Print Page | Close Window

MOODY BLUES

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=17839
Printed Date: May 05 2024 at 04:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: MOODY BLUES
Posted By: ANDREW
Subject: MOODY BLUES
Date Posted: January 23 2006 at 09:09

One of the first prog bands at the end of the sixties.

Which album do you prefere?

Replies:
Posted By: T-BONE
Date Posted: January 23 2006 at 09:35
WITHOUT A DOUBT..       ""THRESHOLD MY FAVORITE.""

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: January 23 2006 at 10:50

I like very much the core 7, ie, from "Days" up to "7th Sojourn", also "Long Distance Voyager" - practically all in the same level of appreciation.

But I voted "Days of Future Passed" for what it represents!

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: Winter Wine
Date Posted: January 23 2006 at 10:55
In Search of the Lost Chord for me, good to see some Moody Blues fans

-------------
My computer's broke

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 23 2006 at 11:30

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: ANDREW
Date Posted: January 23 2006 at 12:53
Do you think "Days Of Future Passed" is really the first prog album?

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: January 23 2006 at 21:34

Honestly I had to wait until they released Long Distance Voyager to really consider them Prog'.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: Soul Dreamer
Date Posted: January 23 2006 at 23:27
This is not an easy choice. I like a lot of their first 7 albums very much. But when I'm pressed to choose one, it's going to be "Seventh Sojourn" even if it's only for the track "Isn't life strange" which always seems to stand out although I consider it to be very sentimental (but in a good sense).

Posted By: shanocles
Date Posted: January 23 2006 at 23:47

yeah, i did click in the 'Days of Future Passed' box but quickly changed my mind to 'Threshold'.

-------------
if left is wrong i don't wanna be right...

Date Posted: January 24 2006 at 05:15

Originally posted by ANDREW ANDREW wrote:

Do you think "Days Of Future Passed" is really the first prog album?

Arguably, yes..

Although wasn't 'Freak Out' by 'The Mothers of Invention' 1966?? If so, that may be 'arguably' the first prog album.

-------------

Posted By: antonio
Date Posted: January 24 2006 at 05:37

SUR LA MER is the best album of the moody´s in the 80´s

"breaking" point and" deep "are the best progressive songs of the moody blues of ever.MASTERPIECE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"blue world"of the PRESENT abum also is a good progressive song

antonio

Posted By: smackiepipe
Date Posted: January 24 2006 at 07:01

I know you're joking about Sur La Mer, right?

I gave that disc 1 play back in the 80s and gave it to my sister. The only Moodies I ever disposed of. I also saved the bucks and never bought Keys to the Kingdom.

Posted By: akin
Date Posted: January 24 2006 at 08:00
I voted on On the Threshold of a Dream, although it's a very difficult choice, between the seven first ones.

And without a doubt Days of Future Passed is progressive, maybe the first progressive album of the history. In terms of progression, I think it is the first conceptual album (Sgt Peppers were supposed to be, but the guys admitted that they got tired after the first two songs and recorded regular songs to the album then), first rock album with orchestra and probably the first to use spoken poetry too.  While the other psychedelic albuns of the same time showed that rock 'n roll shouldn't have boundaries and accept every kind of ideas (most drug induced), The Moody Blues showed that rock shouldn't have any boundaries concerning about art, blending rock with orchestra, poetry in a conceptual work. This was revolutionary and was the greatest progression to rock. So if this isn't progressive rock, what is? (long songs with different time signatures? Of course not).

Posted By: ChadFromCanada
Date Posted: January 24 2006 at 10:55
Days of Future Passed has most of their best songs.

Posted By: Paulieg
Date Posted: January 24 2006 at 11:01

Timoth Leary wenk wenk wenk wenk Timoth Leary wenk wenk wenk wenk.  I just love the song "Legend of a Mind."  So I guess my favorite Moodys album is:

In Search Of The Lost Chord.

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: January 24 2006 at 11:18
In Search Of The Lost Chord ... by a long long way actually ...it isn't their "proggiest" ... but it's definitely my favourite

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Posted By: Goldenavatar
Date Posted: January 25 2006 at 00:55
I have to go with In Search of the Lost Chord, but On the Threshold of a Dream is a VERY close second. Why can't the question be, "What are your TWO favorite Moody Blues albums?"?

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 30 2006 at 21:15
oh the power of the search button...

On the Threshold of a Dream for me .....  a great album with the added bonus of Have You Heard/The Voyage.

classic stuff Wink

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: June 30 2006 at 22:09
    "Question" for me. The songs are beautiful, and the message has always touched me (especially that last bit). I know that other albums have more to offer, but I am most likely to listen to this one.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: moodyxadi
Date Posted: June 30 2006 at 22:39
Difficult, but I did for me a single cd with TOCCC and AQOB, and these albums are by now my favs. I voted for AQOB because I can't resist to Question, Melancholy Man and Minstrel song

-------------
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.

Date Posted: July 01 2006 at 04:18
Having expanded my Moodies collection since first voting in this poll, I would say their best album is 'To our childrens childrens children'

-------------

Posted By: _sam_
Date Posted: July 01 2006 at 19:37

To Our Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children's Children...

I love Eyes of a Child and Watching and Waiting!

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: July 02 2006 at 04:44
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

From first to last movement!!!

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 06 2006 at 21:31
hahhah

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: tdreamer
Date Posted: July 07 2006 at 11:38
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Having expanded my Moodies collection since first voting in this poll, I would say their best album is 'To our childrens childrens children'

My vote too.

Posted By: theblastocyst
Date Posted: July 07 2006 at 15:11
    Threshold is one of my favorite records of all time. defiantely in my top 10 if not top 5

Posted By: Liquid Len
Date Posted: July 07 2006 at 17:41
I've really tried to get into these boys, twice I've bought their first seven albums.

Twice I've exchanged them.

Embarrassed

-------------
Can you tell me where my country lies?

Posted By: emersontarkus23
Date Posted: July 08 2006 at 01:32

I love Days of Future Passed, not only because it is a terrific concept prog album, but also because of the historical significance of it being the "first" prog album in 1967. But.. I am also a big fan of On The Threshold of a Dream and In Search of the Lost Chord. Favorite songs include Morning: Another Morning, Night: Nights In White Satin, Dawn: Dawn Is A Feeling, Lovely To See You, Have You Heard, Pts. I and II, Legend of a Mind, Voices in the Sky, and so on. Favorite psychedelic band after Pink Floyd.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk