Print Page | Close Window

First impression of Camel’s Mirage

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20086
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 07:22
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: First impression of Camel’s Mirage
Posted By: Empathy
Subject: First impression of Camel’s Mirage
Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 21:47

WOW!

I'm completely blown away!!

I already have The Snow Goose, which I like more with every listen, but Mirage just clobbered me right from the beginning! The psychedelic section at the end of
"Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider" almost made me drive off the road. Plus, I've had "Freefall" stuck in my head for almost 3 hours now.

Oddly, one of my first reactions was anger that I'd never heard of this excellent band before I discovered the Archives!

Thank you, Prog Archives!!

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Replies:
Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 21:59
Camel is a very good underrated band.

Posted By: Nipsey88
Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 22:05
Camel owns.

Discovered these guys in college, when my boss at the pizza delivery place I worked at invited me to hang out one night. After many bong hits, he broke out Moonmadness. I had never heard of Camel before, and I was blown away! Since those hedonistic days, I own most of their catalog, and Mirage is among my faves.

Congrats on your discovery, and in addition to the two you already have, check out the aforementioned Moonmadness, Nude, and A Live Record.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Nipsey88/?chartstyle=myspace02" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 22:22
Camel is one of the few prog band from the 70s that still play at the same level of "goodness" in the 90s - 00s

get Moonmadness next

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 22:30
Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

WOW!

I'm completely blown away!!

I already have The Snow Goose, which I like more with every listen, but Mirage just clobbered me right from the beginning! The psychedelic section at the end of
"Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider" almost made me drive off the road. Plus, I've had "Freefall" stuck in my head for almost 3 hours now.

Oddly, one of my first reactions was anger that I'd never heard of this excellent band before I discovered the Archives!

Thank you, Prog Archives!!

hahahahha   Great album... was my intro to them as well and Freefall was stuck in my head to... then there was Lady Fantasy.   Go next to Snow Goose.. another classic album.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Empathy
Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 22:58
Yep, already got Snow Goose, next is Moonmadness! 

Nipsey, I'm sorry you've renounced your "days of Hedonism".

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 10 2006 at 23:11
Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

Yep, already got Snow Goose, next is Moonmadness! 

Nipsey, I'm sorry you've renounced your "days of Hedonism".

(missed that hahahha).

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: kane83
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 00:36

mirage was the first album I got by them and it is excellent!

I got moonmadness 2 weeks ago IMHO not as good as mirage but still very good

I'm awaiting The Snow Goose and hope it is as good as everyone says

I'm having a hard time imageing it being as good as mirage

it's still a little know to me (2-3 mouths) but one of my faves.

-------------
with all your giving, all your giving is the answer - Tull

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 00:37
Mirage  is a great album.That was my impression at first too...Camel at its best.

-------------

Posted By: Zac M
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 00:44
It is rare when I consider a band's best work a live album, but in the case of Camel, I'd have to say that A Live Record is my favorite Camel album, truly a masterpiece. If anything, get it for the magnificent performance of The Snow Goose live, really incredible!

-------------
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty

Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 00:45
if The Snow Goose is as good as mirage I will be very poor.

-------------

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 00:49
^ Snow Goose is even better.........so.......

-------------

Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 01:37
I can't wait for it in the mail then it's killing me

-------------

Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 01:38
I guess I gotta buy everything they got

-------------

Posted By: nobody
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 03:07

Lifelong proghead who never heard Camel until last week, when I bought this expanded CD.

I am really liking the live "Snow Goose" stuff!

-------------
"Some of you are going to die... martyrs, of course, to the Freedom I will provide!"

Posted By: Paleviper
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 03:13
Excelent Album brought first 20 years ago and then again recently still just as good

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Paleviper/?chartstyle=basicrt10">

Posted By: Tony Fisher
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 04:48
Whatever you do, before you buy the Snow Goose, get Paul Gallico's short story which inspired the album and read it (most libraries have it). You may well need a box of tissues as well. (Snow Goose is very different to Mirage and Moonmadness, but all 3 are absolutely brilliant.)

Until you know the story, you can't really appreciate just how brilliant their interpretation is.

All the morons who trash the Snow Goose (1* ratings are frankly the work of idiots) are simply too thick or ignorant to read the story and understand that the album is gentle and emotional because it interprets a gentle, emotional story. How they succeed without lyrics is amazing. That's why I rate the Goose the best album of all time and Camel the best band.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 05:15

Not a Snow Goose fan.

Mirage however is excellent.

Also a stupendously good live album is "Never Let Go". If you don't like "Dust and Dreams" though it could be a problem. The whole of CD 2 is that album in entirety.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Ounamahl
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 05:18
I only have The Snow Goose, but my father has Mirage on vinyl. I think both of them are excellent.

-------------
This is an electrified fairytale

Posted By: Pafnutij
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 06:11

Very good album (at least for the early 70s). I thought it sucked on the first few listens, but it grew on me pretty quickly.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 06:18

Fairly good album. Nimrodel is the best tune ;)

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 06:57
Fantastic album. However, my favorite Camel album is still their debut, probably the most underated album in Prog History.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: March 11 2006 at 17:54
I now have both and I've yet to listen to either, I have a long list of unplayed albums... which do you suggest I play first?

Mirage or The Snow Goose?

Not heard any Camel before, but I do know the late Peter Bardens was a good friend of Peter Green, so I will definitely like them.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk