Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19750
Printed Date: May 08 2024 at 15:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: wishbone ash..
Posted By: Guests
Subject: wishbone ash..
Date Posted: March 03 2006 at 10:44
wishbone ash on tour new cd  ""clan destiny"" out soon   I dont know how to take this band any comments

Replies:
Posted By: daz2112
Date Posted: March 03 2006 at 12:36
fantastic band love them 2 bits!! I am going to see them again in 3 weeks! looking forward to new album! must admit i do prefer the early stuff Pilgrimage,Argus,4 etc. if you look on polls i did a "what's your fave album?"

-------------
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole

Posted By: Possessed
Date Posted: March 03 2006 at 13:33

The early albums are the best:

Wishbone Ash

Pilgrimmage

Argus

These mid-period albums I also like:

There's The Rub

New England

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: March 03 2006 at 14:12
I like "New England" a lot. Also their live album "Live Dates".

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: March 03 2006 at 14:19
I grew up with the 2-LP Live Dates in the early Seventies, a friend of mine owned it and played it very often. I love the dual guitar work and pleasant vocals, very warm music. Argus is my favorite studio album. Later their music turned into a bit more harder-edged and less subtle (in my opinion) but they are still worth listening and watching, perhaps I will attend their forthcoming concert in De Boerderij near The Hague, Holland. They are very popular in my country.

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: March 03 2006 at 15:19

'Argus' is their definitive album amongst fans I believe, and I'd definitely agree with that. However, all of their first 3 studio albums are top notch and the classic 'Live Dates'. The albums I've heard after that are very patchy though imo.

However, their last CD 'Bona Fide' was actually a 'bona fide' return to form, building on the better songs from their '97 album 'Illuminations'. Two songs from 'Bona Fide' were as good as anythin on 'Argus' for me- 'Ancient Remedy' and 'Come Rain, Come Shine'. I'm optimistic about this new album- it may even be better than that superb last album.

Posted By: Fragile
Date Posted: March 03 2006 at 15:25

Their first 3 albums were all prog with Argus one of the best rock albums ever made.They were the first band to use twin lead guitars I think.They are touring and I will see them next Thursday at the Renfrew Ferry Glasgow.Shrinkking Violet is going and we are on their guest list.They are a fantastic live band.

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: March 03 2006 at 15:35
Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

Their first 3 albums were all prog with Argus one of the best rock albums ever made.They were the first band to use twin lead guitars I think.They are touring and I will see them next Thursday at the Renfrew Ferry Glasgow.Shrinkking Violet is going and we are on their guest list.They are a fantastic live band.

I agree on the prog angle, but I think there were many bands to use twin guitars prior to Wishbone Ash- The Allman Brothers, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Jefferson Airplane, Man and The Grateful Dead come to mind. But yeah, Wishbone Ash had a definite unique style to the way they employed the twin guitar and it would prove very influential to heavy metal bands- just check out Judas Priest and Iron Maiden to name but two!

Posted By: Fragile
Date Posted: March 03 2006 at 17:11

Cheers Salmacis, I did say I think they were first, not heard too much of of the bands you have mentioned apart from Jefferson Airplane.Maiden have their moments

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: March 04 2006 at 03:18
I saw them last year ,very enjoyable gig ,so I'll be back for more this month! (this time I won't clap in the middle of Phoenix  )

Posted By: daz2112
Date Posted: March 04 2006 at 07:26
I'll be at Cox's Yard,Stratford Upon Avon 21st March

-------------
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: March 04 2006 at 08:05
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

I agree on the prog angle, but I think there were many bands to use twin guitars prior to Wishbone Ash- The Allman Brothers, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Jefferson Airplane, Man and The Grateful Dead come to mind. But yeah, Wishbone Ash had a definite unique style to the way they employed the twin guitar and it would prove very influential to heavy metal bands- just check out Judas Priest and Iron Maiden to name but two!

Probably the first band that used doublelead guitar were the Yardbirds. 3 very important rock guitarists played in the Yardbirds: Eric Clapton (think of him what you will, but he was important in rock), Jimmi Page and Jeff Beck.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk