Print Page | Close Window

beatles/why???

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19381
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 11:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: beatles/why???
Posted By: Guests
Subject: beatles/why???
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 09:00
 why are people reviewing beatle albums still why  ,let it die please

Replies:
Posted By: FragileDT
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 09:05
please be quite.

-------------
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 09:08

Because they are in the archives,why else?

They are here,they will stay here,they aren't leaving.

MOVE ON.........GET OVER IT.

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 09:09
      U,nless you own this site , I dont need you to tell me to be quite  i have a right to voice my opion...

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 09:14

It's spelled.....Q..U..I..E..T.

-------------

Posted By: JayDee
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 09:24

Originally posted by yankeerose yankeerose wrote:

U,nless you own this site , I dont need you to tell me to be quite  i have a right to voice my opion...

as others have the right to voice their own opinion and review any beatles album thats here in the archives.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 09:52
Originally posted by Majestic_Mayhem Majestic_Mayhem wrote:

as others have the right to voice their own opinion and review any beatles album thats here in the archives.

Well said. Actually, I'm not in favour of proto-prog albums being included in the PA Top 100, but since the Beatles are here, and they happen to be something I know a lot about, then I will continue to review them.

So there.

And why is this in Prog Polls?

Posted By: mission4prog
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 11:59

it's called a spell checker.  try it.

i agree: no Beatles.

m4p

-------------
"The hypocrites are slandering the sacred halls of Truth."

Posted By: Flip_Stone
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 13:06

Yeah, including The Beatles on this site is one of those strange things that happens in life (like when when people spontaneously combust).  You can't logically explain it.  You just have to deal with the rulers of the webrealm and whatever rationale they are using...

Posted By: Atkingani
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 14:55

My personal opinion:

Unlike many other progressive sites (no matter in what language), ProgArchives also cares about the History of Progressive Rock, which means that proto-prog bands and artists are being included so the genre we like may be seen as an entity with a natural beginning, a real genesis. Prog-rock was not artificially created, it did not appear from nothing or nowhere. Consequently all influences and contributions shall be taken in account. A similar thinking may be applied to prog-related bands and artists.

Instead of complaining about the inclusion of A or B, members should post suggestions of how to deal with proto-prog and/or prog-related stuff, always remembering that a suggestion is something to be evaluated by others not a law to be followed.

End of my personal opinion.

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 15:26
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

My personal opinion:

Unlike many other progressive sites (no matter in what language), ProgArchives also cares about the History of Progressive Rock, which means that proto-prog bands and artists are being included so the genre we like may be seen as an entity with a natural beginning, a real genesis. Prog-rock was not artificially created, it did not appear from nothing or nowhere. Consequently all influences and contributions shall be taken in account. A similar thinking may be applied to prog-related bands and artists.

Instead of complaining about the inclusion of A or B, members should post suggestions of how to deal with proto-prog and/or prog-related stuff, always remembering that a suggestion is something to be evaluated by others not a law to be followed.

End of my personal opinion.

Well said.

My feeling is that proto-prog albums should not be included in the PA Top 500, as the inclusion of The Beatles has left us open to the possibility, however unlikely, of Please Please Me being in the prog charts, which would frankly be nonsense.

Okay I've said my piece, I'm off to review another Beatles album now.

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 16:02
Originally posted by Flip_Stone Flip_Stone wrote:

Yeah, including The Beatles on this site is one of those strange things that happens in life (like when when people spontaneously combust).  You can't logically explain it.  You just have to deal with the rulers of the webrealm and whatever rationale they are using...

People don't really "spontaneously combust," BTW -- that's Victorian legend/superstition. IMO.Stern Smile

It's impossible, and, to my knowledge, there are no modern, well-documented cases of it.Geek

So there!

Wink

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 17:15
Originally posted by mission4prog mission4prog wrote:

m4p

I doubt that a spell checker would tell you when you confuse quite and quiet.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Peter
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 17:34
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by mission4prog mission4prog wrote:

m4p

I doubt that a spell checker would tell you when you confuse quite and quiet.

True -- both are real words. A grammar-checking program would be needed.Geek

-------------
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.

Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 17:48

The grammar-checking program is a great tool but it helps little in my first language: Portuguese.

A simple regular verb like 'andar' (to walk) has 56 single different forms (not counting the composed and reflexive forms) and we have to memorize them all at school.

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 17:48
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Originally posted by Flip_Stone Flip_Stone wrote:

People don't really "spontaneously combust," BTW -- that's Victorian legend/superstition. IMO.Stern Smile

It's impossible, and, to my knowledge, there are no modern, well-documented cases of it.Geek

So there!

Wink

It is so true - I saw it in a South Park episode!

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 19:21

The grammar-checking program is a great tool but it helps little in my first language: Portuguese.

A simple regular verb like 'andar' (to walk) has 56 single different forms (not counting the composed and reflexive forms) and we have to memorize them all at school.

Andar here means to move about/ move forward.. thats nice.. actually some of  our words are spanish sounding (philippines was colonized by the spaniards for more than 300 years) we have words like: Lababo (sink ie kitchen sink) Lamesa (table) Abre lata (can opener) Abre botelya (bottle opener) and others...

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2006 at 20:15

Andar here means to move about/ move forward.. thats nice.. actually some of  our words are spanish sounding (philippines was colonized by the spaniards for more than 300 years) we have words like: Lababo (sink ie kitchen sink) Lamesa (table) Abre lata (can opener) Abre botelya (bottle opener) and others...

Portuguese & Spanish: andar; Italian: andare; French: aller... all have the same origin: the good old Latin, a great language.

Portuguese and Spanish are close but not so close as many people think. The language that's closer to Portuguese is the Gallego, spoken in Galiza, Northern Spain. Some say that Gallego is a dialect; but the main differences between language and dialect are ships and guns.

P.S.: the language you talk I believe to be the tagalog. Am I sure?

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Posted By: dralan
Date Posted: February 24 2006 at 11:14

why are people reviewing beatle albums still why  ,let it die please

The same reason people are still reviewing Yes and Genesis albums from 30+ years ago. Because its timeless, awesome music. You wouldnt have King Crimson or ELP without the standard set by Sgt. Pepper or Revolver. Well you might but I guarantee you popular music would have been alot different without the Beatles influence of artistic merit in rock-n-roll music.

Posted By: PROGMAN
Date Posted: February 24 2006 at 12:58
Because they are one of the main pioneers in dveloping PROG music, maybe they didn't think in consideration that it would be called PROG/PROGRESSIVE music at that time!

-------------
CYMRU AM BYTH

Date Posted: February 24 2006 at 13:54
 HOW CAN YOU PUT GENESIS & YES IN THE SAME CATORGORY AS THE BEATLES??

Date Posted: February 24 2006 at 20:11

Originally posted by ginnyman ginnyman wrote:

HOW CAN YOU PUT GENESIS & YES IN THE SAME CATORGORY AS THE BEATLES??

They're not... Beatles are categorized as a proto-prog band, a very special sub-genre while Yes and Genesis are included in Symphonic Prog, a real progressive sub-genre.

-------------
Guigo

~~~~~~

Date Posted: February 25 2006 at 18:44

Portuguese & Spanish: andar; Italian: andare; French: aller... all have the same origin: the good old Latin, a great language.

Portuguese and Spanish are close but not so close as many people think. The language that's closer to Portuguese is the Gallego, spoken in Galiza, Northern Spain. Some say that Gallego is a dialect; but the main differences between language and dialect are ships and guns.

P.S.: the language you talk I believe to be the tagalog. Am I sure?

yes siree!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk