Print Page | Close Window

The most successful modern prog music nation?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132366
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 06:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The most successful modern prog music nation?
Posted By: David_D
Subject: The most successful modern prog music nation?
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 07:39

Who do you think is the most successful modern progressive music nation, and on what basis do you think so? 
- I'm not just asking about your favourite. Smile

Edit: By "modern", I mean post-1990s.

-------------
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond

Replies:
Posted By: Grumpyprogfan
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 08:38
USA. In my opinion, they have the most quality and quantity of modern prog.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 09:00
Unfortunately the war is having its bad impact, but both Ukraine and Russia were making excellent prog

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 09:08
The UK, obviously! Because we’re the best at everything, right?

That’s still true, right?!🤔

Hmmmm….,

-------------
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell

Posted By: Frets N Worries
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 09:41
Nowadays, I'd say USA

-------------
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...

Posted By: Deadwing
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 09:48
Norway or UK to me

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 09:50
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

Nowadays, I'd say USA

How?! Confused Other than some fusion and some progressive metal, I don't see it. 

Posted By: Criswell
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 10:04
USA & Italy

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 10:30
It's hard to say, since there are so many sub-genres in prog these days. Italy, UK, USA, Germany, Sweden, etc, all have many good bands. Depending on what kind of prog you are into, the result could be quite different.

Posted By: mathman0806
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 10:52
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Nowadays, I'd say USA

How?! Confused Other than some fusion and some progressive metal, I don't see it. 

The U.S. has a number of contemporary bands producing quality prog in a wide variety of styles. It sort of comes down to what one means by successful.

If you measure success by number of artists, variety of styles, musicianship, and quality of music, the USA does well in these areas. If you are looking success as album and ticket sales, maybe not.

Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 11:34

Nowadays, I'd say USA

If we look only at the Coniguliaro brothers output of music. Eyeless Owl, Wyxz, In-Dreamview, The Filibuster Saloon, Wippy Bonstack, and Sun Colored Chair. All these projects are a breath of fresh air for the prog world. None are fusion or progressive metal. Of course, there is plenty more. What has Scandinavian prog given us but mostly retro bands?

What country do you choose, Cristi?

Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 11:39
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Nowadays, I'd say USA

If we look only at the Coniguliaro brothers output of music. Wyxz, In-Dreamview, The Filibuster Saloon, Wippy Bonstack, and Sun Colored Chair. All these projects are a breath of fresh air for the prog world. None are fusion or progressive metal. Of course, there is plenty more. What has Scandinavian prog given us but mostly retro bands?

What country do you choose, Cristi?

I honestly do not know. I also find the question unimportant. The country an artist is from does not matter much to me. If I enjoy the music, that's all that matters. How would I even assess the most successful country? Is it the number of bands that have become popular? Confused The country with the biggest number of popular bands is the most successful country?! Confused

Posted By: Zeph
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 11:54
If it’s a numbers game, they should perhaps be adjusted for population numbers.

Posted By: mellotronwave
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 12:08
Norway by miles

Posted By: auxfnx
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 12:12
I think France has to be in consideration with the entire Dur et Doux roster making waves in recent years. https://duretdoux.bandcamp.com/

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 12:16
The question is open-ended. By modern, are we walking about 1980 and later? 1990 and later? 2000 and later? 2020 and later?

In recent years I have found the most quality coming from the avant and eclectic bands from the US and France. I want to also add Japan because everything Tatsuya Yoshida touches is gold, but I don't think the quantity is as much as those two countries.

If we're talking about sales, I suspect it would be UK. If we're talking about overall from 1990 onwards, I'd be inclined to say Sweden and Italy.

I'm not a calculator. I'm a cabbage with a protractor.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 14:33
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

If you measure success by number of artists, variety of styles, musicianship, and quality of music, the USA does well in these areas. If you are looking success as album and ticket sales, maybe not.

very good considerations Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 14:34
norway.

-------------
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong

Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 14:38
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

The question is open-ended. By modern, are we walking about 1980 and later? 1990 and later? 2000 and later? 2020 and later?

post-1990s

Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

If we're talking about sales, I suspect it would be UK.

interesting information

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 16:18
It's definitely either Sweden or Norway imo. 

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 16:39
I don;t know, but...

Not thinking in regards to sales, but for this millenium, I would have thought the US would surely be contender due to the wide variety of prog spectrum music being produced. It seems very robust.

Active this milleium bands/artists like Secret Chiefs 3, Kayo Dot, Swans, Tool, John Zorn, The Mars Volta, Nine Inch Nails, Agalloch, Prog Folk related people like Sufjan Stevens and Joanna Newsom.

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 20:17
^I think the broad nature of prog and prog-adjacent styles of music coming out of North America cannot be understated. Diversity matters. 

If you're looking for music that sounds like classic era prog and is, conversely, not quite so adventurous or fresh (but still expertly played), I supposed Scandinavia, especially Norway. And also prog death/black metal stuff, but fresh new groups from Norway were more prominent in the 90s for those styles.

I'm more often lookin for some fresh meat as of late, so retro stuff just isn't amazing me at the moment. Just because a band uses 70s analog instruments doesn't make it automatically worth my admiration. That being said, I still think most of those bands play some great music.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 20:55
Norway...if you're talking (Prog per capita)
America's population is 65 times higher than Norway's.

Posted By: Jaketejas
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 21:15
I thought it was, per capita, Liechtenstein.

Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 21:43
^I don't know of any prog (modern or classic) from Lichtenstein.

Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 21:53
Per Capita means per person in the country. Lichtenstein has a very small population. Percentage wise, it could have one of the highest rates of prog fan to not prog fan in the world.

-------------
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 21:57
It wouldn't surprise me if Norway has the greatest prog density per capita.

But if we are just measuring by diversity, the the U.S. does cover a broad stylistic range.

On the other hand, there are 'successes' from all around the world that it would unfair to label a most successful country. I just glanced at my 2023 list, and there are artists and band members from the U.S, U.K., Canada, Norway, Taiwan, France, Sweden, Japan, among others.

Posted By: Chiyo
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 22:11

To this day, it remains.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 22:18
^^With a population smaller than Minnesota, the density of relatively known progressive rock acts from Norway is probably unmatched. That's unless there's one modern, profilic prog rock act from either Liechtenstein, San Marino or Andorra...

-------------

Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 23:02
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

^^With a population smaller than Minnesota, the density of relatively known progressive rock acts from Norway is probably unmatched. That's unless there's one modern, profilic prog rock act from either Liechtenstein, San Marino or Andorra...
What about the Big Big Train? Sure, they've been around for 34 years now; their original frontman died, so I can understand that some people might hesitate to put them in the modern cell, but they are active—the below live video was filmed in 2022—their take on prog-rock music is still modern, and any Norwegian prog-rock band that is on the scene now is not even close to Big Big Train.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 23:07
back to what is a definition of prog which regularly comes round/

For technical bands easily USA and also for sales.
I don't know why UK is mentioned, the general music scene here is terrible (Ed Sheeran, Jamie Cullum, Adele) and interesting bands such as Black Midi are totally ignored. Big Big Train were beginning to have some commercial success but the pandemic killed that and even some of their members were forced to retire as a result. Ignoring commercial success then there is a good underground scene and Tull, Yes and Heep are still putting out decent albums and servicing their fan base. None of them are remotely cutting edge though.
Norway is incredible and keeps producing brilliant music. Of course a lot is so called Retro Prog that apparently is some crime to progressive music (it still counts as music though!)
Italy still produces great music thanks to it's historical importance to classical music and 2 of my favourite bands at the moment come from Brazil (Caravela Escalarte) and Spain (Psicolorama) but there are good bands everywhere as prog is quite culturally diverse. Anyway my vote is for Norway.

Date Posted: January 08 2024 at 23:38
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Even if we throw the prog umbrella wide open, we will find modern bands in England that the Norwegians have not even come close to.

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:13
Originally posted by Chiyo Chiyo wrote:

What about the Big Big Train? Sure, they've been around for 34 years now; their original frontman died, so I can understand that some people might hesitate to put them in the modern cell, but they are active—the below live video was filmed in 2022—their take on prog-rock music is still modern, and any Norwegian prog-rock band that is on the scene now is not even close to Big Big Train.
What about what? So your argument is that one AOR-like, not genuinely progressive band that I'm totally indifferent (or rather, I dislike their music) to is bigger than a whole national scene with myriads of active bands? An argument for UK would have to be about their vibrant Windmill-scene. And not a band you personally enjoy formed in 1990 with 23 000 monthly listeners on Spotify.

-------------

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:24

What about what? So your argument is that one AOR-like, not genuinely progressive band that I'm totally indifferent (or rather, I dislike their music) to is bigger than a whole national scene with myriads of active bands? An argument for UK would have to be about their vibrant Windmill-scene. And not a band you personally enjoy formed in 1990 with 23 000 monthly listeners on Spotify.
Shall we mention solo artists? Do they count, or does this thread only apply to bands?

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:48

a band you personally enjoy formed in 1990 
Alright, then something novel from England that the Norwegians can't even be comparable to:

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:48

Even if we throw the prog umbrella wide open, we will find modern bands in England that the Norwegians have not even come close to.

erm wtf? I just hear a lot of ambient music and a very annoying repeating video.

Yep London has a good few 'underground' bands no doubt. I'm always pleased to see young musicians having a go at least and they may eventually mature into good bands. The Norway scene is already there and has many great musicians. I don't think something like Seven Impale - Summit is even particularly derivative. That would have been my favourite album any other year but for Zopp (from Nottingham, UK)

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:53

erm wtf? I just hear a lot of ambient music and a very annoying repeating video.

Yep London has a good few 'underground' bands no doubt. I'm always pleased to see young musicians having a go at least and they may eventually mature into good bands. The Norway scene is already there and has many great musicians. I don't think something like Seven Impale - Summit is even particularly derivative. That would have been my favourite album any other year but for Zopp (from Nottingham, UK)

And in Scotland there is also a band whose quality is an unattainable dream for Norwegians.

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:58
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

The UK, obviously!
Indeed, it is still unmatchable!

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:58

BBT are genuinely progressive with a small 'p'. They do a lot of long form tracks with lyrics based on English history. Putting them in AOR is unfair and very inaccurate. I know them may seem 'prog lite' to many but they mean a lot to me and many others.
It's debateable as to when they became an actual band. It was Andy Poole's and Greg Spawton's project and they would use session musicians. English Electric changed that somewhat and they started properly playing as a band around 2014 and had their first proper settled line up for the albums The Underfall Yard (2009) through to 2019's The Grand Tour. That's when I see them as a proper band and not just a hobby. Does that make them modern? Yes I would say so. They have been succesful as well. Does it mean UK is the top for prog, erm no not at all. (also 2 of their members are from the good ole USA!)

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 00:59

Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

The UK, obviously!
Indeed, it is still unmatchable!

yeo really good band but not that significant sadly

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 02:34
Seems someone is trolling, and I think I know who. All the videos, and of course the comments are utterly ridiculous.

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 03:34

When looking at the two toplists, I've made on basis of all the ratings on RYM and PA, these are the countries which have got most post-1990s albums on these two toplists if seen together:

1. USA - 26 albums (11 from '00s and 15 from the '10s)
2. UK - 13 albums (4 from '00s and 9 from the '10s)
3. Norway - 11 albums (4 from '00s and 7 from the '10s)
4. Sweden - 10 albums (3 from '00s and 7 from the '10s)

The number of albums are rather close to the number of different bands.

https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127673" rel="nofollow - Top 100 all-time as rated on RYM and PA  ,  https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127706" rel="nofollow - Top 100-160 all-time as rated on RYM and PA  ,  https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=128935" rel="nofollow - Top 50 of the 2010s as rated on RYM and PA  )

-------------

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 07:25
NORWAY!!!

-------------
The Prog Corner

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 08:02

BBT are genuinely progressive with a small 'p'. They do a lot of long form tracks with lyrics based on English history. Putting them in AOR is unfair and very inaccurate. I know them may seem 'prog lite' to many but they mean a lot to me and many others.
Ok, sorry. I could easily have gotten my point across without sharing my impression of them. I listen to - and love plenty of AOR btw, so it may have appeared meaner than my intention was. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 09:01
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

When looking at the two toplists, I've made on basis of all the ratings on RYM and PA, these are the countries which have got most post-1990s albums on these two toplists if seen together:

1. USA - 26 albums (11 from '00s and 15 from the '10s)
The number of albums are rather close to the number of different bands.

https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127673" rel="nofollow - Top 100 all-time as rated on RYM and PA  ,  https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=127706" rel="nofollow - Top 100-160 all-time as rated on RYM and PA  ,  https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=128935" rel="nofollow - Top 50 of the 2010s as rated on RYM and PA  )
The highest rated American bands are:

Tool
The Mars Volta
Mastodon
Maudlin of the Well
Swans
Kayo Dot
Phideaux
Between the Buried and Me
Vektor
Transatlantic
Spock's Beard
Blood Incantation
Dream Theater
Discipline
The Deer Hunter
Birds and Buildings
Echolyn

-------------

Posted By: Psychedelic Paul
Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 09:35
The 15 most popular European bands, not including post-Brexit Britain who are no longer part of Europe, politically speaking. Smile

01. PFM (148 points)
01. Tangerine Dream (143 points)
03. Magma (126 points)
04. Riverside (120 points) 
05. Wobbler (89 points)
06. Area (78 points)
06. Banco del Mutuo Soccorso (78 points)
08. Univers Zero (77 points)
09. Can (69 points)
10. Amon Dull II (67 points)

11. Anekdoten (65 points)
12. Eloy (61 points)
13. Art Zoyd (46 points)
14. Focus (41 points)
15. The Flower Kings (35 points)

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 09:43
Britain no longer part of Europe? That will be news to map-makers

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 09:44
^I'm slightly surprised to see Eloy so low! They're very well loved on this site. I get that people have issues with the vocals, but I enjoy them

-------------

Posted By: suitkees
Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 09:58
^ Well, I guess those results come from one of PP's polls, so they have no representative value whatsoever, but only for those who think they have, so saying that those bands are "The 15 most popular European bands" is ludicrous.

-------------

The razamataz is a pain in the bum

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 09:59
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Only from a political and proggy perspective. When I think of European prog bands, I'm thinking of continental Europe. Wink

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 10:01
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ Well, I guess those results come from one of PP's polls, so they have no representative value whatsoever, but only for those who think they have, so saying that those bands are "The 15 most popular European bands" is ludicrous.
They're only "ludicrous and unrepresentative" if you dismiss the votes of the good members of ProgArchives. Wink

Prog Europa - Top 10 European Prog Bands -  http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124979&PN=4" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=124979&PN=4

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 10:06
^ How many did vote? And why ever could lead that number of votes to the statement that those are "The 15 most popular European bands"?

These are rather rhetorical questions...

-------------

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 10:17
Paul didn't give the title of his list, which should be something like, "The 15 most popular European bands according to members of the Prog Rock Archives forum who responded to my poll in [insert year] using my weighted point system."

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 10:18

^ How many did vote? And why ever could lead that number of votes to the statement that those are "The 15 most popular European bands"?

They're the 15 most popular European prog bands as voted for by the good members of ProgArchives. What more do you need to know? That's a rhetorical question too. Smile

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 10:19
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Only from a political and proggy perspective. When I think of European prog bands, I'm thinking of continental Europe. Wink
Well then you have to exclude Norwegian bands as well as Norway's never been a part of the EU. And Switzerland + Iceland... plus several Eastern European nations. Or you can think of it correctly, which is that Europe and the European Union are not the same thing.

-------------

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 10:55

They're the 15 most popular European prog bands as voted for by the good members of ProgArchives. What more do you need to know? That's a rhetorical question too. Smile

Ah! That's already two additional criteria that were not mentioned before. Remains the question of why those 12-or-so voter in your thread could legitimize the proposition that that these are "The 15 most popular European bands" as you dared to state before? I don't think you can justify such a statement other than by lying to yourself. It suffices to do a diligent search in the PA database (or on RYM) to get completely different results...

-------------

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 11:11
^ I don't agree with the final Top 15 either. Tangerine Dream should've been top of the list and how on earth did Univers Zero make it into the Top 10. Another rhetorical question. Tongue

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 11:14
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

It's hard to say, since there are so many sub-genres in prog these days. Italy, UK, USA, Germany, Sweden, etc, all have many good bands. Depending on what kind of prog you are into, the result could be quite different.

Excellent reply! 

USA is seeing something of a resurgence in jazz-rock fusion, with younger players (Gabe Severn) hitting the stage and older acts (Al Dimeola) continuing to tour.   No huge break-out acts yet, I'll post when there are. 

Not much in symphonic from USA lately, although the new Glass Hammer CD "Arise" is certainly excellent!   Colin Carter's new CD "Tracks in Space" is another fine work (eclectic?) 

PA is great for tracking all of this stuff, thanks for all the updates!!  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 11:32

The 15 most popular European bands, not including post-Brexit Britain who are no longer part of Europe, politically speaking. Smile

It's really annoying and too bad, Paul, how much you ignore the OPs. Shocked

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 12:12
If you look at the PA Top 10 for the last decade there are 5 Norwegian albums. There's your answer right there.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 12:29
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

If you look at the PA Top 10 for the last decade there are 5 Norwegian albums. There's your answer right there.
If you look at successful as popular, yes. If you look at success as creating something different and fresh, I don't think Wobbler and those other Norwegian bands meet that criteria.

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 12:40
That is part of the discussion points for this topic. What does it mean to be successful? How do you measure success?

In Norway's defense, there is a variety of prog that does come from there, not just retro prog. Though the retro is the most popular on a prog scale.

Posted By: LAM-SGC
Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 22:24
Favourite: UK, Norway, Germany
Best: Norway, UK
Successful: No idea, I don't study gig ticket and music sales.

-------------
Across the evening sky,
all the birds are leaving,
But how can they know,
it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire,
I will still be dreaming,
I have no thought of time.

Date Posted: January 09 2024 at 22:57

If you look at successful as popular, yes. If you look at success as creating something different and fresh, I don't think Wobbler and those other Norwegian bands meet that criteria.
Being successful is about being somewhat popular. At least to an extent. I much prefer VdGG over Yes and ELP, but I would be incorrect if I claimed that the former band were more successful than the latter bands. Even though I personally think of them as artistically superior to both. If you create art that's differnt and fresh but nobody knows about it, you're partly unsuccessful. Unfortunately.

-Anyway, I think it needs to be a bit of both. A "successful modern prog nation" should to be profilic, vibrant and of course diverse. For every "Wobbler-band" there's at least twice as many experimental and forward thinking "Rune Grammofon" kinds of bands and projects etc... But of course, they are less "successful", so fewer people knows about them. I listen to them though (Wobbler, not so much. Although I fully respect them for working within an established tradition - and doing it well).

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 00:13

I honestly don't know anything about Progarchives' popularity ranking system, so I can't comment on that. However, this official video from Frost*—East Sussex's band formed in 2004—has a healthy 252,570 views for the time being, and that is a modern take on prog-rock:

Posted By: Awesoreno
Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 00:53
^And that's honestly the first track you've posted that actually is "modern" in terms of prog, at least to my ears (love that album). That's not a comment on my opinion of the quality. But I think Grumpy brought up the true dichotomy of how we're discussing this. Are we talking the NUMBER of groups/artists and releases, or are we talking about acts that are actually treading new (or at least somewhat new) ground? 

It's certainly true that Norway (and Sweden) has many current groups that are making all different kinds of music. But it does seem like a significant portion of it is in the symph vein with varying degrees of retro prog flavors. To my knowledge, many more bands from the US (and Japan, Canada) are producing fresh, new material that rivals that of Norway. And ALL of them are blowing the UK out of the water in terms of innovation (as opposed to quantity, black midi notwithstanding). Indeed, most of what you have posted helps make that point. And once again, this is to say nothing of the quality of the music. That is entirely subjective. And I enjoyed much of what you posted, to be fair.

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 01:42
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

^And that's honestly the first track you've posted that actually is "modern" in terms of prog, at least to my ears (love that album). 
Okay, but I have to say that I'm surprised that the Big Big Train video I posted doesn't sound modern to your ears. Oh, and that one—"The Transit of Venus Across the Sun" live at the Boerderij, Holland—has 25,275 views right now, which is healthy for a live video uploaded to YouTube a few months ago.

Maybe I will be more convincing with this official video from Big Big Train, released a month ago, featuring the song "Oblivion," which is taken from their upcoming album “The Likes of Us," out March 1st, 2024. It has a healthy 138,589 views at this very moment.

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

To my knowledge, many more bands from the US (and Japan, Canada) are producing fresh, new material that rivals that of Norway. And ALL of them are blowing the UK out of the water in terms of innovation (as opposed to quantity, black midi notwithstanding).
Surely, the U.S., Japan, and Canada have a number of interesting contemporary bands that explore new territories; however, I strongly disagree that they "blowing" the UK. In that regard, I'd like to mention Chlöe Herington. She is a London-based avant-gardist whose shining project is called VÄLVE. Emma Sullivan, a fellow Chrome Hoof, joins her, and they released an amazing album recently, titled "Tiny Pilots." This is an official video of the song "Gertrude's List from that album. That is a top-notch avant-prog song, in my humble opinion.

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 03:48

In my book, the main criteria for being "successful" is to be appreciated.

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 03:54
^ by whom?

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 03:55

^ by whom?

LOL
listeners and fans I guess Smile

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 04:03
^ My point is that there's different groups of listeners, at the most basic level fans and critics (reviewers). It's highly subjective to say which one should appreciate the band, and some artists will (rightfully IMHO) outright refuse the idea that their success is based on appreciation.

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 04:07

In my book, the main criteria for being "successful" is to be appreciated.
Guapo is, for instance, a well-appreciated modern band in the avant-prog scene. And they are an English band.

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 07:17
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Unfortunately the war is having its bad impact, but both Ukraine and Russia were making excellent prog
I agree. From Ukraine hails Antony Kalugin, and there is the Russian duo Iamthemorning, currently residing in England. 
Kalugin is a very prolific and well-appreciated musician, both as a solo artist and as the leader of the recognised bands Karfagen, Hoggwash, and Sunchild. Kscope's band, Iamthemorning, made, within the progressive music standards of the second decade of the 21st century, a significant breakthrough in terms of popularity. Also, Iamthemorning composer and keyboard player Gleb Kolyadin released a few well-regarded solo albums with guests like Steve Hogarth, Theo Travis, Gavin Harrison, and so on.
Both acts, Antony Kalugin and his bands and Iamthemorning, are quite modern and original, which is not so often the case in the subgenres in which they work, as the former is symphonic prog and the latter is chamber music-like crossover prog.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 07:26
Is the UK just a footnote now? In terms of prog artists they may not be the most numerous but they are certainly the best known and exposed. Consider that Marillion, Porcupine Tree, solo Steven Wilson, IQ et al have had albums out that made various charts in Europe and abroad over the last 20+ years. Recall that the OP's question asks for the most successful.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 08:04
Originally posted by Criswell Criswell wrote:

USA & Italy
Italy indeed continues to be a prog-rock "superpower" since our beloved genre is still popular there and there are modern prog-rock bands who are releasing some great albums.
One of my favourite Italian progressive albums released in the last few years is LogoS' "Sadako e le mille gru di carta" (2020), which is an ambitious concept album about Sadako Sasaki, a girl from Hiroshima who, as a two-year-old child, survived a nuclear explosion two miles away from her home.
I would also point out 2020's "Il Velo dei Riflessi" by Quel Che Disse Il Tuono, a Milanese band that was founded in 2019. It's also a concept album that, via the use of the metaphor of mirrors, delves into topics like the repulsion of one's own personality and latent insanity in humans; each of these subjects is represented by one of the four mirrors and correlates to the first four songs on the album.

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 08:10

USA. In my opinion, they have the most quality and quantity of modern prog.
Of course, but the U.S. is so huge and such a big market that at least I don't see much sense in comparing it with these European countries. Maybe if we compare the progressive music production of each individual federal state in relation to a European country, it would make more sense.

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 09:05
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Is the UK just a footnote now? In terms of prog artists they may not be the most numerous but they are certainly the best known and exposed. Consider that Marillion, Porcupine Tree, solo Steven Wilson, IQ et al have had albums out that made various charts in Europe and abroad over the last 20+ years. Recall that the OP's question asks for the most successful.
Where have IQ charted in the last 20+years? Anyway, bringing up IQ and Marillion makes UK appear like a footnote as a modern progmusic nation. But recent bands such as Black Country, New Road and black midi are relatively successful.

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 09:07
With this arbitrary criteria of "modern prog", I will just go with the first quarter of the current century. "Success" is a rather nebulous term as well. Is it pure album sales, critical acclaim,etc? I am fairly certain that in terms of pure quantity in the broadest sense of "prog" the US And UK probably outnumber other countries. But with a few exceptions, most of what the US and UK have put out has gotten pretty stale, or even downright bad. Especially in regard to bands that have been around since the classic era.
When it comes to the subset of prog styles I enjoy, the bands are coming mainly from Norway, Sweden, France, Germany and Japan. If I go through my Last.fm it appears to be Sweden, but using scrobble data is limited to counting tracks rather than listening time. France has probably made me say "wow" the most in the last 5 years.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 09:13
'Modern' is impossible to pin down. I mean there is so much music is just so last year. It's almost an 'Oxymoron' for prog fans to talk about what is modern or not. Would make a nice Monty Python sketch I imagine.

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 09:24
As a well-appreciated band, I'd like to mention TesseracT. Formed in Buckinghamshire, England, in 2003,  TesseracT is credited as one of the bands to pioneer the djent strand in the progressive metal genre. The group is well known for its intricate compositions and unusual time signatures. Playing progressive music that straddles the line between metal and djent, TesseracT conjures up strong cerebral imagery and sounds like progressive music of the future—at least for the younger generation of today.

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 09:35

As a well-appreciated band, I'd like to mention TesseracT. Formed in Buckinghamshire, England, in 2003,  TesseracT is credited as one of the bands to pioneer the djent strand in the progressive metal genre. The group is well known for its intricate compositions and unusual time signatures. Playing progressive music that straddles the line between metal and djent, TesseracT conjures up strong cerebral imagery and sounds like progressive music of the future—at least for the younger generation of today.

Very good band indeed, one of the few djent bands I enjoy. It helps that they have a great vocalist. Tongue

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 09:45

I agree. From Ukraine hails Antony Kalugin, and there is the Russian duo Iamthemorning, currently residing in England. 
Kalugin is a very prolific and well-appreciated musician, both as a solo artist and as the leader of the recognised bands Karfagen, Hoggwash, and Sunchild. Kscope's band, Iamthemorning, made, within the progressive music standards of the second decade of the 21st century, a significant breakthrough in terms of popularity. Also, Iamthemorning composer and keyboard player Gleb Kolyadin released a few well-regarded solo albums with guests like Steve Hogarth, Theo Travis, Gavin Harrison, and so on.
Both acts, Antony Kalugin and his bands and Iamthemorning, are quite modern and original, which is not so often the case in the subgenres in which they work, as the former is symphonic prog and the latter is chamber music-like crossover prog.
There's another big fan of Antony Kalugin and Karfagen right here. Thumbs Up

ANTONY KALUGIN    Multi-talented multi-instrumentalist Antony Kalugin is the Ukraine's answer to Mike Oldfield, and he could probably beat you at chess too. You may know Antony best as the man behind Symphonic Prog band Karfagen. His six superb solo albums truly are one-man-wonders with little or no outside help involved. You don't have to take my word for it though. Just sample some magical Marshmallow Moondust from the selection below before it blows away like dust in the wind. I guarantee you'll be blown away by this outstanding album too, or you can call me "Vladimir".
Do pobachennya! Smile

4 stars 2008: Antony Kalugin - The Water -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nO5QHWmrTNYWRQVF_YyDqj_bewWYV6yMs" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nO5QHWmrTNYWRQVF_YyDqj_bewWYV6yMs
 4 stars 2013: Antony Kalugin - AKKO 1 -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kMIdjQBbCKo3ujGHMlXHv3dM7VnfWebNs" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kMIdjQBbCKo3ujGHMlXHv3dM7VnfWebNs
 5 stars 2020: Antony Kalugin - Marshmallow Moondust -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n4rsW8q0M6Dbq5ijteHYRiEwDWE2GiOj0" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n4rsW8q0M6Dbq5ijteHYRiEwDWE2GiOj0
 4 stars 2021: Antony Kalugin - Stellar Gardener -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_m0ZUAYxLmPcAlb_DunQ_W5BZQclTCk9Q4" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_m0ZUAYxLmPcAlb_DunQ_W5BZQclTCk9Q4
 4 stars 2021: Antony Kalugin - Chameleon Shapeshifter -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kF_-GbS51rITUzSJl6oeWVh_syKg0C_1I" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kF_-GbS51rITUzSJl6oeWVh_syKg0C_1I
 4 stars 2022: Antony Kalugin - Rebirth -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ldYEnrorC2UDMg6RyISu_XNRXJ3yYJ3IU" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ldYEnrorC2UDMg6RyISu_XNRXJ3yYJ3IU

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 09:52

Very good band indeed, one of the few djent bands I enjoy. It helps that they have a great vocalist. Tongue
And it can be said that TesseracT is a popular progressive band, considering that the over 10-minute-long "War of Being" official video, released in July 2023, has 897,376 views momentarily.

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 10:02

There's another big fan of Antony Kalugin and Karfagen right here. Thumbs Up

ANTONY KALUGIN    Multi-talented multi-instrumentalist Antony Kalugin is the Ukraine's answer to Mike Oldfield, and he could probably beat you at chess too. You may know Antony best as the man behind Symphonic Prog band Karfagen. His six superb solo albums truly are one-man-wonders with little or no outside help involved. You don't have to take my word for it though. Just sample some magical Marshmallow Moondust from the selection below before it blows away like dust in the wind. I guarantee you'll be blown away by this outstanding album too, or you can call me "Vladimir".
Do pobachennya! Smile

4 stars 2008: Antony Kalugin - The Water -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nO5QHWmrTNYWRQVF_YyDqj_bewWYV6yMs" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nO5QHWmrTNYWRQVF_YyDqj_bewWYV6yMs
 4 stars 2013: Antony Kalugin - AKKO 1 -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kMIdjQBbCKo3ujGHMlXHv3dM7VnfWebNs" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kMIdjQBbCKo3ujGHMlXHv3dM7VnfWebNs
 5 stars 2020: Antony Kalugin - Marshmallow Moondust -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n4rsW8q0M6Dbq5ijteHYRiEwDWE2GiOj0" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n4rsW8q0M6Dbq5ijteHYRiEwDWE2GiOj0
 4 stars 2021: Antony Kalugin - Stellar Gardener -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_m0ZUAYxLmPcAlb_DunQ_W5BZQclTCk9Q4" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_m0ZUAYxLmPcAlb_DunQ_W5BZQclTCk9Q4
 4 stars 2021: Antony Kalugin - Chameleon Shapeshifter -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kF_-GbS51rITUzSJl6oeWVh_syKg0C_1I" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kF_-GbS51rITUzSJl6oeWVh_syKg0C_1I
 4 stars 2022: Antony Kalugin - Rebirth -  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ldYEnrorC2UDMg6RyISu_XNRXJ3yYJ3IU" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_ldYEnrorC2UDMg6RyISu_XNRXJ3yYJ3IU

Karfagen feat. Antony Kalugin performs "Amused Fair" live at Parkvilla Theatre, Alphen a/d Rijn, the Netherlands. Pure beauty of symphonic prog, yet modern and original.

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 10:08

And it can be said that TesseracT is a popular progressive band, considering that the over 10-minute-long "War of Being" official video, released in July 2023, has 897,376 views momentarily.

I saw Tesseract support Devin Townsend (and Leprous) in Bristol a few years back. The above track is excellent - yet another band I’ll not find time to get into….🙄😊

-------------
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 10:22
Can we change the thread title to "Modern Prog Bands from around the World"?

Listing bands from specific countries doesn't discuss which nation is the most successful.

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 10:31

Listing bands from specific countries doesn't discuss which nation is the most successful.
Agree. To me all those posts are just irrelevant spamming, ruining the whole discussion.

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 10:40

Agree. To me all those posts are just irrelevant spamming, ruining the whole discussion.
Sorry guys, but progressive bands from various nations were mentioned because we had to prove that the Norwegians are not the most successful modern prog nation. Is that okay?

And yes, we must not forget France. I will not list all the bands from the contemporary French avant-prog scene; I'd like to only point out that this PoiL video has 40,706 views this day yet, which is not bad at all for a live video of such an avant-prog band.

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 10:44

Sorry guys, but progressive bands from various nations were mentioned because we had to prove that the Norwegians are not the most successful modern prog nation. Is that okay?
Not the way you're doing it, no.

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 10:58

Sorry again, but I don't agree that I "must" agree that Norwergians are the most successful modern prog nation, nor that posting videos in favour of proving that south of Norway there really are deservedly well-appreciated bands is something bad. And the embedded YouTube videos in accordance with the discussion are not against the rules of the forum either.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 12:26

Where have IQ charted in the last 20+years? Anyway, bringing up IQ and Marillion makes UK appear like a footnote as a modern progmusic nation. But recent bands such as Black Country, New Road and black midi are relatively successful.
This is what happens when people post without doing the research. And probably why some like you think that bands like IQ and Marillion are now footnotes instead of recocnizing them for what they have accomplished. See below and learn:

"The Road of Bones is the eleventh studio album by the British  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-progressive_rock" rel="nofollow - neo-progressive rock  band  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_%28band%29" rel="nofollow - IQ , released on May 3, 2014. It peaked at number 36 in Germany on the  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GfK_Entertainment_charts" rel="nofollow - Offizielle Deutsche Charts , number 62 in Switzerland on the  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Hitparade" rel="nofollow - Swiss Hitparade  and number 68 in the Netherlands on the  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Charts" rel="nofollow - Dutch Charts . It's the first album to feature Neil Durant on keyboards and it marks the return of original members Paul Cook on drums and Tim Esau on bass, the latter's first appearance on an IQ album since 1989."

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 13:03
Whatever happened to Oasis? 

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 13:08
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Whatever happened to Oasis? 

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 13:12

Sorry again, but I don't agree that I "must" agree that Norwergians are the most successful modern prog nation, nor that posting videos in favour of proving that south of Norway there really are deservedly well-appreciated bands is something bad. And the embedded YouTube videos in accordance with the discussion are not against the rules of the forum either.
You don't have to agree with anything. Where did I write  that you or anyone else must agree with me? I had some actual arguments to back my opinion - while you're spamming the thread with youtube-videos of random bands you like. Try to come up with some arguments relevant for the topic. There's no actual need to post a single video.

-but I've had enough of you and your way of interacting already. Bye.

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 13:22
Hi,

I would say ... America.

In essence, America is like 4 or 5 or more countries and the amount of music and its difference is incredible.

But if we go per capita, the decision would be nearly impossible to find ... we would never get done adding names to the listings to see which country did better.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 14:09

This thread has turned to be quite a farce but anyway, I can tell that I haven't seen any better arguments or evidence than to be 
most into pointing at USA as the most successful country for progressive music in the post-1990s.

-------------

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 14:35

This is what happens when people post without doing the research. And probably why some like you think that bands like IQ and Marillion are now footnotes instead of recocnizing them for what they have accomplished. See below and learn:

"The Road of Bones is the eleventh studio album by the British  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-progressive_rock" rel="nofollow - neo-progressive rock  band  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_%28band%29" rel="nofollow - IQ , released on May 3, 2014. It peaked at number 36 in Germany on the  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GfK_Entertainment_charts" rel="nofollow - Offizielle Deutsche Charts , number 62 in Switzerland on the  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Hitparade" rel="nofollow - Swiss Hitparade  and number 68 in the Netherlands on the  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Charts" rel="nofollow - Dutch Charts . It's the first album to feature Neil Durant on keyboards and it marks the return of original members Paul Cook on drums and Tim Esau on bass, the latter's first appearance on an IQ album since 1989."
My arguments was based on you giving examples of UK's "modern relevance" with bands formed in the late 1970's early 1980's. Over four decades ago, way passed their peak era and closer to retirement than a "breakthrough". Looks more like arguing against the point you want to get across rather than for.

-Those chart entries were too low register on wiki btw.

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 14:37
One thing I like about music is that it's not organised by nation.

Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 14:41
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

One thing I like about music is that it's not organised by nation.

Thumbs UpLOL

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 10 2024 at 15:01

This thread has turned to be quite a farce but anyway, I can tell that I haven't seen any better arguments or evidence than to be 
most into pointing at USA as the most successful country for progressive music in the post-1990s.

It was a farce to begin with. Your opening question never established what the criteria for "success" was. That can mean a lot of different things: album sales, sales per capita, number of artists, artists per capita, following, quality of writing/recording, bands happiness with their lot in life, most sexual exploits on tour, etc. This was pointed out on the first page directly and you didn't elaborate other than "good considerations", which said f**kall about your intended criteria. Eventually you made a list that established that you are apparently only talking about album popularity as the criteria for "success", with which you declared USA was evidently the winner. Your list, by the way, points out that on a per capita basis Sweden is about 5 times more productive of popular prog albums and Norway about 10 times more.   

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk