Print Page | Close Window

Going for the one -Yes

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14103
Printed Date: June 16 2024 at 12:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Going for the one -Yes
Posted By: Genesisprog
Subject: Going for the one -Yes
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 08:21

I think that album is great.Many dont think so.Some say that there is only one good song

to listen and it`s awaken. For me it`s one of the greatest of all.

And there is three excellent songs in it-wonderous stories ,awaken,turn of the century

and just good songs going for the one and parallels.In my opinnion that album earns 4 1/2 points

at least.

What do you think about GFTO album

-------------
Frank Zappa,Pink Floyd,Yes,Genesis,Rush,King Crimson,Jethro Tull,E.L.P,Rick Wakeman -They have one similarity-    I Love Them all !

Replies:
Posted By: Lindsay Lohan
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 08:25

GTFO!!!

....kidding

Its good but relayer and close to the edge is better...Awake is my favorite track with its really fantastic and dramatic opening...

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Fjuffe/?chartstyle=sideRed - [IMG - http://imagegen.last.fm/sideRed/recenttracks/Fjuffe.gif -

Posted By: kenmeyerjr
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 08:28
I love Going for the One...a mild meld with what was modern at the time, but still Yes. And I think this album has some of Howe's greatest work...certainly his most emotionally affecting (I think it is Awaken that has that great crescendo of guitar)...I also think this is their last truly cohesive album, with no weak spots.

-------------
If you like art of musicians, check my site (the music section) and tell me what you think! http://www.kenmeyerjr.com

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 08:29

Songs are very emotional-that`s what I like.How many bands are there who can

put so much emotions in one album??

-------------
Frank Zappa,Pink Floyd,Yes,Genesis,Rush,King Crimson,Jethro Tull,E.L.P,Rick Wakeman -They have one similarity-    I Love Them all !

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 08:32

I think it's their second best album after 'Close to the Edge'

I like every song, including the title track which took me some time to get my head round. 'Turn of the Century' is a wonderful song. Howes guitar playing is beautiful and the lyrcis are very moving.

'Awaken' is up there with all the great Yes epics too, IMO.

Overal, the album has a wonderful bright optimism about it that I really like. It's one of those up lifting albums thats always good to start the day to.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Bob Greece
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 08:37
It's my favourite Yes album. IMO Awaken is Yes's best track. I love the opening to Parallels as well.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/BobGreece/?chartstyle=basicrt10">

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 08:37
I too would rank it in their top3 albums along with CTTE and Relayer. It's a consistently brilliant album.

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 08:39
   Youre right chopper !!

-------------

Posted By: Lindsay Lohan
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 08:41
Also the last really brilliant yes album

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Fjuffe/?chartstyle=sideRed - [IMG - http://imagegen.last.fm/sideRed/recenttracks/Fjuffe.gif -

Posted By: yargh
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 08:43
I guess G4tO is a good album -- especially considering the band's future after this one -- but it has an "all dressed up but nowhere to go" feel to it.  It's the first Yes album that could be called a "water-treader," in that the band didn't try to do much that was new.  In spite of all that, I like most of it.  Turn of the Century and Parallels are the two tracks that I think are superlative.  The title track would have been the best on the album, but it goes on about twice as long as it should.  Wondrous Stories and Awaken are the duds. 

Posted By: Phil
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 08:44
^^^^ maybe no 4 for me, behind Fragile as well...but its still a great album! The title track and Awaken are my two favourites, then Parallels, the other two I don't rave about so much....Turn of the Century is "nice" but not very proggish to my ears; "Wonderous Stories" is a little too sweet for me, lacks the bite of say Long Distance Runaround.

Posted By: Phil
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 08:46
Originally posted by maidenrulez maidenrulez wrote:

Also the last really brilliant yes album

True!

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 08:54

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I too would rank it in their top3 albums along with CTTE and Relayer. It's a consistently brilliant album.

Thats one of it's major strengths IMO; it's consistency and I dont feel the same about all Yes albums. Apart from Close to the Edge and GFTO, I think most of their albums have amazing highs, and often dissapointing lows.

-------------

Posted By: Paulieg
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 08:59
Truly the last brilliant Yes offering!  I don't find myself listening to much of Yes's studio output past this point, though I do like some of their post GFTO releases.

Posted By: cobb
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 09:02
Originally posted by yargh yargh wrote:

I guess G4tO is a good album -- especially considering the band's future after this one -- but it has an "all dressed up but nowhere to go" feel to it.  It's the first Yes album that could be called a "water-treader," in that the band didn't try to do much that was new.  In spite of all that, I like most of it.  Turn of the Century and Parallels are the two tracks that I think are superlative.  The title track would have been the best on the album, but it goes on about twice as long as it should.  Wondrous Stories and Awaken are the duds

Whew! Awaken is the culmination of everything that was Yes!

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 09:53

Originally posted by cobb cobb wrote:

I guess G4tO is a good album -- especially considering the band's future after this one -- but it has an "all dressed up but nowhere to go" feel to it.  It's the first Yes album that could be called a "water-treader," in that the band didn't try to do much that was new.  In spite of all that, I like most of it.  Turn of the Century and Parallels are the two tracks that I think are superlative.  The title track would have been the best on the album, but it goes on about twice as long as it should.  Wondrous Stories and Awaken are the duds

Whew! Awaken is the culmination of everything that was Yes!

He cant have meant 'Awaken' by Yes . Maybe he meant this..

Dont know what it is, but it looks crap!

-------------

Posted By: FragileDT
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 10:05
Originally posted by Genesisprog Genesisprog wrote:

Songs are very emotional-that`s what I like.How
many bands are there who can

put so much emotions in one album??

Well, there's Genesis.

-------------
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity

Posted By: RoyalJelly
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 10:44
I'd have to give it a chance again, but I can't express what a
huge disappoint this album was for us Yes fans when it came
out in 77. We'd seen them tour Relayer twice (!!!) with Moraz in
75 and 76, heard all their solo albums, and the expectations
were great. When we heard it, it was like a big, "huh? that's it?"
I always loved "Turn of the Century", it's a lovely song in itself
with great guitar/piano interplay and a moving story. But
"Awaken" seemed to us a shallow imitation of their former glory,
and the title song just plain silly. As someone said, treading
water, their first that broke no new ground. The first of many
disappointments to come, and the harbinger of the end of an
age, and the dawn of the dreaded Love Beach years. Of course
that's a subjective history, and I should probably hear it again.

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 11:14

Fragile DT -Yeah Genesis can put alot of emotions in their music but Yes 

can much much more. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 11:22

can much much more. 

It depends what touches you personally, I guess. Both bands made very emotional music, but IMO Genesis just about beats Yes.

-------------

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 11:49

Blacksword-Your attitude in music is like -everything that is not prog is crap.

It isn`t so .

-------------

Posted By: Proglover
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 12:28

You are crazy............

Posted By: Proglover
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 12:31
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

can much much more. 

It depends what touches you personally, I guess. Both bands made very emotional music, but IMO Genesis just about beats Yes.

Umm....well I don't think that Genesis necessarily has MORE emotion than YES.....Steve Howe is one of the most emotive players I have ever heard in the rock medium.

Posted By: lunaticviolist
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 12:32
I think it's their last great album.  I love Turn of the Century.  It's absolutely gorgeous.

-------------
My recent purchases:

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 12:44
Originally posted by Proglover Proglover wrote:

You are crazy............

Well, it's all a matter of taste.  To my tastes, inane sentimentality and the dragging of simple musical ideas into the ground aren't examples of good music.  Listening to 'Awaken' is like being forced to drink a gallon of lite beer in one sitting.   

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 12:46
Originally posted by Proglover Proglover wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

can much much more. 

Umm....well I don't think that Genesis necessarily has MORE emotion than YES.....Steve Howe is one of the most emotive players I have ever heard in the rock medium.

I'd agree with you here.  I don't see how anyone could say that Genesis' music is more "emotional" than Yes.  Yes' music is often emotional to the point of being sappy; not much of Genesis' prog output could be considered sappy, IMO.   

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 16:12

GFTO is the best album I've ever heard.

It's the Mount Everest of albums.

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 16:25
I think it's a masterpiece myself- probably my 2nd fave Yes album (I can't decide whether CTTE or Relayer is my fave Yes album). And 'Awaken' is frankly perfect and shows prog at its absolute peak- however there's an aura of sadness attached to it for me, as it's the last truly exceptional prog epic I've heard to be honest, and certainly Yes' last one, imo. Certainly Rick Wakeman's deliriously brilliant church organ interlude in 'Awaken' is kind of like a 'last hurrah' of the golden years of prog to these ears...

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 16:32

It's good. I enjoy it, but i won't call it a masterpiece.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: The Green Tank
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 16:38
From all the Yes research I've done I;m under the impression that Going For the One is the last Yes album worth listening to. I'll get it one day.

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 17:34
Originally posted by The Green Tank The Green Tank wrote:

From all the Yes research I've done I;m under the impression that Going For the One is the last Yes album worth listening to. I'll get it one day.

No, Big Generator rates as the last Yes album worth listening to. GFTO rates in their top list. Haven't you read the previous posts in this thread- many have mentioned this is the last of the true spirit of Yes releases. That doesn't mean it is bad, it means it is good.

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 17:45
IMO, Going for the One is the most accessible classic yes album. It certainly belons in the top 5 list, iand I prefer it to Tales. If you don't have it, I highly reccomend it.

-------------

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 17:49
To be honest, there are few, if any, dreadful Yes albums- certainly some are lacking, such as 'Tormato' and 'Union', but Yes' AOR material like '90125' and 'Big Generator' is far cleverer than Genesis' 80s stuff is for the most part, and albums like 'The Ladder' are actually superb for a band so late into their career...

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 17:55
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

To be honest, there are few, if any, dreadful Yes albums- certainly some are lacking, such as 'Tormato' and 'Union', but Yes' AOR material like '90125' and 'Big Generator' is far cleverer than Genesis' 80s stuff is for the most part, and albums like 'The Ladder' are actually superb for a band so late into their career...

Agreed. Not much wrong with Magnification for a bunch of oldies, either.

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 18:15

Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I guess it depends on what you mean by "dreadful."  IMO, if Yes had begun life with Tormato and only had the albums to their credit that they released since then, they'd be a pretty sorry excuse for a band.  Tormato wasn't any good, IMO.  Drama had Machine Messiah, but I'm wholly unimpressed by the rest of it.  90125 was mediocre -- they did some interesting things with Owner of a Loney Heart, but much of the rest of the album is boring arena-rock -- nowhere near the calibre of Abacab, IMO.  Now with Big Generator I think they were on to something.  No, it wasn't really "Yes," (as anyone into their history knows, Rabin-Yes wasn't really the same band), but this represented the pinnacle of the Rabin era, IMO. Then there was Union and ABWH which I think were god-awful.  Talk was fair; the Keys Studio stuff was fair, Open Your Eyes was one of the worst albums I've ever heard by a band that has released an album that I think is good (right up there with Calling All Stations).  The Ladder was frustratingly inconsistent and Magnification brought Yes back up to the level of being blandly decent.   

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 18:21
So, in other words Yargh, you prefer pop to composition. That's fine, but did you know that you are on a progressive music site? 

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 18:28

Originally posted by cobb cobb wrote:

So, in other words Yargh, you prefer pop to composition. That's fine, but did you know that you are on a progressive music site? 

Abacab is far more creative than 90125.  Furthermore I rate TYA, Fragile, CTTE and Relayer among the best prog albums ever, so spare me your witticisms about my preferring pop over prog.  The fact that you're even discussing Yes' post 1974 material in terms of how *good* it is says a lot more about your tolerance for real progressive music than my own.  

Posted By: Foojoe
Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 18:31
 Have to agree the last really brilliant album from the band. To hear "Awaken" in concert is truly moving, especially in this day of hit and run music.

Date Posted: November 07 2005 at 18:36

Abacab is far more creative than 90125.  Furthermore I rate TYA, Fragile, CTTE and Relayer among the best prog albums ever, so spare me your witticisms about my preferring pop over prog.  The fact that you're even discussing Yes' post 1974 material in terms of how *good* it is says a lot more about your tolerance for real progressive music than my own.  

touche

Posted By: daz2112
Date Posted: January 29 2006 at 13:07
Excellent album Awaken is awesome!

-------------
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk