Print Page | Close Window

Coheed and Cambria

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Suggest New Bands and Artists
Forum Description: Suggest, create polls, and classify new bands you would like included on Prog Archives
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23299
Printed Date: May 12 2024 at 09:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Coheed and Cambria
Posted By: lastdodobird
Subject: Coheed and Cambria
Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 23:44
I've listened to http://www.last.fm/music/Coheed+and+Cambria - Coheed and Cambria 's studio albums even before I got interested in this whole progressive rock thing, and I've heard and read a lot of people call them progressive rock.

However, I've also heard other people argue against this; and, they also aren't listed here on progarchives... so... are they prog or aren't they?

And... what are your thoughts on this band? I think they're pretty decent.

Replies:
Posted By: Progdrummer05
Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 23:48
oh dude definitely prog rock in fact i've heard critics claiming them as the next Rush but its weird their first album had some prog moments in their and then they really stepped up in their second and third.  But yea definite prog band and one of my favorites as well

-------------
Carry On My Wayward Son

Posted By: heyitsthatguy
Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 23:50
Yes! A Coheed thread again! Finally!.....um....anyways.....Yeah they're what helped in part to turn me onto prog. However, in the traditional sense, no, they aren't full blown prog. However, they incorporate many elements of prog, therefore, I think they should be filed on PA under "Prog-Related". I still listen to them a lot, and if you're looking for the most progressive album by them, in my opinion, its In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3. Don't be thrown off by the "emo" tag, their lyrics have NOTHING to do w/ emo stuff. Well, someone dies like every song, but its a STORY, so its cool.

-------------

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 23:51
I have Good apollo... and I find them quite progy. I think they do deserve to be here at least as prog related.

-------------

Posted By: richeym
Date Posted: May 13 2006 at 23:54
Oh god, this thread will probably turn into a big argumentative mess as all C&C threads on forums tend to.

1. They're not like Rush, their vocalist just happens to sing a bit like Geddy

2. they're not traditional sounding prog rock, but they're certainly 'proggy', and are quite progressive and adventurous (3 concept albums all telling 1 big story, some pretty damn experimental rock music etc).

v.good band though, I'm glad they've got popular, I remember seeing them live supporting Thursday many years ago (2002?) and thinking they were really f**king good.

-------------
www.myspace.com/songsofexile">

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 00:13

I wouldn't say they're prog related, they're definitly a full blown art rock band. I hope that theyll get added here someday.

The Rush camparisons are very annoying and yeah I agree the only similarity is the high pitched voice of Cladio. They draw many  more influences from Floyd, in their sound, and their live show.(Taking the stage to "One Of These Days" and singing to the guitar solos like Gilmour)

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Inferno
Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 00:16
They may not be Traditional Prog rock but who wants to hear the same whole thing that they did 30 years ago. They we're very awesome band but evolution in the genre is good too you know!

I happen to think that C&C are one of the few bands that evolve in that genre, like The Mars Volta, Dredg, Oceansize, Amplifier, etc.

I'm sick of hearing Clones of Legendary bands like The Watch (Genesis), or Wobbler, Magic Pie, etc..

They are good but hell, Try something different then what's been done before. Everybody says that pop is boring because they do the same old thing on every single song and don't evolve in the genre...well, they are the same but in the Prog Genre!!

GO Coheed GO!

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 00:19
While not my cup of tea, I'm sure C&C could be fit somewhere into this site, considering we have the likes of Queen, Purple and Primus...

Yeah

Posted By: Mr. Sanchez
Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 02:08
I think C&C aren't so much progressive, moreso...kind of 80's style rock/metal. They have alot of prog-ish moments in their albums though so I would agree with C&C being "Prog-Related", but they are definately not prog.

-------------
It's Calling Me Back To My Home.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 03:45
I don't really see them as prog.Very good band but barely prog.Just being good doesn't qualify them!

Posted By: lastdodobird
Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 06:28
Well... this just got moved to the non-prog section, so I guess that answers the question. LOL

Posted By: Tristan Mulders
Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 06:37
Definitely prog-related.

-------------
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=784 - HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."

Posted By: nursethisviper
Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 08:09

Prog is a heavy influence on C&C but they still sound too mainstream for me -- emo is a big influence on the vocal style and the music itself. The lyrics aren't, which fools some people into thinking they have nothing to do with emo... but Claudio screams too much to not be influenced by emo. 

I guess prog-related would be a good category for them.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/nursethisviper/?chartstyle=redfive"> Proggin' it up eight days a week...

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 15:12
I have said on previous threads that they are a 'prog related' band at best. Really, all I hear is emo rock fused with Rush. Mars Volta have trod a quite similar path yet aren't quite as emo (thank God as I really dislike that genre) and are far more musically innovative. I don't think they are any more progressive than metal bands like Iron Maiden, Helloween, Metallica- possibly less, imo.

Posted By: FragileDT
Date Posted: May 15 2006 at 11:54
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

I have said on previous threads that they are a 'prog related' band at best. Really, all I hear is emo rock fused with Rush. Mars Volta have trod a quite similar path yet aren't quite as emo (thank God as I really dislike that genre) and are far more musically innovative. I don't think they are any more progressive than metal bands like Iron Maiden, Helloween, Metallica- possibly less, imo.

I agree with this 100%. I don't find much about their music prog except for the fact that they do long concept albums that span 3 or 4 discs. When I hear their music it reminds me of a more metal and more sophisticated Taking Back Sunday. It's not bad music, it's okay I guess, but certainly not prog (prog related at best.)

The mars volta are very innovative and are pushing boundaries with their concept albums, whereas C&C are just playing standard rock/metal/emo with some prog influence.

-------------
One likes to believe
In the freedom of music
But glittering prizes
And endless Compromises
Shatter the illusion
Of integrity

Posted By: Kailiebe
Date Posted: June 28 2006 at 14:48
Coheed and Cambria are amazing - they are definitely prog rock. Claudio Sanchez said that they considered themsleves prog rock, maybe not very good, but definitely prog rock. Just listening to their albums though, you can tell that they have been heavily influenced by classical and folk music (listen to hidden track at end of Willing Well IV: The Final Cut).

I wouldn't class them as emo though.

-------------
I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't iy.

Posted By: Teaflax
Date Posted: June 28 2006 at 16:14
They definitely have Prog elements, but the basic songwriting is very, very common, sadly. This is one of those bands I really wanted to like, because their hearts seem to be in the right place, but too much of it sounds like regular Rock/Metal to really complement the proggy passages and structures.

Prog-related? Yes.

I think they may yet have a real prog album in them, though. They seem to be developing in the right direction.

-------------

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: June 28 2006 at 20:41
Hmmm, well I have their recent album and I like a few tracks, but some are really quite awful as well.  I also had the pleasure of seeing them live... but they didn't have their usual drummer, so they finished early.  They also didn't sound prog in any way live.  They finished with a long guitar jam type thing, which was very good, I admit, but they played it because the sit-in drummer didn't know the music.

I don't think they're prog from what I've heard.  The "proggy" moments to me, seem to be at the beginning and end of tracks.  Once the tracks actually start, they're pretty standard rock fair.  Welcome Home is actually a good tune and has a nice intro, but it's not especially prog.

I've never thought of Rush as terribly prog either.  Rush are Art Rock (not anything to do with prog rock) and that is also where Co&Ca belong.

-------------

Posted By: Dr4Wazo
Date Posted: June 29 2006 at 00:46
We would need to add a new section Progressive-Commercial-Crap-Rock

Posted By: video vertigo
Date Posted: June 29 2006 at 01:00
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13176&KW -
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=13176&KW =

this thread might be interesting. I think there are others as well.

-------------
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa

Posted By: coffeeintheface
Date Posted: June 30 2006 at 04:38
if The Mars Volta are prog then Coheed & Cambria is. The Mars Volta has just has much of an "emo" sound as C&C.

-------------
OBQM: www.soundcloud.com/onebigquestionmark (solo project)
nQuixote: www.soundcloud.com/n-quixote (ambient + various musical ideas)

Posted By: Moatilliatta
Date Posted: June 30 2006 at 13:13
Originally posted by coffeeintheface coffeeintheface wrote:

if The Mars Volta are prog then Coheed & Cambria is. The Mars Volta has just has much of an "emo" sound as C&C.

No they don't. Though I don't think Coheed bears much of an "emo" sound, I can see where someone would feel led to give them that label, but The Mars Volta by no stretch could be considered "emo."

Posted By: coffeeintheface
Date Posted: June 30 2006 at 13:54
Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

Originally posted by coffeeintheface coffeeintheface wrote:

No they don't. Though I don't think Coheed bears much of an "emo" sound, I can see where someone would feel led to give them that label, but The Mars Volta by no stretch could be considered "emo."

That's my point. NEITHER of them carry much of it, but if one were to make an argument that they did, then it's equal for both of them.

-------------
OBQM: www.soundcloud.com/onebigquestionmark (solo project)
nQuixote: www.soundcloud.com/n-quixote (ambient + various musical ideas)

Date Posted: June 30 2006 at 16:59
Naw, the main difference is the fact that C&C's basic compositions are pretty common and basic Rock/Metal, whereas TMV's bear hardly a hint of that.

-------------

Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: June 30 2006 at 18:11
Co&Ca are far more prog than most of the bands listed on the archives... They deserve a place here.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Date Posted: June 30 2006 at 19:09
If C&C apply, there's no way to keep Biffy Clyro out, since they're far more Prog than most Prog Metal bands.

-------------

Posted By: kingofbizzare
Date Posted: July 04 2006 at 00:36
Having only heard Good Apollo, I'm Burning Star, I'd say they're prog. If they do ever show up here, I'd put them in Art Rock.

Although a lot of people compare Claudio's voice to Geddy Lee, I also think he often sounds a lot like Peter Gabriel (for a good example, listen to Always & Never, especially the higher pitched sections).

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/kingofbizzare/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">

Posted By: Bowzo
Date Posted: July 04 2006 at 11:44
I don't see why good progressive bands, who get better and more complex as their albums go on (look at SSTB then GA and try to tell me they never completely evolved) don't deserve to be here, while clones of good prog bands (Pagan's Mind and their bland predictable generic songs and their dumb rip-off of Learning to Live by a REAL prog band) do.

I'm sure that anything that stops them from being on this site is going to be a non-issue by their next album. They just keep evolving. From primarily emo with silly guitar tone, to primarily prog with good guitar tone (and a drummer who got #5 on the Modern Drummer polls for "Prog Drummers"). Their next album will be sure to clear up any gray areas for you guys with your minds closed on an evolving genre. ;)

Posted By: Zadok
Date Posted: July 04 2006 at 14:34
They don't seem that special to me. I hope the vocalist sounds like that naturally, because if he's putting it on it's very, very sad.

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: July 04 2006 at 17:11
They're progressive in their own right, but not really "prog". I think they belong in the Prog Related category. Art Rock is a bit of a stretch, but that might change with future albums. 

Posted By: Scratchy
Date Posted: July 04 2006 at 22:57
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I wouldn't say they're prog related, they're definitly a full blown art rock band. I hope that theyll get added here someday.

The Rush camparisons are very annoying and yeah I agree the only similarity is the high pitched voice of Cladio. They draw many  more influences from Floyd, in their sound, and their live show.(Taking the stage to "One Of These Days" and singing to the guitar solos like Gilmour)

Haven't they got a song called '2113' - I don't think they have even tried to disguise their admiration for Rush.The singer sounds almost exactly like Geddy at times - others not so much.There is definately a more Thin Lizzy sound to their latest Album with perhaps a little Iron Maiden & probably other similar influences.There is definately the Rush/Police sound still remaining though.I think the singer has started to sound a little like Phil Lynott mixed with Geddy + Gilmour on accoustic bits.Perhaps there's a little Smashing Pumpkins in their sound as well?

Retro - Proto - Prog Metal would describe their sound I believe.....Emo Prog.....New Prog ?????

Yo - Ho - Oh - Oh is not very lyrically Prog though.Those harmony lines are a bit annoying.

Overall - they are O.K. - better than Kaddisfly - their nearest sound to them ,I suppose ,another Emo Prog? group or My Chemical Romance or Thrice even.

Posted By: Ghandi 2
Date Posted: July 04 2006 at 23:00

http://www.somethingawful.com/index.php?a=3619 - The truth about Coheed and Cambria. LOL

I do, and will always, vote no because to have a band that has such ridiculous album titles on PA would be a travesty. Really. :-)

-------------
"Never forget that the human race with technology is like an alcoholic with a barrel of wine."
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum: Because in their hearts, everyone secretly loves the Unabomber.

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: July 05 2006 at 03:29
Originally posted by Scratchy Scratchy wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Haven't they got a song called '2113' - I don't think they have even tried to disguise their admiration for Rush.The singer sounds almost exactly like Geddy at times - others not so much.There is definately a more Thin Lizzy sound to their latest Album with perhaps a little Iron Maiden & probably other similar influences.There is definately the Rush/Police sound still remaining though.I think the singer has started to sound a little like Phil Lynott mixed with Geddy + Gilmour on accoustic bits.Perhaps there's a little Smashing Pumpkins in their sound as well?

Retro - Proto - Prog Metal would describe their sound I believe.....Emo Prog.....New Prog ?????

Yo - Ho - Oh - Oh is not very lyrically Prog though.Those harmony lines are a bit annoying.

Overall - they are O.K. - better than Kaddisfly - their nearest sound to them ,I suppose ,another Emo Prog? group or My Chemical Romance or Thrice even.

Yes they do, and for the first three seconds of the track they play the outro, of the intro to 2112. I'm saying their comparison to Rush get annoying in that they don't really bear much remeblence to them musically. I've never denied their influence by them.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: UtUmNo1
Date Posted: October 30 2006 at 06:48
I'm not sure what the policy on bumping old threads is here so I'm going to find out the hard way. ;)

Given that Mastodon has recently been added to the archives, I would suggest that C&C has a claim to at least prog related on the strength of their concept/theme alone. 

In trying to be as unbiased as possible (I like both bands), I cannot really seperate them in terms of 'progginess' when I judge each artist's music from a holistic point of view.

Date Posted: October 30 2006 at 09:27
Nothing wrong with posting in old threads. Better than 2500+ individual topics, right? Wink

-------------

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: October 30 2006 at 17:59
I've posted this many times but I think it bears repeating. Adding bands solely on the basis of 'the band did concept albums' is a VERY dodgy line. So have The Osmonds, David Cassidy, Hall and Oates, Frank Sinatra, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, The Kinks etc. Now would you expect any of those on a prog site?

Coheed and Cambria I've said before I don't really think they've done a prog album yet. They are striving for something but not getting there, held back by that irksome 'emo' sound. I have real problems accepting them as a prog act as a result of that overbearing emo influence.

Date Posted: October 31 2006 at 14:32
There's definitely a relation to prog there though. Just listen to The Willing Well

-------------

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: October 31 2006 at 15:49
Originally posted by Tristan Mulders Tristan Mulders wrote:

There's definitely a relation to prog there though. Just listen to The Willing Well

I second this. Thumbs Up

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk