Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1819
Printed Date: June 10 2024 at 00:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Tool - Lateralus
Posted By: frenchie
Subject: Tool - Lateralus
Date Posted: October 09 2004 at 20:05
I dont want to go into whether tool are prog or not, it seems to have been debated quite a bit but i just wanna talk about this mother of an album. When you listen to it you hear something so amazing that it no longer matters what genre it is. It is someth

-------------
The Worthless Recluse

Replies:
Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: October 10 2004 at 05:29
I've only just got it and have played it twice so far.Really impressed but I couldn't make any meaningfull comments about the music other than it comes across as a well thought out work and the fluidity and brilliance of the playing makes it

Posted By: Petra
Date Posted: October 10 2004 at 13:30

Frenchie, i couldnt have said all that better myself, I'm a big Tool fan and Laturalus is the most played album i have. Its dark, brooding and brilliantly complex. Parabol and Parabola are just suberb, the guitar riff is amazing. I quite

-------------
Don't hate me
I'm not special like you

Posted By: gdub411
Date Posted: October 10 2004 at 23:56

Well I hate to be the only detractor but I didn't care for this album. Aside from Schizm the rest just seemed like fillers to me. I have often wondered if the singer was so involved with his other group, A Perfect Circle ,to put anything worthwhile on t

Posted By: Petra
Date Posted: October 11 2004 at 09:30
[QUOTE=gdub411]

Well I hate to be the only detractor but I didn't care for this album. Aside from Schizm the rest just seemed like fillers to me. I have often wondered if the singer was so involved with his other group, A Perfect Circle ,to put anythin

-------------
Don't hate me
I'm not special like you

Posted By: asuma
Date Posted: October 12 2004 at 16:40
my favourite part of the entire album is parabole to parabola.

-------------
*Remember all advice given by Asuma is for entertainment purposes only. Asuma is not a licensed medical doctor, psychologist, or counselor and he does not play one on TV.*

Posted By: J. Bevington
Date Posted: October 18 2004 at 11:14
Lateralus can only be properly explained to someone who has properly heard it. This is a late-at-night-on-my-headphones album. There is so much complexity and emotion in this album. This is a band that has chosen to properly structure their anger and pain

Posted By: Nizzy
Date Posted: October 19 2004 at 19:20
First time I played it, I was almost moved to tears. Great to know there's somebody out there DOIN' IT with an album that sits comfortably alongside the prog greats from the past. J's right about the headphones too. This stuff is deeeeeeep.

Posted By: Prog_Bassist
Date Posted: October 24 2004 at 18:06
I'd say tool are quite prog in my book.

I own laturalus and aenima and they are both excellent albums.

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY

Posted By: Bryan
Date Posted: October 26 2004 at 02:01
I've been a Tool fan since long before I even knew of the existance of prog.  Aenima remains in my all-time top 5 albums even today, and Lateralus is an incredible prog album.  Apparently they've got a new album coming out in 2005.

Posted By: will
Date Posted: October 27 2004 at 16:04
I dont have any tool albums although i have heard of the band many a time. May have to check them out ,cheers guys.

-------------
Long live progression.
Will

Posted By: Sweetnighter
Date Posted: January 04 2005 at 20:37
I picked this album up on a whim today... and what a good choice it was. I love what this band does... to me, this band takes contemporary metal and makes it art. Its much spacier and they're not too quick to rush into angry outbursts and mad guitar fir

-------------
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend

Posted By: bctruce
Date Posted: January 07 2005 at 13:18

Huge Tool fan here, and I love Lateralus. It's just brilliant. A difficult album, for sure, but that's what I enjoy.

Posted By: GFoyle
Date Posted: January 08 2005 at 11:33
Tool is my clearly favorite band, I have loved pretty much all they have ever done. Seen them twice (once with King Crimson) now and they are also amazing live. It's also the band which made me figure out that I like prog-like music a lot!

Posted By: Giacas
Date Posted: January 10 2005 at 17:55
yeah, top marks to Tool, Lateralus is a classic album

-------------
Look at how they flock to him
From an aisle of open sores
He knows that the taste is such
is such to die for

Posted By: alan_pfeifer
Date Posted: January 11 2005 at 14:47

Anyone know when the new album is comign out?

Posted By: joniox
Date Posted: January 11 2005 at 15:50
Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

Anyone know when the new album is comign out?

...and are KC and Tool going to make some kind of album together?

Posted By: Whoa Is Me
Date Posted: January 12 2005 at 03:36
[QUOTE=gdub411]

Well I hate to be the only detractor but I didn't care for this album. Aside from Schizm the rest just seemed like fillers to me. I have often wondered if the singer was so involved with his other group, A Perfect Circle ,to put anythin

-------------
I too once thought the radio played, Let's act like children while we sleep paralyzed

Date Posted: January 12 2005 at 05:03
No APC is Maynards other band. Like he said they both are his children. Though they were almost breaking up before Lateralus, when Maynard was working with APC and their debut album (remember Lateralus came after that) and the song "Schizm" is actuall

Posted By: progrockgeek
Date Posted: January 13 2005 at 06:29

Originally posted by GFoyle GFoyle wrote:

I haven't heard anything about new Tool album except rumors from this forum, but I hope it is soon as possible.

Check out toolband.com for some tasty little nuggets about the writing of the new album

Posted By: alan_pfeifer
Date Posted: January 13 2005 at 19:51
thanks.  I heard that it was supposed to be heavier than anema, due to their earlier tour with some band called messhugah

Date Posted: January 14 2005 at 04:14
Originally posted by progrockgeek progrockgeek wrote:

Check out toolband.com for some tasty little nuggets about the writing of the new album

Lol, I stopped reading that for a while, the guy who writes it, is just nutty.

editID>GFoy

Posted By: madgo2
Date Posted: January 14 2005 at 20:51
I read the posts here so a couple of weeks ago I decided to go out and buy Lateralus.  It hasn't left my Cd player since.  I love the whole album as I cannot say there is a weak song on it.  I love the interplay between the bass player and g

-------------
He whom life can no longer surprise

Posted By: Dark Hero
Date Posted: January 15 2005 at 23:04
One of my favorite prog albums.

Posted By: Valarius
Date Posted: January 16 2005 at 19:52

"Lateralus" is the only Tool album I have, but I'm afraid it just won't grow on me.

Posted By: madgo2
Date Posted: January 16 2005 at 21:26
Originally posted by Valarius Valarius wrote:

"Lateralus" is the only Tool album I have, but I'm afraid it just won't grow on me.

It took a few listens for me to get really get "into it".  How many

-------------
He whom life can no longer surprise

Posted By: gdub411
Date Posted: January 16 2005 at 23:45
Originally posted by Valarius Valarius wrote:

don't worry...it never grew on me either. I thought it was, as DallasBry

Posted By: aqualung28
Date Posted: January 17 2005 at 00:34

I think Anemia is the Superior album, though Lateralus is more prog

-------------
"O' lady look up in time o' lady look out of love
'n you should have us all
O' you should have us fall"
"Bill's Corpse" By Captain Beefheart

Date Posted: January 17 2005 at 04:24
Originally posted by aqualung28 aqualung28 wrote:

I think Anemia is the Superior album, though Lateralus is more prog

They are different. I got hooked on Tool when I first heard Stinkfist (about the time Aenima came out) and Aenima was with Und

Date Posted: January 17 2005 at 07:32
Originally posted by madgo2 madgo2 wrote:

[QUOTE=Valarius]

It took a few listens for me to get really get "into it".

Date Posted: January 17 2005 at 07:33
Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

[QUOTE=Valarius]

don't worry...it never grew on me either. I thought it w

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk