Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=22807
Printed Date: May 28 2024 at 17:44
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: "Filler" tracks on prog albums
Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Subject: "Filler" tracks on prog albums
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 04:44
I just read a review of Tool - 10,000 Days ... the reviewer complained about two tracks that he called "filler": Lipan Conjuring and Viginti Tres.

My problem with that is: The album has a play time of 77 minutes! Even if one doesn't like these tracks, I don't think that they should be taken into account when determining a rating for the album. IMO it's just additional content that shouldn't affect the rating - wouldn't it be awkward if the album was rated higher if they had left out these tracks?

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Replies:
Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 04:52
As far as I am concerned an album lasting 77 mins is simply too long (there was a debate almost two years ago about the idealalbum lenght and surprisingly the results was close to 40 mins - the lenght of a vinyl)

inevitably there are tracks on an album (a forteriori the long ones) that are obviously used as filling the content of an album behind the so-called hits to be pushed by radio airplay.

I think it must be distinguished between the "second choice" stuff a band writes (which I would call tracks that band clearly intended to be prime stuff but ended up in lesser mode not quite as good (artistically succesful) and thje obvious throwaway pieces that are called fillers.

Tarkus

1. Tarkus: Eruption (2:44) 
    Stones Of Years (3:44) 
    Iconoclast (1:16)
    Mass (3:12) 
   Manticore (1:52) 
   Battlefield (3:51) 
   Aquatarkus (4:04)  >>> Tarkus is a core track of the albumStar
2. Jeremy Bender (1:51)   >> a tyical ragtime piece , a facet of ELPThumbs Up>> not my cup of tea
3. Bitches Crystal (3:58) >> second choice material>> still worthySmile
4. The Only Way (Hymn)(3:49) >>> Classical rework >> core material of the album Star
Toccata in F and Prelude VI (themes used in intro and bridge only)composed by: Bach
5. Infinite Space (Conclusion)(3:20)  >> cannot really remember it but likely linked to previous track
6. A Time And A Place (3:02) >> second choice material>> still worthy
7. Are You Ready Eddy? (2:10) >> nothing to do with ELP, a throwaway piece >> a fillerThumbs Down

In this case the filler is short and at the end of the album, can be skipped (can even be fun) etc.. so it does not really ruin the album. But if tyhere are some three tracks like that, they hinder the smooth progression of the album, then it becomes a problem. It should definitely be taken into account on the ratings

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Jimbo
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 04:55
Yes, they should IMO. It's not "additional" content unless they're bonus tracks, because for me, an album is always an entity. I would always rather listen to 45 minutes of brilliant music, than to 77 minutes of music, where half of the stuff is mediocre.

That's part of the reason, why many modern prog bands did absolutely nothing for me.

-------------

Posted By: erlenst
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 04:59
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I just read a review of Tool - 10,000 Days ... the reviewer complained about two tracks that he called "filler": Lipan Conjuring and Viginti Tres.

My problem with that is: The album has a play time of 77 minutes! Even if one doesn't like these tracks, I don't think that they should be taken into account when determining a rating for the album. IMO it's just additional content that shouldn't affect the rating - wouldn't it be awkward if the album was rated higher if they had left out these tracks?

Of course they should. Take another example - a 40 minute album with 10 minutes of pure sh*te. Shouldn't this be taken into consideration when reviewing the album ? Anyway, this is one of the reasons that the rating of an album isn't adequate. I would rather listen to an album with 20 minutes of amazing music, than one with 40 minutes of average music. But with the rating system, they would both get the same score.

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 05:04
I'm not talking about short albums ... I'm talking about albums that really use the full CD to the max (75+ minutes), and have tracks at the end of the album that can clearly be identified as bonus tracks. Example: Many Devin Townsend albums contain an outtake track at the end. IMO these tracks should absolutely not be taken into account when determining a rating. The artist put them there in good faith - he shouldn't be punished for using the capabilities of the CD format.

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 05:10
If you are talking about bonus tracks , then please state so! Wink

Fillers are what I described in my previous post

Bonus tracks can be appreciated in the ratings if they bring a definite value to the original albums (ie in a Cd re-issue):  Genesis's SEBTP with Twilight Alehouse as bonus is a definte plusStar , but SEBTP with studio in progress version of Cinema Show are ruining the playing of the albumSleepy >> however interesting this may be.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 05:12
It's not as simple as that, Hugues. Sometimes tracks are clearly identifiable as bonus tracks when you listen to them, although they are not marked as such in the tracklist.

I will definitely exclude these tracks from the album rating calculation on my website ... the bonus tracks of re-releases etc. are excluded anyway.

-------------

Posted By: Rapataz
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 06:07

I love These " Filler" Tracks. I don´t like albums having one killer song after the other (that sounds like a Compilation Or Best-Of Album (I personally hate Best of Albums and think they shouldn´t be included in the archives to me)

A really good Album has to be listened to from beginning to end end and has to be homogene all the time and has to have short resting breaks after total freak-outs

-------------
www.myspace.com/rasayanaband

Posted By: R o V e R
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 06:28
Originally posted by Rapataz Rapataz wrote:

I love These " Filler" Tracks. I don´t like albums having one killer song after the other (that sounds like a Compilation Or Best-Of Album (I personally hate Best of Albums and think they shouldn´t be included in the archives to me)

A really good Album has to be listened to from beginning to end end and has to be homogene all the time and has to have short resting breaks after total freak-outs

Confusedyou are not talking about filler tracks,

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 06:36
I think that the usual definition of a filler track is: a track that is weaker than the others (lower quality, not just lower complexity/technicality or interlude/intro/outro) and has been put on the album in order to increase the playtime. Like the artist thought "I only have 30 minutes worth of music ... let's goof around a bit, play some blues/rock song/whatever and add these songs to the album until we have 45 minutes".

IMO that type of filler track should most definitely be taken into account when rating the album, as it lowers the quality of the album. But if an artist decides to publish 60 minutes of quality music on an album and then also adds outtakes/bonus tracks on the remaining 15 minutes of the CD, these should not be held against him.

-------------

Posted By: oddentity
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 06:56
I hate the word "filler".  I think it's disrespectful to the artists involved to call what they have worked hard to create "filler".   Sometimes it might be justified, but all too often reviewers lazily throw the word "filler" at tracks they don't comprehend and haven't taken the time to appreciate.  

So much of it is subjective.   What is one's man's filler is another man's meat and potatoes.    Ideally, a reviewer should, when faced with a track they initially dislike, take it upon himself to understand the intentions of the band in creating it, as well as their overall vision.   Simply dismissing it as "filler" is mindless and doesn't benefit anyone. 

The word needs to be expunged from the dictionary!

-

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 06:58
^ I don't mind the word at all. But I agree that it is often applied too easily.

-------------

Posted By: CryoftheCarrots
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 06:59
  The negative reviews of "filler" tracks is one of my bigest peeves with this site.I can't stand the term "filler" with regards to any album.The artists record these pieces of music or white noise or whatever as a legitimate part of an album.Just because a track is shorter or has no vocals doesn't mean it should be written off.
  With regards to the "10000 Days" pieces mentioned they are a bridge or introduce a theme to a following track.Tool have always done this so it is a part of what they are.
  Regarding your original question Mike, I think they have to be included.Just because a reviewer is too narrow minded to recognise a short bridge or amusing addition is their problem. Another reviewer may actually appreciate these bridges and rate them accordingly.I know I would.Good topic and one that has been bugging me.

-------------
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:02
Think of a hidden track that contains 10 minutes of silence and then a door clapping. Now if I have to rate such a track (on my website for example, where you rate tracks not albums) I cannot give this track a high rating. But I would feel bad if this track was considered in computing the album average.

-------------

Posted By: Terra Australis
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:18
If an artist includes a short 'different' piece of music or even noise then it is not filler. It has been included for a purpose as directed by their muse. The only 'filler' are tracks identified as such. e.g. bonus tracks, remastered additional tracks.

Present day prog bands do not need radio friendly shorter tracks either as it would probably not be played anyway.

Either way I treat all tracks as part of the purpose of the CD.

Also, tracks are not filler if I don't like them, they are not long enough or are humerous.

Even though I could make my own CD with my favourite tracks, I feel I might be missing the total experience to do so.

-------------
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - http://allomerus.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:24

Think of a hidden track that contains 10 minutes of silence and then a door clapping. Now if I have to rate such a track (on my website for example, where you rate tracks not albums) I cannot give this track a high rating. But I would feel bad if this track was considered in computing the album average.
 Ah but a hidden track is just that and so cant be included in the normal rating.I have cd's with hidden tracks and haven't found them!Wink

-------------

MJK

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:31

Hidden tracks are different this you describe is completely annoying...

Originally posted by oddentity oddentity wrote:

I hate the word "filler".  I think it's disrespectful to the artists involved to call what they have worked hard to create "filler".   Sometimes it might be justified, but all too often reviewers lazily throw the word "filler" at tracks they don't comprehend and haven't taken the time to appreciate.  

Believe me, the artistes know when they create a filler >>> look at my first post where i make a difference between second choice material and fillers

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:37

So much of it is subjective.   What is one's man's filler is another man's meat and potatoes.    Ideally, a reviewer should, when faced with a track they initially dislike, take it upon himself to understand the intentions of the band in creating it, as well as their overall vision.   Simply dismissing it as "filler" is mindless and doesn't benefit anyone. 

-
I absolutely agree...I hate the word "filler" also

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:39
Hidden tracks come in many different forms:

- Completely hidden before the first track (you have to play the first track and rewind)
- Completely hidden after the last track (you have to play the last track to the end and then you get to the hidden track)
- Track is on the disc, can be selected on the player, but doesn't appear in the track list printed on the CD (or the sleeve)
- Track is merged with the last track (last track contains two tracks separated by silence)

-------------

Posted By: oddentity
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:43
Sean Trane wrote:

Quote Believe me, the artistes know when they create a filler >>> look at my first post where i make a difference between second choice material and fillers

But how do you know what the artists themselves consider to be filler?  And how do you know what every listener thinks?    

Above, you labelled "Are You Ready, Eddy? as filler, but why do you suppose it really is filler?      If a person enjoys the song as part of the whole ELP experience, then for him it isn't "filler".    

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:45

Sean Trane wrote:

Quote Believe me, the artistes know when they create a filler >>> look at my first post where i make a difference between second choice material and fillers

But how do you know what the artists themselves consider to be filler?  And how do you know what every listener thinks?    

Above, you labelled "Are You Ready, Eddy? as filler, but why do you suppose it really is filler?      If a person enjoys the song as part of the whole ELP experience, then for him it isn't "filler".    

He doesn't know really if an artist intends something to be filler. But "Are You Ready Eddy" has all the halmarks of a studio romp, included for the fun of it. I don't know if that makes it filler or not.

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:57
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Sean Trane wrote:

He doesn't know.

I agree.

Filler is stuff tacked on the end of a CD and labelled as such. e.g. remixes and bonus tracks.

Who are we to decide what the artist thinks is filler.

-------------

Posted By: Wilcey
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 07:58
I am totally agreeing with Oddentity, and Snowie on this one.
How blinkin disrespectful can you get?
To call a track a "filler" ??? Did the band tell you that these tracks are fillers? Or is it your infinate blinkin wisdom?
How many of you complainees have actually recorded an album? Do you understand the process just because you like the music? Do you understand why those tracks are there?
Take off your blinkers............
There is a VAST difference between "bonus" tracks and "hidden" tracks...........and I don't believe there is such a thing as "filler" tracks.

sheeeeesh.............to review an album you listen to I think is good, it helps others make choices, and lets face it who can rely on journalists for an impartial view? But to write off tracks as "fillers" that is misunderstanding of the piece, and disrespect of the artist.

(I shall get off my soap box now! )

P-C x

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 08:13
I have made/recorded music and I have made odd tracks that people might consider to be filler. I didn't think that these tracks were filler at the time, I was following my muse...

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 08:42
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

I am totally agreeing with Oddentity, and Snowie on this one.
How blinkin disrespectful can you get?
To call a track a "filler" ??? Did the band tell you that these tracks are fillers? Or is it your infinate blinkin wisdom?
How many of you complainees have actually recorded an album? Do you understand the process just because you like the music? Do you understand why those tracks are there?
Take off your blinkers............
There is a VAST difference between "bonus" tracks and "hidden" tracks...........and I don't believe there is such a thing as "filler" tracks.

sheeeeesh.............to review an album you listen to I think is good, it helps others make choices, and lets face it who can rely on journalists for an impartial view? But to write off tracks as "fillers" that is misunderstanding of the piece, and disrespect of the artist.

(I shall get off my soap box now! )

P-C x
PC it sounds like you are just as pissed off with the reviews recently sl*gging off "fillers" as I am.At least there are some here with common sense and decency to our beloved artists.I have read reviews of Genesis' Lamb where reviewees sl*g off "Silent Sorrow in Empty boats" etc.....Arggh... what are these people on!
  If I wanted to listen to an album with one radio friendly hit after another I wouldn't be on this site.Prog artists by their nature tend to produce albums that make you think, with more depth and meaning to the album as a WHOLE.

-------------

MJK

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 08:50
I have been watching this topic, along wit some of the other more negative topics......... sometimes it get to the point I speak........mainly I sit on my hands to prevent me from typing! But sometimes you need to speak up!

This got my blood boiling!

Glad to be understood tho!

P-C

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 09:42
¿What about "filler" album?. 10.000 days should be one step ahead of Lateralus. It sounds like the album hey would have released previously, not after...

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 10:04
Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

¿What about "filler" album?. 10.000 days should be one step ahead of Lateralus. It sounds like the album hey would have released previously, not after...
Arrghhhh wheres a wall I can bang my head against!Dead

-------------

MJK

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 10:36

Side 2 of "Tarkus" by ELP

"The Clap" from "The Yes Album"... but it's pretty well played

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 10:38
Originally posted by Terra Australis Terra Australis wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Sean Trane wrote:

He doesn't know.

I agree.

Filler is stuff tacked on the end of a CD and labelled as such. e.g. remixes and bonus tracks.

Who are we to decide what the artist thinks is filler.

------------------------------------------ > edited by STWink

the example I used for a filler is the one of a full album on its original support. Not the filling space track of a 40 min album to fill up the unused space on a cd.

This notion of a filler or throwaway track has existed since the early 70's when albums became the norm since the single was phazed out. Groups now had to have albums with the hits (or likely singles) , but the groups had to come up with other material and for some this was quite a boring task , because they knew they had one or two hits and this would assure selling the album, then the rest of the tracks (filling the alloted space in the vinyl) was quickly made, botched up, poor stuff.

remember Elton John was condemend by a tribunal because the parting album done for MCA was fillers and throwaways with no possible tracks to exploit commercially . The court agreed with MCA and forced Elton to have better tracks and the lenght of the album over the 30 min duration (another gripe for MCA). There was never a precedent before that case about how long should a Lp (Long Playing for remembering purposes) >> so this trial became jurisprudence

Elton's answer??? you ask: he threw away a few other fillers so the album would meet the duration and that was it.

ARTISTES (in general and not specifically prog artistes)  KNOW WHEN THEY ARE WRITING WORTHY STUFF AND THEY KNOW WHEN THEY ARE WRITING FILLERS  >> THEY ONLY HAVE SO MANY IDEAS AND HAVE TO SPREAD THEM EVENLY OVER A FEW ALBUMS  AND NOT CONCENTRATING THEM ON ONE SOLE ALBUM

Emerson once called Ready Eddy a throwaway track, and even if a cute joke, the track can only be seen as such especially from a perspective of what ELP is. Another superb example is in Rainbow Rising: Do You Close Your Eyes is a clear filler >> Dio was once quoted so, if memory serves.

in musical jargon , the throwaway track is the one that is used to fill-up the space/time  expected for an album while the commercial music is already done
Cynical, uh!!??

Why do you think the press started talking about them fillers or throw away tracks? Because they were denouncing this fact!!!! 

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 10:46
Yes but that doesnt change the fact that you don't know which tracks the artist percieves a fillers if any.

-------------

Posted By: Masque
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 10:47
A great 45 minute CD is better than a  potentially great 77 minute CD but has some filler,  I think Wink

Posted By: alterpower
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:01
one man's filler is another man's hit

-------------
Oh I don't know [incert activity] but I did listen to a prog album last night.

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:04
Originally posted by CryoftheCarrots CryoftheCarrots wrote:

Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

Arrghhhh wheres a wall I can bang my head against![IMG]height=17 alt=Dead src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley11.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

¿Why would you possibly want to do that for?...    

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:14
------------------------------------ edited by STWink

Guess what , professional musicians are good enough to know if they do something worthy or not just like the average construction worker does

Actually, the professional musicians know they do a lot less worthy work than a construction builder >> sad, but true

and sorry Emerson was a professional musician in 71 well before being an artiste >> this goes for every group past their second or third album in their lifetime. The first fillers Emerson wrote IMHO are in The Nice's third album.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:15
Originally posted by Masque Masque wrote:

A great 45 minute CD is better than a  potentially great 77 minute CD but has some filler,  I think.

Where's the difference between a great 45 minute CD, and a CD with 45 great minutes and 15 minutes filler? I mean, the extra 15 minutes don't cause any additional cost ...

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:17

Deleted by SDTongue

-------------

Posted By: Firepuck
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:20

The album should be rated as a whole as it plays when you put it on the turntable or in the CD player. It seems to me this would be the way the artist wanted it played, especially when we are discussing progressive rock which is often thematic in nature.

Filler smiller, in my opinion original releases do not contain any, the album should be rated as a whole. The overall album rating should reflect an the reviewers impression of every song. I disagree with Mike's contention that when reviewing Tool's new album (to cite a specific example) one should be able to discard songs not liked - in fact, I cannot follow the logic of this arguement at all.

And I agree with Sean stating that the average CD should be around 40 minutes long (maybe I'm just an old fart who is fondly reminiscing about putting some vinyl on the turntable).

To me if an artist wants to release a 77 minute CD it is equivalent to an artist releasing a double vinyl album.

Look at Kate Bush's new double CD, I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that each of the two CD's were around 40 minutes in length, the total time of the two clocking in at 80:02 minutes. She has three songs on the CD that each are under 2 minutes in length. She could easily have left off a couple of these (filler?) and created a single CD release.

I have two questions:
1. Why didn't she?
2. If she wanted to release a double CD why didn't she add more music to FILLER them up?

This is a true double LP. Way to go Kate! Clap

-------------
Kryten : "'Pub'? Ah yes, A meeting place where humans attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks."

Posted By: ThisWas
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:22
filler is just a word for a song on an album people dont like

ie: For Absent Friends on Nursery Cryme

people say it doesnt flow with the album, but then again, does every prog album have to have continuity to constitute being a prog album? if you look at say led zeppelin, or the beatles, its all filler if you look at it from that perspective

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:22
totally agree with you there Firepuck........

Great album, great example!

P-C

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:23

A great 45 minute CD is better than a  potentially great 77 minute CD but has some filler,  I think.

Where's the difference between a great 45 minute CD, and a CD with 45 great minutes and 15 minutes filler? I mean, the extra 15 minutes don't cause any additional cost ...

About 15 minutes

-------------
Kryten : "'Pub'? Ah yes, A meeting place where humans attempt to achieve advanced states of mental incompetence by the repeated consumption of fermented vegetable drinks."

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:38

edited by STWink

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: Joolz
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:43

I think that the usual definition of a filler track is: a track that is weaker than the others (lower quality, not just lower complexity/technicality or interlude/intro/outro) and has been put on the album in order to increase the playtime. Like the artist thought "I only have 30 minutes worth of music ... let's goof around a bit, play some blues/rock song/whatever and add these songs to the album until we have 45 minutes".

Absolutely. Often it will be a record company decision to add it. And filler is different to a sequence specifically designed as part of the musical flow, however much someone may dislike it. Example - many people complain there is too much filler in PF's THE WALL, but to me it is all there for a purpose, telling part of the story and therefore not filler.

IMO that type of filler track should most definitely be taken into account when rating the album, as it lowers the quality of the album.

Quite agree - it is part of the product. You can't just ignore it.

But if an artist decides to publish 60 minutes of quality music on an album and then also adds outtakes/bonus tracks on the remaining 15 minutes of the CD, these should not be held against him.

On the contrary, they should, if anything, enhance the rating. As long as they are identified as bonuses of course!

Posted By: Camel_APPeal
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:44

Hey!

Yes, it's a fact that artists may be preassured by the record companies (who only understand business, but not art) and they may have to put filler songs in the albums.

And yes, it also is true that we don't always know for sure if a certain song we don't feel fitting the rest of the album is a so called 'filler' or anything else, and therefore it's also true that calling that certain track a 'filler' is not fair.

It's also true that sometimes we manage to know that certain track is intended by the artist as a filler, but if you enjoyed that particular track, you should still enjoy it!!!

Now, another interesting question here is: should bonus tracks (clearly specified as such) affect an album rating?? Well, let's try to be fair; from a protective perspective, a bonus track can break the main feel of the album, so you could say: "No! Bonus tracks should not affect the rating of an album!" but... what if that bonus track enhances the main feel of the album?? Do we stick to the bonus-tracks-don't-affect-rating policy???

All in all, I agree with Firepuck that an album is an experience, therefore when you rate an album, you rate the experience you had; and in the end ratings are subjective; ratings are not to determine wether you like or not an album, you just use other people's ratings as a reference, and with time, you get to know the way certain reviewers think and so you can give yourself a better idea what they are talking about.

Take care, everybody.

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:51
Originally posted by Camel_APPeal Camel_APPeal wrote:

Hey!

Yes, it's a fact that artists may be preassured by the record companies (who only understand business, but not art) and they may have to put filler songs in the albums.

And yes, it also is true that we don't always know for sure if a certain song we don't feel fitting the rest of the album is a so called 'filler' or anything else, and therefore it's also true that calling that certain track a 'filler' is not fair.

It's also true that sometimes we manage to know that certain track is intended by the artist as a filler, but if you enjoyed that particular track, you should still enjoy it!!!

Now, another interesting question here is: should bonus tracks (clearly specified as such) affect an album rating?? Well, let's try to be fair; from a protective perspective, a bonus track can break the main feel of the album, so you could say: "No! Bonus tracks should not affect the rating of an album!" but... what if that bonus track enhances the main feel of the album?? Do we stick to the bonus-tracks-don't-affect-rating policy???

All in all, I agree with Firepuck that an album is an experience, therefore when you rate an album, you rate the experience you had; and in the end ratings are subjective; ratings are not to determine wether you like or not an album, you just use other people's ratings as a reference, and with time, you get to know the way certain reviewers think and so you can give yourself a better idea what they are talking about.

Take care, everybody.

lotsa common sense there!! ClapAnd I agree with most of it.
but bonus tracks do affect your enjoyment of an album , especially if (as you say, but I will translate itWink)  it sticks out like a sore thumb

Welcome to the Archives BTWWink

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 11:52
Originally posted by Firepuck Firepuck wrote:

About 15 minutes

So I should rate Terria less because Devin gave us an additional outtake track but forgot to label it "bonus"?

-------------

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:19
Edited by SDEmbarrassed

-------------

Posted By: bctruce
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:31

I saw that review and had similar thoughts. The problems I have are:

"Lipan Conjuring" is a little over a minute, so why should it really matter? It's a little interlude, and much less annoying / lengthy than Tool's previous "filler" tracks -- see (-) ions from Ænima.

"Lost Keys" is (to me) an awesome mood piece and highly effective setup to the next track on the album. I love it and would never consider it filler.

"Viginti Tres" is filler, but so what? So the guys wanted to doodle around at the end of the album and had room? Again, it's nowhere near as offensive as the unlistenable "Faaip De Oiad" from Lateralus, and even if you hate it, just stop the CD. Should be no factor at all.

So in this case I couldn't possibly see "filler" material as being a problem. Plenty of other albums just have bad songwriting, and I'd consider that filler

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:36

--------------- edited by STWink

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: OldFatherThames
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:39
Originally posted by ThisWas ThisWas wrote:

filler is just a word for a song on an album people dont like

ie: For Absent Friends on Nursery Cryme

people say it doesnt flow with the album, but then again, does every prog album have to have continuity to constitute being a prog album? if you look at say led zeppelin, or the beatles, its all filler if you look at it from that perspective

Totally disagree. I love that song and I think it goes very well in the album. Imagine that after The musical box, return of the giant hogweeg begin....I think something would miss....

Posted By: MegaMoog
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:45
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Tarkus

1. Tarkus: Eruption (2:44) 
    Stones Of Years (3:44) 
    Iconoclast (1:16)
    Mass (3:12) 
   Manticore (1:52) 
   Battlefield (3:51) 
   Aquatarkus (4:04)  >>> Tarkus is a core track of the albumStar
2. Jeremy Bender (1:51)   >> a tyical ragtime piece , a facet of ELPThumbs Up>> not my cup of tea
3. Bitches Crystal (3:58) >> second choice material>> still worthySmile
4. The Only Way (Hymn)(3:49) >>> Classical rework >> core material of the album Star
Toccata in F and Prelude VI (themes used in intro and bridge only)composed by: Bach
5. Infinite Space (Conclusion)(3:20)  >> cannot really remember it but likely linked to previous track
6. A Time And A Place (3:02) >> second choice material>> still worthy
7. Are You Ready Eddy? (2:10) >> nothing to do with ELP, a throwaway piece >> a fillerThumbs Down 

you know my brother and I listin to the album in the car and both agreed that Are you ready Eddy? was the best case of a filler ever used that we could think of

-------------
Where Can I Get A Moog biscuit?

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:49
^
Mike, first off I visit your site regularily and find it well laid out and informative. I will certainly end up joining sooner or later (it took me over a year of navagating this site before I became a member so give me time). I like the format of rating each song independently, great value in that when exploring new groups (I mean groups I haven't really listened to before). Kudo's to you for taking the time on this site and your site to help make them as good as they are.

But in this I strongly disagree with you. I will always think that the album should be rated as a whole. Outakes, fillers, everything. There are many albums I like and play often that have songs that I don't find all that good. Does this make the album less worthy of a high rating? - ABSOLUTELY

To me there are few albums that are strong from start to finish and these are the real jewels of progressive rock.

Mind you, this is just my opinion. With respect to Terria you can rate it however you see fit.

For example:

GENESIS — Archive - Volume 1: 1967-1975

While I would highly recommend this box set to any early Genesis fan I would never give this a 5 star rating because of CD4. CD's 1, 2 and 3 however are gorgeous.

IMHO...

-------------

Posted By: VanBuren
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 12:55
Who really cares if its 40 minutes or 77.  And who are these people say what's "filler"  I really doubt the guys in tool said, "sh*t, this isn't long enough, lets add some crap to it."   perhaps they put these "filler" tracks in because they liked them, or maybe just so they could be criticized on the internet about stupid little insignificant things aspects of their album.  If we're gonna bitch about filler, why not start with something that has a lot of it, not two little tracks.  I mean have any of you heard Frances the Mute, that's an album with filler.  Tool albums have more of transitions.

Posted By: man@arms
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 15:30
I think a 77 minute cd is a bit overlong for my personal listening experience.  I agree with the earlier statements saying 40 minutes is more ideal.  Just because a cd can hold 80 minutes of material doesn't mean the artist should feel obligated to fill the disc to capacity.  Rick Wakeman has said that Yes had to noodle around while recording Topographic Oceans so that each song would fill the entire side on an lp.  While I happen to love Topographic a great deal, I can see where a bit of editing would have helped the album.  Same goes for the White Album, Tommy, Electric Ladyland, The Lamb and several other double albums.  When the 33rpm became available in the 50's, it was the great jazz artists of that era that were the first to truly allow themselves to stretch out and play a bit longer, something that they could not do with the old 78's.  So, with new technology and new formats come artists willing to utilize the extra available space to varying degrees of success. 

Posted By: Chris_Kemp
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 16:29
Filler tracks (they do exist and great albums don't have them):

Acquiring the Taste on Acquiring the Taste

Sentimental Institution on Defector

Ring on Circus (by Argent)

-------------
"That's not your face...it's mine! IT'S MINE!!

Posted By: hawkbrock
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 16:39
Any Colour you Like. Scum track.

-------------

Posted By: akin
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 17:42
My previous post didn't appear because there was a problem, but to resume what I would comment, sorry, Mike, but I disagree with your complains because we cannot simply forget that there are some songs not so good in the album. Them some will argue that an album with 4 fantastic songs and 5 not so good can be a masterpiece. To the person that made the review, these songs are enough to justify a lower rating, mostly because he is not so pleased with the new Tool album than you. The same example goes to the Devin Townsend mentioned work. Maybe to some that song can make difference. It is a matter of taste, so let's give him the freedom to rate the way he want. Since he explained his reasons, there is nothing wrong with his opinion.

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 17:48
akin: I wasn't complaining about the review - people have their own concept of rating, nothing wrong with that.

I will only enforce this on my website, and also only with very few albums where it makes sense:

- the track must be an obvious outtake/bonus 
- the playtime must be longer than 50 minutes without the track

People can still rate the track, but it will not be used to compute the album average.

-------------

Posted By: Dirk
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 18:01

That's an interesting statement. Does this mean that a record like Flower Power from TFK should
get a 5 star  rating just because Garden of dreams is 60 minutes of 5 star music?. I would certainly
like that but i think  it's against rating policy on this site.

Also on your own site  it couldn't be done because all the tracks have to be rated before you get a
visible album rating. This also goes for the Tool example, you have to rate these "bonus" tracks if they
are not officially bonus.

Posted By: akin
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 18:05
Ok, Outtakes and bonus from release versions I usually don't reveiw because in first place most of my collection is from vinyl, so no bonus. And in second place, when there is a bonus/outtake, usually there is a version that doesn't include these bonus, so it isn't fair. This outtakes/bonus are commonly released to aggregate value to the new cd versions, but they are not part of the album (for example, Deep Purple's Fireball has 7 songs on the original release and 16 on the deluxe edition on cd. I reviewed only 7 because this is the way my record is).

Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 18:07
Originally posted by Dirk Dirk wrote:

That's an interesting statement. Does this mean that a record like Flower Power from TFK should
get a 5 star  rating just because Garden of dreams is 60 minutes of 5 star music?. I would certainly
like that but i think  it's against rating policy on this site.

Also on your own site  it couldn't be done because all the tracks have to be rated before you get a
visible album rating. This also goes for the Tool example, you have to rate these "bonus" tracks if they
are not officially bonus.

I could simply mark these tracks as "bonus", as simple as that.

But I will not do that for the Tool album, the tracks don't meet the criteria that I posted above.

Candidates for what I mean are:

- Devin Townsend - Terria - "Outtake"
- The Flower Kings - Flower Power - "IKEA by Night"

Can't really think of any other albums right now.Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: crimson thing
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 19:30
Despite being a diehard fan, Id reckon KC to be one of the worst bands for inflicting "fillers" on the audience.

"Providence" from "Red" - half of you will probably agree with this, half think its a genius improv.

Somewhat more contentious - there are several tracks (IMHO) on "Starless & BB" not worth the candle. The band couldnt be a**ed to clean up & finish "The Mincer" - very lazy - & the tracks "The Great Deceiver", "We'll let you know" & "S&BB" itself all need polishing. Could have been a great album, with more work.

And "Thrak" - what the f++k is "Radio I", "Radio II", "Inner Garden I" & "Inner Garden II" all about? If theyre not filler I'll eat my entire CD collection. They're not even worthy of being bonus tracks on the "Robert Fripp - scraping the barrel - worst of the outtakes" CD (volume 6).

Boy do we progheads have to eat some crap with our caviar....

Posted By: Losendos
Date Posted: May 04 2006 at 22:06

In my opinion filler is used too readily. A band may make a piece that seems musically less inspired for other reasons than just to fill up space.
For example
 For Absent Friends contrasts between two epic tracks.
Silent sorrow in Empty Boats has atmospherics.
Are you ready Eddy ? leaves a light feeling after a heavy album. I like this track and think it finished  nicely an outstanding album
The Clap showcases an individual's talents in between the more soild group effort. Listening to several talented people performing at once can be tiring.

I'm not sure the ideal 40 minute album would contain several talented musicians playing complex pieces with exquisite melodies in epic tracks.

For that reason I prefer albums like Fragile to albums like Tales from Topographic Ocean . The latter is a hard listen.

-------------
How wonderful to be so profound

Posted By: ____VdGG____
Date Posted: May 05 2006 at 02:18
The end of The Mincer always pissed the f#$K out of me! I always thought my CD was scratched or that something was wrong with it... I agree sort of with your opinions on the rest of SABB, crimson, but not with Providence . It's my second favoite on the album (behind One More Red Nightmare)

-------------
Iron throated monsters are forcing the screams;
Mind and machinery box-press our dreams

Date Posted: May 05 2006 at 03:59
Originally posted by Losendos Losendos wrote:

In my opinion filler is used too readily. A band may make a piece that seems musically less inspired for other reasons than just to fill up space.
For example
 For Absent Friends contrasts between two epic tracks. >> not a filler IMHOThumbs Up More Fool Me on SEBTP is more of a filler >> the name even gives it away >> More Fill MeBig smile >> More Phil MeLOL
Silent sorrow in Empty Boats has atmospherics. >> see below
Are you ready Eddy ? leaves a light feeling after a heavy album. I like this track and think it finished  nicely an outstanding album >> already answered that >> A joke to eddie Offord I believe
The Clap showcases an individual's talents in between the more soild group effort. Listening to several talented people performing at once can be tiring. >> those five individual pieces are not fillers >> they are part of a conceptThumbs Up

I'm not sure the ideal 40 minute album would contain several talented musicians playing complex pieces with exquisite melodies in epic tracks.

For that reason I prefer albums like Fragile to albums like Tales from Topographic Ocean Clap.
The latter is a hard listen.>> almost obtuse

About the debate of Lamb lies down which is overlong (a debate regularly coming back on the forum) , the real material is almost three sides of vinyl, but not material enough to market, therefore time must be found >> this debate is not a figment of my imagination either

Lamb Lies Down

Disc 1 time: 45:34
1. The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (4:50) >> debatable but useless intro >> overlong, simple partly a filler >< second choice material anyway
2. Fly on a Windshield (4:23)>> core material
3. Broadway Melody of 1974 (0:33) >> Core Material
4. Cuckoo Cocoon (2:11)>> core material
5. In the Cage (8:15) >> central piece of first disc
6. The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging (2:45) >> core material
7. Back in N.Y.C. (5:42) >> weaker  but still quite central >> second choice material
8. Hairless Heart (2:13) >> core material
9. Counting Out Time (3:42) >> core material
10. The Carpet Crawlers (5:15) >> even if commercial >> core material
11. The Chamber of 32 Doors (5:40) >> core material

Disc 2 time: 48:49
1. Lillywhite Lilith (2:42)>> weaker >> second choice material
2. The Waiting Room (5:24)  >> debatable but I think a filler , but a good one
3. Anyway (3:07)>> core material
4. The Supernatural Anaesthetist (2:59) >> filler >> allows Gabriel to get into his suit
5. The Lamia (6:57) >> core material >> central piece of disc 2
6. Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats (3:07) >> filler >> allows Gabriel to get out of his suit
7. Colony of Slippermen (8:13) >> core material >> second central piece of disc 2
8. Ravine (2:04) >> second choice material >> not far from a filler
9. The Light Dies Down on Broadway (3:32)  >> logical outro , the story should end here but clearly the cojncept needed further chapters 
10. Riding the Scree (3:57) >> Filler >> not really that much of a filler, but it has the feel because it is too long and is more of second choice material
11. In the Rapids (2:26)>> filler >> not really that much of a filler, but it has the feel because it is too long and is more of second choice material
12. It. (4:15) >> filler>> not really that much of a filler, but it has the feel because it is too long and is more of second choice material

Total Time 94:23 >> keeping the green tracks would've made one single almost perfect album

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
Seamus is almso an excellent of a filler track
On the other hand, TFK is filling abums with fillersWinkLOL

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: Big Ears
Date Posted: May 05 2006 at 06:44

Are You Ready Eddie on Tarkus by ELP is not a filler. Seamus on Meddle by Pink Floyd is a filler. It wastes space on an otherwise great, but already very short, album. Everything but the title track on Open Your Eyes by Yes is a filler.

Fillers are a way of padding out albums to meet contractual deadlines, rather than considering the fans.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk