Print Page | Close Window

Opeth Drummer Quits

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23258
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 22:29
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Opeth Drummer Quits
Posted By: WaywardSon
Subject: Opeth Drummer Quits
Date Posted: May 12 2006 at 21:23
Just heard about this. The drummer for Opeth has quit and they have already found a replacement.

Replies:
Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: May 12 2006 at 21:26
They have been working with a few different drummers on the Ghost Reveries tour because of Lopez's constant health problems.

I figured it would happen sooner or later.It's a shame because Lopez is a great drummer.

-------------

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: May 12 2006 at 21:35
That is sad news indeed, any ideas who the new drummer is?  I will be seeing them next month, so I hope it doesn't affect their performaces too much.

-------------

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: May 12 2006 at 21:40
Is there a link?

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: WaywardSon
Date Posted: May 12 2006 at 21:47
I read it at Blabbermouth.net
The new drummer is Martin "Axe" Axenrot.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: May 12 2006 at 22:08
Lopez is just a beast behind the kit.  This is a real tragedy.

Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 01:17
My friend will be sad to hear this, she's a big Opeth fan and has met them all, when they toured the US.

-------------

Posted By: Man Made God
Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 03:25
Well, this absolutely sucks, as Lopez definately has the skills to drum with Opeth. But on the other hand, this was bound to happen. Even if he got better, he should have to go into rehab to get his strenths back I reckon.

His replacement is indeed Martin 'Axe' Axenrot. I guess that's a pretty good replacement, as it isn't a 'new' guy or something. Hailed on many sites as one of the greatest drummers to arise from Sweden over the last couple of years.
Well, This 'Axe' guy has at least got the right name for a drummer LOL

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/manmadegod/?chartstyle=ScarlettJohansson1">
Focus on the music... Focus!

Posted By: Trickster F.
Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 07:56

That's unfotunate. I still hope he recovers and lives on.

Still, as long as Akerfeldt in it and full of inspiration, the lack of an amazing drummer won't be a dramatic change in Opeth's sound. I hope.

-- Ivan

Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 08:02
Originally posted by ivansfr0st ivansfr0st wrote:

Still, as long as Akerfeldt in it and full of inspiration, the lack of an amazing drummer won't be a dramatic change in Opeth's sound. I hope.

-- Ivan

Well, he'll be allright I guess, because he now wants to focus more on his own project, whatever that may be. When you're recovering and thinking about what you're going to do next, that's a pretty good sign I guess Smile

-------------

Posted By: alan_pfeifer
Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 08:23
That's a shame.

Posted By: Ty1020
Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 10:33
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

That is sad news indeed, any ideas who the new drummer is?  I will be seeing them next month, so I hope it doesn't affect their performaces too much.

It shouldn't; they've been doing the entire Ghost Reveries tour without him, and I think they all just assumed he'd quit sooner or later considering the circumstances, so I'm sure they've been prepared for this for a long time.

Still, that's really sad. Lopez is one of my favourite drummers, and his drumming is one of my favourite parts about Opeth. I hope he works out his health problems and continues to make great music in the future.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Ty1020/">

Posted By: Trickster F.
Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 11:35
Originally posted by Man Made God Man Made God wrote:

-- Ivan

Well, he'll be allright I guess, because he now wants to focus more on his own project, whatever that may be. When you're recovering and thinking about what you're going to do next, that's a pretty good sign I guess Smile

Lopez has a new project? More information please. Smile

-- Ivan

Posted By: Tristan Mulders
Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 12:55
Too bad, he was a great drummer... still is actually.

If playing effected his health he has taken done the right thing to quite the band!

-------------
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=784 - HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."

Posted By: lightbulb_son
Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 17:16
Is that true!!!
Lopez is an absolutely amazing drummer. I didn't know anything about health issues. Wow that sucks i can't imagine Opeth without him. Still I guess as long as Mikael's there Opeth will still rule

-------------
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 23:57
I get to see Opeth in about four weeks time, so I shall listen carefully to Axenrot and see how good he is.  I really hope he can fit Lopez' shoes.  Not knowing too much about drumming, I cannot comment too much on Lopez' drumming, but I know he was amazing.

-------------

Posted By: slowfire85
Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 09:18
Axenrot is a talented drummer, he can play extremely tight and fast without missing a beat like he does with his other band(Witchery). He's not really new, I've seen him on the Lamentations tour in 2004 with them, and twice on the Ghost Reveries tour, and he plays just as well as Lopez. It's sad to see Lopez go, his new band will probably be a study project, I think flying was part of the reason he was having panic attacks, or maybe it was that show they had planned in Jordan. Good luck to him in the future!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
What is prog rock ?

It is music that does progress. Progressive music takes a riff, turns it inside out, plays it upside down and the other way around, and explores its potential.

K.Emerson

Posted By: Antennas
Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 09:28
This is really sad news, but no surprise - I read that Lopez had been suffering from anxiety attacks for quite some time, reason why he wasn't with Opeth on their Ghost Reveries-tour.

And I have to say... I really really missed him.
Axenrot is a good drummer, okay, he's tight and all that - but Lopez gave the band some extra 'swing' which I severely missed during Opeth's concerts last year. Lopez is a special drummer with a unique style, Axenrot is... well... good, but there's at least 10.000 other drummers in the world just as good.

I hope Lopez will be able to deal with his problems and come back one day.

-------------

Jesus never managed to figure out the theremin either

Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 11:23

Originally posted by Man Made God Man Made God wrote:

-- Ivan

Lopez has a new project? More information please. Smile

-- Ivan

Quote After being plagued by illness and anxiety attacks Lopez decided he wanted to concentrate fully on his own project, currently unnamed.

Source: blabbermouth.net Confused

Sorry, haven't got any more info at the moment!

-------------

Posted By: Ty1020
Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 22:04
Originally posted by lightbulb_son lightbulb_son wrote:

Is that true!!!
Lopez is an absolutely amazing drummer. I didn't know anything about health issues. Wow that sucks i can't imagine Opeth without him. Still I guess as long as Mikael's there Opeth will still rule

I saw them without him a few months back and the drumming was just as fantastic, if not moreso, than on the albums. The guy they've replaced him with is incredibly talented and has a style very similar to Lopez's, so I'm not too concerned. They did an extended jam on Closure with him and the drumming was some of the best I've ever heard, so no worries there Clap.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Ty1020/">

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: July 03 2006 at 15:41
Bump

Posted By: Revan
Date Posted: July 03 2006 at 15:43
The worse part for me is that Opeth will tour South America for the first time on September and i'm not going to be able to see Martin Lopez destoying the drums!

-------------

Posted By: WillieThePimp
Date Posted: July 06 2006 at 16:15
It was a little bit of a dissapointment. I saw them last October with the new drummer and was able to meet all of them and recieve autographs. I used the "Still Life" booklet and had every member sign over their pictures... unfortunately Martin was not able to sign next to his, but "Axe" was very nice about it and signed somewhere in the middle. As for Per, I laughed and said that he could sign on the guy reaching out in between their pictures.

Keeping with the discussion though... Axenrot did very well behind the kit. The only noticeable thing was the outro to the title track "Deliverance" was played slightly slower and with less ferocity, but i'm sure he got the hang of it later in the tour.

This also makes me wonder how Mendez (bass) feels about this.

-------------
You can't possibly hear the last movement of Beethoven's Seventh and go slow. ~Oscar Levant, explaining his way out of a speeding ticket

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk