Forum Description: Performance Reviews by Members
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=20921
Printed Date: May 24 2024 at 15:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dream Theater, Philadelphia 28 March 2006
Posted By: Padraic
Subject: Dream Theater, Philadelphia 28 March 2006
Date Posted: March 29 2006 at 08:38
I was fortunate enough to spend last evening with Dream Theater.  I bought a pair of tickets, and in the end I couldn't unload the second one, but I only paid $60 for the pair and each ticket was $50 through Ticketmaster.  So, an extra $10 doesn't hurt.  This was at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia, a small venue that maybe seats 1500-2000 people.  I was in the 11th row in the orchestra right, in the aisle between the center and right sections.  Forgive me if these descriptions duplicate some of the other reviews.  As the lights went down and the curtain rose, a montage of the past 20 years of Dream Theater went up on the screen, and then the guys took the stage and opened with "The Root of All Evil".  Started pretty good, it's not among my favorite tracks on the new album, but whatever.  Then things got interesting.  They went all the way back to the days when they were called Majesty and played a song from that time (from other sites I think it's called "Another Won").  The set list then went in chronological order, which helps me a lot in remembering!  Before the first intermission, we were treated to:

"A Fortune in Lies"
"Take the Time"
"Caught in a Web"

"Peruvian Skies" (with a bit of "Wish You Were Here" and "Wherever I May Roam" thrown in)

"Raise the Knife" (first time I ever heard this, it was absolutely awesome.  Apparently it was an outtake from the Falling into Infinity sessions.)

then the first set ended with "Home".  Such a strong finish, they were brilliant on this.  By this time I was really going nuts with my various air instruments.

The second set began with the introduction to "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" before the guys came back on stage, at which point they launched into "War Inside My Head" and "The Test That Stumped Them All".  This was followed by "Endless Sacrifice", which was among my favorites of the evening.  The three songs that opened the second act were so unbelievable - Portnoy flying all over the kit and having a great time (always had a big smile on his face), Petrucci and Myung flying (when they "dualed", as it were, that was so great), the tradeoff guitar/keyboard solos between Petrucci and Rudess - and let me add, as other posters have done, that LaBrie was in fine form, and in fact it was probably the best vocal performance I've heard from him live (I've been to two other shows).

The second set ended really strong; you know, based on what they did it was clear I haven't given Octavarium enough spins and have been ignoring it too much.

"I Walk Beside You"
"Sacrificed Sons"
"Octavarium"

Jordan's keyboard solo for the intro to Octavarium was stunning, the use of the continuum board and the "slide guitar" made for incredible, moving sounds that really set the mood.  Then we all went nuts as John came out with his double neck - what progger worth his/her salt doesn't love the double neck?   They were nice enough to come out for an encore, ending the show in brilliant fashion with "Wait for Sleep" and "Learning to Live".

Like I said, the performance on the last three songs were really, really great, especially the last two; it made me grab Octavarium for the car when I got home so I could get into it more.

What can I say?  I think I still favor the time I saw them perform the entire SFAM, but this was an incredible performance, seeing them go one by one through their catalog was a real treat.  They're finishing up the world tour on Saturday night at Radio City Music Hall, and I think a DVD will come out of that performance (correct me if I'm wrong), so everyone can enjoy!

Replies:
Posted By: Rushman
Date Posted: March 29 2006 at 09:21

Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

They're finishing up the world tour on Saturday night at Radio City Music Hall, and I think a DVD will come out of that performance (correct me if I'm wrong)...

You are correct, and I will be there!

Posted By: FragileDT
Date Posted: March 29 2006 at 09:27
Originally posted by Rushman Rushman wrote:

They're finishing up the
world tour on Saturday night at Radio City Music Hall, and I think a DVD will
come out of that performance (correct me if I'm wrong)...

You are correct, and I will be there![IMG]height=28 src="smileys/
smiley16.gif" width=32>

I will be there as well.

-------------
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: March 29 2006 at 09:50
Originally posted by FragileDT FragileDT wrote:

Originally posted by Rushman Rushman wrote:

They're finishing up the
world tour on Saturday night at Radio City Music Hall, and I think a DVD will
come out of that performance (correct me if I'm wrong)...

You are correct, and I will be there!

I will be there as well.

Awesome, can't wait to hear about it! 

Posted By: Empathy
Date Posted: March 29 2006 at 10:49
I'll be seeing them tomorrow night here in Boston. 

Tonight's The Orb.

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: March 29 2006 at 12:09

Please make the torture stop.

Do you guys know how jealous you are making me, I havnt seen them and I really cant wait for them to come back to the UK.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Date Posted: March 29 2006 at 13:03
As Frank has repeatedly let us know...

The Torture NEVER Stops.

Hey, you've got ALL sorts of shows going on over there that we can't see. As excited as I am about DT, I've already seen 'em numerous times, and would gladly trade with you for tickets to the Zappa Plays Zappa tour kickoff in Amsterdam!

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: Man Made God
Date Posted: March 29 2006 at 17:04
I've seen the same show here in Amsterdam (2 times, as they did the cover of DSOTM the 2nd night), and you've described it wonderfully.
It was a mindblowing experience, and I can't wait for the dvd to hit the shelves!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/manmadegod/?chartstyle=ScarlettJohansson1">
Focus on the music... Focus!

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: April 01 2006 at 10:38
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Do you guys know how jealous you are making me, I havnt seen them and I really cant wait for them to come back to the UK.

Same thing here!!! I lost the oportunity of seeing them alst year here In Argentina for the first time because I was in a school trip in Brazil...
stupied sunny beaches with woman with the smallest bekinis I´ve ever seen...

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Date Posted: April 01 2006 at 16:57
^ I weep for you, el bothy 

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: KansasRushDream
Date Posted: April 08 2006 at 20:21

Jordan's keyboard solo for the intro to Octavarium was stunning, the use of the continuum board and the "slide guitar" made for incredible, moving sounds that really set the mood.
I really can't stand Jordan's solos, because all he does is just blur his fingers and do ascending and descending runs (though usually ascending which bugs the crap out of me since he does it every 2 seconds in his solos). Was this solo you speak of along those lines or was it a lot better (ex: slower, melodic, discernable, musical.... things like that)?

Posted By: Maverick
Date Posted: April 26 2006 at 09:36
It's a pity, but Dream Theater has never gigged in Russia... And they aren't going to... and they never will. Just why? I can't understand this thing. As if, Russia was an unattainable part of the world.

-------------
In PROG We Trust

Posted By: Barla
Date Posted: April 29 2006 at 23:33
When Dream Theater came to Argentina last year, it really blew up my head !! AMAZING !!

Posted By: imoeng
Date Posted: May 15 2006 at 08:48
Ive seen them in Singapore!! friggen awesome!!! God has given us Dream Theater..

-------------
http://img360.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spmiw7.jpg">

Posted By: Dream Theater
Date Posted: June 05 2006 at 15:32
I saw them in Orlando last year, they were awesome! I love DT Approve

-------------
[IMG]http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/Images/Travel_Article_Library/Sacred-Travel/Machu-Picchu-350.jpg"> [IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/panchopc1/machupicchu-1.jpg">

Posted By: Dream Theater
Date Posted: June 23 2006 at 22:01
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Same thing here!!! I lost the oportunity of seeing them alst year here In Argentina for the first time because I was in a school trip in Brazil...
stupied sunny beaches with woman with the smallest bekinis I´ve ever seen...

You could have gone to the show in Brazil Wink

-------------
[IMG]http://www.travelwithachallenge.com/Images/Travel_Article_Library/Sacred-Travel/Machu-Picchu-350.jpg"> [IMG]http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a63/panchopc1/machupicchu-1.jpg">

Posted By: Pseudonym
Date Posted: November 03 2006 at 01:50
I saw them on the first concert of their anniversary tour in helsinkiSmile
just amazing can't wait for the next tour.
and the best bit is the score dvd, it just takes me back to helsinki and brings out the emotions and excitement I had at the gig, although the dvd was shot in NYC

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: November 13 2006 at 18:41

I was fortunate enough to spend last evening with Dream Theater.  I bought a pair of tickets, and in the end I couldn't unload the second one, but I only paid $60 for the pair and each ticket was $50 through Ticketmaster.  So, an extra $10 doesn't hurt.  This was at the Tower Theater in Philadelphia, a small venue that maybe seats 1500-2000 people.  I was in the 11th row in the orchestra right, in the aisle between the center and right sections.  Forgive me if these descriptions duplicate some of the other reviews.  As the lights went down and the curtain rose, a montage of the past 20 years of Dream Theater went up on the screen, and then the guys took the stage and opened with "The Root of All Evil".  Started pretty good, it's not among my favorite tracks on the new album, but whatever.  Then things got interesting.  They went all the way back to the days when they were called Majesty and played a song from that time (from other sites I think it's called "Another Won").  The set list then went in chronological order, which helps me a lot in remembering!  Before the first intermission, we were treated to:

"A Fortune in Lies"
"Take the Time"
"Caught in a Web"

"Peruvian Skies" (with a bit of "Wish You Were Here" and "Wherever I May Roam" thrown in)

"Raise the Knife" (first time I ever heard this, it was absolutely awesome.  Apparently it was an outtake from the Falling into Infinity sessions.)

then the first set ended with "Home".  Such a strong finish, they were brilliant on this.  By this time I was really going nuts with my various air instruments.

The second set began with the introduction to "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" before the guys came back on stage, at which point they launched into "War Inside My Head" and "The Test That Stumped Them All".  This was followed by "Endless Sacrifice", which was among my favorites of the evening.  The three songs that opened the second act were so unbelievable - Portnoy flying all over the kit and having a great time (always had a big smile on his face), Petrucci and Myung flying (when they "dualed", as it were, that was so great), the tradeoff guitar/keyboard solos between Petrucci and Rudess - and let me add, as other posters have done, that LaBrie was in fine form, and in fact it was probably the best vocal performance I've heard from him live (I've been to two other shows).

The second set ended really strong; you know, based on what they did it was clear I haven't given Octavarium enough spins and have been ignoring it too much.

"I Walk Beside You"
"Sacrificed Sons"
"Octavarium"

Jordan's keyboard solo for the intro to Octavarium was stunning, the use of the continuum board and the "slide guitar" made for incredible, moving sounds that really set the mood.  Then we all went nuts as John came out with his double neck - what progger worth his/her salt doesn't love the double neck?   They were nice enough to come out for an encore, ending the show in brilliant fashion with "Wait for Sleep" and "Learning to Live".

Like I said, the performance on the last three songs were really, really great, especially the last two; it made me grab Octavarium for the car when I got home so I could get into it more.

What can I say?  I think I still favor the time I saw them perform the entire SFAM, but this was an incredible performance, seeing them go one by one through their catalog was a real treat.  They're finishing up the world tour on Saturday night at Radio City Music Hall, and I think a DVD will come out of that performance (correct me if I'm wrong), so everyone can enjoy!

I was at that show. Do you live around Philly Natural?

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: 2112
Date Posted: November 19 2006 at 19:35
why wont dream theater come to australia, they are a band i really wanna see!

-------------

I can't wait to share this new wonder...The people will all see its light!

Posted By: DT_ELP_Yes
Date Posted: December 10 2006 at 18:23
I was there and it was maybe the greatest concert of my life

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/one_last_breath/?chartstyle=basic10">

Posted By: Trickster F.
Date Posted: December 14 2006 at 14:49
Originally posted by el bцthy el bцthy wrote:

stupied sunny beaches with woman with the smallest bekinis Iґve ever seen...

Are you telling me you would prefer a Dream Theater concert over a beach full of scantily clad Brazilian women? Confused

Tongue

edit: LOL at my initial misspelling of the word "beach".

-------------
sig

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk