current wave of "don't believe anything you see or hear or smell or read or taste or feel or perceive."

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 16:28

Real journalism in mainstream media?   That's easy, but I'm not really looking to debate who may or may not be real journalists in your eyes.   I think of Rachel Maddow (who just released Prequel about the history of Fascism in the US), I think of the reporters in Ukraine & the Middle east, I think of the hard-working people who produce Democracy Now.   

But again, what I take issue with is the assumption, in fact the complete belief, that other individuals ~ serious people, as serious as anyone else who takes things seriously, who know a hell of a lot more about what's going on in the world than you or I do---   y'know, who have been there ~ are not only fooling themselves but intentionally misleading everyone else.   It doesn't ring true and smacks of the current wave of "don't believe anything you see or hear or smell or read or taste or feel or perceive."

Rachel Maddow, really?  I have to admit i hardly ever listen to her but what i did hear, especially during the pandemic, she was a total idiot.  Why wasn't she censored for all her misinformation?

I would consider Matt Taibbi to be of professional quality.

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 16:37
^ So that's one for you.   There must be others... besides I don't think many people would want to tell Taibbi he's a misinforming phony to his face.

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 16:42

Ok, I'll bite - about Rachel Maddow: https://www.racket.news/p/rachel-maddows-shocking-new-low" rel="nofollow - https://www.racket.news/p/rachel-maddows-shocking-new-low

Please spare me the accusation of being pro-Trump (which I'm not) - this is about propaganda, and the whole Russiagate thing was, we know by now, pure propaganda. 

What you take issue with is something that is evidently true: If you look at the complete landscape of journalism you'll find people who have been working in the field, often literally (reporting from the battlefield), are well respected and quoted by major platforms, and yet arrive at polar opposite positions from one another. That MUST mean that some (or - unlikely - all) of them are either fooling themselves or intentionally misleading people. It doesn't matter what they say in particular, or which topic we look at - if they arrive at mutually exclusive positions, then they can't all be right.

The unfortunate truth is that we humans are easy to fool. Those pescy emotions and biases ...

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 16:53
^ But if the perceptions are in variance, that just shows the perceptions of those individuals are at least sincere and correct to the best of that reporter's knowledge, not part of one or more scripts schemes or conspiracies, but which will certainly be incomplete and inadequate.   But that's just reality.

-------------

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 20:09
Oh! I was hoping this might be a discussion/appreciation thread for the underappreciated 1980s international pop group that worked with Trevor Horn and others. Oh well.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Date Posted: October 20 2023 at 20:33
Shake yer booty to the REAL Propaganda in the house!

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: October 21 2023 at 04:30

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: David_D
Date Posted: October 21 2023 at 06:22

The big narratives are not only about facts but also about ideologies, and thus deeply sticking and complicated - which doesn't mean, they're impossible to deal with, it just needs quite a bit of effort.

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Date Posted: October 21 2023 at 16:29
^ I would say that the big narratives are mostly about ideologies. All of them include facts, fake facts, correct assumptions and wrong assumptions, which makes it really hard to figure them out. Congratulations if you managed to do it, in which case I would wonder how you can be certain of it. I have put a lot of effort in the attempt, and I would say that I know a lot more about many of them than the typical person does, yet I am in no way certain that I have figured them out. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 21 2023 at 16:34
Originally posted by bardberic bardberic wrote:

OP's intention was to remind everyone here to use nuance and apply media literacy when reading about current events or history and not to fall for sensationalist headlines completely built around deliberate lies manifesting as propaganda. OP wants people here not be f**king idiots, like the major media companies, and spread disinformation that leads to the burning down of a historic synagogue in Tunsia because people are angry at an event that did not happen and were falsely reported without being fact checked.

OP is simultaneously outraged and disappointed and believes the parties responsible for their lack of journalistic integrity need to either need to take accountability or to be held liable for their careless and dangerous recklessness.

OP has lost all faith in the media, and doesn't trust anything he reads online anymore.

This is the problem: If you dig just a little bit into the mainstream media news, you find lots of contradictions. I agree that none of it is trustworthy anymore, but if that is so, how can you even approach media "literacy"? 

Of course I know which event you are refering to, and I agree - but there are probably deeper layers of understanding that are more difficult to fathom and also more problematic in terms of ideology than just the direct debunking of the mainstream message covering it.

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2023 at 05:08

^ I would say that the big narratives are mostly about ideologies. All of them include facts, fake facts, correct assumptions and wrong assumptions, which makes it really hard to figure them out. Congratulations if you managed to do it, in which case I would wonder how you can be certain of it. I have put a lot of effort in the attempt, and I would say that I know a lot more about many of them than the typical person does, yet I am in no way certain that I have figured them out. 

A world without ideologies would be a world of populism, selfishness and a lot of other bad things - which doesn't mean all ideologies are good.

-------------

Date Posted: October 22 2023 at 09:24

How can you be certain?  You can't be 100% certain. However, you can manage a certainty level above 90% in many instances. Dive deep into a logic/critical thinking/statistics/ scientific method education.  Dry test your skills against hundreds of examples of empirical data.  Observe where your skills falter.  Adapt/Adjust.

Make sure your critical thinking skills consistently agree with empirical data. For example: I'm a biologist and RN. Biologists know that bacterial and viral diseases tend to mutate into LESS virulent forms. In 2020/2021, the media scared people into thinking COVID-19 would mutate into something even worse. Immediately I remembered mounds of bacterial/viral mutation empirical data. I thought, " Are decades worth of disease mutation data false, or is the media lying?"  

Constantly double-check your critical thinking skills.  Does your logic alert you to lies, faulty data, and inconsistent logic? Put alternative explanations through your critical thinking grinder.  Discard faulty explanations/hypotheses.  Often, more than one explanation passes through your critical thinking shredder, relatively unscathed.  Ask yourself, " Can both explanations be simultaneously true?"  Sure...happens all the time.  On the other hand, if the explanations are contradictory, you'll need more data to decipher the truth.  

As you refine your critical thinking skills, you will easily spot patterns that confused you in your younger daze.  Also, you'll realize instances when you do not have enough information to decode the propaganda.  You'll think, " I'm missing something."  Wait for it.  Usually, an obvious solution will reveal itself.  You just need to wait for a few more cards to be played.

If you studied the scientific method and stats, you can make predictions and apply statistical tests to measure the correlations.  Empirical data suggests a correlation.  Cause and effect are more difficult to prove, but you can at least rise above the noise and confusion and carry on like a wayward son. Wink

Don't be afraid to be wrong.  It's OK to be wrong...just don't stay wrong.  Treasure times when you're wrong.  These are the most valuable.  Why? Because you just improved your critical thinking skills by discarding faulty data for more reliable data.  

Date Posted: October 23 2023 at 07:05

Ideologies are first and foremost a matter of values. So it's much about to clarify with oneself which values one consider to be the most important, and then try to support those ideologies which best correspond to those values. And as Cindy says, it's OK to be wrong...or it's better to be wrong than not to take any stance at all.

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2023 at 08:10
^ sure, there is a connection between ideologies and values. But when it comes to propaganda, it's more about truth. Propaganda is just a euphemism for lies and bullsh*t, often for the purpose of advancing an ideology or ulterior motive (profit).

So the question is: Can propaganda be used to advance an ideology, if it represents values you approve of? Or put more simply: Do the ends justify the means?

-------------

Date Posted: October 23 2023 at 08:34

^ sure, there is a connection between ideologies and values. But when it comes to propaganda, it's more about truth. Propaganda is just a euphemism for lies and bullsh*t, often for the purpose of advancing an ideology or ulterior motive (profit).

So the question is: Can propaganda be used to advance an ideology, if it represents values you approve of? Or put more simply: Do the ends justify the means?

Your first post, beginning with "It is almost impossible to KNOW you're right about any of the big narratives of our time. ", was about the big narratives in general, and it's only that I've responded to. Wink

-------------

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: October 24 2023 at 08:23
For those of you who don't trust the "mainstream media", I have two questions:
1. What is/who are the "mainstream media" according to you?
2. What are your (more or less) trusted information sources?

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: October 24 2023 at 09:54
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

1 - Breitbart News Network, One America News Network (OAN), FOX News (It's truly what they've become sadly)
2 - My puppy's plush love toy, Moose. It's never lied to me once.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: October 24 2023 at 11:39

1. If it's on TV, I do not trust it.  If a pattern emerges, such that an online publication like Huffpost parrots either CNN, CNBC, or FOX...I discard it as a source. I do not trust Wikipedia. Wikipedia is not allowed by Universities or any serious publication as a source.   If you use Wikipedia on a college paper...you'll receive an F.  I don't trust any media organization owned by Google, Yahoo, or partially owned by BlackRock and Vanguard. 

Together, BlackRock and Vanguard own:

• Eighteen percent of Fox.

• Sixteen percent of CBS, and therefore also of Sixty Minutes.

• Thirteen percent of Comcast, which owns NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, and the Sky media group.

• Twelve percent of CNN.

• Twelve percent of Disney, which owns ABC and FiveThirtyEight.

• Between ten and fourteen percent of Gannett, which owns more than 250 Gannett daily newspapers plus USA Today.

• Ten percent of the Sinclair local television news, which controls seventy-two percent of U.S. households’ local TV.

• A large unspecified chunk of Graham Media Group, which owns Slate and Foreign Policy.

Wink

Date Posted: October 24 2023 at 11:46

Some mainstream media outlets, but there are many more.

CNN

ABC

MSNBC

Fox News

Huffpost

The Atlantic

Guardian

Ironically, I viewed Fox News as the worst in BS output until about 3 years ago and things seemed to have flipped.

I still scan my iphone for news articles, which mostly consist of the list above plus others such as Bloomburg, The Hill, Washington Post, etc.

Rumble can be a good source with folks like Matt Taibbi and others that I can’t remember the names offhand.  There are podcasts like Dark Horse and Joe Rogan that have interesting guests.

Date Posted: October 24 2023 at 13:16

If it's not printed on paper and kept in archives, I generally don't trust it. I can maybe trust some TV channels, but not internet sites, who most likely don't keep archives. If I hear something on radio, I will have to "read" it somewhere else for me to start believing it.

1. In times of heavy war tensions, journalism tends to sleep in the extablishment's bed >> see the Cold War propaganda that all western mainstream medias relayed for decades from the 40's to the end of the 80's. It somewhat disappeared from 90 until 05.

2. I tend to trust like you, Le Monde Diplomatique (but not really the daily Le Monde), but also Le Canard Enchainé (even if I almost never read it, because too Franco-centric) and Charlie Hebdo.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 03:31
A good guideline is to look for people who have a proven ability to criticise themselves and admit mistakes. Proper propaganda doesn't come with self-doubt.

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 06:28
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Your first post, beginning with "It is almost impossible to KNOW you're right about any of the big narratives of our time. ", was about the big narratives in general, and it's only that I've responded to. Wink

But I'd like to point that the term "propaganda" has been used very differently and in much more complicated ways than you tell us in this post of yours.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 06:37
^ Propaganda is simply information spread with the intention of influencing people, with the implication being that it's false or bullsh*t. I think that the usage of the word in this thread has been largely compatible with this definition. If you do not, by all means elaborate.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 07:07

But I'd like to point that the term "propaganda" has been used very differently and in much more complicated ways than you tell us in this post of yours.

I better correct it to:

But I'd like to point that the term "propaganda" has been used in various and much more complicated ways than you tell us in this post of yours.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 07:10

^ Propaganda is simply information spread with the intention of influencing people, with the implication being that it's false or bullsh*t. I think that the usage of the word in this thread has been largely compatible with this definition. If you do not, by all means elaborate.

What I mean can be read in this article by Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda  .

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 07:33

What I mean can be read in this article by Wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda  .

Wikipedia is a major source of propaganda.  If you use Wikipedia as a source on a college paper, you'll receive an F.  Wink

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 07:33
^ Not going to read ten pages of definitions just because you aren't able to make a concise point.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 08:01

^ Not going to read ten pages of definitions just because you aren't able to make a concise point.

Not necessary either, you've already got the main point. The rest of it, just if you're curious. Big smile

-------------

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 08:05

I do not trust Wikipedia. Wikipedia is not allowed by Universities or any serious publication as a source.   If you use Wikipedia on a college paper...you'll receive an F.

People criticise Wikipedia, but there was https://www.nature.com/articles/438900a" rel="nofollow - a study performed by Nature in which Wikipedia was compared with Encyclopedia Brittanica. In this study, it was found that Wikipedia had on average about four inaccuracies per article compared to about three for Encyclopedia Brittanica. That's not a big difference considering their reputations.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 08:14

Wikipedia is a major source of propaganda.  If you use Wikipedia as a source on a college paper, you'll receive an F.  Wink

Colleges and universities have their own propaganda. Wink

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 08:18

Not necessary either, you've already got the main point. The rest of it, just if you're curious. Big smile

If your point is simply that there are unnecessarily complex definitions of the word propaganda being used on the interwebs, I don't disagree Smile

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 08:32
First of all, yes Wikipedia is an absolutely atrocious source for information. I don't care what study stated it's not much worse than Britannica - inaccuracies aren't the only thing to look for., i I have no clue how they're even defining inaccuracies. Wikipedia indeed is a major offender of spreading propaganda and misinformation, and this is due to the way the site operates, which is fundamentally flawed in regards to how they "validate" information there. It echoes what third party sources say, and the editors are not allowed to apply nuance or critical thinking. So if the biased, propagandized mainstream media makes an untruthful claim, it is valid as a Wikipedia source abs wouldn't necessarily count as an "inaccuracy," per se. At least the English Wikipedia is. The German and Hebrew sites are significantly more trustworthy. Wikipedia is fine for finding sources and references to non-political topics, but nothing should be taken as face value on the articles themselves. Not to mention the Wikipedian community is the most toxic place on the internet with morally questionable administration and an notorious, and often times enforced, left-winged bias.

With that said, propaganda is not always nonfactual. In fact, the best and most effective propaganda builds upon real world truths. The goal of propaganda is indeed to persuade public opinion on a certain matter, and this is ultimately done through taking information out of context and applying or even implying a subjective conclusion to it to appeal mostly to human pathos. In this regard, propaganda relies on fallacious emotion rather than contextualization of the subject matter. The point of propaganda of to have people pick the side they propagandist(s) want(s) them to as quickly as possible and with as little information as possible by appealing to their emotional side through logical fallacy. While it's easier to provide straight up lies, it's more effective to be stretch the truth in order to manipulate the target in being swayed. In the end, this era of headline reliance, doomscrolling, and hashtag culture has led to a generation of f**king idiots who cannot critically think, and thus even comprehend the complexities of most global affairs. This is propaganda at work - complacency with ones ignorance. It's fueling the fires of war and actually dragging on conflict through the eyes of the worldstage.

And nobody who falls victim to this even understands why. We need to teach our children to learn how to critically analyze information instead of feeding them "facts" to be taken as "truths." This is exactly how our youth has become so easily manipulated by propaganda. TikTok, Twitter, Instagram and f**king hastags provide an easy "take my side or you're wrong" approach sharing information, and the receivers literally do not even know that they can question what they're being told. I'm deeply concerned where we are heading. And I'm greatly disappointed in how we've allowed ourselves to get to this point.

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 08:57
^ the CIA playbook uses 80% truth poisoned with 20% propaganda similar to poisoning a gallon of fresh water with a tiny bit of polluting material.

Wikipedia is a well known CIA driven source of propaganda. In fact around the late 1800s and early 1900s the world's educational systems were changed to fit the Prussian model, the birthplace of the German Nazi regime.

The robber barons around the year 1900 were fearful of uprisings of peasants and commenced to "re-educate" through manipulated systems therefore encyclopedias and text books were rewritten and educational systems were completely overhauled.

If you are lucky enough to find an old encyclopedia set from the 1800s and compare it to what would emerge in the early 1900s you would see how radically different they are. There was a clear attempt to rewrite history around that time for the goal of complete social engineering.

When the CIA and other alphabet agencies were created in the late 1940s by Project Paperclip Nazis that the US imported, these programs escalated big time which brings us into the current era.

Wikipedia is great for subjects that aren't important to the power structure but controversial subjects are completely propagandized.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 08:59

An excellent point, that I'm painfully aware of.  I take at least one University course each spring/fall semester.  If it's a biology, physics, math, or chemistry class... the propaganda is minimal.   That said, propaganda is creeping into biology when it comes to biological/political issues. 

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 09:03

The fact that there's propaganda for a certain claim does in no way imply that the claim is false.

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 09:06
In fact around the late 1800s and early 1900s the world's educational systems were changed to fit the Prussian model, the birthplace of the German Nazi regime.
By whom?

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 13:08

An excellent point, that I'm painfully aware of.  I take at least one University course each spring/fall semester.  If it's a biology, physics, math, or chemistry class... the propaganda is minimal.   That said, propaganda is creeping into biology when it comes to biological/political issues. 

But of course, Wikipedia is not research on such a high level as colleges and universities.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 14:25
It is the fault of those who who are unable take information with a critical eye as much as it is the fault of bad information.   It blames the sources instead of the reader.   Don't like Wikipedia?  Start your own goddamned website.

Complainers.   They criticize, start conflict, and then run away and hide in their little basements to let the adults figure it out... and the Complainers run the world right now.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 14:38

It is the fault of those who who are unable take information with a critical eye as much as it is the fault of bad information.   It blames the sources instead of the reader.   Don't like Wikipedia?  Start your own goddamned website.

Complainers.   They criticize, start conflict, and then run away and hide in their little basements to let the adults figure it out... and the Complainers run the world right now.

LOL. LOL Love the visual of propaganda critics scurrying away and hiding in their little basements. Shocked

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 15:39
^ So do I.

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 17:37

Propaganda is just a euphemism for lies and bullsh*t, often for the purpose of advancing an ideology or ulterior motive (profit).

But I like your apparent contempt for lies and bulsh*tting. Smile

-------------

Date Posted: October 25 2023 at 23:58

Yes, the world would be so much better if people stopped asking questions and simply believed their government and its affiliated news outlets 100%. Asking questions is evil, do as you're told is good. Looking back at history it is obvious that all good things come from blindly following orders! And even if things go wrong ... it's never the fault of the people at the top - it's we idiots who simply aren't able to understand them properly! 

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2023 at 01:23
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The fact that there's propaganda for a certain claim does in no way imply that the claim is false.

It is a little more complicated. Propaganda usually works like this:

"We need to do X because Y" where X is a proposed goal (which is a lie), and Y is some claim that is either a lie or bullsh*t. You are certainly correct in that when we expose the Y claim as propaganda, it does not automatically follow that the goal stated in X is false.

Example: "We need to invade Irak because they have weapons of mass destruction". The fact that they did not have WMDs does not mean there was no reason to invade the country, it just means that there is much less reason to do so, and that more people would have criticised the decision to send troops there. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2023 at 15:26

Wikipedia is an absolutely atrocious source for information

I strongly disagree. I find Wikipedia to be quite a good source of information, much better than what might be expected from an encyclopedia that anyone can edit. I have learnt quite a lot from Wikipedia, including from a wide range of highly technical subjects. I am often impressed by what articles are in Wikipedia. For example, there is even an article on the railway station that services the suburb of Sydney where I grew up.

Wikipedia indeed is a major offender of spreading propaganda and misinformation

Wikipedia is not an instrument of propaganda. That is just paranoia. Particular articles may be written and/or edited by people with a vested interest, but this issue is more about the particular topics than about Wikipedia as a whole. If you're finding propaganda in Wikipedia, it is likely because you are looking up topics that are prone to propaganda. That is not Wikipedia's fault, and perhaps shows that it is you who is biased.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Date Posted: October 26 2023 at 15:51
I do a lot of work for other music sites and Wiki is quite good at band and album info. The best is Discogs and AllMusic, but Wiki is close. I can't recall ever seeing a particular mistake in that subject area.

Also was doing some reading on remote islands in the Atlantic and Pacific and wiki's info matched most other resources I had read as well.

I also like to read about past presidential primaries and look at the stats from any past year, once again the info is correct and don't recall seeing any unnecessary opinions thrown in, just the facts.
I can see why college professors don't want to see wiki in a research paper, any good prof is going to want you to dig deeper. Using wiki would seem lazy in that situation.

Date Posted: October 26 2023 at 16:20
^ Yeah because it's about taking in information from different sources and making the best judgement. Incorrect data?   Count on it.   Easily misled readers?   Oh yes.   

Quite frankly I don't believe anything.

-------------

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: October 26 2023 at 16:27
^^^^I have been a wiki editor, and also have written essays for college, and the process for the wiki articles I created or just added to was a lot more laborious and painstaking than the college essays I worked on. (just a bit of feedback by someone who has done both)

Date Posted: October 26 2023 at 16:32
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

If you're finding propaganda in Wikipedia, it is likely because you are looking up topics that are prone to propaganda. That is not Wikipedia's fault, and perhaps shows that it is you who is biased. 

Ok - so if I'm looking up topics that are prone to propaganda, I am biased? In that case, please explain the bias.

The problem with Wikipedia is that it is not a neutral platform. In theory anyone can edit all the information, but in reality the editing is heavily biased towards popular political narratives.

Here's a video with more details.

(preparing for lots of comments on who made the video, and hardly any comments on the points made)

-------------

Date Posted: October 26 2023 at 17:56

If you're finding propaganda in Wikipedia, it is likely because you are looking up topics that are prone to propaganda. That is not Wikipedia's fault, and perhaps shows that it is you who is biased. 

Ok - so if I'm looking up topics that are prone to propaganda, I am biased? In that case, please explain the bias.

The problem with Wikipedia is that it is not a neutral platform. In theory anyone can edit all the information, but in reality the editing is heavily biased towards popular political narratives.

Here's a video with more details.

(preparing for lots of comments on who made the video, and hardly any comments on the points made)

The bias to which I refer is the bias towards topics that are prone to propaganda. There are millions of topics on Wikipedia of which the vast majority would not be prone to propaganda. To repudiate the entirety of Wikipedia on the basis of a very small proportion of it is a strongly biased viewpoint.

It is the nature of politics to be propagandising, and I challenge you to find any political discussion that is free of bias, either to the left or to the right. People in the wider community do tend to lean either to the left or to the right, so why should Wikipedia be any different, especially given that it is catering to those people in the wider community? In other words, you are accusing Wikipedia of a problem that is really a problem with the wider community.

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2023 at 00:48

The bias to which I refer is the bias towards topics that are prone to propaganda. There are millions of topics on Wikipedia of which the vast majority would not be prone to propaganda. To repudiate the entirety of Wikipedia on the basis of a very small proportion of it is a strongly biased viewpoint.

That's not a "bias". You are essentially saying "Wikipedia does not contain a lot of propaganda in all the areas which are not prone to propaganda". I am saying "Wikipedia contains a lot of propaganda in all the areas prone to it". Those two statements are compatible. I am not saying that Wikipedia is generally unreliable, since, as you correctly point out, the vast majority of entries (numerically speaking) are not prone to propaganda. However, people are also using wikipedia to look up hot topics like the history of the state of Israel, the Ukraine war, Covid 19, and so on. It is these topics that we are discussing here. On those, I would say, Wikipedia is just as unreliable as any major news outlet, but whereas it is obvious that news outlets are biased, Wikipedia appears like a neutral source, which makes it worse IMHO.

And don't even get me started on "fact checker" websites ...

It is the nature of politics to be propagandising, and I challenge you to find any political discussion that is free of bias, either to the left or to the right. People in the wider community do tend to lean either to the left or to the right, so why should Wikipedia be any different, especially given that it is catering to those people in the wider community? In other words, you are accusing Wikipedia of a problem that is really a problem with the wider community.

No need to challenge me on that, since I neither claimed that "there are political discussions free of bias" or that the problem with Wikipedia is not a symptom of society at large.

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2023 at 03:34

I do a lot of work for other music sites and Wiki is quite good at band and album info. The best is Discogs and AllMusic, but Wiki is close. I can't recall ever seeing a particular mistake in that subject area.

Also was doing some reading on remote islands in the Atlantic and Pacific and wiki's info matched most other resources I had read as well.

I also like to read about past presidential primaries and look at the stats from any past year, once again the info is correct and don't recall seeing any unnecessary opinions thrown in, just the facts.
I can see why college professors don't want to see wiki in a research paper, any good prof is going to want you to dig deeper. Using wiki would seem lazy in that situation.

Agreed on this (especially since I am working in a scientific research institute)Clap

When first starting out PA, Wiki was still relatively unreliable, because in its infancy; but 20years down the line with all its corrections, it's become reliable.
Even if I totally agree that Wiki is definitely not enough for a thesis: I wouldn't even cite it as a reference, for fear of losing credibility points.

I remember some members trying to introduce a PA membership page on Wiki in 2006LOL, and it got refused within a few hours, which proved that plenty of serious collabs (even back then) carefully overseeing its reliability.

====================

But as far as reliability of other encyclopedias - beit Britannica or Larousse (for french) -  it's very relative, because of the bias taken for writing the articles and thinking of whim will use them. The Occidental PoV will probably be minoritized as globalization keeps going.

History books have always been written by the "winners". There is a good chance that Australian, Russian, Canadian or Unitedstatian history books of the national history will dramatically change regarding their expansion/colonization of the internal borders. European history books will probably also be partially changed in the empire stages. 
For ex, most likely, within decades to come, Spain's national day will be changed as not for the discovery of the Americas  - because this means nowadays the start of a genocide (whether involuntary or sometimes plannified)

I'd be very much surprised that in 50 years' time, Britannica or Larousse are still around and their circa-millennium  or today's editions are still worthy of even reading.

New and old propagandas Wink

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk