Forum Description: Help us improve the forums, and the site as a whole
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1509
Printed Date: April 18 2024 at 01:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Band Biographies
Posted By: Easy Livin
Subject: Band Biographies
Date Posted: August 31 2004 at 16:53

The challenge of creating biographies for every band listed in the archives must be daunting. I was quite surprised at some of the ones which have yet to be added (Tony Banks, Curved Air, and the ELP offshoot Three, to name but three). With a little effort, and some Googling, a lot of the information for most bands is available on the internet.

Perhaps we could share the task more.

Max, you recently provided a list of all the unreviewed albums. How about a similar list of the bands who’s biographies have yet to be written. A reminder of the way they should be presented and how to submit them, could also be provided.

I’m sure there are many among us who could help to fill in the gaps. Especially if the incentive of receiving a credit at the end of the biography is on offerWink!

Replies:
Posted By: Bryan
Date Posted: August 31 2004 at 17:20
I actually just submitted a biography for Comus last night, and after doing this I was left thinking about this very subject.  We should indeed get a list of artists who still need biographies.

Posted By: ProgLucky
Date Posted: August 31 2004 at 20:41

GREAT IDEA BY OUR COLLABORATORS...!

Welcome to ProgArchives's new BAND BIOGRAPHY section.

When the website was in its infancy, I decided to write about a few favourite bands of mine. However, the site and the number of bands grew to such proportions that I decided to add this new BAND BIOGRAPHY section.

Below is a list of over   250  bands/artists from our data base who are still without a biography. If you have any information about them and would like to write their bios (including the most obscure bands), we'll be happy to publish them with your name appearing below each one.

There is absolutely no pressure to produce whatsover: take it easy and take all the time you need.

Again we appreciate your cooperation.
Your time and effort will be much appreciated.
Cheers to everyone
… ProgLucky (founder of ProgArchives)

N.B.: Over   300  bands are still missing a biography.

We need to know the following information:

1- 1st paragraph: Short history, list of current and former members, style & similar bands

2- 2nd paragraph: Describe the better cds without mentioning their tracks.

3- End with mention (recommended, highly recommended or not) or brief commentary.

Special Notes: When using band names ... write them in UPPER CASE; album names should appear between quotation marks "..."  Ex: MARILLION "Brave".

EXAMPLE:

Go to Tony BANKS written by Lise (HIBOU), CANADA

IF APPLICABLE:

4- A band photo (if possible about 200 - 250 pixels wide)

NOT NECESSARY but useful:

5- A list of all releases (LP, CD, Compilations, Live) with year of release, track listing (track time), line-up and the cd/album label.

Send your information using the following form link.

mailto:[email protected] - - [email protected]

NEW ENTRIES:
- HAYWARD & LODGE (MOODY BLUES) written by Bob McBeath, SCOTLAND

- GALACTIC EXPLORERS, KALACAKRA, YATHA SYDRA, written by Philippe Blache

- CAPTAIN BEYOND, CROSS (David), I.E.M. written by Bryan Adair, CANADA
- 7FOR4, LIQUID SCARLET written by Martin Dietrich, GERMANY

- 3, 4FRONT, 4/3 de TRIO, 801, ABYDOS, ACUITY, AEOLUS, AGNUS DEI, AKTUALA, ALGEBRA, ALQUIN, AMAROK, ANACRUSIS, ANAMOR, ANKH, AQUAPLAN, APRYTL, ARCHIVE, ARTCANE, Ashtar, AUCAN, AVIATOR, AVIOLINEE UTOPIA, AYERS ROCK, AZAHAR, AZAZELLO, AZTEC JADE, Dave BAINBRIDGE, Ken BAIRD, BANANA, BANDA ELASTICA, BANZAI, BAUHAUS, Sergio BENCHIMOL, BIGELF, BIJOU, BILL BRUFORD'S EARTWORKS, BIRDSONGS OF THE MESOZOIC, BLACK BONZO, BLACK CAT BONES, BLAKULLA, BONDAGE FRUIT, BONFIRE & La BOTTEGA DELL'ARTE, BOX OF CRAYONS,  BRAINSTORM, BRASSÉ, BROSELMASCHINE, BULLFROG, BUON VECCHIO CHARLIE, BURNT NOODLE, CARNEGIE, CARPATHIA PROJECT, CARTOON, CASA DAS MAQUINAS, Alan CASE, CASSIBER, CAULDRON, CHROME SHIFT, CINDERELLA SEARCH, CIRCLE OF FAIRIES, CLARION, CLORKWORK, I COCAI, Steve Cochrane, CODA, CONCEPTION, CONTRAPPUNTO, COOPERATIVA DEL LATTE,  COS, CRIMSON GLORY, CRO-MAGNON, CROSS, CRYPTIC VISION, CUL DE SAC, CZARD SOUND, D'Arcana, Daemonia, Dali's Dilemma, Decadence, DGM, Discus, Dixie Dregs, Doracor, Dr. Coenobite, Dr. Z, Dreadnaught, DREAMSCAPE, E MOTIVE, ÉCLAT (de vers), EDGE, ÉDITION SPÉCIALE, EGDON HEATH, EGO ON THE ROCKS, EILIFF,  ELECTRUM, ELEGANT SIMPLICITY,  ELEPHANT & CASTELE, ELOHIM, Redjy ÉMOND, ENDLICH ALLEIN, ENEIDE, EPILOGUE, ERASMUS, ERE G, ÉTRON FOU LELOUBLAN, EURHYBIA, EYESTRINGS, FANCY FLUID, FAR CORNER, FAR OUT, FARPOINT, FIABA, FICCION, FINNFOREST, FIRE MERCHANTS, FLAME DREAM, FOLQUE, FOR ABSENT FRIENDS, Patrick FORGAS, FUGU, GALDRIEL, GALAXY, GALIE, Jacopo GALLI, GAZPACHO, The GENTLE SOUL, GIANT HOGWEED ORCHESTRA, The, GIGANTI, I, GLEEMEN, GRAAL, GRATTO, HADDA, HAGGARD, Bo HANSSON, HAPPY FAMILY, HARDSCORE, HEARTSCORE, HELDON, HENRY FOOL, HIDRIA SPACEFOLK, HOLY LAMB, HORIZONT, HORUS, HOST, HOURGLASS, HOUSE OF NOT, HOUSE OF USHER, HUGHSCORE, HYACINTUS, IBIO, III MILENIO, IMAGIN'ARIA, IMANISSIMO, INDACO, INDIGO, IT, IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY, ITHACA, ITZIAR, IZUKAITZ, J.E.T., JINETES NEGROS, KAAMOS, KASEKE, KBB, KEBNEKAISE, KESTREL, KHAN, KIGNSTON WALL, KINO, KLAN, KOEJNI HYAKKEI, KORAI OROM, KRÉ, La N.A.V.E", LEHMEJUM, LISKER, The LOAD, LONDON UNDERGROUND, LORD OF MUSHROOMS, LORIEN, LOTHLORIEN, LOTUS, LUCIFER WAS, LUCIFER'S FRIEND, MAAD, MAD TEA PARTY, MADISON DYKE, MAELSTROM, MAHOUJIN, MALDOROR, MALLEUS, MAR DE ROBLES, MARATHON, MARCO, MARSUPILAMI, MARTIGAN, MASQUE, Colin MASSON, The MATCH, MATRAZ, MCGILL MANRING STEVENS, MECKI MARK MEN, MEDEA, Phil MEISEL, MELLONTA TAUTA, MERCHANT'S VICE, MERCURY REV, MESS, METABOLISME, METAMORPHOSIS, MIDWINTER, MIKLAGARD, MILLENYA, Mario MILLO, MINDFLOWERS, MINOTAURUS. MIRAGE (Eng), MIRAGE (Fra), MISCELLNAE. MISSIA MERCURIA, MISSING LINK, MISTER KITE, MO.DO., MODRY EFEKT, MOIRA, MONOLITH, MONTEFELTRO, MOONDANCER, MOONLIGHT CIRCUS, The MOOR, MORPHEUS, The MORRIGAN, MORSOF, Mr. BROWN, Mr. SIRIUS, MUSHROOM, MUSIC EMPORIUM, MUSIQUE NOISE, MY SOLID GROUND, MYRBEIN, MYRIAD (USA), MYSTERKAH, MYSTERY, MYTHOLOGIC, NAKED ELF, NANGYALA, NANOOK OF THE NORTH, NAUTILUS (ger), NAZCA, NEKROPSI, NERONIA, NEUTRONS, NEW EDEN ORCHESTRA, NEW MACHINE, NEWS FROM BABEL, NIGHTWINDS, NIMAL, NOEKK, NOETRA, NOSTALGIA, NOTABENE, NOVA , OCTOBER PROJECT, OCTOPUS (En) / OCTOPUS (Ge) / RED SAND  written by Lise (HIBOU), CANADA

- CANTINA SOCIALE, CARNASCIALIA, Il BACIO DELLA MEDUSA, KROMLECK, Il MUCCHIO, NAVE, NIRGAL VALLIS, NODO GORDIANO, OCTOHPERA, POLLEN, PRAXIS, RICORDI D'INFANZIA, SENSITIVA IMMAGINE, STRANAFONIA, SUBMARINE SILENCE, WAPPA GAPPA written by Markus Mattsson, FINLAND

- PILGRYM written by Pilgrym, ENGLAND

- AKA MOON, AKSAK MABOUL, ALAMAAILMAN VASARAT, ASGARD (Fra), ATOMIC ROOSTER, CARGO, CARPE DIEM, CIRCUS, CORNUCOPIA, CULPEPER'S ORCHARD, DELIVERY, FAUST, FIELDS, FLAME DREAM, FLOCK (The) , FM, GAA, GILA, HAIKARA, Roger HODGSON, INDIAN SUMMER, JULVERNELAGGER BLUES MACHINE, LARD FREE, MORSE CODE, The OLD MAN & THE SEA, OUT OF FOCUS, PANGÉE, PAZOP, PRESENT, RAGNAROK, RAMASES, RARE BIRD, RAVANA, RAW MATERIAL, RIPAILLE, RUFUS ZUPHALL, RUPHUS, SECRET OYSTER, SLOCHE, SPIROGYRA, STILL LIFE, SWEET SMOKE, TABULA RASA, TAI PHONG, TASAVALLAN PRESIDENTTI, TEA AND SYMPHONY, THIRSTY MOON, TONTON MACOUTE, TRIODE, WARHORSE, Robert WYATT  written by Hugues Chantraine, BELGIUM 

- Jimi SLEVIN written by Jimi Slevin, IRELAND/GERMAY
- CHANETON written by Rodi, ARGENTINA

- EKSEPTION written by DZ, NETHERLAND

- Ahvak written by Uri Breitman, ISRAEL

- Curved Air written by Silvio Chiarioni, ITALY

- Mike Rutherford written by Geopainter, USA

- A Barca Do Sol, Albatros, Alpha Centaury, Aries written by Daniel Potter a.k.a "Retrovertigo"

- Jeff Wyane written by Frenchie, ENGLAND

BANDS WITHOUT DESCRIPTION : 05-11-2006

2Hot4U / Abedul  / Abrete Gandul / Adaro / Adventure / Agamemnon  / Alcatraz / Algaravia / Alter Echo / Amos Key / Apteka / Arpia / Asgaerd / Astralia / Asturcón / Audio / Automata / Autumn Breeze / Avtograf (Autograf/Autograph) / Baalbek / Bachdenkel / Bandvivil / Bel Air / Blue Shift  Brimstone / Byzantium / Cal / Cardeilhac / Cea Serin / Centipede / Chameleon / Changes / Connivence / Contraction / Conventum / Cotó En Pčl / Country Lane / Cousins & Conrad / Credo / Crooked Mouth / Cruz De Hierro / Cucumber Farmer / Day Shift / Delta Cyphei Project / Dies Irae / Dimension X / Distant Dream / Dream Aria / Dreamworld / Drosselbart / Earthstone / Echosilence / Eclipse / Eden / Edera / Eik / El Diablo / Eloiteron / Emerald / Empire / Enbor / Esagono / Eskape / Esquire / Esthetic Pale / Estructura / Eternidad / Eulenspygel / Evolution / Ex Cathedra / Faun / Faun Fables / Fermata / FFWD / Fireclan / First Aid / Flamengo / Flaming Bess / Fleur De Lis / Flibbertigibbet / Flight 09 / For Your Pleasure / Force Majeure / Forgas Band Phenomena / Four Levels Of Existence / Fragile / Framework / French, Sally / Gargamel / Ghost, The / Gigi Pascal E La Pop Compagnia Meccanica / Golden Avatar / Good Authority / Gringo / Grits / Groovector / Gunesh Ensemble / Gurnemanz / Hamster Theatre / Harlequin Mass / Harnakis / Hellebore / Helreidh / Here & Now / Holdahl, Lyle / Holding Pattern / Honeyelk / Horizon's End / Horizont (Swe) / Hydrotoxin / Icarus / Instant Flight / Ion Quest / Iskander / Jarka / Jesdat / Jonathan / Kada / Kaleidoscope / Kampai / Kampman, Eric / Karuna Khyal / Kedama / Kinzokuebisu / Klockwerk Orange / Kollektiv / Kont Ra Burger / Krabat / Kreuzweg / Kroko / Kujakuon / La Famiglia Degli Ortega / Lady Lake / Leviathan (USA 70s) / Life / Life (GER) / Lightshine / Limbus 3 & 4 / Litmus / Loudest Whisper / Malomenos / Man Doki / Mĺns Mossa / Másfél / Mathematicians / Mediabanda / Milkweed / MK II / Moby Trip / Moon Fog Prophet / Narrow Pass / Nautilus (Swi) / Nebulosa / Nimbus (Fin) / Olive Mess / Oliver / Om Art Formation / Opus Est / Orange Peel / Orient Squeezers / Orion / Orphan Project / Orpheo / Oryzhein / Os Mundi / Othello Syndrome , The Overdrive / Panta Rei / Panta Rhei (Ger) / Pantheon / Pantommind / Paradiso A Basso Prezzo / Paragone / PaRaLLaXe / Parallel Mind / Paranoise / Parlour Band, The / Paternoster / Payne's Gray / Pazzo Fanfano Di Musica / Pell Mell / Pentacle / Periferia Del Mondo / Perkele / Pesniary / Phaesis / Phideaux / Philharmonie / Phreeworld / Phylter / Pi2 / Pictures / Pink Mice, The  / Planeta Imaginario / Platitude / Popol Vuh / Popol Ace / Poseido / Potemkine / Poverty's No Crime / Presence / Product / Project Creation / Providence / Providence (ENG) / Prowlers / Pseu / PSI / Ptarmigan / PTS / Pye Fyte / Pythagoras / Qango / Quadra / Quantum / Quantum Jump / Quasimodo / Quiet Room, The / Quiet World / Qwaarn / Rachel's Birthday / Radiomöbel / Radius / Rĺg i Ryggen / Rahmann / Rain / Rain For A Day / Rainbow Theatre / Rainy Season / Rak / Raminghi, I / Ramlösa Kvällar / Real Ax Band, The / Revelation / Rhapsody / Ricochet / Riff Raff / Ring Of Myth / Ritmia / Rockenfield / Speer / Roots Of Echo, The / Rose / Rossa, La / Ruja / Runner / Sacka / Saens / Saga De Ragnar Lodbrock / Sakre / Salamander / Sammelsurium / ScapeLand Wish / Scarlet Thread / Schizophonia / Scope / Seconda Genesi, La / Sensations' Fix / Seventh Sons / Sfinx / Sh'mantra / Shaa Khan / Siddhartha / Silent Exile / Six North (6-North) / Sky / Slogans / Solution / Soma / Sombre Reptile / Sonic Debris / Sonus Umbra / Sophistree / Spheroe / Spiral Realms / Stern - Combo Meissen / Strange Days / Stromboli / Sula Bassana / Sunforest / Supper's Ready / Surprise / Svanfridur / Svann / Syn, The / Syndone / Synopsis / T / T-Tauri  / TagYerit / Talamasca / Tale / Tanned Leather / Taproban / Tarkus / Tesseract / Tetragon / Theatre / Third Quadrant / Thirteen Of Everything / Thřnk / Thork / Thorne, Steve / Thrice Mice / Tideline / Time And Tide / Tired Tree / Tirelli, Armando / Titus Groan / To Be / Tomorrow's Gift / Tower / Trader Horne / Traumhaus / Trem Do Futuro / Triade / Triangle / Triangulus / Tribute / Trivial Act / Troya / Tsunami / Tunefish / Tunnels / Tween Deck 2 / Twilight / Two Siberians / U I Blue / U Totem / Überfall / Udraya / Ulenspiegel / Ulysses / Under The Big Tree / Under The Sun / Unicorn / Unisphere / Universal Totem Orchestra / Uppsala / Upright / Urbane, The Vedda Tribe / Vega / Venus Tebla / Verdaguer / Verdun / Versailles / Vinegar / Violent Silence / Violet Hour, The / Virtual Max / Visual Cliff / Vita Nova / Volaré / Von Zamla / Vow, The / Wakeman, Oliver / Walrus / Waniyetula / Warm Dust/ Wasa Express / Watertouch / Waybright, Leah / Welcome / White / Winds / X Religion / Xenn / Yavanna / Ywis / Zarg / Zen Rock And Roll / Zenobia / Ziff / Zyclope / Zyma / Ţursaflokkurinn

Date Posted: August 31 2004 at 21:51

Thanks!

I'll do Captain Beyond, and possibly Robert Wyatt if no one else does.

Posted By: goose
Date Posted: September 01 2004 at 09:02
Apparently Robert Wyatt lives vaguely near me now.

Posted By: Dan Bobrowski
Date Posted: September 01 2004 at 10:47
Vaguely? Is he a ghost...?

Posted By: goose
Date Posted: September 01 2004 at 13:29
I meant "vaguely near", not "lives vaguely", lol

Date Posted: September 03 2004 at 19:57
Ok, I've done Captain Beyond.  I've decided not to do Robert Wyatt though, mainly because I'm too lazy.

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: September 13 2004 at 10:32
May I suggest that the biographies we generated  here,  lists any good books published on the musicians(s),  e.g. Syd Barrett - Lost In the Woods, Robert Wyatt - Wrong Movements?

Date Posted: September 21 2004 at 20:05

Hmm, this makes me wonder...

What exactly do the band bio editors do?  We have this massive list of bands needing biograhpies, yet they seem to be doing nothing to fix it...

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: September 22 2004 at 00:23
Originally posted by Useful_Idiot Useful_Idiot wrote:

Hmm, this makes me wonder...

What exactly do the band bio editors do?  We have this massive list of bands needing biograhpies, yet they seem to be doing nothing to fix it...

Ermm Well, recall that they're (unpaid) volunteers, with other interests/demands on their time. Difficult to "lay off" (or demand more work from) a volunteer....Wink 

(Also, I imagine that people tend to write bios of bands they are more familiar with/fond of. Understandable.) 

Now if these people received a salary for their work, and didn't produce, you would have a very legitimate beef indeed, Useful!Smile

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: September 23 2004 at 13:29
Originally posted by Peter Rideout Peter Rideout wrote:

[QUOTE=Useful_Idiot] 

Ermm Well, recall that they're (unpaid) volunteers, with other interests/demands on their time. Difficult to "lay off" (or demand more work from) a volunteer....Wink 

(Also, I imagine that people tend to write bios of bands they are more familiar with/fond of. Understandable.) 

Now if these people received a salary for their work, and didn't produce, you would have a very legitimate beef indeed, Useful!Smile

Excellent point wrt voluntary service - which creates a dilemma if both contents of a biography  etc.are inaccurate or incomplete, whose to tell the writer that they are in error?

By providing such info to the world, we should be accurate. A solution is set by a precedent several of the academics writing here know - if you write a paper (normally voluntary) for a reputable journal, then the journal's editor will inevitably get it refereed by two or more 'experts' in the field.

Therefore (and here's an idea to bounce around) should Max and Maani as "editors", appoint a number of experts (but clearly again on a voluntary basis), who monitor and feedback specially on the biographic materials? But no way have any formal say on the contents of correspondence or album reviews. BTW I'll volunteer as long as I can cover bands I know or can readily research (downside: clearly with other volunteers doing similar,  certain artists/musicians won't get checked out.

Date Posted: September 23 2004 at 23:45

I'm not saying I expect them to work their butts off or anything, I was just wondering if they actually do anything.  Because if they don't, what's the point of having them in the first place?

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: November 24 2004 at 07:42
Is Captain Beefheart going to be added? I'd love to write his bio!

Posted By: aqualung28
Date Posted: December 03 2004 at 21:58

Joren is right. Captain Beefheart should be added

Posted By: Wizard/TRueStar
Date Posted: December 04 2004 at 13:24
I claim Utopia

Date Posted: December 05 2004 at 03:04
 Not to be pushy but Beefheart was added so we need a bio.

-------------
"O' lady look up in time o' lady look out of love
'n you should have us all
O' you should have us fall"
"Bill's Corpse" By Captain Beefheart

Date Posted: December 31 2004 at 08:05

Originally posted by aqualung28 aqualung28 wrote:

Not to be pushy but Beefheart was added so we need a bio.

I'm working on that. I hope next week I'll be finished! (very busy at the moment)

Date Posted: December 31 2004 at 13:00
awesome, thanks!

-------------
"O' lady look up in time o' lady look out of love
'n you should have us all
O' you should have us fall"
"Bill's Corpse" By Captain Beefheart

Posted By: Fishette
Date Posted: April 30 2005 at 05:46
I submitted a band bio ca. a fortnight ago, just so out of interest, how long does it take in average until a new entry is added?

Posted By: Vonarga
Date Posted: May 21 2005 at 13:09

THE GATHERING were recently added and still require a biography.

I personally love the band and would love to write one, but for the fact I usually paint them in too bright colours...

Anybody familiar with the band and willing to write a biography ?

-------------
'Anyways, since my "Death Star" laser was invented by the noted Cambridge physicist, Dr.Parsons, I thought we'd name it in his honor - "The Alan Parsons Project"...'

Posted By: abyssyinfinity
Date Posted: June 10 2005 at 13:42
A few days ago I made updates and corrections on release year of Circus 2000 first album, please update informations!

Posted By: M@X
Date Posted: June 12 2005 at 09:14

Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Therefore (and here's an idea to bounce around) should Max and Maani as "editors", appoint a number of experts (but clearly again on a voluntary basis), who monitor and feedback specially on the biographic materials? But no way have any formal say on the contents of correspondence or album reviews. BTW I'll volunteer as long as I can cover bands I know or can readily research (downside: clearly with other volunteers doing similar,  certain artists/musicians won't get checked out.

Lise (Hibou) is already doing this job for progarchives.com

Any suggestion regarding Bios ?

Thanks

-------------
Prog On !

Posted By: bamba
Date Posted: June 23 2005 at 18:23

hey thanks to put FLÜGTH ON the WEB

is diffuclt to find information about flügth and its almost impossible find a picture of the band.

sorry.

-------------
Learning Flute [Amigo de Manticore y Memowakeman] (primo)[IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2187/2437702285_fbb450500d_o.jpg

Date Posted: July 01 2005 at 18:55
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Apparently Robert Wyatt lives vaguely near me now.

Louth Lincolnshire according to the BBC4 documentary.

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: July 01 2005 at 19:39
I'd love to edit out the mistakes I find in the Bios but I havent got the authority....

Posted By: Retrovertigo
Date Posted: July 02 2005 at 02:19

I have sent in a bio for A Barca Do Sol, Albatros, Alpha Centauri and Aries.

Edit:  Concerning Abarax, Proglucky should provide a bio, no?

Edit:  Concerning Agora, you have a Mexican Agora, and an Italian Agora, but they are the same band.  It should be listed as one Agora, the Mexican prog-metal band.  And I don't think this is just a mixup considering Live in Montruex I know for sure is a record by the Mexican prog-metal Agora, but it's under the Italian Agora?  What's that all about?

Posted By: geezer
Date Posted: July 02 2005 at 15:07
Originally posted by Retrovertigo Retrovertigo wrote:

Edit:  Concerning Agora, you have a Mexican Agora, and an Italian Agora, but they are the same band.  It should be listed as one Agora, the Mexican prog-metal band.  And I don't think this is just a mixup considering Live in Montruex I know for sure is a record by the Mexican prog-metal Agora, but it's under the Italian Agora?  What's that all about?

What an earth are you talking about here?

How can these two be the same band?

I know for sure that Live in Montreaux is by the Italian Agora and released in the seventies. And that's a fact.

Date Posted: July 02 2005 at 17:43

Tony , just send any corrections to Max/Rony using the "Prog archives" tab and they'll update the bios.

Looks like you're upsetting your image hosting service by the way. Your posts are too popular!LOL 

Quote -

I'd love to edit out the mistakes I find in the Bios but I havent got the authority....

Posted By: Littlewashu5
Date Posted: August 20 2005 at 20:04

I accidently mispelled the name of the band I was submitting. It should be The Secret MACHINES. Plural not singular. Here's the link to the Bio I created

http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=1935 - http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAN D.asp?band_id=1935

Posted By: Kohllapse
Date Posted: September 12 2005 at 02:04

minor problem with the arcturus bio ,Kristoffer Rygg is reffered to as "Grem" it should be "Garm"

-------------

Date Posted: September 12 2005 at 10:59
Originally posted by Kohllapse Kohllapse wrote:

minor problem with the arcturus bio ,Kristoffer Rygg is reffered to as "Grem" it should be "Garm"

You are right. I have corrected it. Thanks!

Posted By: edueddie
Date Posted: September 19 2005 at 15:50
hum

-------------
Edu

Date Posted: September 19 2005 at 16:59

Originally posted by edueddie edueddie wrote:

hum

Thank you for contributing!

Date Posted: September 24 2005 at 17:23
So is it okay to just copy the biography from another site (say... the band's official one) and then list it as the source at the end of said biography?

Posted By: lizard
Date Posted: October 25 2005 at 21:38
nice

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: November 02 2005 at 03:14

So is it okay to just copy the biography from another site (say... the band's official one) and then list it as the source at the end of said biography?

This might require the expressed written consent..... It might be easier to paraphrase a text than avoid all possibilities of author's rights and eventual royalties.

although I could not even begin to picture a band suing another site for including a text from their site as a promotion tool on another site.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: November 02 2005 at 04:00
I agree Hugues. After all, facts are facts.

Posted By: Charles
Date Posted: November 10 2005 at 11:03

Hey What about Family?

Charles

-------------
G'day

Posted By: bluetailfly
Date Posted: November 10 2005 at 12:45
Why is this a Sticky Topic? What the heck is a sticky topic? The word sticky is not a very descriptive term when applied to an email thread.

-------------
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."

Posted By: Trickster F.
Date Posted: April 30 2006 at 16:50
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

This might require the expressed written consent..... It might be easier to paraphrase a text than avoid all possibilities of author's rights and eventual royalties.

although I could not even begin to picture a band suing another site for including a text from their site as a promotion tool on another site.

Unless somebody adds Metallica to the site. Wink LOL

-- Ivan

Posted By: avestin
Date Posted: June 28 2006 at 00:47
Uploaded Australian's bio of Spanish band - Jesdat.

Thanks, Austrlian.

-------------
http://hangingsounds.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Hanging Sounds

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Date Posted: July 12 2006 at 12:25
I uploaded Chamberry biography and picture of the band Vinegar:
http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=2308 - http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_BAND.asp?band_id=2308

-------------

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Date Posted: November 02 2006 at 12:31
Just to let everyone know that the Symphonic team is going all over it's bands and adding bio's where there are none and adding to incomplete bio's.
They have so far done many bio's (don't remember how much) and are now towards the end of the ABC.

The Zeuhl/Avant/RIO Team (ZART for short) is doing the same and we have an easier job since we have much less bands. We added 5-6 bio's and will don the rest in the coming while (personal obligations are holding us back a bit).

Any member wishing to write a bio, correct or improve an existing one which is not complete or informative enough (a few lines), may PM a member of the team assigned to the genre to which the band belongs to, or can post it here.

-------------

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: January 27 2007 at 11:20
Noticed Steve Thorne hasn't got a biography yet.

I wrote a little something, needs improvements i think, but just for starters.

Prolific multi-instrumentalist Steve Thorne started his solo carreer after playing in the little known bands Colony Earth and the Salamander Poject, which supported Jadis on their European tour. The tour was well received, and Steve got signed to GEP, the IQ record compagny, which gave him a head start when he recorded his solo debut album. His connections with Jadis and IQ resulted in notable guest appearances of many well known progressive rock musicians, like John Jowitt (IQ-Arena), Gary Chandler (Jadis), Tony Levin (King Crimson, Peter Gabriel, etc.), Geoff Downes (Asia, Yes), Paul Cook (IQ) and many more. Which resulted in a very eclectic style, ranging from Folk to pop, with symphonic influences, often in the Jadis/IQ style. The main style of his music can be described as singer/songwriter, best comparable with the likes of Guy Manning.

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: January 27 2007 at 11:40
I have e-mailed Chilean band Astralis to send me their biography because it's not on Internet. I hope to add Astralis soon to Prog Archives.

Posted By: LinusW
Date Posted: April 15 2008 at 13:04
Eh, I know it's an old thread, but how many of the bands listed (including new bands) still lack a description?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/LinusW88" rel="nofollow - Blargh

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 16 2008 at 08:30
I just filled in Contraction and will work on Ptarmigan fornext week.  Centipede and Riff Raff coming up

A few weeks back, I filled in a few of these band/artistes bio (from the letter S to Z), but I forgot to signal them to whomever is worrying about this (I think it's EL)

that list is:
popol vuh/ace
Warm dust
Universal totem Orch
Trader Horne
Titus Goran
Saga Ragnar Lodbrock
Quantum Jump

had been done before: Rainbow theatre, Connivence & Conventum.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: TheRocinanteKid
Date Posted: May 08 2008 at 13:55
Hi I'm not hugely into the band RPWL but I just read their biography page on here and to put it bluntly its rather terrible. I tried to find a button to edit it or something, in the same way you can album information but I couldn't find a button. Is it possible for me to improve the biography? If so I'd be up to the task.

Posted By: T.Rox
Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 20:23
Originally posted by TheRocinanteKid TheRocinanteKid wrote:

Hi I'm not hugely into the band RPWL but I just read their biography page on here and to put it bluntly its rather terrible. I tried to find a button to edit it or something, in the same way you can album information but I couldn't find a button. Is it possible for me to improve the biography? If so I'd be up to the task.

I suggest you propose your updated bio by creating a new thread in the Errors & Ommision arena ( http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=60 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=60  ) and the E&O team can liase with the specialist team to get approval for any changes.

Cheers,

Coops Thumbs%20Up

-------------
"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted By: The Quiet One
Date Posted: May 09 2008 at 20:34
Well this is for the Jazz Rock team:

Alejandro Herrera plays the electric bass since he was 12 years old.
From 1986 he has been leading his own groups where he develops his career as a composer and arranger (he has 3 CDs) and his present group is one of the most outstanding ones of jazz scene in Buenos Aires - Argentina.
On the other hand due to his versatility with the instrument, he is required by musicians of different styles to do recordings, and is also called to play with foreign musicians that tour around South America. Lately he has been part of several local groups like: "Ricardo Nole Trio", "Clase Unica" trio, Gustavo Bergalli quintet, "Robert Petinatto & Now", Alejandro Santos group, among others.

Posted By: TheRocinanteKid
Date Posted: May 10 2008 at 06:43
Originally posted by T.Rox T.Rox wrote:

Originally posted by TheRocinanteKid TheRocinanteKid wrote:

I suggest you propose your updated bio by creating a new thread in the Errors & Ommision arena ( http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=60 - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=60  ) and the E&O team can liase with the specialist team to get approval for any changes.

Cheers,

Coops Thumbs%20Up

Thanks will get to work on this soon. Wink

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: February 02 2009 at 18:04
Catharsis done, as quoted from Malesch records site (citation provided) - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2626.
No pics found though. And no credit taken . too humble to claim work involved in copy & paste Tongue

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: February 02 2009 at 18:56
I have recently added Svanfridur's bio, and now there is only one missing bio in Heavy Prog - Valinor's Tree, which will be taken care of by Jared.

Date Posted: February 02 2009 at 20:33
Agamemnon - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2410

( as quoted from http://www.cdandlp.com/item/2/0-1112-0-1-0/113762207/agamemnon-part-i-ii.html)

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: February 05 2009 at 10:32
I found some informations about the French R.I.O. band Virgule IV, but I don't know how to add these informations to their pages.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: February 05 2009 at 10:35
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

I found some informations about the French R.I.O. band Virgule IV, but I don't know how to add these informations to their pages.

I can add the information and credit you with the additional information.  Send me a PM with the info.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: February 05 2009 at 10:37
Also, we need a biography of the zeuhl group Pseu, if anyone's interested.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: February 05 2009 at 11:03
Forgive me because I know it is here somewhere, but after almost five years on this forum I still find the ' Search' function on this site very non ' user friendly'. Maybe it will take me another five years to figure outConfused

That aside, is there an updated list of band's requiring bio's, and what would be even better.....split by genre?

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: February 05 2009 at 11:33
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Also, we need a biography of the zeuhl group Pseu, if anyone's interested.

I can take it. I also started to write the bio for Virgule IV.

Date Posted: February 05 2009 at 12:44
Surprise ... Golden Earring are added ! I believe I'm the one chosen to write up the bio, but I was told the admission would not be so quick.
I will try to get it done this evening, by tomorrow at the latest

-------------

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: February 05 2009 at 18:42
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

Surprise ... Golden Earring are added ! I believe I'm the one chosen to write up the bio, but I was told the admission would not be so quick.
I will try to get it done this evening, by tomorrow at the latest

Thanks Claude! Yes things can happen at a rapid rate once approvedWink Looking forward to reading it.

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Date Posted: February 07 2009 at 16:35
I wrote a bio for Zheul band Pseu.

< ="-" ="text/; =utf-8">< name="GENERATOR" ="Office.org 1.9.123 Win32">< name="CREATED" ="20090123;9142700">< name="CHANGED" ="20090205;20130400">

PSEU : biography.

This quite obscure French band, created in 1979 in Bordeaux (France) by singer Christian Coutzac, had remained a 'cult band' for two decennies until Musea released the self-titled CD 'Pseu' in 2004.

Pseu was part of a small Zheul movement in Bordeaux, with Uppsala, Xalph and Sombre Reptile. Led by said singer Coutzac, Pseu made itself different from the other Zheul bands thanks to its humor and its 'positive' style. Yet, their music was solid and the influences ranged from Weidorje to contemporary jazz, including Univers Zero, Present and, of course, Magma.

Existing from 1979 to 1983, Pseu recorded the material of its CD between 1981 and 1982. The line-up had included Christian Coutzac (vocals), Philippe Dulong (guitars), Thierry Jardinier, Pierre Delair (both keyboards players), Erik Baron and Philippe Canellas (bass) and drummer Christophe Godet.

As the band never found any label to release their music, it disbanded quickly. Christophe Godet joined Minimum Vital, a band whom with the former members of Pseu share some of their musical activities nowadays. Bassist Erik Baron had recorded two solo albums, including a version of 'De Futura' (Musea, 2007). Christian Coutzac is still active in the associative milieu and is the guest vocalist of Minimum Vital on their track for the tribute album to Magma, 'Hur' (2009)

Line-up:

Christian Coutzac (vocals); Philippe Dulong (guitars); Thierry Jardinier (keyboards); Pierre Delair (keyboards); Erik Baron (bass); Philippe Canellas (bass); Christophe Godet (drums).

Discography:

'Pseu' (CD – Musea, 2004)

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: February 08 2009 at 14:34
Biog, Pic and video links added for The Parlour Band http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2340 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2340

Biogs required for the following Prog Related bands/artists:
Band Country Bio Pic Reviews Albums
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2754 - BOFFO, JEAN-PASCAL France n y y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2084 - FLIGHT 09 Uzbekistan y y y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2020 - HORIZONT (SWE) Sweden y y n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2377 - KAMPMAN, ERIC United States n y n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2310 - KREUZWEG Germany n n n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2293 - MĹNS MOSSA Sweden n n n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2307 - OM ART FORMATION Bulgaria n n n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2193 - PERKELE Finland n n n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1137 - SURPRISE United States n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=990 - SYNOPSIS Estonia n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2276 - TIRED TREE Sweden n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2239 - TRIANGULUS Sweden n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2271 - WALRUS Japan n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2468 - WHITE United Kingdom n y y y

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 08 2009 at 15:05
I've found info on Perkele (very interesting name btwLOL), and I'll be glad to take care of the bio and the rest - though I have some doubts as to the prog-relatedness of this band, which is defined as 'gothic metal' by the Metal Archives.

Date Posted: February 08 2009 at 16:07
Here Dean, a small bio of Flight 09, unless you think it's un-imformativeDead:

Flight 09 was formed in 1986 in Tashkent, the capital of Uzbekistan . Flight 09 used to play some sort of Prog Metal back in their early days, but due to their lack of popularity playing that genre, they decided to move to a more straight-forward rock style, though with a matter of time they would include once again Prog elements to their latest albums. 

Flight 09 is formed by Igor Savitch(vocals, guitars & keyboards), Constantine Savitch(bass) and Artiom Piyanzin(drums).

Flight 09’s albums have been released through Neurosis Records(American Label) and been managed by guitarist/composer Rick Ray, which made it possible to make some international success.

A photo(s), I couldn't manage to stick the three photos together....:

Date Posted: February 08 2009 at 16:26
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I've found info on Perkele (very interesting name btwLOL), and I'll be glad to take care of the bio and the rest - though I have some doubts as to the prog-relatedness of this band, which is defined as 'gothic metal' by the Metal Archives.
Go for it Raff Clap - we'll worry about the validity at a later date - can't really tell anything of what they sound like  from what the Encyclopeadia Metallum say. Wink

Originally posted by cacho cacho wrote:

Here Dean, a small bio of Flight 09, unless you think it's un-imformativeDead
Very useful, thanks Pablo Clap- I'll update the page in a short while (once I've glued the pictures together).

/edit:  Flight 09 and Horizont updated

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 08 2009 at 17:10
^thanks for the credits Dean! Much appreciated!

I'll try to find some info from others you listed.

Date Posted: February 08 2009 at 17:21
^ Cheers! Thumbs Up

Just updated Mĺns Mossa, but I think that's it for me tonight.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 08 2009 at 17:30
Do you have a photo of Mans Mossa?, if not here:

If someone could translate me this:
Mĺns Mossa var en 70-tals grupp frĺn Skellefteĺ, relativt okänd utanför hemmaarenorna, som lirade progressiv rock i samma skola som Trettioĺriga Kriget och samtida progg- och reggaeband. De gav ut en LP-skiva som var den första fullängdare som släppts av ett band frĺn Skellefteĺ. Den pressades i enbart 1000 ex. och betraktas idag som en raritet av samlare. I samband med skivsläppet sĺ var dom med i en tävling som var föregĺngare till Rock-SM och kvalade upp till final pĺ Gröna Lund, där dom fick en delad fjärdeplacering. Gruppen splittrades dock 1981 när viljorna började gĺ isär. Första ĺterföreningen var 1991 och sedan dess har de spelat ungefär vart femte ĺr. Tex. när Skelleftefestivalen ( Stadsfesten sedermera ) startades upp sĺ spelade Mĺns Mossa de tvĺ första ĺren. En intervju med sĺngaren Olav Markstedt och lite till gĺr att läsa i boken "Hela hjärtat mitt - ögonblick frĺn Skellefteĺs pophistoria".

I would be glad to make a bio of my own, but I already did a thread of this, so....

EDIT: ah, I see the photo now....

Posted By: Plankowner
Date Posted: February 09 2009 at 01:22
Originally posted by Plankowner Plankowner wrote:

In just our Progressive Metal category, the following bands are in PA, without bios:

Hydrotoxin
Pantommind
The Quiet Room
Payne's Gray
Platitude
Silent Exile
Sonic Debris
Stonehenge

Think the tech/extreme and experimental/post categories are fine, not sure though...

Date Posted: February 09 2009 at 06:50
We are proud to announce that, with the recent addition of Svanfridur's and Valinor's Tree's bios, there are no bands lacking a bio in Heavy Prog. 

Date Posted: February 20 2009 at 19:15
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Biog, Pic and video links added for The Parlour Band http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2340 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2340

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2754 - France n y y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2084 - Uzbekistan y y y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2020 - Sweden y y n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2377 - United States n y n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2310 - Germany n n n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2293 - Sweden n n n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2307 - Bulgaria n n n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2193 - Finland n n n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1137 - United States n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=990 - Estonia n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2276 - Sweden n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2239 - Sweden n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2271 - Japan n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2468 - United Kingdom n y y y

There a update.... I'm writing the bio for White, the rest of the bands I found impossible to find something about them.....

Date Posted: February 20 2009 at 19:28
^ah thanks Raff!

Date Posted: February 20 2009 at 19:31
Sorry, Pablo, deleted my post because it seems there are TWO Walruses from Japan... The one I posted a link to is a 'shoegaze' band, while the one we have in the DB seems to be much more in the prog vein.

Date Posted: February 20 2009 at 19:35
^Confused It's ok then, no worries.

Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 07:52
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2754 - BOFFO, JEAN-PASCAL France n y y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2377 - KAMPMAN, ERIC United States n y n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2307 - OM ART FORMATION Bulgaria n n n y

Pablo's White Bio added Clap thanks Pablo

(do people any thoughts/objections on merging it with Alan White's solo entry in Xover?)

...I think that's as much as we're going to be able to do for now.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: February 21 2009 at 08:20
I think the merging of the two Alan White entries is an excellent idea. I added Alan White way back in the past, but have no idea of when White was added, and did not think of having the two entries merged. Anyway, I can promise I will do some research on the missing bands, though I'm afraid it's going to be anything but easy.

Posted By: St.Cleve Chronicle
Date Posted: June 03 2009 at 12:02
Originally posted by ProgLucky ProgLucky wrote:

We need to know the following information:

1- 1st paragraph: Short history, list of current and former members, style & similar bands

2- 2nd paragraph: Describe the better cds without mentioning their tracks.

3- End with mention (recommended, highly recommended or not) or brief commentary.

Special Notes: When using band names ... write them in UPPER CASE; album names should appear between quotation marks "..."  Ex: MARILLION "Brave".

Are these rules or guidelines? I posted a biography for Chicago earlier today and it doesn't quite follow these instructions. Basically it's an overview of their career with a few words on their style. Should I get back to writing?

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: June 03 2009 at 14:17
What about Golem? There`s no band biography for Golem.

-------------

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: June 03 2009 at 15:58

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2754 - France n y y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2084 - Uzbekistan y y y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2020 - Sweden y y n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2377 - United States n y n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2310 - Germany n n n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2293 - Sweden n n n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2307 - Bulgaria n n n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2193 - Finland n n n y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1137 - United States n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=990 - Estonia n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2276 - Sweden n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2239 - Sweden n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2271 - Japan n n y y
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2468 - United Kingdom n y y y

(do people any thoughts/objections on merging it with Alan White's solo entry in Xover?)

Took care of the bio for Estonian act Synopsis, as well as a picture.

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: June 03 2009 at 16:22
We have checked the first 90 Symphonic bands with the new Moving Puictures 07 and Tszirmay and found that several bios must be done again.

With the  the previous members we made sure that no bands were left without bio (less than 5 are missing) but now we must do again the terrible ones, then the mediocre and at last those we believe are not enough.

We will priorize well known bands with lots of info that were added with a crappy bio, for example Ange has an acceptable bio (not enough because the huge info availlable), but Movimgpictures07 gooogled the fitrst phrase of the bio

Quote Formed in late 1969 by brothers Christian Descamps (vocals) and Francis Descamps (keyboards) and later joined by guitarist Jean-Michel Brézovar, bassist Daniel Haas and Gérard Jelsh on drums, this French symphonic progressive rock band, similar to contemporaries such as Genesis and King Crimson, is undoubtedly France’s most important prog band.

And found that 55 sites have the exact same words, I believe all are copied from us, but we can't keep this bio anymore, specially because most blogs credit Wikipedia. Dead

We found several copied some really awfull and a lot of mediocre ones, we have around 35 bands from the first 90 to be done again.

We will try to ask the help of the members who are familiar with some of them and/or contact the band, the rest, as usual will have to be done by us.

There are also some bands without photos in which w placed the most popular album, but we will ask your help again to find any photo.

The websites are another issue, most of the bands missing links, don't have a website, and that's beyond our control.

Lots of work ahead.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: June 03 2009 at 16:33
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

Took care of the bio for Estonian act Synopsis, as well as a picture.
Clap Thanks Olav.

Perkele were eliminated from the database.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Marty McFly
Date Posted: September 22 2009 at 12:49

So, all bands from Czech Republic have bio, if you can accept this.

Quote Stromboli was Czech art rock group mixed with fusion of different styles. Founded in 1986 by guitarist (of Pražský výběr fame), Michal Pavlíček, who already was in many bands and projects. They were characteristical by high vocal of singer Bára Basiková (who later pursued successfull, more pop oriented career). Bass guitar was played by Jiří Veselý. Later on, lineup was quite unstable (drums/percussion played by Klaudius Kryšpín of Pražský výběr fame and Jan Seidl, keyboards by Vendula Kašpárková and Roman Dragoun). Guest (and responsible person for their probably well known song "Ó hory, hory") player was Vilém Čok (again of Pražský výběr). They released two studio albums, Stromboli (in 1987) and from prog point of view worse, Shutdown (1989) + Best of & Shutdown played with music composed for a string quartet. 

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2326

Sorry to have it so short, but there's not much info around on internet to be found. Only one is short article on wikipedia (Czech), just four lines, so I've added few things (like that Michal Pavlíček was present in many projects and bands), this kind of things.

-------------
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my

Posted By: LiquidEternity
Date Posted: October 13 2009 at 15:50
An updated and spell-checked version of my older Devin Townsend bio:

file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CSPENCE%7E1.DOO%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml - DEVIN TOWNSEND, possibly more widely known as the frontman for the extreme metal act STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, began creating solo albums in 1997.

Sometimes referred to as the “Mad Scientist of Metal,” TOWNSEND produces a wide variety of music, all the way from soft ambiance designed, as he has stated, to put the listener to sleep, to high levels of thrash and extreme metal reminiscent of SYL.
His works often feature a "wall of sound," built by adding many layers of guitars and keyboards that are playing in unison or harmony. The end result are a number of carefully produced and mixed albums that favor high-end sound systems.

His first solo album, "Ocean Machine: Biomech" (1997), was actually originally simply titled "Biomech" and the band project labeled OCEAN MACHINE. However, on subsequent releases in most countries, the one-shot band name was incorporated into the title, and TOWNSEND's name was affixed to the record. Following the release of that came his first solo album proper, 1998's "Infinity." However, diagnosed with bipolar disorder and suffering with severe depression, TOWNSEND left the album only partly finished, filling in the song gaps with other demos. Rebounding from this struggle, he wrote "Physicist" in 2000, creating a sort of pop-metal release featuring the members of his band STRAPPING YOUNG LAD. His 2001 project, "Terria," features some of his most complicated and deep production, incorporating many sounds from nature into the recording, and stands as one of his most well-known and most critically acclaimed albums.

His next solo project, THE DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND, began in 2003 with the release of "Accelerated Evolution." Adding drummer Ryan Van Poederooyen, guitarist Brian Waddell, bassist Mike Young, and keyboardist Dave Young, TOWNSEND decided to start releasing albums once more with a full-time band rather than merely studio musicians. Taking a dramatic turn from the style of "Terria," TOWNSEND adopted a much more band-oriented feel, reducing the amount of atmosphere and increasing the level of accessibility of the music.

As a side project during this time, TOWNSEND stitched together the fierce ambient "Devlab" album in 2004. The line-up of THE DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND continued for several as a functional touring outfit. The collaboration concluded with the 2006 album "Synchestra"--though this release marked the first time the same lineup had been present for two albums in a row. That same year, he released "The Hummer," another ambient piece similar to but gentler than "Devlab." Not much later, he broke up THE DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND, intending to take an indefinite leave from touring. In 2007, however, he created "Ziltoid The Omniscient" as an entirely solo record, going so far as to even program the drums and mix the album himself.

Following the post-“Ziltoid” hiatus, he returned rather dramatically to the music production scene. TOWNSEND began planning and creating a four album concept called the DEVIN TOWNSEND PROJECT. The PROJECT debuted in the summer of 2009 with the album “Ki,” a release that featured returning DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND keyboardist Dave Young, long-time studio drummer Duris Maxwell (who is most notable for playing with HEART and JEFFERSON AIRPLANE), and the bassist from a local BEATLES tribute band named Jean Savoie. “Ki” represents a massive stylistic shift as TOWNSEND creates a heavy sound mostly devoid of distortion and wild drums, commonly his trademarks. The second part of the series, “Addicted,” is set for a November 2009 release. This time around, TOWNSEND brought in (returning DEVIN TOWNSEND BAND) drummer Ryan van Poederooyen and bassist Mark Waddell, throwing in Mark Cimono on guitars. Also, many of the vocals on the release are performed by Anneke van Giersbergen (of THE GATHERING and AYREON fame). The final two albums of the PROJECT are slated to be released in 2010. TOWNSEND plans to tour in 2010 as well, having changed his mind about playing live since his 2006 declaration of studio-only work.

In addition to his solo efforts and work with STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, DEVIN TOWNSEND is a highly talented producer, with his production talents featuring on albums by artists ranging from LAMB OF GOD, SOILWORK and BECOMING THE ARCHETYPE, to name a few. Furthermore, he has added vocals to projects such as AYREON and STEVE VAI.

WHY THIS ARTIST IS INCLUDED IN PA:
DEVIN TOWNSEND is a well known and musically significant member of the progressive metal scene.

-------------

Posted By: LiquidEternity
Date Posted: October 17 2009 at 15:19
Bump?

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 16:41
Crossover Bands needing Bios if anyone is interested in helping out:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2335 - AUTOGRAPH (AVTOGRAF / AUTOGRAF) Russia
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1626 -
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2296 - KEDAMA Switzerland
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2083 - KINZOKUEBISU Japan
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1512 - LEVIATHAN (USA 70S) USA
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2292 - LIFE Sweden
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2071 - OLIVER UK
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=910 - PYE FYTE USA
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1062 - QANGO UK
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2185 - RĹG I RYGGEN Sweden
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1050 - RAMSES Germany
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1304 - RAVANA Norway
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1192 - ROCKENFIELD / SPEER USA
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1155 - ROSE Canada
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1570 - RUNNER UK
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1581 - SAMMELSURIUM Germany
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1248 - SCHIZOPHONIA Switzerland
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=735 - SONUS UMBRA Mexico
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1601 -
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2238 - TITUS GROAN UK
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=941 - TRIBUTE Sweden
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1251 - TWEEN DECK 2 Sweden
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1063 - URBANE, THE UK
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=2291 - VIOLENT SILENCE Sweden
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1537 - ZARG Brazil

-------------
What?

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 17:30

I'll gladly do Autograph if there are no takers.

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 17:36
Thumbs Up

-------------
What?

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 18:17
I could give Pye Fyte a shot

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: October 18 2009 at 18:18
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Long ago I promised to Eugene (Fassbinder) to write Autograph bio, I even started it, but it's still unfinished. I think I should keep my promise. Wait until the end of the world several days, guys. Smile

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: akamaisondufromage
Date Posted: January 17 2010 at 12:47
Don't know where this should go but for info -

THe THe Way we Live Bio says

Although their Tractor album will not be included on the Archives for they are of little interest for progheads, their debut album The Way We Live is definitely a charming fusion of Indian-laced psychedelic folk and hard rock.

And The Tractor Bio says

Tractor's music is an exciting mixture of British psychedelia, folk, and heavy rock. Highly recommended for the fans of the said genres!
followed by reviws of said album.

LOL

-------------
Help me I'm falling!

Posted By: ProgressiveAttic
Date Posted: March 05 2010 at 16:37
I've noticed that THE SYN has no bio.... so I wrote one:

The Syn was one of the first bands in the London early prog scene and its history is intimately related to YES' origin and therefore it was fundamental to the development of prog. Originally, the band was formed by school mates Steve Nardelli (lead vocals) and John Painter (guitar) around 1965, playing R&B covers.

The Syn was later joined by the members of a band called THE SELFS comprised by Chris Squire (bass), Andrew Jackman (keyboards) and Martyn Adelman (drums). Shortly afer, original guitarist Painter was replaced by Peter Banks and Martyn Adelman left to be replaced by Icelandic Gunnar Hákonarson behind the drums.

The addition of two new members changed the direction of the band. Instead of playing R&B covers they started to write their own psychedelic oriented pieces, releasing two singles (Created by Clive and Flowerman) in 1967 and becoming one of the first bands (if not the first) to perform a rock opera on stage. The band became a regular at the Marquee club in London and got to open for JIMI HENDRIX on one of his historic concerts.

In 1967 the band disbanded and Chris Squire together with Peter Banks left to form Mabel Greer's Toyshop which will later evolve into Yes' first incarnation.

In 2003, 36 years after disbanding the band, Adelman, Nardelli and Banks started to plan a reunion. In 2005 the lineup formed by Paul Stacey(guitars), Gerard Johnson (keyboards), Steve Nardelli (vocals),Jeremy Stacey (drums) and Chris Squire (bass, backing vocals) released the first studio album of the band "Syndestructible".

After the release an tour of "Syndestructible", Nardelli took over the THE SYN name and recruited Francis Dunnery (guitars) and Tom Brislin (keyboards), the last one having played with other classic prog acts such as Camel and Yes. This lineup released "Big Sky" in early 2009 with the collaboration of Brett Kull, Paul Ramsey and Dorie Jackson.

Studio Discography:
"Syndestructible" 2005
"Big Sky" 2009

The overall sound of "Syndestructible" will appeal to modern YES and Chris Squire fans, since the style is very reminiscent to recent YES (specially Rabin era) and CONSPIRACY. On the other hand "Big Sky" has moved to a more original sound but is still close to YES.

Highly recommended to Chris Squire and mellow prog fans.

Michael (AKA ProgressiveAttic)

-------------
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 04:16

I've done pleasant one, Taproban:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1258 - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1258

Quote Formed in 1996 in Rome, Italy
by drummer Fabio Mociatti, keyboardist Gianluca De Rossi, singer Paolo Cedrone
and bassist Stefano Proietti. The group's name is from Taprobana, the ancient name for island in Indian Ocean, probably Ceylon(Sri-Lanka). Main influences were 70's British bands like Genesis, Gentle Giant and King Crimson. They recorded a two demos, meanwhile changing drummer position for Valter Strappolini and bassist-guitarist Roberto Pizzi. Their new sounds however reminded this of a ELP with prominent keyboards. Because of lack of enthusiasm, the band became inactive for two years till reuniting in 2001 with yet another reforming, with Davide Guidoni on drums/percussions and Guglielmo Mariotti on bass, both having experience with playing in bands from past.

They released three quite good studio albums by far and contributed to several Collosus Project albums (7 Samurai, Spaghetti Epic) with long compositions. The band is not active at the moment, members concentrated on their own projects.

Written by Martin M. (Marty McFly)

-------------
There's a point where "avant-garde" and "experimental" becomes "terrible" and "pointless,"

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my

Posted By: snobb
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 04:45
Originally posted by clarke2001

Originally posted by NotAProghead

Long ago I promised to Eugene (Fassbinder) to write Autograph bio, I even started it, but it's still unfinished. I think I should keep my promise. Wait until the end of the world several days, guys. Smile

I looks the process is stucked a little bitLOL?

Does something happens with this, or I just can write it ?

Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 05:28
Maybe you can share the notes and do it as collaboration then.

-------------

-Andyman1125 on Lulu

Even my

Posted By: ProgressiveAttic
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 12:33
Originally posted by ProgressiveAttic ProgressiveAttic wrote:

The Syn was one of the first bands in the London early prog scene and its history is intimately related to YES' origin and therefore it was fundamental to the development of prog. Originally, the band was formed by school mates Steve Nardelli (lead vocals) and John Painter (guitar) around 1965, playing R&B covers.

The Syn was later joined by the members of a band called THE SELFS comprised by Chris Squire (bass), Andrew Jackman (keyboards) and Martyn Adelman (drums). Shortly afer, original guitarist Painter was replaced by Peter Banks and Martyn Adelman left to be replaced by Icelandic Gunnar Hákonarson behind the drums.

The addition of two new members changed the direction of the band. Instead of playing R&B covers they started to write their own psychedelic oriented pieces, releasing two singles (Created by Clive and Flowerman) in 1967 and becoming one of the first bands (if not the first) to perform a rock opera on stage. The band became a regular at the Marquee club in London and got to open for JIMI HENDRIX on one of his historic concerts.

In 1967 the band disbanded and Chris Squire together with Peter Banks left to form Mabel Greer's Toyshop which will later evolve into Yes' first incarnation.

In 2003, 36 years after disbanding the band, Adelman, Nardelli and Banks started to plan a reunion. In 2005 the lineup formed by Paul Stacey(guitars), Gerard Johnson (keyboards), Steve Nardelli (vocals),Jeremy Stacey (drums) and Chris Squire (bass, backing vocals) released the first studio album of the band "Syndestructible".

After the release an tour of "Syndestructible", Nardelli took over the THE SYN name and recruited Francis Dunnery (guitars) and Tom Brislin (keyboards), the last one having played with other classic prog acts such as Camel and Yes. This lineup released "Big Sky" in early 2009 with the collaboration of Brett Kull, Paul Ramsey and Dorie Jackson.

Studio Discography:
"Syndestructible" 2005
"Big Sky" 2009

The overall sound of "Syndestructible" will appeal to modern YES and Chris Squire fans, since the style is very reminiscent to recent YES (specially Rabin era) and CONSPIRACY. On the other hand "Big Sky" has moved to a more original sound but is still close to YES.

Is the bio OK or should I change something?

-------------
Michael's Sonic Kaleidoscope Mondays 5:00pm EST(re-runs Thursdays 3:00pm) @ Delicious Agony Progressive Rock Radio(http://www.deliciousagony.com)

Posted By: NotAProghead
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 12:56
Originally posted by snobb snobb wrote:

Originally posted by NotAProghead

I looks the process is stucked a little bitLOL?

Does something happens with this, or I just can write it ?

Slava, if you're in the mood to do it, please do it Smile. I remember my promise, but my thoughts now are far from Autograf.

-------------
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 13:05

Studio Discography:
"Syndestructible" 2005
"Big Sky" 2009

Is the bio OK or should I change something?

Thanks Michael!  I added the Bio.  Smile

-------------

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: March 14 2010 at 13:46
Bio written and added and a better picture found for http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=1512 - Leviathan

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk