Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1763
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 02:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Steamhammer
Posted By: Axe Victim
Subject: Steamhammer
Date Posted: October 02 2004 at 03:34
What is your Favorite Steamhammer Release????

-------------
This Whole World Has Gone Slum Gullion

Replies:
Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: October 02 2004 at 20:12
Easy (takes me back to a Torremolinos disco in Spain,  around 1970): the single of Junior's Wailing, followed by the LP Mountains, because of the paired tracks Riding On The L'n'N/Hold That Train.
However, never felt comfortable with Steamhammer being pigeonholed prog - like Wishbone Ash, they  dabbled -  a lot of my favourite tunes by the band are most certainly straight out of mainstream British blues of the late 60's.

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: October 03 2004 at 16:57

I came across Steamhammer on an early 70's CBS sampler called "Fill your head with rock". It included a fine track by them called "Passing through".

The CBS samplers at that time (such as "The music people", "Rockbuster", and the "Rock machine" albums) were an excellent way of discovering the wealth of new music which was being recorded. Other labels had theirs too of course. Island's, which tended to be very good had "Bumpers", "El Pea"," You can all join in" etc., United artists "All good clean fun" etc.

On that subject, the Verglas label (Arena) currently have a couple of good cheap samplers on their website featuring their artists (mainly Arena related).

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: October 03 2004 at 20:03
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I came across Steamhammer on an early 70's CBS sampler called "Fill your head with rock". It included a fine track by them called "Passing through".

The CBS samplers at that time (such as "The music people", "Rockbuster", and the "Rock machine" albums) were an excellent way of discovering the wealth of new music which was being recorded. Other labels had theirs too of course. Island's, which tended to be very good had "Bumpers", "El Pea"," You can all join in" etc., United artists "All good clean fun" etc.

On that subject, the Verglas label (Arena) currently have a couple of good cheap samplers on their website featuring their artists (mainly Arena related).

Completely agree: those late 60's/early 70's samplers were an excellent intro to a broad range of developing rock. As a reminder, All Good Clean Fun with many more tracks than the original, got reissued this August by EMI in the UK for under £14 for a treble CD set.  Somebody tells me You Can All Join In got reissued on CD  in the mid 90's - but I completely missed it. And the best  CD compilation of the period is Decca's Legend Of A Mind . I'll make the plea again: both this and All Good Clean Fun should be included in the archives .

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: October 04 2004 at 15:06

Indeed Dick, I think the Various Artists section of the Archives is a little "weak" just now.  There are a number of good prog samplers and others which contain a significant proportion of prog, which could be listed. Many of these have become "historical documents" in their own right, as witnessed by the recent re-release you mention of "All good clean fun".

Posted By: Petra
Date Posted: December 16 2004 at 07:30

Ive just got Steamhammers album ' MKII' its excellent, lots of different styles but it is predominantly a blues rock album,  some great progressive tunes there too.

My favourite one is 'Jonhny Carl Morton' with brilliant harpsicord. One of the tracks '6/8 in Amiran' has touches of Jethro Tull's 'Locomotive breath' is great also.

-------------
Don't hate me
I'm not special like you

Posted By: Perry
Date Posted: December 16 2004 at 08:31

Steamhammer is one of my favourite group. But I prefer their early, blues-rock LPs, that later prog-rock.

"Reflections" - is a great example of band from BBB (British Blues Boom). Fantastic two-guitar leads, wonderful vocie of Kiren White... Mmmm

"MkII" - some best momets here. Turn around, sung by Steve Jolife (Tangerine dream), Supposed to be free. Masterpieces!!!

"Mountains" - it's a compromise between their blues rots and later progressive efforts. I think the best album by the group.

"Speech" - Kiren White leaves and takes all these blues... Mainly instrumental LP, sometimes boring but still there fine guitar from Martin Pugh impresse.

What opinions 'bout ARMAGEDDON, the group that has grown up from STEAMHAMMER?

-------------
Let music make your life a little sweeter - Kim Simmonds

Posted By: Axe Victim
Date Posted: January 08 2005 at 23:03
Speech

-------------
This Whole World Has Gone Slum Gullion

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk