Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14170
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 06:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Metal!
Posted By: walrus333
Subject: Metal!
Date Posted: November 08 2005 at 18:23

Ok basically I want to educate myself on more genres of metal other than prog-metal so if you guys could list some "definative/classic" albums for these genres of metal:

Power Metal

Thrash Metal

Brutal Death

Melodic Death

Folk Metal

Gothic Metal

Classic Metal( I have some Zepplin, I am thinking of getting some Sabbath what cd should I get)

Thanks for your help

-------------
If anyone knows where I can get a copy of some Flute and Voice (Indo-Prog/Raga Rock) albums please PM me! Many thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: November 08 2005 at 18:37

Here's some of my favorite metal masterpieces´:

Thrash and related:

1. Metallica - Ride the Lightning
  2. Metallica - Master of Puppets
  3. Metallica - ... And Justice for All
  4. Megadeth - Rust in Peace
  5. Sanctuary - Into the Mirror Black
  6. Death Angel - Act III

Sort of Power (proto-Power):

1. Iron Maiden - Killers
  2. Iron Maiden - Powerslave
  3. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast

Death Metal:

1. Slayer - South of Heaven (they are a Thrash band, but also seen as "Proto" - Death by many)
  2. Death - anything (the earlier, the more brutal)

Power Metal:

• Blind Guardian - Imaginations from the Other Side
  • Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's Guild (borderline Speed Metal)
  • Kamelot - anything

These are all essential ...

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Date Posted: November 08 2005 at 20:38

thanks

i have the metallica already, I will get the others

-------------
If anyone knows where I can get a copy of some Flute and Voice (Indo-Prog/Raga Rock) albums please PM me! Many thanks!

Posted By: Xymphony
Date Posted: November 08 2005 at 22:40

Try these, hope (almost sure ;) ) you won't regret:

POWER or HEAVY (may be some prog)

Royal Hunt: Fear, Paradox

Kamelot:The Fourth Legacy, Karma, Black Halo

Angra: Temple Of Shadows, Rebirth

Bruce Dickinson: The Cemical Wedding, Accident Of Birth, Balls To Picasso, Tyranny Of Souls (all highly recommended)

As For Folk Metal: Einherjer is good, can't remember which allbums. And Borknagar - Quintessence is great.

Did you listen to Symphony X? My favourite band. The Divine Wings Of Tragedy is a great power prog album by them. The Odyssey is some sort of Thrash - Prog - Power, also amazing. My favourite album is "V, The New Mythology Suite", absolute masterpiece. (If you 're into prog metal, you should have listened them)

Melodic Death: Try "In Flames" - The Jester Race , and Whoracle

or Moonspell - Wolfheart

If you like to try Melodic Black, i advise "Cradle Of Filth" - Cruelty And The Beast

As For Thrash Metal, absolutely get Megadeth - Rust In Peace! total classic

Hope you like em :D

Posted By: Destrio
Date Posted: November 09 2005 at 00:39

Folk Metal - Finntroll, Wintersun

Death Metal - Opeth, Cryptopsy, Death

Black metal - Ulver, Emperor, Burzum

Power Metal - Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall, Sinergy

Children of Bodom are also very good, dunno where to put thme though

Posted By: Citanul
Date Posted: November 09 2005 at 02:09
Originally posted by Destrio Destrio wrote:

Folk Metal - Finntroll, Wintersun

Can anybody recommend some Folk Metal bands that aren't predominantly black metal?  I know of the following - Skyclad, Cruachan, Elvenking, Wuthering Heights, and Tuatha de Dannan.  Any others out there worth investigating?

-------------
Be or be not. There is no question. - Yoda, Prince of Denmark

Date Posted: November 09 2005 at 02:27

^ Try those in the Doom/Dark or Orchestral/Gothic section of my chart.

http://uneasy-listening.com/ProgMetal.html - http://uneasy-listening.com/ProgMetal.html

Many of them have Folk influences.

-------------

Posted By: ColonelClaypool
Date Posted: November 09 2005 at 06:13

Death Metal wise, you definitely should check out Nile, imo the best death metal band in the world. Their music is egyptian-themed and brutal as heck. Best place to start would be "In Their Darkened Shrines", "Black Seeds of Vengeance" or their latest release "Annihilation of the Wicked".

Other death metal greats:
Behemoth - "Thelema 6" and "Demigod"
Akercocke - "Choronzon"

I'd also recommend the latest Enslaved album, "Isa", even though it's more black/viking metal..

-------------
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.

Posted By: Reverie
Date Posted: November 09 2005 at 22:57

I'm not much of a fan of melodic death, but really the one band i like is Dark Tranquillity. I suggest you check out their album "The Gallery".

For the brutal stuff i would recommend Psycroptic's "Sceptre of the Ancients", Nile's "In Their Darkened Shrines" and Morbid Angel's "Blessed Are The Sick" (pretty old school sounding, but i don't like their latter material). If you want some more interesting (and harder to swallow) death metal i'll suggest Demilich's "Nespithe" (which you can find for free on their website) or Gorguts' "Obscura".

Posted By: Logos
Date Posted: November 10 2005 at 02:20
Originally posted by walrus333 walrus333 wrote:

Folk Metal

Get anything from Moonsorrow! An absolutely fantastic band, the best Folk/Viking/Pagan metal band in the world. At times very heavy!

Posted By: theagoloco
Date Posted: November 10 2005 at 06:42

hi everyone !

Please visit my band's website : http://www.bloomred.com - www.bloomred.com

MP3 available !

-------------
Theago Loco

Posted By: John Gargo
Date Posted: November 10 2005 at 16:10

Power Metal

• Helloween

Thrash Metal

• http://www.intruder.biz - www.intruder.biz <--free mp3s, one full length album

Gothic Metal

• Paradise Lost (early)

Classic Metal (Sabbath)

• Master of Reality
  • Volume 4
  • Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Wakeman on the keys)
  • Sabotage
  • Heaven and Hell (Ronnie James Dio on vocals)
  • Headless Cross (Tony Martin on vocals)

Thanks for your help

• You're welcome

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: November 10 2005 at 16:45

Recommended Albums - these are albums that absolutely defined the genres and generally go an extra mile or two:

Power Metal - Riot : Narita, Skid Row : Slave to the Grind

Thrash Metal - Metallica : Kill 'em All, Ride the Lightning, Slayer : Reign in Blood, Sacred Reich : Ignorance, Megadeth : Killing is my Business And Business Is Good, Anthrax : Spreading the Disease

I don't know about Brutal or Melodic Death Metal, but it all started with Death : Scream Bloody Gore

Folk Metal - Is there such a thing?

Gothic Metal - Cradle of Filth : Midian - every other Goth Metal band I've ever heard has just seemed watered down in comparison, and Midian is more progressive than most of the Prog Metal in the archives, IMO. Maybe I just like them because they're so progressive

Classic Metal - Now we're talking;

1st generation Heavy Metal - High Tide : Sea Shanties, Led Zeppelin : II, Black Sabbath : Black Sabbath

Mid period Metal - Judas Priest : Sad Wings of Destiny, Stained Class, Pink Fairies : Kings of Oblivion, Groundhogs : Split, Motorhead : On Parole

NWOBHM - AC/DC : Back in Black, Black Sabbath : Heaven and Hell, Motorhead : Ace of Spades, Scorpions : Lovedrive, Iron Maiden : Number of the Beast, Diamond Head : Living on Borrowed Time, Raven : All for One... and hundreds of other classics!

Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: November 10 2005 at 17:31

Power - Edguy (Hellfire Club)

Melodic Death - Children of Bodom (HateBreeder), Norther (Dreams of endless War), In Flames (Reroute To Remain)

Thrash - Megadeth (Countdown To Extinction)

heavy - Iron Maiden (7th Son of a 7th Son, Brave New World)

gothic - Paradise Lost (Icon, Draconian Times)

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Posted By: Strik9
Date Posted: November 11 2005 at 13:12

Death and Thrash are my main musical loves so here's some off the top of my head:

Death Metal, Technical Death Metal, Death/Grind and Death/Thrash

Death, Cryptopsy, Cannibal Corpse, Deicide, Morbid Angel, Suffocation, Asphyx, early Cancer, Napalm Death, Immolation, Malevolent Creation, Sadus, Obituary, early Carcass....

Thrash Metal

Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Dark Angel, 80's Metallica, Annihilator, Kreator, Exodus, Testament, Overkill, Xentrix, Death Angel, Nuclear Assault, Suicidal Tendencies, S.O.D.....

Some of the bigger names and some more obscure bands to get a newbie started imo.

Date Posted: November 11 2005 at 13:52
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Ha! Your ignorance amuses me.

Posted By: Manunkind
Date Posted: November 11 2005 at 14:48

Power metal - can't really help you there, but IMO Dragonforce really seem to love what they do and you can hear it in their music

Thrash metal - Master of Puppets, Rust in Peace are great recommendations. You can also try Exodus - "Bonded by Blood". Slayer's "Reign in Blood" is sort of half-way thrash/death and an extremely infulential album, but IMO it is also extremely boring.

Brutal death -  don't get "Scream Bloody Gore" (sorry Cert), it's a good album, but it's not really death metal. Actually the only brutal death album from Death is "Leprosy" (recommended). Strik9 gave you some excellent recommendations above, but just to specify the very best: 

Morbid Angel - "Altars of Madness", "Formulas Fatal to the Flesh" (actually the only MA album to avoid is "Heretic") 

Suffocation - "Effigy of the Forgotten" (probably the best songs  in brutal death metal, beg, steal to get it)

Cryptopsy - "None so Vile"

Immolation - "Close to a World Below"

Gorguts - "Obscura"

(the last three are absolutely insane) 

Melodic death - Carcass - "Heartwork", also At the Gates, Opeth, early In Flames and early Edge of Sanity

Folk metal - In Extremo

Gothic metal - Type O Negative (quite a tongue-in-cheek band, but musically supreme, start with "World Coming Down", "October Rust" and "Bloody Kisses")

Some gothic-influenced bands in the archives - Lacrimosa and Anathema

Also Paradise Lost (although they're pure gothic metal only from "One Second" onwards and "Host" is a Depeche Mode-style album) and maybe early Theatre of Tragedy

Also why not try doom metal? It's a very rich genre, one I've only begun to explore and I love it so far... some examples -

(raw but beautiful) My Dying Bride (everything), Morgion "Solinari", Esoteric

(raw but catchy) Candlemass (everything, especially "Nightfall"), early Cathedral, Solitude Aeternus

(raw but... erm, raw, very raw) Burning Witch, Khanate, Wormphlegm, Worship (unfortunately albums by these bands are very hard to get)

Enjoy!     

EDIT: How could I have forgotten black metal... get Mayhem's "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" and "A Grand Declaration of War", Satyricon's "Nemesis Divina" and "Rebel Extravaganza", all the albums by Emperor, Dimmu Borgir's "Spiritual Black Dimensions", Cradle of Filth's "Vempire" and wait for Logos to come, give you some more black metal recommendations and flame me for suggesting Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth  

-------------
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun

Date Posted: November 11 2005 at 15:49
Originally posted by Manunkind Manunkind wrote:

EDIT: How could I have forgotten black metal... get Mayhem's "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" and "A Grand Declaration of War", Satyricon's "Nemesis Divina" and "Rebel Extravaganza", all the albums by Emperor, Dimmu Borgir's "Spiritual Black Dimensions", Cradle of Filth's "Vempire" and wait for Logos to come, give you some more black metal recommendations and flame me for suggesting Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth

- btw, your suggestions are so UN-TRUE .. Mayhem is totally mainstream . I'd recommend something totally UG like Infernum's Taur-nu-fuin or Clandestine Blaze's Fist of the Northern Destroyer.

No, but seriously.. the 5 essential (but not the best .. ) black metal albums are as follows..

Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal

Posted By: glass house
Date Posted: November 11 2005 at 16:40
Ed said :

Thrash - Megadeth (Countdown To Extinction)

Please, do not tell me you think this one is better than Rust In Peace !

Topic, Machine Head-Burn My Eyes ( absolute must have )

Date Posted: November 11 2005 at 20:01
I'd say you're better off skipping the Machine Head stuff (which I find quite mediocre and boring) and go straight to the band's immediate predecessor, VIO-LENCE.  They just reissued the band's first two albums... much more technical songwriting, and the vocals are much more interesting as well.

Date Posted: November 11 2005 at 21:04

Thnks for the suggestions eveyone! keep em coming.

@Manukind  I totally forgot about doom metal, thanks for the reminder.

Also as far as Black Metal goes does anyone think Immortal is worth checking out?

-------------

Posted By: Xymphony
Date Posted: November 11 2005 at 21:54

Also as far as Black Metal goes does anyone think Immortal is worth checking out?

Yes. I advise "At The Heart Of Winter" and "Damned In Black" albums.  They are really really cool...

Posted By: avestin
Date Posted: November 12 2005 at 00:05
Originally posted by Xymphony Xymphony wrote:

Yes. I advise "At The Heart Of Winter" and "Damned In Black" albums.  They are really really cool...

Two good albums.

There are so many Black metal bands (and most are not very good or innovative). I would recommend:

Limbonic Art - In Abhorrence Dementia, Moon In The Scorpio and The Ultimate Death Worship

Diabolical Masquerade - Death's Design, Nightwork and Ravendusk In My Heart

Negura Bunget - 'N Crugu Bradului and Maiastru Sfetnic

1349 - Beyond The Apocalypse

Akercocke (mix of Black and Death metal) - Choronzon, The Goat of Mendes

Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro and Domine Non Es Dignus

There are more good bands but this will suffice for now

-------------
http://hangingsounds.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Hanging Sounds

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Posted By: GoldenSpiral
Date Posted: November 12 2005 at 01:21

Gothic metal - Type O Negative (quite a tongue-in-cheek band, but musically supreme, start with "World Coming Down", "October Rust" and "Bloody Kisses")

Type-O is a fabulous band, I have been into them for many years.  Howver, I would disagree with these recommendations.  Start with Bloody Kisses, then Life is Killing Me, Origin of the Feces, and October Rust (World Coming Down is, in fact, my least fav of their albums). 

Bloody Kisses is probably the crowning masterpiece of gothic metal.  brilliant songs and composition, with a touch of dark humor that's impossible to beat.  their cover of Summer Breeze is great and quite funny, but there are many amazing songs on that album. 

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/altaic" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: November 12 2005 at 02:45

Thrash:

Anthrax-Spreading the Disease,Among the Living

Metallica-Kill em All,Ride the Lightning,Master of Puppets

Megadeth-Pease Sells...but Who's Buying?,Rust in Peace

Slayer-Hell Awaits,Reign in Blood,South of Heaven

Stormtroopers of Death-Speak English or Die

Sacred Reich-Ignorance,American Way

Death Angel-Act III

Exodus-Bonded by Blood,Fabulous Disaster

Nuclear Assault-Survive,Handle with Care

Overkill-The Years of Decay

Metal Church-Metal Church,Blessing in Disguise,Human Factor

Testament-The Legacy,The New Order,The Ritual

-------------

Posted By: Bryan
Date Posted: November 12 2005 at 03:20

Since I'd say the classics have been pretty well established, here are some of my personal faves.

Power Metal:
Kamelot - The Black Halo
Stratovarius - Episode
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth
Children of Bodom - Hatebreeder (although beware, they have black metal-esque vocals)

Thrash Metal:
Sodom - Agent Orange
Watchtower - Control and Resistance
Atheist - Unquesitonable Presence (it blurs the line between thrash and death metal, but I'm putting it down as thrash)

Brutal Death:
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Death - The Sound of Peseverence (not quite as brutal, but certainly not melodic)
Gorguts - Obscura

Melodic Death:
In Flames - The Jester Race
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Edge of Sanity - Crimson (not really melodic death in the same sense, but not really brutal either)
Opeth - Blackwater Park (ditto with the above)
Hypocrisy - Virus
Arsis - A Diamond For Disease

In addition...

Black Metal:
Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
Anaal Nathrakh - Total f**king Necro
Ulver - Bergtatt, Nattens Madrigal
Burzum - Filosofem
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors (not really black metal, but generally classified as such)

Some albums which don't really fit clearly under any single subgenre (all listed on PA, but none of them are prog-metal in the Dream Theater sense):

Meshuggah - Catch 33
Maudlin of the Well - Bath/Leaving Your Body Map
Cynic - Focus

Date Posted: November 12 2005 at 04:01

Absolutely. What a great band.

Posted By: ColonelClaypool
Date Posted: November 12 2005 at 06:50

Some personal black metal favourites:

Enslaved - anything really, but "Mardraum" stands out for me. Their newest album, "ISA" is even better, but doesn't really fit the "black" label.

Old Man's Child - Ill-Natured Spiritual Invasion

Windir - Arntor, 1184

Morgul - The horror grandeur

Rakoth - Planeshift (Russian band, great stuff)

Thorns - Thorns

And I second Immortal, especially "At the Heart of Winter".

-------------
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.

Date Posted: November 12 2005 at 09:45

Originally posted by Logos Logos wrote:

Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Ha! Your ignorance amuses me.

I must admit that yours pisses me off. I didn't know IQs went that low.

Date Posted: November 12 2005 at 10:00
- it's not that big a deal..

Date Posted: November 12 2005 at 10:21

- it's not that big a deal..

My point exactly.

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: November 12 2005 at 10:42

Get these!!

• Metallica - Kill'em All
  • Metallica - Ride The Lightning
  • Metallica - Master Of Puppets
  • Metallica - ...And Justice For All
  • Slayer - Hell Awaits
  • Slayer - Reign In Blood
  • Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast
  • Iron Maiden - Piece Of Mind
  • Iron Maiden - Powerslave
  • Iron Maiden - Live After Death
  • Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
  • Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
  • AC/DC - Let There Be Rock
  • AC/DC - Highway To Hell
  • AC/DC - If You Want Blood (You've Got It)
  • AC/DC - Back In Black

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Date Posted: November 14 2005 at 05:25

- btw, your suggestions are so UN-TRUE .. Mayhem is totally mainstream . I'd recommend something totally UG like Infernum's Taur-nu-fuin or Clandestine Blaze's Fist of the Northern Destroyer.

No, but seriously.. the 5 essential (but not the best .. ) black metal albums are as follows..

Darkthrone - Transilvanian Hunger
Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
Mayhem - De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
Ulver - Nattens Madrigal

Good suggestions - although first get well acquainted with Emperor, Mayhem, Satyricon etc. and THEN ONLY get Darkthrone and Ulver's "Nattens Madrigal" (really uncompromising stuff, maybe a bit too uncompromising)

And everyone, sorry for not responding earlier, I had some major issues with the Internet over the last few days and couldn't even log out!   

-------------
"In war there is no time to teach or learn Zen. Carry a strong stick. Bash your attackers." - Zen Master Ikkyu Sojun

Posted By: Goblinisgod
Date Posted: November 14 2005 at 19:16
For death if you're a fan of prog is sacriligious to ignore Athiest's Unquestionable Prescence. Very proggy and Jazzy. Try to get the reissue.

Immolation, Cryptopsy, Gorguts, Death and Morbid Angel I heartily endorse.

I didn't like the new Nile album because it soundedl ike all the albums they'd done before.

Power Metal: I find most power metal to be nothing but 5th rate Iron Maiden ripoffs so the 2 bands I reccommend to you are Virgin Steele (very epic concept albums) and Manilla Road (who coined the term Epic Metal)

and Manowar are worth it for the pure cheese factor.

Thrash: Death Angel (technical as f**k!)

Dark Angel-Darkness Descends (makes Reign in Blood sound like the Beatles)

Black Metal:
Enslaved: This band has been progressive their entire career and they're no longer BM really

Nargaroth-Herbsleytd. One of the greatest BM releases ever.

Emperor: Everything up to Anthems... After this I stopped listening to them but if all you care about is technicality over songwriting, then the more recent stuff you will like.

Inquisition: Into The Infernal REgions of the Ancient Cult. This album really reminds me of the atmosphere I felt when I fearst heard stuff like De Mysteriis... and Nargaroth.

Forgotten Woods: Mistakenly labelled as Burzum rip-offs. Very epic compositions

Limbonic Art-Moon in the Scorpio. One of the very few "symphonic" BM albums that doesn't suck goat excrement.

If you want more recommendations, I *ahem* reccomend you listen to my radio show friday nights

Date Posted: November 14 2005 at 19:19

Originally posted by Goblinisgod Goblinisgod wrote:

Dark Angel-Darkness Descends (makes Reign in Blood sound like the Beatles)

I always thought this album was a tad bit overrated...  it is sloppy and a lot of the songs tend to run on into each other.  In my opinion, Dark Angel hit their peak with the technical and complex masterpiece, Time Does Not Heal, which some days I would even swear is the best thrash album ever written.

Posted By: Goblinisgod
Date Posted: November 14 2005 at 19:34
I forgot to mention Doom-Metal my favourite style.

yoou can check www.doom-metal.com since its the authority.

For Traditional Doom:
Pentagram (US) started out the same time as Sabbath
Solitude Aeternus (Rob Lowe is an incredible vocalist)
Candlemass (The Doom Gods)
Reverend Bizarre (Heavier and more sarcastic than most Trad Doom Bands. Crazy Finns )
Trouble (Very good musically but extremely preachy christian metal though)
Cathedral (essential band regardless of style they're playing)
Goat Snake-Essentially blues based Metal. One of the millions of projects involving the great Stephen O'Malley and Greg Anderson

Stoner
Electric Wizard
Sleep (sounded like Sabbath clones until they did Jerusalem/Dopesmoker. A 52/60 minute single track epic)
YOB (Weird vocals but very heavy)

Doom-Death:
Winter (started it all)
Disembowelment (faster than most Doom bands. Very atmospheric)
My Dying Bride (essential)
Anathema, Katatonia and Paradise Lost (early stuff is essential for these 3 bands. Katatonia is the only one worth listening to now as PLst are 10th Depeche Mode ripoffs and Anathema are 5th Radiohead ripoffs)
The Prophecy-Modern Doom Death with lots of variation in the songwriting and harmonic guitar leads. One of the more exciting bands to listen to.
Dusk (underrated and obscure, but very good)
Aphotic (Ibid. More dissonant than Dusk)
Morgion (one of my favourite bands, now sadly disbanded. But the last 2 albums they did (Solinair and Cloaked by Ages...) are amazing

Funeral Doom
Skepticism-listen to this at your funeral
Unholy-Very weird and hard to listen to
Esoteric-one of the most incredible listening experiences of any genre awaits you with these misanthropic Brits
Thergothon-Finnish fathers of the genre. Very underproduced and ugly sounding. Fhtgan Nagh Yog Sothoth indeed
Until Death Overtakes Me-More charming funeral music. A bit too repetitive at times however

Drone
Earth-Fathers of the genre
Sunn O)))- Started out as a Earth (!) homage, now evolved into something more interesting. Another of O'Malley's bands
Khanate-This is sick music, very challenging. Another of O'Malley's bands. Check out Burning Witch first as its among the same lines but older and therefore less challening.
Trollman Av Ildtopberg-Haunting

Date Posted: November 14 2005 at 19:46

@Goblinisgod

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2005 at 08:53
^Goblin , do you know Swallow the Sun?

Posted By: Sam Fire
Date Posted: November 16 2005 at 19:15

I heartily endorse the frequent listening and observation of their album "The Ultra-Violence," in large and loud quantities! 

Check out Death's Live in LA album.  Very raw and powerful, I prefer it to their studio work. 

And definately get some DragonForce, even if just for Herman Li's insane guitar pyrotechnics. 

Also, another interesting black metal band is the American group Windham Hell.  Get "Reflective Depths Imbibe," it a fantastic album. 

-------------
THE DEMON CODE PREVENTS ME FROM DECLINING A ROCK-OFF CHALLENGE!!!

Date Posted: November 19 2005 at 07:56

Originally posted by Sam Fire Sam Fire wrote:

Also, another interesting black metal band is the American group Windham Hell.  Get "Reflective Depths Imbibe," it a fantastic album. 

Where's the black metal in it?

Date Posted: November 19 2005 at 08:01

I heartily endorse the frequent listening and observation of their album "The Ultra-Violence," in large and loud quantities! 

Nice album ... but I think that Act III is much better.

-------------

Posted By: Sam Fire
Date Posted: November 19 2005 at 12:53

Where's the black metal in it?

Okay, so "black metal" is perhaps a bit of a misnomer, its more like, uh, ambient, neo-classical, um, metal, uh, with, um... whatever, it's still good!

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Nice album ... but I think that Act III is much better.

Er, I only have "The Ultra-Violence".  I know, "POSER ALERT!!!"  I'll get around to finding it, though. 

-------------
THE DEMON CODE PREVENTS ME FROM DECLINING A ROCK-OFF CHALLENGE!!!

Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: November 19 2005 at 21:09

Some thrash gems :

Suicidal tendencies - lights, camera, revolution (their best)

overkill - horrorscope (their best)

slayer - south of heaven

metallica - ride the lightning, master of puppets, ...and justice for all

coroner - mental vortex

anthrax - i am the man EP (good blend of rap and thrash metal wsith a sense of humour)

testament - souls of black

kreator - coma of souls

brutal death metal :

carcass - necroticism : descanting the insalubrious

cancer - death shall rise (feat James Murphy on lead guitar)

obituary - cause of death (feat James Murphy on lead guitar)

entombed - clandestine

morbid angel - altar of madness

grave - into the grave

+ Deicide and Napalm Death

technical death metal :

death - individual thought patterns

disharmonic orchestra - not to be undimensional conscious

atheist - unquestionable presence

pestilence - spheres

death metal with alternating vocals (clear / growling) :

fear factory - demanufacture

supuration - the cube

opeth - blackwater park

symphonic death metal :

bal sagoth - battle magic (death metal with keyboards !!!)

melodic death metal :

amorphis - tales from the thousand lakes

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Date Posted: November 19 2005 at 21:28
I forgot an essential thrash metal album : Annihilator's 'Alice in hell'

-------------

Date Posted: November 19 2005 at 22:06
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

technical death metal :

death - individual thought patterns

disharmonic orchestra - not to be undimensional conscious

atheist - unquestionable presence

pestilence - spheres

Never heard of Disharomic Orchestra but if they're anywhere near as brilliant as those other three, I'm in for a treat.

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: November 19 2005 at 22:43

Lucas,you really think L,C,R is Suicidal Tendencies best album?

IMO their best would be Join the Army.

-------------

Date Posted: November 20 2005 at 16:54
In regards to Suicidal Tendencies, I always had a fondness for How Can I Laugh Tomorrow..., which to me sounded the most "thrash" of all of their releases.  It's unusually melodic for that kind of music.

Date Posted: November 22 2005 at 12:35

Originally posted by John Gargo John Gargo wrote:

In regards to Suicidal Tendencies, I always had a fondness for How Can I Laugh Tomorrow..., which to me sounded the most "thrash" of all of their releases.  It's unusually melodic for that kind of music.

"How will I laugh tomorrow (when I can't even smile today)". Good album too, and the commercial follow up 'Art of Rebellion' is not bad.

-------------

Posted By: Shark Sandwich
Date Posted: November 23 2005 at 16:57
Originally posted by lucas lucas wrote:

pestilence - spheres

"Spheres" is very good but they pretty much abandoned death metal on this one. "Testimony Of The Ancients" is their last real death album and I think it's their best. Tony Choy of Atheist/Cynic played bass on that one. It's unfortunate they split up after only a few albums, very underrated band.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk