Print Page | Close Window

"In the Court" the first real prog album?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=19942
Printed Date: May 23 2024 at 14:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "In the Court" the first real prog album?
Posted By: LakesideRitchie
Subject: "In the Court" the first real prog album?
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:21

Was KC's "In the Court of the Crimson King" the first real prog album ever, as is often said? The problem is in the definition for progressive music. Was it really the Beatles, The Moody Blues or Procol Harum who were first? IMHO The Beatles were progressive in a way, so their presence on this site is just, but if you define progressive music as music that will hardly hit the charts, often containing long tracks, mostly instumental, with a high rate of "anti-notes", King Crimson was certaintly the first band to release a real "prog" album with a capital "P" !!!

Replies:
Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:48
King Crimson their first album has obvious echoes from Colosseum and The Moody Blues, these bands along with The Nice, Vanilla Fudge and Procol Harum spearheaded the progressive rock movement in my opinion. Perhaps you can say that In The Court Of The Crimson King was the first symphonic rock album?

Posted By: akin
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 12:50
Originally posted by LakesideRitchie LakesideRitchie wrote:

Was KC's "In the Court of the Crimson King" the first real prog album ever, as is often said? The problem is in the definition for progressive music. Was it really the Beatles, The Moody Blues or Procol Harum who were first? IMHO The Beatles were progressive in a way, so their presence on this site is just, but if you define progressive music as music that will hardly hit the charts, often containing long tracks, mostly instumental, with a high rate of "anti-notes", King Crimson was certaintly the first band to release a real "prog" album with a capital "P" !!!

Progressive will hardly hit the charts? Nope. Lots of progressive rock albuns from seventies were number one or at least in Top 40.

Long tracks? Not at all. Gentle Giant rarely did songs over 7 minutes and they are for sure progressive.

Mostly instrumental? There is no relation between the progressive and the instrumental parts. Some songs like The Battle of Epping Forest, Thick as a Brick, A Passion Play, Most of the Zappa work for example, have huge lyrics and the instrumental parts don't last too much.

Well, if you define progressive rock the way you said above, ok. The problem is that those things mentioned are not the characteristics of progressive rock for great part of progressive rock fans. And the term was created when these bands were all mainstream and lots of other bands were considered progressive rock.  The definition is more subjective than objective and it was made almost 40 years ago, so it's difficult to us now determine what is progressive rock or not. To some, maybe Genesis, Yes, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Emerson, Lake and Palmer and King Crimson don't fit in his own definition of progressive rock. But we all know that Yes, Genesis, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, etc. were synonym of progressive rock at their time and even nowadays.

Posted By: eddietrooper
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 13:16
King Crimson's first album showed clear similarities with The Moody Blues, specially in the musical atmosphere of songs like Epitaph and In the Court of the Crimson King. But the difference is the greater musicianship and much more complexity of King Crimson's musical structures. From that point of view I would consider it as the first true prog rock album.

Posted By: BebieM
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 13:34
First prog album? CERTAINLY!

Best prog album? maybe ....

Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 14:45
Originally posted by eddietrooper eddietrooper wrote:

King Crimson's first album showed clear similarities with The Moody Blues, specially in the musical atmosphere of songs like Epitaph and In the Court of the Crimson King. But the difference is the greater musicianship and much more complexity of King Crimson's musical structures. From that point of view I would consider it as the first true prog rock album.

Greater musicianship and more complexity? Ok, a great number of Moody Blues songs are short, but the longer songs like House of Four Doors/Legend of a Mind, Om, Have You Heard/The Voyage/Have you Heard, My Song show great musicianship and complexity. The main difference probably is that Moody Blues did conceptual albuns with lots of songs while King Crimson did long conceptual songs.

Posted By: ken4musiq
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 14:47

People need a place to start and this album, which hit the 25 spot in America was a popular album and this a place to start.  I think there is a problem when you start to define the history of a genre by the points of entry into the mainstream or to limit it by key moments or artists.

The Court was one of the earliest recordings to use 16 tracks.  Sgt. Peppers used eight and before that the Beatles used four. In its day, it must have made quite an impact.  Instrumentally it is unique for a rock album.  Ian McDonald used a range of reeds including the bass clarinet, which Miles had used on Bitch's Brew. With the layered tracking it is quite interesting.  Michael Giles is also one of the great (the great) prog rock drummers. His use of the cymbals and reliance on the tom toms is quite innovative. He often does not play a basic rock beat but comes up with an interesting way to create a rhythmic track with the cymbals, snare, toms and highhat. Bruford learned a lot from him, I am sure. The use of the mellotron throughout it also quite distinctive.  It often has these repetitive themes that give it an ethereal, surreal quality and grants the album a contemplative pallette.

It is strange that people consider the jazz aspects of this album as innovative when it is really only the opening track that has an extended jazz-like solo and the instrumental stuff on this album is not something that you would hear in jazz, I don't think so at least. That whole choppy rhythymic bit, for example. It is something you would hear in progressive rock.

Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 15:02

Originally posted by akin akin wrote:

Greater musicianship and more complexity? Ok, a great number of Moody Blues songs are short, but the longer songs like House of Four Doors/Legend of a Mind, Om, Have You Heard/The Voyage/Have you Heard, My Song show great musicianship and complexity. The main difference probably is that Moody Blues did conceptual albuns with lots of songs while King Crimson did long conceptual songs.

The moody Blues, which I like very much, never wrote anything remotely near the complexity and originality of "21st Century Shizoid man". This song by itself was , by my point of view, a revolutionary change in the way to understand music, and there was no other piece of music like that at that time. Laregely more revolutionary than any release by the Moodies. In fact the Moody Blues didn't show much evolution along their seven classic albums. Take the seven first albums by King Crimson and you'll realize that they were really exploring a new genre adding new aspects in each release, unlike the Moodies.

Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 15:12
Well, I think the Moody Blues albuns are unique instrumentally too, see the quantity of instruments played and their complete integration to the songs (for example, sitar is much better incorporated than in Beatles). The use of Mellotrons as Crimson uses was first made by Moody Blues.  They strenghtened the use of wind instruments in rock (most of their early songs have flute, some of them long passages).  Many consider Days of Future Passed the first prog. Others think it is Sgt Peppers. Others Zappa's Freak Out.  If anyone can listen to Seventh Sons' album Raga, will see that it is pretty progressive (indo-folk genre), and it is from 64. 

I think the main importance in this discussion is to not consider any of these albuns the first pure progressive and so on. Because many people has prejudice against the bands considered "proto-prog" because they think every band will sound just psychedelic like Sgt Peppers, while, of course, The Nice, Procol Harum and Moody Blues were miles ahead The Beatles at those times.

Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 15:16

The moody Blues, which I like very much, never wrote anything remotely near the complexity and originality of "21st Century Shizoid man". This song by itself was , by my point of view, a revolutionary change in the way to understand music, and there was no other piece of music like that at that time. Laregely more revolutionary than any release by the Moodies. In fact the Moody Blues didn't show much evolution along their seven classic albums. Take the seven first albums by King Crimson and you'll realize that they were really exploring a new genre adding new aspects in each release, unlike the Moodies.

21th century schizoid man is not so complex, just a agressive main riff and jazz avantgarde solos in the middle. It is a great song for sure.

And King Crimson has many differences mainly because of the changes in the line up. The first four are like a mixture of the pompous mellotron-based compositions (which Moodies did very well) and jazz. Then with Brufford and Wetton, the music changed much, but it is easy to understand: only Fripp remained.

Posted By: Viajero Astral
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 15:19
IMO, ITCOTCK was the first great Progresive Rock album, but not the first prog album, the Prog Rock start with those bands of the end of 60's. The best doesnt mean the first.

-------------

Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 15:19

Well, I think the Moody Blues albuns are unique instrumentally too, see the quantity of instruments played and their complete integration to the songs (for example, sitar is much better incorporated than in Beatles). The use of Mellotrons as Crimson uses was first made by Moody Blues.  They strenghtened the use of wind instruments in rock (most of their early songs have flute, some of them long passages).  Many consider Days of Future Passed the first prog. Others think it is Sgt Peppers. Others Zappa's Freak Out.  If anyone can listen to Seventh Sons' album Raga, will see that it is pretty progressive (indo-folk genre), and it is from 64. 

I think the main importance in this discussion is to not consider any of these albuns the first pure progressive and so on. Because many people has prejudice against the bands considered "proto-prog" because they think every band will sound just psychedelic like Sgt Peppers, while, of course, The Nice, Procol Harum and Moody Blues were miles ahead The Beatles at those times.

Yes, that's true. People who don't give a listen to bands like The moody Blues or Procol Harum just because they are "not true prog bands" don't know what they are missing. I highly recommend all these albums. Who cares which one was "real prog" after all.

Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 15:30
Of course, what matters to me is that I have all the Moody Blues, Procol Harum and King Crimson albuns from that time.

Posted By: 1-Armed Scissor
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 15:37

Progressive seems like a really broad genre so i dunno. I mean, the original term is only meant to say that its "entirely new stuff"

its too bad that that is King Crimson's best record and the others are sort of downhill from there

Posted By: video vertigo
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 15:59

The first prog album was Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues, clearly.

-------------
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 16:47

I think the first "real" prog album was Frank Zappa - Lumpy Gravy (1967).

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Rashikal
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 17:03
King Crimson's In The Court of The Crimson King is easily the most progressive album in all of prog, it created symphonic prog, heavy metal, and vocal distortion at the same time. Was it first? That's hard to say. I would call it the most prog out of early prog, and the best.

Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 17:07

Originally posted by Rashikal Rashikal wrote:

King Crimson's In The Court of The Crimson King is easily the most progressive album in all of prog, it created symphonic prog, heavy metal, and vocal distortion at the same time. Was it first? That's hard to say. I would call it the most prog out of early prog, and the best.

Posted By: Witchwoodhermit
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 17:15

Days of Futures Past- Moody Blues. The blueprint of progressive rock.

-------------
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.

Posted By: The Ryan
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 17:18
With any genre that chooses to take mainstream by storm, often the creator of the genre isn't the breakthrough. Nirvana fits this mold as they didn't make that grungey-90's sound they had, the band was marketable as was King Crimson and the beginning of punk, and even the rock stars of the late 50s/early 60s (50s?! yes). The inventers are typically left in the dark, perhaps never even putting an album out, but In The Court of the Crimson King definitely gave the public what progressive rock was to be popular in years to come, and for that little piece of fame people say 'this is the first progressive rock album'. I disagree with it being the first album, but they were probably the first to claim major success with a prog-rock sound.

Posted By: Mikerinos
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 17:26
I think Soft Machine's debut is every bit as "proggy" as ITCOTCK.

Posted By: Zac M
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 17:29
Originally posted by Bluesaga Bluesaga wrote:

I think Soft Machine's debut is every bit as "proggy" as ITCOTCK.

Yes, of course, you're right. Their debut was the most inventive and innovative album to come out at the time. People just dismiss it over ITCOTCK because the KC album is sort of symphonic and Vol. 1 isn't. Symphonic doesn't always mean Prog people. Surely, someone agrees with me...

EDIT: I should say Prog doesn't always have to be Symphonic.

-------------
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 17:46
Here we go again with this topic. Does anyone out there know when this obviously ambiguous title " progressive rock" was first used and who it initially applied to? I sure as heck  don`t. In my opinion ( and everyone has one ) it has to be The Nice. The did a lot of " proggy " thing before anyone else such as playing with a symphony orchestra, mixing rock stylings with the classics and playing long extended pieces. Face it we`ll never all agree on this one.

-------------

Posted By: Flip_Stone
Date Posted: March 07 2006 at 19:23

Hmmm.  This thread has been repeated to a nauseating degree, and shows up anew every few months.  It sure would be good to limit the topics so they we don't have to keep "reinventing the wheel" and rediscussing the same things over and over.

Well.....that said, I don't think you're going to get agreement as to the "first prog. album".  It's just too subjective and varies with opinion from one person to the next.  The best you can do is agree that there was a progressive movement that started forming in the years 1966-1969.  Before 1969's ITKOTCK, you had albums like The Moody Blues 1968 "In Search of the Lost Chord" and the The Mothers of Invention 1967 "We're Only in it For the Money", just to name a few.  There wasn't some big cosmic explosion and whallah "prog now exists".  It evolved over a few years until 1970 when it really took off.

Again, many people on this site are looking for simple ways to look at music (black/white, on/off, yes/no, best/worst, etc.)  There's lots of flow within prog, and it doesn't lend itself well to the naive and simplistic approach of making everything fit in nice little boxes for our convenience...

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 16:23

No, For me the first VERY prog album is:

THE NICE

THOUGH OF EMERLIST DAVJACK

But IN THE COURT OF THE CRIMSON KING is the FIRST album of ADULT PROG!

Posted By: Progger
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 16:28

Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

King Crimson their first album has obvious echoes from Colosseum and The Moody Blues, these bands along with The Nice, Vanilla Fudge and Procol Harum spearheaded the progressive rock movement in my opinion. Perhaps you can say that In The Court Of The Crimson King was the first symphonic rock album?

Absolutely spot on! You certainly know about the history of progressive music! Alll those bands and others predate ITCOTCK by at least two years!

I would also add that The Nice's 'Five Bridges' was the first concept album by a prog band!

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: March 12 2006 at 03:39
Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Traffic, Hendrix (1983... A Merman I Shall Turn To Be) and some Jazz based bands like Colosseum, Keef Hartley Band and even Fleetwood Mac, have all been influential to the prog rock sound.  People in the late '60s wanted something different and this what they got.  As people have said, it developed, it didn't just arrive with King Crimson.  The same with Rock and Roll, it didn't just arrive from nowhere.

Don't forget VdGG's first album (Aerosol Grey Machine) was released in 1969 and two of the tracks off that album were recorded in January 1969 (Afterwards and Necromancer).  Admittedly they're not as advanced as some of the stuff off ITCOTCK, but again, it's still a forerunner and influential.  Then you had stuff with prog tendencies, like early Floyd, The Koobas, Iron Butterfly, The Misunderstood, Juicy Lucy, Giles, Giles and Fripp and many more.

There is no definitive answer.  But ITCOTCK was certainly brilliant and influential and broke a mold in a way.

-------------

Posted By: Losendos
Date Posted: March 12 2006 at 07:08

my opinion is yes. The nice, procul harem and the Moody Blues did pop with progressive elements.

But ITCOTKC was a landmark in that there was no attempt at a hit, nothing radio friendly just prog throughout.A new genre was born.

It is the first album soley in the prog vain. It sent a benchmark for other bands. Genesis started by trying to sound like the moody blues but Trespass, Nursey Cryme and Foxtrot were in similar vain to ITCOTKC as being pure prog. But in SEBTP they had more fool me and I know what I like which were attempts at radio friendly .

By the late 70s the pure prog of ITCOTKC was no longer fashionable.

Apparently February was the 30th anniversary of the birth of punk. The article mentioned three things about the music scene at that time

1 DSOTM had been in the charts for 144 weeks

2 Rick Wakeman was doing myths and legends om ice at Wembley

and 3 Johnny Rotten was wearing a I hate pink Floyd tee shirt.

So it seems 1969 to 1977 was the era of prog

So I think the genre we love took birth with ITCOTKC though the roots were there earlier.

So in 2009 let us celebrate 40 years of prog

-------------
How wonderful to be so profound

Posted By: LakesideRitchie
Date Posted: March 13 2006 at 15:40

Alright, lots of you have made their point. Maybe my question was not very original, but hey, I'm rather new here! And alright, my definition of prog is subjective. I'm sorry, but to me KC is synonim to prog with lots of symphonic elements. Don't get me wrong. I don't hate more popular music like Pink Floyd's: both prog and sometimes commercial too. In fact, I love 'm. Still I prefer their less commercial tracks. Like with Genesis. The Peter Gabriel era was to me their best.

All of you will agree with me on the fact that King Crimson is, as far as I know, the only progband without real wide public commercial succes. The already mentioned album ITCOTCK was probably their greatest succes.

Posted By: Flip_Stone
Date Posted: March 13 2006 at 18:52

There was no "first real prog. album".  Get used to it!

Posted By: Garion81
Date Posted: March 13 2006 at 19:09

I am not saying the first but the band Touch recorded a self titled album in 1968 with an early 1969 release date that boy, I tell you there are parts that sound like Yes and Genesis in there.  The organ sound was almost identical to Keith Emerson's the vocals in parts were uncannily like Jon Anderson. The band only made this one album and disbanded because they felt they couldn't recreate the music live.  Remember no mellotron or synths on this and surely was influenced by psychedelic music as they were from America. Someone asked when the term  progressive rock was first used and it really described a time period.  Form 1966-75 there was a lot of progressive rock. Growing up in that time we used the term for a lot of different things.  

-------------

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk