Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23129
Printed Date: May 20 2024 at 14:55
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Media questions
Posted By: steve12
Subject: Media questions
Date Posted: May 10 2006 at 08:09
Hi, id appreciate if a few of you could answer some questions on alternative rock for my media exam. The question is:

Discuss the cultural, social and moral value messages that alternative rock fans recieve from their music?

If you can answer these following questions i would be most grateful:

1. What would you class as alternative rock?

2.Do you think alternative rock fans receive a positive or negative message from the lyrics? Give examples of positive/negative

3.Are alternative rock fans influenced by the bands
fashion? Give examples

4. Do you think alternative rock could be responsible for deaths or suicides?

Thanks

Replies:
Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 10 2006 at 08:22
There will be many conflicts among any answers you get here. The first thing people will quibble over is 'what constitutes alternative rock?'

Whether the messages recieved from any form of music are positive or negative is down to the individuals emotional make up, and what they consider to be positive. Alt rock generally, as does prog rock, indicate a an ability to think for oneself, and not be lured by 'herd mentality'. You could argue that it therefore leads to being isolationist, but I disgaree, and that would be a huge generalisation.

No music leads to deaths and suicides without something pretty negative happening in the background. I'm not a psychologist, but I would imagine that teenage suicides, high school shootings etc are not down to Marilyn Manson (for example) but bad parenting and living will all manner of unreasonable pressures and expectations being put on the individual.

As an aside, I would say that mainstream hip hop is more synonomous with killing, drugs death and misery than any form of rock music.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: May 10 2006 at 08:54
Sorry, that's cheating!

For question 4, you might want to look up the court case with Judas Priest. That's all I'm saying.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: May 10 2006 at 08:57
I think you may have come to the wrong forums but I'll give your questions a goSmile.

1.Taking a literal meaning of the word "alternative", it could be anything your not likely to find in the charts, so prog rock would fit that description perfectly. However i think that the term gets used much more to describe Indie bands, though I'm no expert on these and maybe wrong. 

2.No, as Blacksword mentioned above, Gangsta' rap is much more likely to have a negative influence through its glorification of the gangsta life style (horrible term). But it is all down to how the indavidual interprets te lyrics that he/she hears.

3. I honestly wouldnt have a clue, I take no notice of what the musicians are wearing (as long as they are wearing clothesWink) but more on what they are playing.

4. No, I think its more down to the mental state of the indavidual and the lifes that they lead, and what everyone else thinks/expects of/from them.

Hpe this helps. 

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: May 10 2006 at 12:35
Marilyn Manson is alternative??? In the UK the Madchester scene was alternative............................ e.g. the Happy Mondays, while Manson was into a particular type of metal...........................

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: May 10 2006 at 15:07
Originally posted by steve12 steve12 wrote:

4. Do you think alternative rock could be responsible for deaths or suicides?

Yes, but it would only provide as a catalyst. Those already showing signs of instability might find something in a song lyric to justify their already present suicidal tendancies. A well-balanced individual isn't looking to "off" themselves, thus would not take song lyrics to heart.    

-------------

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: May 10 2006 at 18:59
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Marilyn Manson is alternative??? In the UK the Madchester scene was alternative............................ e.g. the Happy Mondays, while Manson was into a particular type of metal...........................

Manson... metal?

don't say that you are undermining the genre... LOL

Posted By: steve12
Date Posted: May 15 2006 at 04:40
Much appreciate the replies thankyou, they are very helpful. Question 4 is a very debatable question. I feel when young teenagers home lives are bad, their parents don't treat them right and have no future to look forward too, the only thing they enjoy is their music, therefore the message they recieve in their music can help them to decide what they want to do, sometimes that decision can be suicide.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk