Print Page | Close Window

Led Zeppelin II or III?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13307
Printed Date: June 16 2024 at 10:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Led Zeppelin II or III?
Posted By: Andrea Cortese
Subject: Led Zeppelin II or III?
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 08:13

What's the best in your opinion?

1. Whole Lotta Love
2. What Is And What Sould Never Be
3. The Lemon Song
4. Thank You
5. Heartbreaker
6. Living Loving Maid (She's Just A Woman)  
7. Ramble On
8. Moby Dick
9. Bring It On Home

1. Immigrant Song
2. Friends
3. Celebration Day
4. Since I've Been Loving You
5. Out On The Tiles
6. Gallows Pole
7. Tangerine
8. Thats The Way
9. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp
10. Hats Off To (Roy) Harper

Replies:
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 08:15
My fav is Led III, with that beautiful  "Friends"!!! and all that folker tracks on the second half of the album!

Posted By: Stiefel
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 08:20
both are wonderful, maybe the third because of Since i've been loving you

Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 08:22

Originally posted by Stiefel Stiefel wrote:

both are wonderful, maybe the third because of Since i've been loving you

In fact Since I've Been Loving You, Immigrant Song and Celebration Day are all CLASSICS!!!

Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 08:24
Also Whole Lotta Love, Mody Dick and What Is And What Shoul Never Be are classics, but the third album seems to be more proggy!

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 08:26

Zep 2 for me, by a long way. It was my first induction not only into Zep, but to that type of music. I think it was only my fourth album, the previous ones being by Creedence Clearwater Revivial, so you can imagine my reaction.

I reckon Zep 2 is one of the seminal albums of rock. Zep 3 I found disapponting, a bit too acoustic. perhaps I was distracted playing with the wheel on the sleeve and didn't listen properly.Embarrassed

LZ4 was another classic though, a choice between 2 or 4 would be much harder.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 08:29

Vol iii

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Stiefel
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 08:34
but of all led zeppelin albums, i prefer the first

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 08:36
Love 'em both, but I'd have to go for II first as I was bought up on that album. "Thank you" and "Ramble on" - brilliant quiter stuff, also has WLL, Lemon Song and Heartbreaker - when Jimmy Page plays the riff after his solo in that song and Jones and Bonzo crash in, that's one of the most awesome moments in the history of recorded music - unequalled in its power by any heavy metal band.

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 08:38
II for me. Of course I also has its charme, III is beautifully mellow and IV is the ultimative masterpiece.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: rockandrail
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 08:42

Led Zeppelin I was a real breakthrough. Then, later the same year, we were offered Led zeppelin II. The sound had matured, there was this weird thing "Whole Lotta Love", but also the enormous "Heartbreaker".

Then came Led Zeppelin III. I remember me and my school friends of the time, in the record shop, listening to the LP in the cabinet saying (There were cabinets in record shops at that time with pick-ups inside where you could listen to LPs): what the hell is this? Led Zeppelin? That? Bad joke!

Then we became addicted to "Since I've been loving you".

Just to say that II and III really do not compare in terms of "which is best". They are so different!

-------------
Pierre R, the man who lost his signature

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 08:52

I love all of Zeppelin's work,but like my music heavy,so I would pick II.

And while 4 was brilliant I think Physical Grafitti is a masterpiece.

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 09:01

I -  has good moments (babe I'm Gonna Leave you , Dazed and Confused, and HMMTimes) but also some real bad ones (you shook me)

II - I heard this one (along withIV) way too much in my youth , that I got sick of it and still is not able to listen to it nowadays - I find that it has not aged well either. Ramble on  is my fave.

III - my fave because the least played at parties (the acoustic tracks bothered too many partiers0 and Since I've been is my fave.

IV - unlike II , this one I re-listen to no problems nowadays but also unlike II it is a much better album, which stood the test of time. Battle Of Evermore is my fave

HOTH - Very unevem and some real throwaways on it . No Quarter is my fave

PG - just too long , too unfocused (sessions from different eras make this not a real album, IMHO! In My Time Of Dying is my fave

Pres - a rather unfocused album also but three outstanding tracks . Achille's Last Stand is my fave

ITTOD - this one is a JP Jones album, with Plant assisting. Page is nowhere! I find Coda even superior!!

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: porter
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 09:03
I personally love Led Zeppelin III, especially the first side, it's a real masterpiece, but my vote goes to LZ II. I find it more coherent and, as The Progtologist, I like its heaviness.

-------------
"my kingdom for a horse!" (W. Shakespeare, "Richard III")

Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 09:22
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

I called IV the ultimate masterpiece ... ok, I'm unsure whether it's IV or Grafitti. I guess that Grafitti is slightly better because it's more mature, has more material and better sound quality.

-------------

Posted By: Phil
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 09:30
My personal favourite Zep LP has to be Physical Graffitti, by some way.

Difficult to choose between II & III. III is under-rated and more blues-y. II is better known and harder edged. It would be a toss up between them on any day, but today I'd probably say II.

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 09:31
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

I called IV the ultimate masterpiece ... ok, I'm unsure whether it's IV or Grafitti. I guess that Grafitti is slightly better because it's more mature, has more material and better sound quality.

The only reason I get slightly down on IV is because in my life that album has been played over....and over....and over,etc.

I can barely listen to it anymore.

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 09:33
^ we all have albums like that ... Images & Words is like that to me.

-------------

Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 10:39

In my opinion Friends, Kashmir and No Quarter are the Zep's most proggy tracks!

Achilles Last Stand is their last great one!

Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 11:34
Led Zep III is my pick, and one of my favorite albums of all time. 

-------------

Posted By: magog
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 12:06
Originally posted by Andrea Cortese Andrea Cortese wrote:

My fav is Led III, with that beautiful  "Friends"!!! and all that folker tracks on the second half of the album!

Ciao Andrea,

my fav is Led Zeppelin III, I find it so inspired in its semplicity, that can beat even monumetal albums like LZ II or IV...When it came out Robert Plant interview said that by writing and playing that album he felt like a whole world civilian...beautiful! That's what music shoud be able to do

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 17:30
I prefer LZ III, becasue it is more musical and parts of it are purley awe inspiring.

-------------

Posted By: Harry Hood
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 17:41
III is my favorite, because it shows the more sensitive side of the band. "Tangerine" is one of my favorite songs ever.

-------------

Posted By: bluetailfly
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 18:17
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I -  has good moments (babe I'm Gonna Leave you , Dazed and Confused, and HMMTimes) but also some real bad ones (you shook me)

II - I heard this one (along withIV) way too much in my youth , that I got sick of it and still is not able to listen to it nowadays - I find that it has not aged well either. Ramble on  is my fave.

III - my fave because the least played at parties (the acoustic tracks bothered too many partiers0 and Since I've been is my fave.

IV - unlike II , this one I re-listen to no problems nowadays but also unlike II it is a much better album, which stood the test of time. Battle Of Evermore is my fave

PG - just too long , too unfocused (sessions from different eras make this not a real album, IMHO! In My Time Of Dying is my fave

Pres - a rather unfocused album also but three outstanding tracks . Achille's Last Stand is my fave

ITTOD - this one is a JP Jones album, with Plant assisting. Page is nowhere! I find Coda even superior!!

Hmmm...

...Bad ones... ??? You Shook Me?! You mean the song where Plant plays an awesome harmonica solo, then Jones plays an incredible blues organ solo, then Page come in and blows your mind with his guitar solo? You mean that one???

...throwaways...??? You mean like The Song Remains the Same? The Rain Song? The Ocean? Dancing Days? Pray tell, which is the throwaway?!

Wow, "too long, too unfocused"? "Too long"? It is a double album, you realize. "Too unfocused": What do you want them to focus on? I think they did a pretty good job focusing on making the music excellent.

Page is nowhere? Have you heard "Caroselaramba"? Did you listen to "I'm Gonna Crawl"? What about "In the Evening"? Is that Jones playing the opening guitar riff? Plant assisting? That's so off the mark as to be a sign of dementia.

With your tin ear for Zeppelin's music, it's no wonder you prefer Coda to ITTOD.

-------------
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."

Posted By: Zitro
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 18:49

I prefer led zeppelin III.

My Order from best to worse:

LEd Zeppelin I : All the songs are masterpieces here, and both Dazed and Confused and How Many More Times are very proggy tunes. Babe I'm gonna leave you has probably the best acoustic arrangements and vocals in the history of rock. How Many More times has my favourite guitar solo of Jimmy Page and that beautiful eerie middle section. A+

Led Zeppelin IV : Great Rock And Roll + mild prog (stairway to heaven/battle of evermoor) A

Physical Graffitti : Lots of variety ; LEd Zeppelin's answer to the Beatles' 'White Album'. The first 3 sides are great but the last one is mediocre. A-

Led Zeppelin III : Acoustic beauty, majestic  blues song, and good rockers. Horrible closer though. A/B

House of the Holy: An album with lots of vaiety and some songs that seem influenced by Yes (the easiest to recognize is 'The song remains the Same). Rain Song and No Quarter are masterpieces. I don't like D'yer Maker. A/B

Led Zeppelin II : It has some Very good tracks (like Ramble On) , ok tracks (Thank You), and a bad one (Moby Dick ... that drum solo is extremely boring and pretentious!!) B

Presence : Achilles Last Stand is a masterpiece of hard rock and has some of the best guitar playing of Page and the last track is a long, but beautiful blues song as strong as Since I've Been Loving You with great guitar playing. The tracks on the middle are not very strong though. B-

In Throughout the Outdoor : The first half of the album is mediocre, but the second half has 3 Led Zeppelin's best songs : the keyboard driven epic Caruselambra, the melancholic yet innocent sounding 'All of My Love', and the mellotron backed blues song. B-

Coda : Throwaways with only 2 decent tracks. D 

Posted By: eriksalkeld
Date Posted: October 20 2005 at 19:17

LZ III

-------------
Autenticidad, actitud, pluralidad, espiritu e inteligencia, si es prog bien, si no, tambien.

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: October 21 2005 at 07:16

II ... I can't make up mind on many things Zeppelin ... but this much is clear ... my top 3 albums are

IV, then II, then I

... but even III is largely brilliant ...

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Posted By: dima_olkov
Date Posted: October 21 2005 at 07:35

NUMBER II!!!

From LZIII I like only Immigrant's Song and Since I've been loving you

-------------
PF, Genesis, KC, Yes, VdGG, GG, Camel, Jethro Tull

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: October 21 2005 at 08:19

LZ II

It's the whole loose, wild rock'n'roll thing it's got going on, epitomised by "Whole Lotta Love".

Anyone who thinks the production is sub-par clearly doesn't own a 1st UK vinyl pressing of this piece of magic. It's a legendary test of the worthiness of your stereo system - when it gets intense, your speakers, amp and turntable really know about it. So do your neighbours...

Posted By: zabriskiepoint
Date Posted: October 21 2005 at 17:23
Zep III, a bit more calm than the previous and certainly less rocker.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: October 21 2005 at 21:41
Well My favorite Zepplin song is the Immigrant song but i like 2 better overall

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: October 22 2005 at 01:44

Led Zeppelin III - favourite tracks: Since I've Been Loving You, Tangerine and Gallows Pole (the latter brilliantly done by Page and Plant on "No Quarter"). I love it's bluesy, folk themes. So in order my fav Zep albums from best to worst are:

• III
  • IV
  • I
  • II
  • Houses of the Holy
  • Presence
  • In Through The Outdoor
  • Physical Graffitti
  • Coda

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: rokmebaby
Date Posted: October 22 2005 at 02:47
Nice to see so many of us share the same most excellent rock roots.  Between the two, I prefer LZ II.  I enjoy every single track from start to finish.  I bought exactly one copy of LZ III when it was first released, but I skipped around the tracks and did not fully appreciate it.  I no longer have the LZ III vinyl, but I still have my second vinyl copy plus one CD of LZ II.  Yes, LZ III has some stellar moments, and I do appreciate it more today; but my heart belongs to LZ II.  Best overall effort by the mighty Led Zeppelin in my book is LZ I.  

-------------
Where is Klaatu when you need him?

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: October 22 2005 at 02:47
3..........................Immigration Song alone

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Peace Frog
Date Posted: October 27 2005 at 16:03

3, definitely 3, although it's very close, because 2 has Heartbreaker.

-------------
http://imageshack.us">

Posted By: Simkim
Date Posted: October 28 2005 at 17:51
I love Led Zeppelin III and Since I've Been Loving you is probably my favourite LZ song, but the second album is definitely their best, a completely perfect one. Anyways, I've got both of them.

Posted By: Ultaigh
Date Posted: October 28 2005 at 18:02
II
It's got my favorite song of theirs, Ramble on.  III is a close second,  I just can't really stand "Hats off to (Roy) Harper".

Posted By: ryan
Date Posted: November 04 2005 at 11:42

of the two choices I Prefer L.Z. III , however I think Achilles Last Stand is probably their best song. Its pretty bitchin'.  Its got a perfect mix of orchestration and agressive rock.  It flows great, with the lyrics being part of the music, insead of the focal point with music to support it.

My gripe with lots of music it that is it made to accompany a set of words (as if what the person is saying is worth that) and alot of times you'll have a great piece of music, but its overpowered by the lyrics of a song.

-------------
-ryan

Posted By: John Gargo
Date Posted: November 04 2005 at 11:58

RANK TIME!!! 

• Physical Graffiti
  • Presence
  • In Through the Out Door
  • Led Zeppelin I
  • Houses of the Holy
  • Led Zeppelin II
  • Led Zeppelin IV
  • Led Zeppelin III

It is my opinion that this band got better as they went along.  The first two sides of PG are just absolutely brilliant.  The second has some extra filler towards the end, but as a grand statement, it just towers over the rest of the band's output.  Presence makes the number two slot because "Achilles Last Stand" is the greatest thing they ever wrote.  In through the Out Door is underrated as hell, "Carouselambra" being an attractive experimental romp, and the entire album given the sparkling treatment (it's the best sounding of all of their albums).

As per the rest...  Zep I has some astounding songs, as does Houses of the Holy.  II is certainly rocking, but nothing really stands out as particularly extraordinary.  IV is ranked so low because of overexposure, although "Black Dog" has a MONSTER of a riff that, despite radio's best efforts, has held up extraordinarily well over the years.  III is ranked at the bottom, and although it has a sort of a mystic wonder, and "Immigrant Song" is a highlight, but I think it's the least memorable of their output.

Great band all in all... in order, the first three albums I've ranked get 5 stars, the next two get 4, and the bottom three get 3.

Posted By: Genesisprog
Date Posted: November 04 2005 at 13:03
           LZ II

-------------
Frank Zappa,Pink Floyd,Yes,Genesis,Rush,King Crimson,Jethro Tull,E.L.P,Rick Wakeman -They have one similarity-    I Love Them all !

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: November 04 2005 at 17:09
For me it's no problem to choose III  ! I've always loved the acoustic side from Led Zep and the compelling blues song Since I've Been Loving You is the finishing touch on this album for me, what a solo and grand finale .. ! FORZA LEDDA  ZEPPA!!

Posted By: jedi_of_pi
Date Posted: November 04 2005 at 17:40
Led Zeppelin II

Posted By: M. B. Zapelini
Date Posted: November 05 2005 at 06:29
Both albums are so good, it's difficult to choose one. I'll probably pick Led Zeppelin III, maybe tomorrow I'd choose II... IMHO, both are better than Led Zeppelin "IV" (the one which starts with "Black Dog" and ends with "When The Levee Breaks").

-------------
"He's a man of the past and one of the present"
PETER HAMMILL

Posted By: shillelagh70
Date Posted: November 05 2005 at 15:46
Zepp III.  That second side sold me the first time I stuck it in my eight track.  Well, actually, that would have been the 3rd and 4th little group of songs, as eight tracks go, but I eventually bought it on album, cassette, and then CD.  Miss those eight tracks, though.  'Since I've been Loving You' has the potential of bringing me to tears.  Robert Plant, what happened to you since then?  Oh, well.  Nothing stays the same.

Posted By: shillelagh70
Date Posted: November 05 2005 at 15:50

Originally posted by M. B. Zapelini M. B. Zapelini wrote:

Both albums are so good, it's difficult to choose one. I'll probably pick Led Zeppelin III, maybe tomorrow I'd choose II... IMHO, both are better than Led Zeppelin "IV" (the one which starts with "Black Dog" and ends with "When The Levee Breaks").

Ohhhhhh. But you can't DENY 'When The Levee Breaks' is the best track off of IV.  Or maybe you can.  I hope you can't, though. Because I like that song.  And 'Battle of Evermore'. 

Posted By: FragileDT
Date Posted: November 05 2005 at 16:11
[QUOTE=TheProgtologist]

I love all of Zeppelin's work,but like my music
heavy,so I would pick II.

[/
QUOTE]

Physical Grafitti was Zep at their peak IMO.

-------------
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: November 05 2005 at 16:40
Led Zep III would be my choice. Led Zep II pretty much defined the heavy metal sound for the next decade and its influence can't be overestimated. Having created a monster like that, most bands would have settled for sticking to a winning formula, but Zeppelin never stopped moving on - IMO every album up to Physical Grafitti was an advance on the one before.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: horza
Date Posted: November 05 2005 at 16:42
Led Zep III

-------------
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Posted By: rockandrail
Date Posted: November 05 2005 at 16:55

Originally posted by Stiefel Stiefel wrote:

but of all led zeppelin albums, i prefer the first
Of course, Led Zeppelin I is THE breakthrough!! There is rock before it and rock after it.

Next, Led Zeppelin II is a follow-up of Led Zeppelin I with more mature, more "solid" songs. Next is IV, and only then III. OK there is "since I've been loving you" and "Immigrant Song" on it. But the rest, if good music anyway, is not genuine Led Zeppelin.

-------------
Pierre R, the man who lost his signature

Posted By: yargh
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 10:00
III.  One of their three great albums, IMO. 

Posted By: daz2112
Date Posted: January 29 2006 at 13:08
III

-------------
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: January 29 2006 at 13:14
II I love every dang song on that thing.......

-------------

Posted By: Gentle Tull
Date Posted: January 29 2006 at 13:34

Zeppelin is my favorite band, so this is extremely hard.

I think III, because I love Zeppelin's acoustic songs, and that album is a well balanced collection of hard rock and acoustic songs.

-------------

Posted By: Space Dimentia
Date Posted: January 29 2006 at 13:58
BOTH! LED ZEP ROCK! ONE OF THE BEST BANDS EVER! ONE OF THE ORIGINALS! ALL THEIR ALBUMS RULE!

-------------
Prog is music for the mind
Hear your Orphaned child!
Check out my bands myspace site: www.myspace.com/equinox17

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: January 29 2006 at 19:15
zep 3 for sure. Zep 2 has some crappy songs :)

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: January 29 2006 at 19:17
III. Probably my favorite Zep album.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: A'swepe
Date Posted: January 30 2006 at 10:27

Of the first 4 LZ albums, III is my favorite.

Friends, Tangerine & That's The Way, all beautiful songs.

And Gallows Pole - those guys had a sense of humor. "Your brother brought me silver. Your sister warmed my soul. But now I laugh and pull so hard and see you swinging on the Gallows Pole." OK they didn't write it, but its a great rendition.

There's not a bad song on the album (true in essence for all their albums, IMO).

The powerful Immigrant Song, the haunting Since I've Been Loving You, the driving ferocity of Out On The Tiles. A truly Herculean effort - still just as powerful and enjoyable today was it was in 1970.

-------------
David - Never doubt in the dark that which you believe to be true in the light.
http://www.myspace.com/aardvarktxusa - Instrumental rock
http://www.soundclick.com/aardvarktxusa

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk