Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19366
Printed Date: May 16 2024 at 19:26
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: system of a down...
Posted By: Figglesnout
Subject: system of a down...
Date Posted: February 22 2006 at 23:06

well i've always kinda stayed away from this band until lately. and i'm not sure. but i'm rather entranced. i like them. as for if i think they are a progressive band or not.

well i mean, sometimes they definately are progressive--changing times everywhere, tempo changes everywhere, sometimes the lack of real "choruses" and the fact that they are definately a break from the "normal" sound...something fresh.

however, they are just as often annon-progressive, i mean they always sound different, but sometimes the time is always constant, the tempo constant, the lyrics rather punk-like...i dunno it's hard to determine.

personally i'm really nto sure, which i why i added the prog question to the poll. i won't vote until i decide. what do you guys on the site think?

-------------
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case

Replies:
Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: February 22 2006 at 23:20
Poll Question: should system of a down be on progarchives?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [19.35%]
25 [80.65%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Poll Question: Should System of a Down be in the archive?
Vote Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
< id=P14001 = value=14001 name=voteChoice> 3 [8.11%]
< id=P14002 = value=14002 name=voteChoice> 2 [5.41%]
< id=P14003 = value=14003 name=voteChoice> 0 [0.00%]
< id=P14004 = value=14004 name=voteChoice> 32 [86.49%]
< id=P14005 = value=14005 name=voteChoice> 0 [0.00%]

Poll Question: Yes, very much so.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [34.41%]
16 [17.20%]
38 [40.86%]
7 [7.53%]

This at¿re three of the 12 threads about SoaD created in this Forum, each and every one repeats they are not even Prog related.

King Volta, I believe it's more than clear what people here believe, this same month a previous poll abot SOAD has been closed by the Adms.

Iván

BTW: The last one is the older, so please don't argue that opijnions are changing, people is getting more radical against their inclusion.

-------------

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: February 22 2006 at 23:27

"no and they aren’t progressive"

Their vocals are

-------------

Posted By: CryoftheCarrots
Date Posted: February 22 2006 at 23:37
My son plays them all the time and I must admit I like em too now.

Posted By: Destrio
Date Posted: February 22 2006 at 23:46

their okay, slightly progressive

I could see them being here after a few more albums

Posted By: Moatilliatta
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 00:25
Yes, and they are borderline progressive. I'm not sure if they'll ever reach prog officially, but either way, they are creative and unique.

-------------
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph

Posted By: soundspectrum
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 00:56
they are pretty bad.

Posted By: cold103
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 01:01
I don't really like what I know from this band so I'll ask: What's the most prog/cool album of theirs?

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 02:23
Originally posted by king volta king volta wrote:

well i've always kinda stayed away from this band until lately. and i'm not sure. but i'm rather entranced. i like them. as for if i think they are a progressive band or not.

well i mean, sometimes they definately are progressive--changing times everywhere, tempo changes everywhere, sometimes the lack of real "choruses" and the fact that they are definately a break from the "normal" sound...something fresh.

however, they are just as often annon-progressive, i mean they always sound different, but sometimes the time is always constant, the tempo constant, the lyrics rather punk-like...i dunno it's hard to determine.

personally i'm really nto sure, which i why i added the prog question to the poll. i won't vote until i decide. what do you guys on the site think?

That's a nice poll with interesting options!

I'm not really sure what to think of them ... I think that they are progressive, but not really a prog band. I would not include them in the archives, but of course they're on my website - and there I would label them "Progressive Alternative Metal".

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Norbert
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 02:47
I like them, but I would not include them in the Archives.

Posted By: glass house
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 03:07

System of a Down - Progressive Alternative Metal : yes , that is a nice qualification.

By the true meaning of progressive, yes they are ! They have put something new into the metalgenre. B.Y.O.B is one of the best metal songs I heard in years. Imo they don't belong here though.

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 03:12
On my website I of course have the choice - maybe I would just label them "Alternative Metal" and rate some of their songs highly on the progressiveness scale. As a band, I think they are not "serious" enough about their music to qualify as a progressive band.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Starette
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 03:36
Serj may have a very strong voice but the music is just...

-------------
50 tonne angel falls to the earth...

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 08:12

NO

Not prog,not prog related!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------

Posted By: Figglesnout
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 16:31

yeah i agree with everyone. i like the band admittedly after giving them much time but i don't think they c are enough or are progressive enough to be considered a progressive group. and by the way to all of the people acting like i was putting them in for inclusion: geuss what i wasn't!

i never thought they should be in the archives, i was wondering as whether people thought they were a band that was progresing musically. but hey.

i don't think they belong here, but i do think people should maybe give them a bit more time. i hated them for 3 years and now that i've really given them a fair chance not based on others opinions i actually find they aren't bad at all.

-------------
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case

Posted By: Tristan Mulders
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 18:35
Not progressive, like their Mesmerize/Hypnotize albums though, never bothered to listen to the previous ones

-------------
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=784 - HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."

Posted By: Lex C
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 18:42
System of a Down is a good band in their own right, although some songs have progressive elements, they themselves are not progressive, however they still do experiment with sound and odd things, some of the prog hints can be seen in "Cigaro" "Toxicity" and "Vicinity of Obscenity" Perhaps those songs hint at future things to come. I personally believe that if SOAD were to take a Mr. Bungle approach, they may be able to one day be considered true prog, until then, I feel they are experimental metal.

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 18:49
Can't stand them Not nearly prog.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: Viajero Astral
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 19:01
NOT A PROG BAND, but I tink they are good.

-------------

Posted By: Valarius
Date Posted: February 24 2006 at 03:30

"no and they are not prog".

Posted By: ANDREW
Date Posted: February 24 2006 at 08:49
No, and they aren't progressive!!!

Posted By: Wolf Spider
Date Posted: February 24 2006 at 13:23
Good band but are they prog? Me don`t konw, me ask you.

-------------
http://www.lastfm.pl/user/tomash33 - Last.fm

Posted By: ~Rael~
Date Posted: April 14 2006 at 17:08

Well, it seems that many of you just sya they aren't prog because you don't like them.  I find it hard to believe you like every single band in the archives, so why don't you actually say why you don't think they are prog?

I think they are progressive.  For me, progressive is something that is different and sounds like nothing else, especiallt in a genre and time when almost eberything sounds the same.  That is why I think they are progressive.

And I don't think it is correct to say they don't tkae thier music seriously.  What, exactly, is taking your music seriously?  Is Dream Theater what you consider serious, because form what I have heard, I don't.  And what about Primus?  Is that serious?  I don't think one can say what serious is and isn't.  But I would definalty say System is serious, because I think they care and put work into thier music.  They always have a message to send, even in the most bizzare sounding songs. 

For all who said they weren't serious enough, why do you think this?

-------------
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .

Posted By: coffeeintheface
Date Posted: April 14 2006 at 17:32
Originally posted by Wolf Spider Wolf Spider wrote:

Good band but are they prog? Me don`t konw, me ask you.

LOL @ your grammar

-------------
OBQM: www.soundcloud.com/onebigquestionmark (solo project)
nQuixote: www.soundcloud.com/n-quixote (ambient + various musical ideas)

Posted By: Zepology101
Date Posted: April 15 2006 at 16:15

I never personally heard the band, but lIke everyone I know likes them

-------------

Posted By: Barla
Date Posted: April 15 2006 at 21:57
NOT PROG !!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 16 2006 at 03:28
I like them, but they are not prog.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Paul K.
Date Posted: April 16 2006 at 05:34
Like 'em. They are prog actually, within nu-metal genre, of course.

-------------
Weasels ripped my flesh

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: April 16 2006 at 14:53
Originally posted by ~Rael~ ~Rael~ wrote:

Well, it seems that many of you just sya they aren't prog because you don't like them.  I find it hard to believe you like every single band in the archives, so why don't you actually say why you don't think they are prog?

To be exact, the question is divided in two parts:

• Do you like them?
  • Are they Progressive Rock?

Most people (slight majority) has answered Yes I like them by they are not Prog, something with what you don't seem uncomfortable.

The second majority (me included)  has answered No I don't like them AND they are not prog'. This in no way means they are not prog because I don't like them, this was not the question.

I don't like most RIO, but its' a Prog sub-genre.

I think they are progressive.  For me, progressive is something that is different and sounds like nothing else, especiallt in a genre and time when almost eberything sounds the same.  That is why I think they are progressive.

Well, I disagree with your decription, somebody mentioned in another thread Tibet Yodeling, this is different to anything else, but it's not prog, you can like it or not, but this doesn't make them prog.

There are lot of musical bands different and unique but not related with Prog'.

And I don't think it is correct to say they don't tkae thier music seriously.  What, exactly, is taking your music seriously?  Is Dream Theater what you consider serious, because form what I have heard, I don't.  And what about Primus?  Is that serious?  I don't think one can say what serious is and isn't.  But I would definalty say System is serious, because I think they care and put work into thier music.  They always have a message to send, even in the most bizzare sounding songs.

Religious music has a lot of message but it's not Prog, as a fact Christian Rock is 99% message, music is only an instrument to enhance the message, if they were able to reach a great auditorium without music and only with message they will do it.

But again, no relation with Prog. 

For all who said they weren't serious enough, why do you think this?

I don't know if they are serious or not, but not everything in Prog has to be serious, Jeremy Bender, The Sheriff, Harold the Barrell and lots of Jethro Tull are not serious, they have fun with their music.

Thijs Van Leer's vocal sounds are anything but serious (listen Hocus Pocus), but I doubt anybbody will believe Focus are anything but Prog'.

What can be less serious that a grown up man dancing with a flower costume? or a guy playing on a flying Piano and making sounds rubbing a ribbon with his butt?  But early Genesis and ELP are 100% Progressive

So being serious is not a requisite of Progressive Rock.

Iván 

-------------

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: April 16 2006 at 15:01
By and large, if a band is not familiar with the prog community and doesn't keep up with prog releases, they won't ever be prog. People don't just wake up one day and say, "Gee, that one Yes song I heard randomly was pretty cool. I think I'll start writing music like that now." I can tell from System of A Down's past (which is not prog at all) and from their penchant for being tools of the radio/MTV industry, that they will NEVER be prog unless they start listening to prog albums and start caring less about the commercial industry, and I can't ever see this happening.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Mikerinos
Date Posted: April 16 2006 at 15:11
They are as prog as the Easter bunny is real.

-------------

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: April 16 2006 at 15:50
I like some of their tunes, Spiders is a great tune and I do like B.Y.O.B. as well.  But they're not prog to my ears.

I admit, they're different, they have an individual sound and they're recognisable, but that doesn't mean they're prog.

I also believe they do take themselves seriously on occasion.

I heard somewhere (I don't know how true this is), that the last two albums could be their last, because they want to finish their career on a high.

It would be interesting to hear them do prog, but I cannot see it happening.  I think if they did, a lot of people on here would still dislike them.

-------------

Posted By: Kord
Date Posted: June 17 2006 at 04:06
I simply hate them and they aren't prog.....I got headache when I listen to them....

-------------
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5f/Genesis_Group.jpg" border">

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk