Print Page | Close Window

Styx

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=14991
Printed Date: May 18 2024 at 10:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Styx
Posted By: Guests
Subject: Styx
Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:03

I don't always pay attention to who has been added to prog archives, some make me mad others i can only shake my head at....but Styx? Now i can't stop laughing, i'm laughing so hard and loud that i expect an ASBO any minute now. I can't control myself, i've never pissed myself laughing, but i have now. I need to get a catheter, this is so funny.

Why are Styx prog?. I use to have most of their albums, and i'm still waiting to hear prog (see Kate Bush also), typical North American middle of the road band, aiming at every audience, but prog.

This is my view, and i stand by it, there is so much crap that people are sticking in here as prog, that there rae probably only about 30 bands in the whole music universe that need to be added in here, before every band since time begun has been added.

Replies:
Posted By: vampire
Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:04
Yeah what the hell.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:08

As Styx are categorised as "Prog Related", I don't see the problem!

..and it may be a good idea to change the title of your thread...

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:11
How are they prog related....does a cousin of theirs play in a real prog band?

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:15

Prog Related

Prog Related definition
Rock and Pop Bands and Artists after 1970 who were not truly “prog” (as that term is generally and broadly defined, even by the site), but who were clearly not “mainstream” or simply “rock” bands.

A wide subgenre that encompasses two kinds of bands/artist, that either consist of progressive artist that strayed away from their progressive roots into mainstream rock or were influenced by progressive rock.

Even though the music by these artists is sometimes unrelated it had things in common with prog music in that it was very structured and even adventurous, sometimes hard or heavy, sometimes mellow, strong melodies, good hooks are an integral part of most of the material. Sometimes these artists pioneered other rock genres.

Though most of these artist can't really be considered progressive themselves, their relation to progressive music is not to be underestimated.

-------------

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:17

Originally posted by dream_orchestra dream_orchestra wrote:

How are they prog related....does a cousin of theirs play in a real prog band?

But i really agree... I mean, we have to stop at some extent. cause pretty soon we'll have rap, R&B, country bands all in Prog Related because they had a long song (OMG A LONG SONG. THAT IS SO PROG) or they had ONE SONG with odd time signatures... 

But I understand, the website HAS to do this to keep it alive you know... get more people in it... But by doing that, they're kind of changing the world of Prog! I mean, theres like this urge to add new bands on the archives to make it bigger... But every future addition will be a step further from prog whether u like it or not

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:17
Here we go again...

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:21
You don't need to see, you need to hear that they are mainstream, deadly boring, bland and definitely nowhere near prog. Music to shoot your neighbour for playing.

Posted By: Ty1020
Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:23
Styx has been here forever . Why get so upset about it now?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Ty1020/">

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:23

You don't need to see, you need to hear that they are mainstream, deadly boring blamd and definitely nowhere near prog. Music to shoot your neighbour for playing.

lol I like your humour

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:26

I'm glad someone gets my humour, most seem dead from the ears down in this place.

But, generally i have a valid point to make (IMO).

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:29

I'm glad someone gets my humour, most seem dead from the ears down in this place.

I'm sorry, i didn't realise the whole thing was a joke!

-------------

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:33
Nor me... I think there are other bands here like Triumph that are much less prog than Styx are. Also, Styx have been here for about a year or more I believe...

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:35

lol yea.. I agree that some bands are worst than Styx, and Styx have always been known to be "art rock"... But there are most defenitely ridiculous bands on this website. and like I said

"I mean, we have to stop at some extent. cause pretty soon we'll have rap, R&B, country bands all in Prog Related because they had a long song (OMG A LONG SONG. THAT IS SO PROG) or they had ONE SONG with odd time signatures... 

But I understand, the website HAS to do this to keep it alive you know... get more people in it... But by doing that, they're kind of changing the world of Prog! I mean, theres like this urge to add new bands on the archives to make it bigger... But every future addition will be a step further from prog whether u like it or not"

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:37

Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Nor me... I think there are other bands here like Triumph, who I very much like, that are much less prog than Styx are. Also, Styx have been here for about a year or more I believe...

I think you are right, as long as I  remeber anyway! Not a fan of Styx myself and don't know their music that well....

-------------

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:38
Originally posted by stebo32 stebo32 wrote:

"I mean, we have to stop at some extent. cause pretty soon we'll have rap, R&B, country bands all in Prog Related because they had a long song (OMG A LONG SONG. THAT IS SO PROG) or they had ONE SONG with odd time signatures... 

But I understand, the website HAS to do this to keep it alive you know... get more people in it... But by doing that, they're kind of changing the world of Prog! I mean, theres like this urge to add new bands on the archives to make it bigger... But every future addition will be a step further from prog whether u like it or not"

hmmmmm..thats twice you've said that now.

-------------

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:41
I mean, we have to stop at some extent. cause pretty soon we'll have rap, R&B, country bands all in Prog Related because they had a long song (OMG A LONG SONG. THAT IS SO PROG) or they had ONE SONG with odd time signatures... 

But I understand, the website HAS to do this to keep it alive you know... get more people in it... But by doing that, they're kind of changing the world of Prog! I mean, theres like this urge to add new bands on the archives to make it bigger... But every future addition will be a step further from prog whether u like it or not

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:49
I still dont understand why you still didn't comment what I wrote... Is it because it tickled your brain a bit>

Posted By: Ty1020
Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 16:51

I still dont understand why you still didn't comment what I wrote... Is it because it tickled your brain a bit>

I think it's probably because you posted it three times .

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Ty1020/">

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 17:13

Didn't think it was worth commenting on.

-------------

Posted By: Ekzodo
Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 17:31

If Stix here, so have to be here:

Nine Inch Nails,

ELO,

Led Zeppelin,

Japan,

Air,

Seru Giran,

and so many others in prog-related

-------------
THERE`S TO MUCH MUSIC AND SO LITTLE TIME TO LISTEN TO IT

VIVA LA ARGENTINA PROGRESIVA!!!!!

Posted By: Tony Fisher
Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 18:12
The Grand Illusion is prog; it's just not very good prog. I haven't played it for 20 years at least.

Posted By: transend
Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 18:26

I like Styx. Point one...are they prog? not sure...

Prog RELATED ?? yeah.. but that term almost defines 'vague'...!!

SO many bands are prog 'related'. OK, look at Iron Maiden; they have the 14 minute song 'rime of the ancient mariner' and the 10 minute song 'Seventh son of a seventh son', those two songs are totally prog. Same can be said for the Grateful dead's 'Terrapin station', 16+ mins of orchestral stuff, its wonderful!

I think it is very hard to draw ANY line, to me; Ultravox and New order are kinda prog. BUT SO MANY BANDS are kinda prog!! It is whatever we like!! I truly believe Muse and Radiohead should NOT be here, but Iron Maiden and Metallica SHOULD. Makes no sense to me, but hey! Its all a collective here eh?

Posted By: Fearless
Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 18:47

deadly boring, bland and definitely nowhere near prog. Music to shoot your neighbour for playing.

Judging by your name, you like Dream Theater.  Well...this desciption basically sums up every DT has done.  And if Styx isn't prog, then neither is DT.

-------------
If you don't stand up
You don't stand a chance!

Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 21:12

This is no joke....but i'll tell you what.............. STYX mailto:AIN@T - AIN'T PROG OR PROG RELATED.

And, why was my thread name changed........??????????????

Posted By: lunaticviolist
Date Posted: November 26 2005 at 21:44
Styx have been in the archives ever since I joined (about a year ago).  I was very surprised to see them in here, but I'm not going to argue with it.  If Styx are prog, so many other late '70s bands could also be considered prog, like Boston (hmmm...I wonder if they're in the archives yet - I hope not).

-------------
My recent purchases:

Posted By: JayDee
Date Posted: November 27 2005 at 01:02
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

i second the motion....

my dad intoduced me to styx when i was at the age of 5... loved them then... still love their music now (twenty years after)

not prog.... but related.....

as for the title of the thread.............. yeah... might as well change it..

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: November 27 2005 at 01:15

I didn't include STYX in Prog Archives, but added the Biography because there was not one when I joined this site.

And I'm not ashamed, as a matter of fact I believe I was pretty clear and honest with my perspective about this band:

Quote STYX is one of those bands that are always mentioned with some fear and shame by the progressive fan because they always played in the border that divides progressive rock from plain POP, I believe the best way to describe them is as a mixture of Art Rock band (understanding this description as the simplest and more commercial form of Progressive Rock) and AOR, somehow in the same vein as JOURNEY or BOSTON but a bit more complex.

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=431 - http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=431  

I'm not sure if they are 100% Prog', but honestly I enjoyed The Grand Illusion very much back in 1978, I believe they are an excellent band with some proggish elements in their first albums.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Progress
Date Posted: November 27 2005 at 01:33
Almost all arena rock bands are prog related.
I don't see any problem with them being listed as a prog-related artist

-------------

Date Posted: November 27 2005 at 09:46

Date Posted: November 27 2005 at 10:09
Originally posted by Majestic_Mayhem Majestic_Mayhem wrote:

i second the motion....

my dad intoduced me to styx when i was at the age of 5... loved them then... still love their music now (twenty years after)

not prog.... but related.....

as for the title of the thread.............. yeah... might as well change it..

I only mentioned this when the thread was called "Holy f**k" or something like that!

-------------

Date Posted: November 27 2005 at 19:58

I hate Dream Theatre, anothe ridiculous inclusion, but most from across the Atlantic need something to cling onto and pop orientated bland music seems to fit the bill as prog over there.

The power of originiality is lost, long live censorship.

Posted By: kenmeyerjr
Date Posted: November 27 2005 at 20:19
I don't see much wrong with considering Styx' early releases as prog or prog related...me, I always liked Tommy Shaw's stuff, but didn't like DeYoung...he was too schmatzy for me in general, and James Young voice is just sub par, so many of his songs end up being tainted by that (much like Steve Howe).

-------------
If you like art of musicians, check my site (the music section) and tell me what you think! http://www.kenmeyerjr.com

Posted By: rushaholic
Date Posted: November 27 2005 at 20:22

I hate Dream Theatre, anothe ridiculous inclusion, but most from across the Atlantic need something to cling onto and pop orientated bland music seems to fit the bill as prog over there.

The power of originiality is lost, long live censorship.

I am beginning to think the only thing ridiculous are your comments.

Posted By: rushaholic
Date Posted: November 27 2005 at 20:23
As for Styx being here, I guess they they have as much right as any.  Especially since they have only been included in the category as prog related.  Much of their early 70's music is very proggy.

Date Posted: November 27 2005 at 20:25
What right is that??????????????

Posted By: SlipperFink
Date Posted: November 28 2005 at 00:54
A modestly talented bunch of kids from Chicago.

They had their moments.

Cut them some slack.

I did.

Didn't kill me.

SM.

-------------
Modesty is an ornament, but one goes further without it. Old German Proverb

Posted By: Zarg 2112
Date Posted: November 28 2005 at 01:04

A few songs of Styx are great, like Ballerina (my favorite) and Suite Madame Blue, just check it out.

-------------
Oh My Lady Fantasy, I... Love You.

Date Posted: November 28 2005 at 01:11

I don't believe STYX are Prog related, to be honset I don't believe in such a thing as Prog Related.

I believe the term Art Rock as the limit between Prog and mainstream defines exactly what Styx is.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Yito
Date Posted: November 28 2005 at 01:25

Yeah¡¡ Ballerina is a great song, but Styx are not prog.

-------------
Psalm 96
1 Sing to the LORD a new song;
       sing to the LORD, all the earth.

Posted By: pero
Date Posted: November 28 2005 at 08:59

Styx prog related 

They are pompous and pop related like ELO and Saga

Bljak

Date Posted: November 29 2005 at 17:27

I remember liking Saga long ago.

Pompous? Sorry, but half the bands we talk about in this forum are pretty pompous...in fact, that might be a prime ingredient of prog! And I don't mean that in a bad way.

-------------
If you like art of musicians, check my site (the music section) and tell me what you think! http://www.kenmeyerjr.com

Posted By: kirklott
Date Posted: November 29 2005 at 17:54
Well if Asia's on this site, then Styx should be too.

I think "prog-related" is a reasonable category. Of course, I'm talking about anything up to and including Pieces of Eight. It was all downhill power ballads from there on out.

-------------
"Progressive rock is the key to the continuance of human evolution." - Charles Darwin

Posted By: Flip_Stone
Date Posted: November 29 2005 at 18:38

There are songs on Styx, Styx II, The Serpent is Rising, Man of Miracles, and Equinox that are undeniably progressive.  Maybe they did go downhill and get poppy and popular (like Genesis), but that's no reason to slam them and act like they've never been progressive.

I guess "ignorance is bliss" for those who just like to attack bands that they aren't really familiar with.

Date Posted: December 01 2005 at 20:01

I am familiar with Styx.........but deafness is obvious for those who include them on here.

As for prog related what fool thought of this category? why not prog related but 3 cousins removed on the mothers side?

Posted By: John Gargo
Date Posted: December 01 2005 at 20:28

This thread is a f**king JOKE and the person who started it is a pompous ass, certainly more pompous than he claims Styx to be, which is pretty ironic and pathetic at the same time.

Styx is a GREAT band and YES, they are prog related.  Anyone who has listened to their albums and can't hear the prog influenced (particularly the early albums) needs to get their hearing checked.

This thread just inspired me to pull out my copy of THE GRAND ILLUSION and give that awesome album a spin!  Awesome band, awesome music, but it's a shame people here can't just leave this band alone... I guess they're simply jealous since for all intents and purposes Styx have had a successful career while other more traditional progressive rock bands are obscure.  Well, that's what happens when you write catchy QUALITY pop songs.  And yes, pop and prog can coexist.  Very much like Supertramp straddled the line between art rock and pop, so have Styx.  Both bands are great.

Next thing you'll know, some pretentious ass from England is going to claim that Kansas and every single other American prog act is worthless.  Way to give prog fans a bad name fellas!

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: December 01 2005 at 21:35

I don't always pay attention to who has been added to prog archives, some make me mad others i can only shake my head at....but Styx? Now i can't stop laughing, i'm laughing so hard and loud that i expect an ASBO any minute now. I can't control myself, i've never pissed myself laughing, but i have now. I need to get a catheter, this is so funny.

Why are Styx prog?. I use to have most of their albums, and i'm still waiting to hear prog (see Kate Bush also), typical North American middle of the road band, aiming at every audience, but prog.

This is my view, and i stand by it, there is so much crap that people are sticking in here as prog, that there rae probably only about 30 bands in the whole music universe that need to be added in here, before every band since time begun has been added.

I had a friend who always said "Styx is for kids!"

Date Posted: December 02 2005 at 03:17

javascript nextPicture;">

Look to this guys and say that Styx is prog.

I was once 1982-1984 listening and singing their songs (and Queen also) but I'm ashame for that period

Sorry if I hurt someone, but for me they didn't pass the test of time

Date Posted: December 02 2005 at 03:31
Originally posted by pero pero wrote:

javascript nextPicture;">

Look to this guys and say that Styx is prog.

I was once 1982-1984 listening and singing their songs (and Queen also) but I'm ashame for that period

Sorry if I hurt someone, but for me they didn't pass the test of time

If you base your opinion in a photo, then we start with the wrong foot

Fripp looks like a computer geek more than a Prog guitar player, Peter Gabriel looks like Sean Connery's brother today, Steve Hackett looked a a revolutionary student when young but all are prog icons.

And about STYX, their first two albums were very close to prog, and they always kept some progressive attitude.

Even if they weren't Prog' I'm not ashamed of liking their music, they made a hell of a rock band.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: erlenst
Date Posted: December 02 2005 at 07:05
Originally posted by John Gargo John Gargo wrote:

This thread is a f**king JOKE and the person who started it is a pompous ass, certainly more pompous than he claims Styx to be, which is pretty ironic and pathetic at the same time.

Date Posted: December 02 2005 at 08:00
 HOW GAY ARE  STYX  

Date Posted: December 02 2005 at 11:25

Ranger wrote:

Quote  HOW GAY ARE  STYX  

I'm never so direct, but his is the most stupid and offensive post I ever read.

I'm not gay, I been raised by a father who hates gay people in a very conservative sovciety as the Peruvian in the 70's where we had a Communist Military Government who banned long hair and Rock saying it was Yankee evil that turned the kids into gays

When a kid I was homophobic, I accept I was one of those cowards who made the life of the gay kids impossible, we took their lunch boixes, closed them in their lockers etc.

But when I was 12 or 13 I discovered gay people wasn't bad (Despite my dad's opinion), as a fact one of my closest friends from school was gay (He died in New York because of AIDS), and really felt ashamed of what we had done to this poor kids only because they didn't liked to play soccer.

But not even when I wasa child wasn't able to accept that art makes no distinctions between sexual preferences, some of the best artists were gay, probably they are more incontact that us normal strauight guys, because they are not ashamed to embrace art despite the prejudices that we feel against some forms of art.

Freddie Mercury was gay, but he probably was the most charismatic frontman ever and one of the most talented plus he had a wonderful voice.

As a fact:

Tommy Shaw is  married, he's closer to be a redneck than gay (He was born in Montgomery Alabama), the redneck ithing is a joke.

Dennis De Young is happily married with the same woman for whom he wrote the cheesie song Babe almost 30 years ago.

JY: Well, he's a lunatic but not gay either

John Panoozzo was not gay, sadly he died before STYX released Return o Paradise

Chuck Panozzo is gay, he's bravely fighting against AIDS and he deserves a lot of respect because he was brave enough to accept his sexual preference when he was already famous and when being gay was harder than today.

Just to end, Who told you that there's gay or straight music??????

Iván

-------------

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: December 02 2005 at 13:07

Ahh,Afghan humour ??

Mua hahaha.

Now I get it.That was hilarious.

I'm pissing myself here,somebody stop me.

Date Posted: December 02 2005 at 18:12

Will you lot pick up the dummy you spat out....what a bunch of weans..........Styx ain't prog.

If it is a f*****g joke, don't add a reply, but yes i forget North American bands on here are exempt from criticism, at least that is what it seems like, so go on pick up your dummies and get on with it. Other people in the world are allowed an opinion.

Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 14:50

Will you lot pick up the dummy you spat out....what a bunch of weans..........Styx ain't prog.

If it is a f*****g joke, don't add a reply, but yes i forget North American bands on here are exempt from criticism, at least that is what it seems like, so go on pick up your dummies and get on with it. Other people in the world are allowed an opinion.

As they said,it's prog related.

Why don't you enlighten us with which Styx albums  you have actually heard.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 15:02

Prog Related

Prog Related definition
Rock and Pop Bands and Artists after 1970 who were not truly “prog” (as that term is generally and broadly defined, even by the site), but who were clearly not “mainstream” or simply “rock” bands.

A wide subgenre that encompasses two kinds of bands/artist, that either consist of progressive artist that strayed away from their progressive roots into mainstream rock or were influenced by progressive rock.

Even though the music by these artists is sometimes unrelated it had things in common with prog music in that it was very structured and even adventurous, sometimes hard or heavy, sometimes mellow, strong melodies, good hooks are an integral part of most of the material. Sometimes these artists pioneered other rock genres.

Though most of these artist can't really be considered progressive themselves, their relation to progressive music is not to be underestimated.

Maybe some of the problems that some people have with the 'prog-related' subgenre is that it is applied capriciously.  I mean come on (feels a rant coming on)... ELO... for some a pure prog band, for some not pure prog.  Yet not being even considered Prog-related.  HAH!!!!

(sorry for getting off-topic there )

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: ANDREW
Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 15:04

Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Here we go again...I don't see why people quibble why Styx are prog, at least not with albums like 'Equinox' and 'The Grand Illusion', which are full of great Yes/ELP-esque tracks. Certainly, their best known songs don't approach prog, but for their first 5 or so years, they were at least as prog as Kansas were. I also have problems with them being under 'prog related', where I think they could be easily in the 'art rock' category with their UK contemporaries like Argent and Uriah Heep...

I AGREE COMPLETELY!!!!!

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 15:09

This is a personal oppinion, but I certainly think that parts of Equinox, Crystal Ball & Grand Illusion have proggish elements to them, and deserve to be in an 'Art Rock' section, along with bands like Saga and the more recent ACT, which people rightly rave about....

...I've always enjoyed stuff like 'Suite Madame Blue', 'Man In The Wilderness' and 'Castle Walls'...if you've never heard these tracks, then do yourself a favour and try them out and make your own judgement whether they have a place in the archives, before ridiculing the band out of hand...

there...that's got that off my chest...

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: horza
Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 15:12

where in scotland are you from ? calm down

-------------
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Posted By: horza
Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 15:13

Styx prog related 

They are pompous and pop related like ELO and Saga

Bljak

Saga aren't pop have you HEARD any Saga ?

-------------
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 15:14
Originally posted by horza horza wrote:

where in scotland are you from ? calm down

hahahah, don't calm down, I'm enjoying it.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 18:14

Boy, some people here seem so intent on having ownership of the label 'prog,' it is starting to not even be funny! You would think we were insulting their mothers! It's sort of funny these threads/arguments start in the first place.

The gay remark was just plain stupid, but probably not meant in the way you think. Lately, it has begun to be a term that just implies something is lame, with no connection at all to gays or the gay lifestyle.

North American bands are not above reproach at all...but it sure seem sometimes that European bands are. I love Yes, but they have recorded some dumb stuff at times. Same with ELP, possibly to a higher degree on the dumb side.

Boy, these threads inspire some heated discussion!

-------------

Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 18:48

Quote The gay remark was just plain stupid, but probably not meant in the way you think. Lately, it has begun to be a term that just implies something is lame, with no connection at all to gays or the gay lifestyle.

I agree with you Ken.. but I believe any form of discrimination is wrong, despite the intention of the person, first we start doing gay remaks, then religious, sexist and racial. I love Prog Archives because is probably the place where you can find more respect among members and I would like to keep it like this.

If I'm wrong about any discriminatory statement I'm sorry, but I rather  be too carefull than too permissive, because a storm starts with a breeze.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 18:52

It is fair to say when UK prog bands go bad, they do it in pretty bloody awful stuff. ELP, Yes and others have had some major turkeys, and i'm first to admit it. But what i can't take is the way that european bands get slated, and generally fo rgood reason, it i staken (usually) in the spirirt it is meant to be. However, dare to criticise some North American guff, and you'd think you had just shot their grannies. Some then state that i am anti american and crap like that, i'm not, i'm only daring to criticise music that i feel should be nowhere near these archives, that's all.

But Styx.........................

Posted By: JayDee
Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 18:54
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Quote The gay remark was just plain stupid, but probably not meant in the way you think. Lately, it has begun to be a term that just implies something is lame, with no connection at all to gays or the gay lifestyle.

I agree with you Ken.. but I believe any form of discrimination is wrong, despite the intention of the person, first we start doing gay remaks, then religious, sexist and racial. I love Prog Archives because is probably the place where you can find more respect among members and I would like to keep it like this.

If I'm wrong about any discriminatory statement I'm sorry, but I rather  be too carefull than too permissive, because a storm starts with a breeze.

Iván

i definitely agree with you ivan..

i love this site, together with its collaborators and admins

not all members though

whatever we do, post, or anything...

please show some kindness and mutual respect

we all deserve that

-------------

Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 23:48

It is fair to say when UK prog bands go bad, they do it in pretty bloody awful stuff. ELP, Yes and others have had some major turkeys, and i'm first to admit it. But what i can't take is the way that european bands get slated, and generally fo rgood reason, it i staken (usually) in the spirirt it is meant to be. However, dare to criticise some North American guff, and you'd think you had just shot their grannies. Some then state that i am anti american and crap like that, i'm not, i'm only daring to criticise music that i feel should be nowhere near these archives, that's all.

So which Styx cd's did you hear??? Or which ones didn't you hear.

If you don't mind me asking.

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: December 04 2005 at 00:30

I think Europe (and Britain in particular) gets more than its share of acknowledgement as the home of some of the world's finest progressive music, especially on this site.  If you take a look at the Top 100 list on the main page, based on member reviews, there are only two American bands in the top 50, and only seven in the top 100.  The two in the top 50 are Dream Theater and Tool, both of which get more than their fair share of "slating" in these forums.

You say that "some then state that I am anti American", and you're right.  I'm one of the ones who says that.  Perhaps, as you say, you're not, but if you take advantage of the Search function on this site and go find all your forum entries, you'll see that there are an inordinate number of derogatory references to America, and North America in general (sorry for my Canadian friends that you get guilted by geography with your southern neighbor).

Perhaps if the focus got back to music instead of nationality we could all have more objective and interesting discussions.  Frankly, I had to look up a number of those Top 100 bands to find out where they were from before writing this post, because I really didn't know.  I also don't care to know, or to have it be part of the criteria for deciding who's worth listening to, and who isn't.

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Date Posted: December 04 2005 at 09:21

Originally posted by kirklott kirklott wrote:

Well if Asia's on this site, then Styx should be too.

I think "prog-related" is a reasonable category. Of course, I'm talking about anything up to and including Pieces of Eight. It was all downhill power ballads from there on out.

This is pretty much how I feel about Styx.

Date Posted: December 04 2005 at 22:37
While I am waiting for Dream Orchestra to respond ,I listened to Styx 2 twice today.Surprise,,,there is a lot on there that could be prog 'related'.

Posted By: ldlanberg
Date Posted: December 05 2005 at 00:03

GEEEZ! HOW LONG is this thread gonna be up here in the actives? The colonists must have discussed this in their candle-lit taverns as well. Styx is an American-version of Progressive, ok?

Now let's move on with life.

-------------
LDL

Date Posted: December 05 2005 at 03:56

American prog. What is this

Let's Americans stick to jazz, jazz - rock, blues, rock, gospel, contry, pop but no prog please

Date Posted: December 05 2005 at 07:54
 the gay remark was used as a term, not as a sexual reference  I apoligize fi I affended anyone..

Date Posted: December 05 2005 at 09:35
Originally posted by ldlanberg ldlanberg wrote:

GEEEZ! HOW LONG is this thread gonna be up here in the actives? The colonists must have discussed this in their candle-lit taverns as well. Styx is an American-version of Progressive, ok?

Now let's move on with life.

See ya.

Date Posted: December 05 2005 at 20:19

I have to say the comment by Idlanberg syas it all.......American version of prog. What a joke. America has never been to the forefront of prog, and is way behind most countrys. This is because they percieve prog as anything that isn't Country, Soul....or anything deemed as commercial. But, most of the prog pput forward is very much commercial, and drags prog into the gutters. Styx are rot, pop nonsense that should not be on this site, but it is...SHAME.

Apperently criticising anything American makes you anti-american...grow up and get lost. America is not the best country  for prog rock and never will be.....long live Europa.

Date Posted: December 05 2005 at 20:26

Boy...sometimes these threads become just silly. Most of the best prog bands come out of the UK, etc, I will grant you that. You can criticise american stuff, I won't take offense...unless you say something idiotic like what you just said (...never will be), or that 'we' deem anything not country, soul, etc as prog...what kind of doofus statement is that? What does nationality have to do with music? Soul was born in the US, but there have been many really good UK soul artists.

And although DeYoung comes close to Rot, I would say stating all of Styx' output is rot is another silly statement...opinion, sure, everyone is allowed their opinion. Too many put these opinions forward as fact, though.

And I don't even listen to Styx that much! In fact, the only thing I have is a mix tape of mostly non-DeYoung tunes.

-------------

Date Posted: December 05 2005 at 20:34
So how can you comment....another dumb statement.

Date Posted: December 05 2005 at 22:30

Originally posted by kenmeyerjr kenmeyerjr wrote:

unless you say something idiotic like what you just said (...never will be), or that 'we' deem anything not country, soul, etc as prog...what kind of doofus statement is that?

It's a doofus statement made by a doofus and posted in a thread that can only be described the same way.  This dream orchestra fellow can have is opinion if he wants to, but he presents it in a way that makes him out to be a huge DOOFUS.

Damn, what a goddam doofus!!! 

And Styx is still prog by the way... 

Date Posted: December 05 2005 at 22:33

Let's Americans stick to jazz, jazz - rock, blues, rock, gospel, contry, pop but no prog please

In first place talk about USA, because America is a continent (If you want the Americas).

I'm not from USA, my mother is 50% Italian and 50% Scottish, so it would be more reasonable that I would agree with your statement, but I believe nobody should generalize, what about:

1. Glass Hammer
  2. The Red Masque
  3. Pavlov's Dog
  4. Kansas
  5. California Guitar Trio (Not Prog but prog related)
  6. Santana (At least Psychedelia)
  7. Tony Levin
  8. Frank Zappa
  9. Primus
  10. Proto Kaw
  11. Billy Cobham
  12. St. Elmo's Fire (Spitting Ions in the Ether is a maserpiece)
  13. Steve Roach
  14. U-Totem
  15. Dream Theater

I could follow, but it's enough to make a point.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: December 06 2005 at 04:44

In first place talk about USA, because America is a continent (If you want the Americas).

I'm not from USA, my mother is 50% Italian and 50% Scottish, so it would be more reasonable that I would agree with your statement, but I believe nobody should generalize, what about:

1. Glass Hammer
  2. The Red Masque
  3. Pavlov's Dog
  4. Kansas
  7. Tony Levin
  8. Frank Zappa
  9. Primus
  10. Proto Kaw
  11. Billy Cobham
  13. Steve Roach
  14. U-Totem
  15. Dream Theater

Iván

I like Santana very much (early period esspecialy Caravanserai with jazz influences). He was never psyhodelic. Santana is not classical prog.

Billy Cobham plays exellent jazz/rock which I said is great in American music.

I like Zappa also, but he is more related to jazz, rock an avantgarde than classical prog.

Pavlov's dog is only band you mentioned here that can be related to classical prog

Posted By: Herman H.
Date Posted: December 06 2005 at 05:32

... that there rae probably only about 30 bands in the whole music universe that need to be added in here ...

If it were only that few number, this website wouldn't even exist.

Date Posted: December 06 2005 at 13:57
Well, Dream, I can comment because (and, my fault, I didn't mention this), I have heard all of Styx' albums up to, oh, Kilroy or so...but I still like the early stuff. I had and loved the first 5 or so, while in college long ago. Back then, I didn't think DeYoung was bad at all, but our tastes hopefully mature as we get older and we can see why things we still like (or don't) are not that great on second listen.

-------------

Date Posted: December 06 2005 at 15:59
Originally posted by Herman H. Herman H. wrote:

... that there rae probably only about 30 bands in the whole music universe that need to be added in here ...

If it were only that few number, this website wouldn't even exist.

It would be rather dead here,that's for sure.

Date Posted: December 06 2005 at 16:05

Well Dream_.

You still haven't told me which Styx albums you have actually heard.

Can only assume you have heard Cornerstone w/ Babe on to make that all around Styx sl*gging.

I can't find any American prog (so far) myself ,I like.

But of the prog related there are, I like early Styx and Kansas.

Date Posted: December 06 2005 at 16:14

1. Glass Hammer
  2. The Red Masque
  3. Pavlov's Dog
  4. Kansas
  7. Tony Levin
  8. Frank Zappa
  9. Primus
  10. Proto Kaw
  11. Billy Cobham
  13. Steve Roach
  14. U-Totem
  15. Dream Theater

Iván

I like Santana very much (early period esspecialy Caravanserai with jazz influences). He was never psyhodelic. Santana is not classical prog.

Billy Cobham plays exellent jazz/rock which I said is great in American music.

I like Zappa also, but he is more related to jazz, rock an avantgarde than classical prog.

Pavlov's dog is only band you mentioned here that can be related to classical prog

For God's sake Pero, I never said all this bands were classical Prog, but all are Prog:

1. The so called American Psychedelia was born in San Francisco and Carlos Santana is one of the pioneers of the movement, read   http://www.vintagerock.com/sanfran.html - http://www.vintagerock.com/sanfran.html  a link that explains the Psychedelic San Francisco scenario
  2. Billy Cobham not only plays Jazz, he plays Prog/Fusion, this is a sub-genre of Prog.
  3. Frank Zappa is not Classical Prog either, due to his beginnings I would place him in Proto Prog.
  4. Pavlov's Dog is a Classical USA Prog band, they started in the early 70's so it's impossible to consider Neo Prog as many people believe, because Neo Prog didn't developed until the very late 70's early 80's.

What about Tony Levin? He played with King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, ABWH, Yes (During the Union tour), etc.

What about Kansas? The most Symphonic and classical Prog band ever as well as Proto Kaw, their predecessor.

I don't care if this bands are classical Prog, Fusion, Art Rock or Avant Garde, the fact is that they are 100% Prog bands and all came from USA, so it's unaccurate to say Prog is only a Britoish or Europe thing.

Have you ever heard:

Pablo el Enterrador (Argentina): One of the best Prog bands in Latin America.

Sagrado Coracao Da Terra (Brazil): Great Symphonic band from Brazil

Los Jaivas: Incredible Ethnoic Prog band from Chile.

Traffic Sound (Perú): Probably the first¨Proto Prog Experiment in Latin America duiring the mid and late 60's.

Laghonia (Perú): One of the best Psychedelic/Prog bands from the sub-continent

Frágil (Perú): La Piece de Resistance, one of the best Symphonic bands ever, they never reached international fame because they had the bad luck of being born in the thoird world and insisted to make Prog in Spanish, look for them in this page.

Those who say Prog is a British or Europe thing are ignoring other continents where  wonderful Prog' has been created, you can also find amazing bands in Israel, Japan, Russia (Eurasia), Africa, Australia and almost everywhere.

Prog was born in UK, but Psychedelia is a USA thing and this is where Prog started.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: December 07 2005 at 02:18

I'm nopt so familiar with genres and subgenres, but I know very well the artists you are talking about. (I attended two Santana concerts 1974, 1993).

I like very much early Santana albums. My favorite albums from that are 1, 3, Caravanserai.

He plays jazz-mexican etno but there is no psyhodelia in his music.

Maybe Shaman is psyhodelia, but for me, because I will get mad listening to this crap.

The same with Billy Cobham which is not only best drummer, but also great composer.

But the music he plays is jazz fusion, not prog

Tony Levin is OK, also Adrian Belew too, but this is single case not rule.

Tony Levin went to Europe to play with Gabriel and KC.

When I'm talking about America, I meant USA. I'm not familiar with bands from Latin America.

We in Croatia have also prog bands, but those are in minority.

Date Posted: December 07 2005 at 17:53
A quick geography lesson.....There are is no continent called the Americas...but there are North and South America.

Date Posted: December 07 2005 at 17:55
Ah yes, the USA invented prog...and every thing else in this world.

Date Posted: December 07 2005 at 18:01

I've heard Styx from their first self titled album to Kilroy was here.......but binned them all, as they were rotten. Maybe one or 2 songs had prog leanings, but that doesn't make them prog.

And, prog related is a ridiculous genre, which only seems to allow bands or solo artists to be allowed on this very good, interesting and entertaining site, who are different to mainstream music and have no pigeon hole.

Date Posted: December 07 2005 at 18:34

It is quite acceptable to refer to the USA as "America", even though it is  a Continent also. After all, we all new to what Dream orchestra was referring when he said it. It is not ignorance or a slight against other Americans Nations. It is a widely used and accepted term.

-------------

Posted By: Rashikal
Date Posted: December 07 2005 at 18:49
well dream orchestra, congratulations on supporting the stereotype that people from Britain are pompous and arrogant, good job on that.

as for styx, i think they are a joke and a terrible band.

I am from the states and i love bands like spocks beard, tool, opeth, dream theater and fates warning.

i also love bands like carptree, rain, magic pie, radio clip 2,  porcupine tree and blackfield (which i agree that european prog is more sophisticated than american prog, but i dont see why youre so pissy about it)

- Rashikal

Date Posted: December 07 2005 at 20:13

Ah yes, the USA invented prog...and every thing else in this world.

Your attitude proves that you obviously have a grudge and nothing you say should ever be taken seriously.  Congratulations.

Date Posted: December 07 2005 at 20:25

I've heard Styx from their first self titled album to Kilroy was here.......but binned them all, as they were rotten. Maybe one or 2 songs had prog leanings, but that doesn't make them prog.

And, prog related is a ridiculous genre, which only seems to allow bands or solo artists to be allowed on this very good, interesting and entertaining site, who are different to mainstream music and have no pigeon hole.

Well,thanx for letting me know.Your opinion is yours,but you do come across as an angry young man.

Why is not clear,except if it is because non-pure prog bands are allowed  to be discussed around here.

If it was up to you,who would be allowed on here.I would really like to know.

To me this place is nice to be ,when you find something you have in common with fellow fans of a particular band.

You may also actually learn something new around here,or old.

Date Posted: December 07 2005 at 20:30

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks that only 30 bands belong in the archive is a fanatic.  We've all got to be a LITTLE crazy to like this music, but that's taking it much too far.

Date Posted: December 07 2005 at 20:59

Some people here love extreme siy¿tuations:

1. Some say only Great Britain and some Europe countries made good Prog
  2. Other's say there's Prog Rap or Hip Hop

Hey guys, there are middle points.

Dream Orchestra said:

Quote A quick geography lesson.....There are is no continent called the Americas...but there are North and South America.

Before you try to give me a lesson, read and discover that not only the theories that you studied in your country are valid, there are sixmodels of Continental divisions, and three of them consider America as one whole Continent because there's no natural division (Unless you believe that the Panama Channell divides America):

Because geography is defined by local convention, there are several conceptions as to which landmasses qualify as continents. There are names for six, but America is often divided, and Europe is often united with Asia. Ignoring cases where Antarctica is omitted, there are half a dozen lists.

Models
7 continents: Antarctica South America North America Europe Asia Africa Australia
6 continents: Antarctica
America
Europe Asia Africa Australia
6 continents: Antarctica South America North America
Eurasia
Africa Australia
5 continents: Antarctica
America
Eurasia
Africa Australia
5 continents: Antarctica South America
Laurasia
Africa Australia
4 continents: Antarctica
America
Africa-Eurasia
Australia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

From the six models of continents, at least 50% consider America as a whole Continent, but you'll probably consider that what we learn outside UK is rubbish.

Iván

PS: I was taught in school that there were 5 Continents (Europe, Asia, Africa, America and Australia (Oceanía in Spanish because Australia is a nation).

Now they teach there are 6 continents including Antartica.

Again, if you don't trust me or Wikipedia you can check the Georgetown information in http://www.georgetown.edu/pdba/english.html - http://www.georgetown.edu/pdba/english.html  Unless you don't truust the either because is located in USA.

Political Database of the Americas

Constitutions and Comparative Constitutional Analysis
http://www.georgetown.edu/pdba/Constitutions/constudies.html - Constitutions by country
http://www.georgetown.edu/pdba/Constitutions/constudies.html#compconst - Comparative Constitutional Analysis
http://www.georgetown.edu/pdba/Constitutions/constudies.html -
http://www.georgetown.edu/pdba/Constitutions/constudies.html#refmat - Reference Materials

-------------

Date Posted: December 07 2005 at 21:50
Keyword here: Americas.

Posted By: silversaw
Date Posted: February 11 2008 at 01:43
I see Styx as more art rock then anything else...but just for the brilliance of their "Equinox", "Crystal Ball", "Grand Illusion", "Pieces Of Eight" run, they deserve their place in history.  Prog purists are really scary man... when did music stop being about the music and become more about the genre or sub-genre the band is classified under??

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk