Print Page | Close Window

Weirdest thing youve done related to prog

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15185
Printed Date: May 21 2024 at 11:47
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Weirdest thing youve done related to prog
Posted By: JayDee
Subject: Weirdest thing youve done related to prog
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 06:59

put make up in my face, imitating P. Gabriel's look....

(of course when no one is around)

care to share yours?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 07:02

Trying to emulate Peter Gabriel's voice.

I don't sing that much, but his voice has soo much range, I can never hit the high notes.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 07:03
Originally posted by Majestic_Mayhem Majestic_Mayhem wrote:

care to share yours?

I  cant say I did that

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 07:04
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Trying to emulate Peter Gabriel's voice.

I don't sing that much, but his voice has soo much range, I can never hit the high notes.

i can relate!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 07:04
Ok  I  play  air keyboard  whenever I hear tony banks  solo 

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 07:05
Originally posted by s1ipp3ry s1ipp3ry wrote:

care to share yours?

I  cant say I did that

-------------

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 07:11

i remember when i used to sneak in to my mom's room, and mess with her make up kit!!!!!!!

and she's wondering why has the foundation powder and her  masscara's all messed up and not as plenty as before!!!!

evil deeds!!!!!!

she never found out!!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 07:16

i remember when i used to sneak in to my mom's room, and mess with her make up kit!!!!!!!

and she's wondering why has the foundation powder and her  masscara's all messed up and not as plenty as before!!!!

evil deeds!!!!!!

she never found out!!!!!!!

Now that's a bit oo much...............

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 07:25

I did have my face painted to fitMarillion's  Fish make-up he wore during Forgotten Sons and also dressed up in military uniform. The only time I did wear military stuff! It was for Halloween 82

Playing air guitar or KB does not count!!! Everyone does that one. but not to the sex pistols, maybe!

well they do not go around air-guitaring to ELP, either !

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 07:52

face painting is fun....

let those skeletons out from your closets!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 08:08

My friend and I would air drum through the whole of Exit Stage Left. It was a kind of iron man contest to see whose little arms would give out first. We were a lot younger and fitter then.

Even to this day I like to sing along to Genesis albums. I've often convinced myself that I can be both Gabriel and Collins. This sometimes even happens when I'm sober....

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 08:15
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

My friend and I would air drum through the whole of Exit Stage Left. It was a kind of iron man contest to see whose little arms would give out first. We were a lot younger and fitter then.

Even to this day I like to sing along to Genesis albums. I've often convinced myself that I can be both Gabriel and Collins. This sometimes even happens when I'm sober....

ooohhhhh, thats crazy!!!! it mustve been hard being neil peart eh???!!!

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 08:18

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

ooohhhhh, thats crazy!!!! it mustve been hard being neil peart eh???!!!

Nah, it was easy  Thats the great thing about having a wild imagination. It makes up for the lack of actual  musical talent! 

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 08:22
^

-------------

Posted By: Ekzodo
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 08:27

I DON`T KNOW IF THIS IS WEIRD, BUT MAYBE IS FOR A MENTAL INSTITUTION

Every week I spend more than u$s 200 in music (magazines, records, T-shirts)

The most weird is that sometimes I "borrow" some cd`s of my sister (Back Street Boys, Shakira, s*h*t like that and I sell those to buy more prog music) I KNOW I HAVE A PROBLEM

I ALSO TRY TO IMITATE MANY TIMES FISH, BUT I`M TOO SKINY

pardon my english

ekzodo..spoke

-------------
THERE`S TO MUCH MUSIC AND SO LITTLE TIME TO LISTEN TO IT

VIVA LA ARGENTINA PROGRESIVA!!!!!

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 08:35

^ your english is fine dude!

i have that addiction too............

t-shirts, CDs and magazines: iresistable temptations!

-------------

Posted By: Ekzodo
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 08:39

IN PROGARCHIVES ALWAYS WILL UNDERSTAND ME

wish I can tell that about my parents and my girlfriend....

-------------
THERE`S TO MUCH MUSIC AND SO LITTLE TIME TO LISTEN TO IT

VIVA LA ARGENTINA PROGRESIVA!!!!!

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 08:55
^

-------------

Posted By: NutterAlert
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 09:01
I think LL needs to post in this thread

-------------
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 09:06
im sorry, who's LL?... hehe

-------------

Posted By: Spaxx
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 09:46
Prog has inspired me to wear flared out jeans, denim jackets, long gothic capes and dressing up like a diasy on my trips to the grocery store!  I'm prog as hell. 

Posted By: goose
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 09:53

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 10:02
Originally posted by Ekzodo Ekzodo wrote:

The most weird is that sometimes I "borrow" some cd`s of my sister (Back Street Boys, Shakira, s*h*t like that and I sell those to buy more prog music) I KNOW I HAVE A PROBLEM

I understand the temptation Ekzodo ... but that's still nasty ...imagine if someone cleared out your prog collection ... 

My dumbest days were the days before prog ... I even had a dual-direction head-banging technique ... I reached untold depths ... when scoffing down large amounts of the hottest chilis in Thailand (where I then lived) ... running up and down headbanging to Rainbow!

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 10:07
Originally posted by Trotsky Trotsky wrote:

I understand the temptation Ekzodo ... but that's still nasty ...imagine if someone cleared out your prog collection ... 

My dumbest days were the days before prog ... I even had a dual-direction head-banging technique ... I reached untold depths ... when scoffing down large amounts of the hottest chilis in Thailand (where I then lived) ... running up and down headbanging to Rainbow!

Hi trotsky!!!!!!!

i once strained my neck, headbanging..

it taught me a lesson!!! it gave me a 4- day stiff neck, and a soft cervical collar!!!!!

BTW, rainbows music is yummy!!!!!

-------------

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 10:26

Originally posted by Trotsky Trotsky wrote:

Hi trotsky!!!!!!!

i once strained my neck, headbanging..

it taught me a lesson!!! it gave me a 4- day stiff neck, and a soft cervical collar!!!!!

BTW, rainbows music is yummy!!!!!

heh heh Kill The King is still my number head-banging song ... although last two times I did were at Uriah Heep's show when they did Bird Of Prey and Deep Purple's when they launched into Speed King ...

I was still in my 20s then (three years ago) ... ... not anymore

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 10:33

^you mean youre only 23?? Im also 23.... hehe..

love those bands

we have the same liking,

for deep purple: Burrrnnnn, and highway star..

dont have the privilage to see them live though, so i just pretend......

-------------

Posted By: Jeremy Bender
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 10:57

I once demolished an old organ which stands in our rehearsel room.....

So I like to play Emerson once in a while(although I'm a drummer)

Posted By: con safo
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 12:35
I like to sing along to VdGG .. of course you can imagine how silly i sound trying to emulate Peter Hammill

-------------

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 12:53
I don't know... when I first got into music, ther was no internet and, living in a small not progressive country, the only chance to get some good albums was the following: going into an old hippie vynil store, and buying copies of those vynils, wich were passed to a tape. The whole process included waiting for the hippie, who also worked on a harbour. That means that the vynil store was open from 21:30 to 24:00. the store was located on a flea market, etc. Each visit provided me two album copies, one for each side of the 90 minutes tape, plus the xerox copy of the cover art, or a photograph. Then, on the way home, I has time enough to listen one of the sides of the tape. Later, once into bed, I use to check out the B side. ¿Is that weird enough?.

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Posted By: Lofcaudio
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 13:33
I don't know if this is a reflection of how much I like prog or how lazy I am.  After buying Neal Morse's One CD, I liked it so much that I took it wherever I went.  Well, I have two CD players at home and I got tired of switching it out of one and putting it in the other based upon what room in the house I was in.  So I bought another CD (and I don't spend much on music, trust me on this) so that I would have one in each player, always ready to go.  I listened to that CD every day for nearly 9 months!  Now that I don't listen to it as often, the extra CD has come in handy.  It is now my "loaner" copy.  Someone asks me what music I listen to, I hand them the CD and say, "Here's my type of music...listen to it 10 times and let me know what you think.  Don't listen to it just once, because it will go right over your head.  Let it sink into your bones.  Enjoy!"  (This actually works!)

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 14:37

^you mean youre only 23?? Im also 23.... hehe..

love those bands

we have the same liking,

for deep purple: Burrrnnnn, and highway star..

dont have the privilage to see them live though, so i just pretend......

No no ... I wish!

it came out wrong ... three years ago I was still in my 20s (meaning I was 29 then and 32 now) ...

nowadays I do something silly and my body reminds me of it for the next few days!

-------------

Posted By: Heraclea
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 15:27
Singing/reciting  prog songs, mostly Genesis, in public.  I still do that.  When I'm not talking to myself, that is. Why care about what others think?

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 15:34
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Wanna bet? Oh wait, you mean the Sex Pistols. Well, never mind, I, myself, air-guitar to Lake's acoustic guitar playing on Take A Pebble (and airplay -  airplay? the word sounds familiar   - to Emerson's piano pieces)

We're a pathetic bunch of guys, aren't we?   Any girls who participate in this behaviour?

I never used the make up - kit: lucky me: Banks was my hero

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 16:16
I listen to Camel's Snow Goose on my bus ride back from school while playing air-guitar in the isle... When it's the smooth slow guitars, I go back in my seat until my next time to rise

Date Posted: November 30 2005 at 18:38
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Wanna bet? Oh wait, you mean the Sex Pistols. Well, never mind, I, myself, air-guitar to Lake's acoustic guitar playing on Take A Pebble (and airplay -  airplay? the word sounds familiar   - to Emerson's piano pieces)

We're a pathetic bunch of guys, aren't we?   Any girls who participate in this behaviour?

I never used the make up - kit: lucky me: Banks was my hero

love pushes you to do weird things. Love for prog music that is!

i wanna hear the ladies

-------------

Date Posted: December 01 2005 at 09:08
well ladies?

-------------

Posted By: Hibou
Date Posted: December 01 2005 at 16:44

Ok, here’s a lady’s story (not exactly weird but crazy enough):

In the early 80’s when Abacab came out, Atlantic Records had printed the same picture on the LP’s front cover but in four different colour combinations (to quadruple the sales, of course). Being a staunch collector of Genesis memorabilia, I wasn’t going to skimp on a few extra $$$, so I picked up all four copies even if the music was exactly the same on every album.

When the guy at the cash saw me coming with the lot, he started lecturing me on how record labels conned poor fans like myself into spending their hard-earned cash, how disgusting it was to use such crass marketing techniques and yadda-yadda-yadda. I knew all this, of course, but a collector can be as stubborn as a mule. So I waited patiently until he finished his rant (he was fuming by now, pumping himself up, almost screaming at the top of his lungs) and then I dropped the four albums on the counter, ready to pay for them. You should have seen his face: he was so red, so angry I thought he was going to explode or hit me on the head.

In retrospect, I know he was right but I still cherish those albums (even if the music on it is crap) and I know I would buy them again if I had to. That’s how crazy I was (still am) about GENESIS.

-------------
[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b311/Progueuse/Album.jpg">
Gene Police: You!! Out of the pool!

Date Posted: December 02 2005 at 09:57
Originally posted by Hibou Hibou wrote:

In the early 80’s when Abacab came out, Atlantic Records had printed the same picture on the LP’s front cover but in four different colour combinations (to quadruple the sales, of course). Being a staunch collector of Genesis memorabilia, I wasn’t going to skimp on a few extra $$$, so I picked up all four copies even if the music was exactly the same on every album.

When the guy at the cash saw me coming with the lot, he started lecturing me on how record labels conned poor fans like myself into spending their hard-earned cash, how disgusting it was to use such crass marketing techniques and yadda-yadda-yadda. I knew all this, of course, but a collector can be as stubborn as a mule. So I waited patiently until he finished his rant (he was fuming by now, pumping himself up, almost screaming at the top of his lungs) and then I dropped the four albums on the counter, ready to pay for them. You should have seen his face: he was so red, so angry I thought he was going to explode or hit me on the head.

In retrospect, I know he was right but I still cherish those albums (even if the music on it is crap) and I know I would buy them again if I had to. That’s how crazy I was (still am) about GENESIS.

That is pretty fanatical ... the fact that you would buy them again, I mean!

Then again, one of the things my friends really bash me for is the fact that I have all four colours of Michael Jackson's Invincible album ... and I think it's terrible! ... of course, two were given to me as part of my work, a third was given to my wife as part of hers, and a fourth was an extra copy that my good friend who worked in Sony, passed me at the very beginning ... the sheer coincidence that all 4 were different colours made me hang on to them

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: December 02 2005 at 10:44
Originally posted by Hibou Hibou wrote:

I had a friend who bought all version of Zep's In Through The Outdoor - that was particularly crazy because they were in brown paper bags so you would not know which one you were buying, too!! But He made a deal with the salesman that he would buy all six if he could peak in them!! Of course the guya agreed to it! Six albums gone in one shot!

But this Genesis different colours was also the case with Split Enz's album. I knew someone that did buy three versions of it! And the triangular shapes were also printed on the vinyl itself - beautyful results and much classier than ABACRAP!!

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Alucard
Date Posted: December 02 2005 at 11:05

Reminds me  of the  'Wish you were here' cover, when it came out in this black plastic sleeve. I thought it was so cool I took it of only years later....

my strangest Prog souvenir: I had a ticket for a Jethro Tull  concert which was quite far away from my hometown. The day of the concert, just before taking the train I broke my glasses, leaving me like the hair who lost his spectacles without a spair pair. I went there anyway, it was quite hard to get there but I finally made it to the venue. The concert itself was great  even if I couldn't see much more then some coloured spots.

-------------
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Posted By: walrus333
Date Posted: December 02 2005 at 22:36
Heh Well A bit back there was a thread here on weather Coheed and Cambria were prog, I was arguing that they were not, the next day at school some dude had a coheed and cambria t-shirt on, so I (being the nerdy prog freak I am) immediatly went up to him and started ranting on all the reasons they were not prog.

-------------
If anyone knows where I can get a copy of some Flute and Voice (Indo-Prog/Raga Rock) albums please PM me! Many thanks!

Date Posted: December 02 2005 at 23:16
I haven't done anything overly weird. I don't consider air instruments or singing to be weird, since I do them all the time. I guess the strangest thing I've done was listen to only Dream Theater, in chronological order from the start, in the two weeks leading up to the release of Octavarium. With the massive collection of stuff I have by them, it wasn't particularly difficult.

Posted By: Harold Dupont
Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 00:41
One day I hadn't money, I saw a DSOTM poster on stole it...

Posted By: tardis
Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 01:14
I tried to shoplift Dark Side Of The Moon once and got caught...

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: December 03 2005 at 01:24
Originally posted by tardis tardis wrote:

the only thing i ever tried to do is to get my friends into listening to prog

I failed miserably

Posted By: NetsNJFan
Date Posted: December 04 2005 at 14:17

Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

Originally posted by tardis tardis wrote:

the only thing i ever tried to do is to get my friends into listening to prog

I failed miserably

same

-------------

Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: December 04 2005 at 14:51
Hah! I succeeded!!!!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Posted By: Gomurisu
Date Posted: December 04 2005 at 16:14
Hmm... Something weird... I don't know, maybe trying to sing Cygnus X-1 with the same octave as Geddy Lee. Impossible...

Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 11:58
I just remembered one more thing: my familiy gave me a ticket to a Fcous show for my birthday. the thing is, they thought I was a Fcous fan because of my girl. She likes focuas a lot, so I bought some music for her. I had to change my front ticket (I was quite broke by the time) for two tickets on that section that lies beside the beside, so we could go together and hugh while they were playing. Not very weird, I guess, but its something. I love Mercedes so much...

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Posted By: troy
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 12:03

It definately can be likened to a drug addiction.

-------------
SUNSET IS AN ANGEL WEEPING
HOLDING OUT A BLOODY SWORD
NO MATTER HOW I SQUINT I CANNOT MAKE OUT WHAT IT IS POINTING TOWARD

Posted By: oliverstoned
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 12:06
...not very weird or original, but i play "invisible" instruments (mainly drums, guitar and bass) in front of my hifi system.
...but you should ask to Alucard, maybe he'd tell you what he does when he's alone...

Posted By: Alucard
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 12:34

-------------
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Posted By: oliverstoned
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 12:35
No, i'll say nothing!! that's a secret between us

Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 15:31

Originally posted by Gomurisu Gomurisu wrote:

Hmm... Something weird... I don't know, maybe trying to sing Cygnus X-1 with the same octave as Geddy Lee. Impossible...

Try the following equipment: High Pitch Vocal Balls Compresor Pedal. I think it'll work.  

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Posted By: moodyxadi
Date Posted: December 19 2005 at 16:07

Living in the Third World like cuncuna, I know how difficult it was 'till some years ago (and the blessed internet) to find information and stuff about prog bands (and 60 and 70's bands in general).

well, the most crazy thing I've done about prog is the same I think all of you have tried someday in your life: introduce this world to my friends. They never could listen one simple song without making stupid comments or silly jokes about my musical taste. That's the reason why I have no comunication to the outside world about music, beside forums like this.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk