Print Page | Close Window

osibisa here?ok why not santana?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Suggest New Bands and Artists
Forum Description: Suggest, create polls, and classify new bands you would like included on Prog Archives
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=21750
Printed Date: April 23 2024 at 08:09
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: osibisa here?ok why not santana?
Posted By: ridingonacamel
Subject: osibisa here?ok why not santana?
Date Posted: April 14 2006 at 09:25

i must say that i find it a bit strange when i saw that osibisa was here.Im not saying that i dont want them here but i delieve that since this band is here we should add also santana

Opinions?

Replies:
Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: April 14 2006 at 09:32

I AM IN AGREEMENT WITH YOU!

IT IS STRANGE!

For always yours, Mandrakeroot.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: April 14 2006 at 09:33

I think that at least the first albums of Santana, especially the marvellous "Abraxas" and "Caravanserai", qualify as prog and should be featured here. However, the addition of bands which only have a few prog records to their credit presents quite a few problems, IMHO. Just yesterday, while looking for an album in the Album index, I happened to come across "Queen with George Michael and Lisa Stansfield". Well, I am very open-minded, but to say that came as a shock would be an understatement...

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: April 14 2006 at 09:43
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I think that at least the first albums of Santana, especially the marvellous "Abraxas" and "Caravanserai", qualify as prog and should be featured here. However, the addition of bands which only have a few prog records to their credit presents quite a few problems, IMHO. Just yesterday, while looking for an album in the Album index, I happened to come across "Queen with George Michael and Lisa Stansfield". Well, I am very open-minded, but to say that came as a shock would be an understatement...

I've made this point before, but ....

This site has hundreds of reviews of Dream Theater's SFAMM II, most hailing it as the greatest artistic achievement of the 20th century, and people feel that the presence of one album featuring George Michael as a guest artist undermines the site's credibility? Get real!

As for Santana, I'd definitely be in favour of their inclusion, but the majority consensus seems to be against it.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: Clark Ashton
Date Posted: April 14 2006 at 09:44

I agree, but all of that post creative peak material on here bares the mark of low rankings; to separate it from the cream.

Posted By: Andrea Cortese
Date Posted: April 14 2006 at 09:47

Yeah, Abraxas and Caravanserai are well worthy of inclusion!! The only two Santana's studio albums I own.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: April 14 2006 at 10:08

Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

I've made this point before, but ....

This site has hundreds of reviews of Dream Theater's SFAMM II, most hailing it as the greatest artistic achievement of the 20th century, and people feel that the presence of one album featuring George Michael as a guest artist undermines the site's credibility? Get real!

As for Santana, I'd definitely be in favour of their inclusion, but the majority consensus seems to be against it.

I don't know if I got your point right, but I DON'T think that Queen album undermines the site's credibility. After all, I'm a collaborator as well, and that would be somewhat inconsistent. That said, I agree with you about the hundreds of rave reviews of DT's record. I haven't even heard SFAMM II, but the DT records I own (with the only exception of Images and Words) bore me to tears, and I can't to this day understand what's so exciting about them - apart from their technical proficiency.

Back to Santana, I understand his later production is rather poppy and commercial and has no real relation to the great records he made in the '70s - but this is true of many artists featured here. Genesis, anyone?

Posted By: PROGMAN
Date Posted: April 15 2006 at 12:25
His Abraxas era salbums are worth an inclusion!!

-------------
CYMRU AM BYTH

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 15 2006 at 12:39

Santana WILL be added for sure, but one thing at a time

His huge discography is scary when you know that the whole thing must be entered

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: PROGMAN
Date Posted: April 15 2006 at 12:55
my sister has his album Supernatural!!

-------------