Print Page | Close Window

Blind Guardian release new album

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23568
Printed Date: March 19 2024 at 00:22
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Blind Guardian release new album
Posted By: avestin
Subject: Blind Guardian release new album
Date Posted: May 19 2006 at 11:47
Since Blind Guardian has been approved by the prog-metal team, I will post this here (prog news).

The following is taken from their official website http://www.blind-guardian.com/. It is a message from http://www.blind-guardian.com/new_version/band_members.php3 - Hansi Kürsch :

A Twist In The Myth details
2006-05-16
javascript:window.close%28%29;">close
Dear friends,

Time to break the silence, time to say hello. As you all most probably know: we have finished the album some days ago and started doing some first shows already. It has been a blast to be back on stage again and do these small shows in Rijssen and Vosseljaar. We appreciate the kindness and the support of the people there and enjoyed the club atmosphere a lot. Istanbul was a great experience and "The Bard's Song" sung by more than 2000 Turkish fans has been nothing but spectacular. I could go on like that but I guess what you are more interested in at the moment is the new album. Even though the secret is revealed already I would like to point out one more time the album is entitled "A Twist in the Myth" and that's just because I unfortunately could not find allies for my most favorite album title suggestion "A Day at the Races". :)

With this album, I think, we have widened the range of the Blind Guardian universe more than we have ever done before. Comparing it with a compass "Fly" would be west, "Skalds and Shadows" east, "This will never end" south and "The Edge" would be north. Does that mean anything? No. But it sounded good, when I first thought about it. Now I think it's not worth to be deleted.

In terms of quality we have had a very good feeling during the whole recording session. But I nevertheless have do admit, that the songs did make a gigantic step during the last days of recording and the mixing session.

While doing the last recording steps, which traditionally are reserved for backing vocals, all songs have made a significant raise in quality. To give you a very small idea about what to expect, I tell you this: "The Edge" and "In search of the Lionheart" certainly will achieve absolute cult status within a very short amount of time. They are very heavy, almost thrashy, though very progressive in certain ways.

"Skalds and Shadows" will prove its longevity in numerous live concerts. To those who consider it a "The Bard's Song" rip off: the album version clearly proves it is a "A Past and Future Secret" rip off, with a different melody, different rhythm pattern and different lyrics, which reminds one of "Harvest of Sorrow". :)

Marcus and I composed a number called "All the King's Horses", which will be released on the Japanese version of "A Twist in the Myth" and on a single we are going to release in the beginning of 2007. It is a great song which will set emotions free, I am sure.

We are most excited about what your reaction to "Another Stranger Me" – an aggressive and powerful Heavy Rocker – will be. The song has great potential.

A very good mixture of the Blind Guardian blend we have found in the songs "This will never end", "Straight through the mirror", "Carry the blessed home", "Turn the Page", "New Order" and "Otherland". These songs will be enjoyable for all B.G. fans. They contain most strong elements of the past and a very good amount of new elements – so they offer a perfect mixture of both worlds, i.e. they present a constant mixture of bombastic elements, surprising breaks, an endless amount of new and very catchy melodies and the right grade of heaviness. Nuclear Blast is going to release a digi pack version containing interviews and one bonus track. This song is called "Dead Sound of Misery" and presents a dark version of "Fly". While mixing the album it was very difficult for us to decide which version would be the better one. Knowing "Fly" already you will be led from surprise to surprise. The song clearly proves nothing is how it seems to be.

The album is going to be released in the first days of September. As you all know by now Anthony Clarkson did a great cover artwork and Nikolay Simkin's booklet design is simply outstanding.

Some of the new songs will be presented on the road when we will start touring in September. We will use the summer break to check out which songs will fit in best to the program.

So everything and everyone is in pretty good shape. All preparations for the Fall tour are on schedule and the interest in tickets for the tour is really high. It pretty much looks like there are even more fans willing to see us than in 2002 which was the most successful tour we have done up to now. I'd better let you go and stop here. One more time we would like to thank for your patience and can't wait to hear and see your reaction to the new songs. As soon as there are some download samples, we will let you know. Your endurance will be rewarded.

"A Twist In The Myth" shall contain the following songs:
  1. This Will Never End (5:07)
  2. Otherland (5:14)
  3. Turn The Page (4:16)
  4. Fly (5:43)
  5. Carry The Blessed Home (4:03)
  6. Another Stranger Me (4:36)
  7. Straight Through The Mirror (5:48)
  8. Lionheart (4:15)
  9. Skalds And Shadows (3:13)
  10. The Edge (4:27)
  11. The New Order (4:49)
This is the cover for the upcoming album.

http://www.blind-guardian.com/new_version/images/albums/a_twist_in_the_myth.jpg">

Take care,

Hansi

-------------
http://hangingsounds.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Hanging Sounds

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Replies:
Posted By: R o V e R
Date Posted: May 19 2006 at 15:45
i love  "Blind Guardian"
Thumbs Up

Posted By: Duncan
Date Posted: May 19 2006 at 18:46
Looks like they decided not to take any chances with cover art this time round LOL

Posted By: GuilhermeDrigo
Date Posted: May 20 2006 at 11:09
Blind Guardian is great
but is it really aproved to prog metal?
their albuns aren't available to review

-------------
"To be honest, I don't know what i'm looking for"

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: May 20 2006 at 11:15
Blind Guardian have been cleared for addition by the prog metal team, but they are also considered to be a "controversial addition". But there is a high probability that they will be added in the next few weeks.

BTW: Their most progressive album is Nightfall in Middle Earth, and they will be added mostly because of this album. Other than that, only single songs of their other albums (most importantly the epical last track of their last album) are prog, and I doubt that their next album will be progressive. Nevertheless NiME is a masterpiece of Progressive Power Metal for me, and I will fight for their addition.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recent Listens tracked with AwesomeProg.com:

Posted By: Marc Baum
Date Posted: May 21 2006 at 20:32
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Blind Guardian have been cleared for addition by the prog metal team, but they are also considered to be a "controversial addition". But there is a high probability that they will be added in the next few weeks.

BTW: Their most progressive album is Nightfall in Middle Earth, and they will be added mostly because of this album. Other than that, only single songs of their other albums (most importantly the epical last track of their last album) are prog, and I doubt that their next album will be progressive. Nevertheless NiME is a masterpiece of Progressive Power Metal for me, and I will fight for their addition.

GREAT, I keep my fingers crossed as well. Have all their albums and can't wait to review them...
By the way Mike, when we talk about additions, how is it with the prog metal band Communic from Norway? I just submitted informations about them, hopefully they will get added as well. Would be very happy about it. Awesome band!

-------------
"All you need to do is sit back, and acquire the taste." - GENTLE GIANT

Date Posted: May 22 2006 at 02:50
Communic have also been cleared for addition - as prog-related. We'll probably wait until the team members have listened to their new album to see whether we still want to add them as prog-related.

BTW: Nevermore have been cleared as well. You can monitor our votes by bookmarking the prog metal chart: http://www.ratingfreak.com/home/progarchives/progmetalchart.xhtml

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recent Listens tracked with AwesomeProg.com:

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: May 22 2006 at 04:13
But Blind Guardians plays Speed Power Metal with Symphonic atmospheres and arrangiaments!!!

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2006 at 04:33
^ Did you listen to Nightfall in Middle Earth?

-------------

Posted By: Paul K.
Date Posted: May 22 2006 at 06:47
Good news, although I'm not a fan of band. I didn't get it even in days of my ardent love of power-metal. But I recognize, that they're quiet unique and interesting (A Night At The Opera is something that should be heard to be believed - there so many layers on this album, truly progressive work); particulary I'm looking forward to their recording with philharmonic orchestra with Hansi at vocals (no guitars, drums!).

-------------
Weasels ripped my flesh

Date Posted: May 22 2006 at 07:27
Originally posted by Paul K. Paul K. wrote:

Good news, although I'm not a fan of band. I didn't get it even in days of my ardent love of power-metal. But I recognize, that they're quiet unique and interesting (A Night At The Opera is something that should be heard to be believed - there so many layers on this album, truly progressive work); particulary I'm looking forward to their recording with philharmonic orchestra with Hansi at vocals (no guitars, drums!).

Do you really think that A Night at the Opera is more progressive than Nightfall in Middle-Earth?

BTW: If you're into Power Metal bands performing their music in a purely classical (symphony orchestra) setting without drums or guitars ... make sure you listen to Epica - The Score.

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2006 at 10:29

Communic have also been cleared for addition - as prog-related. We'll probably wait until the team members have listened to their new album to see whether we still want to add them as prog-related.

BTW: Nevermore have been cleared as well. You can monitor our votes by bookmarking the prog metal chart: http://www.ratingfreak.com/home/progarchives/progmetalchart.xhtml

That's good news, but I was expecting to including them as progressive metal, as they are more progressive in nature as Nevermore and have mainly lengthy songs around the eight - ten minutes mark. They are even more progressive than Blind Guardian.

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2006 at 10:36
^ Nightfall in Middle Earth is more progressive than the first Communic album - I haven't heard the current release yet. Remember that we vote on an album basis, considering the bands' most progressive albums and not their entire discography.

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2006 at 10:58

^I tell you, Communic's new album, as their debut is even more progressive than NFIM-E, which I have listened about 100 times. Simple plain, it is just a bombast power/speed metal album with prog relations. Both of Communic's albums have the same prog portions of any modern progressive metal album, which is included on this site. And by the way, why not including Metallica for ...And Justice For All as well?

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2006 at 11:12
Why not include every metal album that features a time signature change?Wink

Seriously, it's all a bit more complicated. NFIM-E is very well constructed, contains a tremendous level of detail in the harmonies (guitar+vocals), folky/medieval elements, great concept, lots of different moods and tempos, ... definitely more than "bombast power/speed".

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2006 at 11:19

Originally posted by Paul K. Paul K. wrote:

Do you really think that A Night at the Opera is more progressive than Nightfall in Middle-Earth?BTW: If you're into Power Metal bands performing their music in a purely classical (symphony orchestra) setting without drums or guitars ... make sure you listen to Epica - The Score.

Yep, I do. Although, I had a tough time digesting both albums, I still find Opera to be superior in complexity. Its awesome multilayerness is something that highlights whole album and makes it outstanding effort not only in confines of power-metal but in whole genre at all.

Truth to tell, I don't like Nightfall at all. It's interesting now and then but nothing that could be described as truly unique and progressive. Just a good ol' concept power-metal album.    

All in all, if BG's gonna be added to PA it should be because of A Night At The Opera, IMHO.

Thx for recommendations, I'm a sucker for classical music and related stuff

-------------
Weasels ripped my flesh

Date Posted: May 22 2006 at 11:26

Bombast power/speed metal WITH PROG RELATIONS (including the folky/medieval elements, the tempo changes and details etc.). It's not that complicated though. Communic's music is more extensive, progressive in nature, even it misses the folk/medival approach of Blind Guardian in their NFIM-E album. The high use of the progressive time-signatures of Communic's sound specially make it even more complex and progressive compared to BG's sound on NFIM-E. Listen to the breaks and the complicated riffage in their songs...that's progressive metal!

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2006 at 11:34
It's one type of progressive metal, but not the only one. Time signature changes and other technical gimmicks are not a required element of prog ... although I of course agree that in prog metal they are very widely used.

Think about it: Is it really "progressive" in the true sense of the word to use complex time signatures the way that Communic do? I mean, it is a very old technique, it's been around for more than 20 years in prog metal and much much longer in other genres. I really apprecitate bands who do this in a truly artistic way (Communic manage to do it in many songs, but not all), but I have even more respect for bands that try to find other ways of being progressive. And IMO Blind Guardian found a perfect mix of stylistic elements on Nightfall in Middle-Earth. There's not a second album like it!

-------------

Date Posted: May 22 2006 at 11:43
Agreed that NFIM-E is a highly original album with more use of unusual elements outide the metal genre, but does that mean it's more progressive in nature than the sound of Communic? I believe not. And that the complex time-signatures are a old, traditional elementary puzzle-pieces of the progressive sound stop it from beeing artistic? It's not only that Communic use these signatures for the hell of lacking artistic approaches. There are beautiful melodic parts with acoustic instruments and typical progressive trademark arrangements. That makes it artistic as well, only in a different direction than Guardian's on NFIM-E.

-------------

Posted By: razifa
Date Posted: May 23 2006 at 02:44
Blind Guardian is NOT progressive at all, but it is a spectacular band. I hope this release is better than the previous "A night at the opera" which got me a bit disappointed...

-------------
**razifa**

Date Posted: May 23 2006 at 03:34
Originally posted by Marc Baum Marc Baum wrote:

Agreed that NFIM-E is a highly original album with more use of unusual elements outide the metal genre, but does that mean it's more progressive in nature than the sound of Communic? I believe not. And that the complex time-signatures are a old, traditional elementary puzzle-pieces of the progressive sound stop it from beeing artistic? It's not only that Communic use these signatures for the hell of lacking artistic approaches. There are beautiful melodic parts with acoustic instruments and typical progressive trademark arrangements. That makes it artistic as well, only in a different direction than Guardian's on NFIM-E.

In a way I think that Communic are regressive, and Blind Guardian are progressive (at least on NiME, and also on IotOS). But that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy listening to Communic, or that they would receive much lesser ratings from me. They're doing with Nevermore what The Flower Kings do with Genesis, and why not?

-------------

Date Posted: May 23 2006 at 03:39
Originally posted by razifa razifa wrote:

Blind Guardian is NOT progressive at all, but it is a spectacular band. I hope this release is better than the previous "A night at the opera" which got me a bit disappointed...

They're not, but Opera is very progressive.

-------------
Weasels ripped my flesh

Date Posted: May 24 2006 at 08:48

In a way I think that Communic are regressive, and Blind Guardian are progressive (at least on NiME, and also on IotOS). But that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy listening to Communic, or that they would receive much lesser ratings from me. They're doing with Nevermore what The Flower Kings do with Genesis, and why not?

In a way, but their overall sound is more progressive than Nevermore's.
Their sound is not regressive at all. Where's your point at that? Blind Guardian was never progressive until NIM-E came out, where they delivered a great job as prog-RELATED power/speed metal act. But it's a real failure to clear a band for one or two albums that have prog relations and put them in "progressive metal" territory, instead of a band, which is a true progressive metal band, like Communic and clear them as prog-related. That's complete non-sense. Then you can add any band that has one or two prog related albums, like Metallica or even Helloween for examples (do you know Better Than Raw? As well a prog-related power/speed metal album).

-------------

Posted By: Lex C
Date Posted: May 24 2006 at 23:05
I called this too in my power metal post

Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 05:50

Their sound is not regressive at all. Where's your point at that? Blind Guardian was never progressive until NIM-E came out, where they delivered a great job as prog-RELATED power/speed metal act. But it's a real failure to clear a band for one or two albums that have prog relations and put them in "progressive metal" territory, instead of a band, which is a true progressive metal band, like Communic and clear them as prog-related. That's complete non-sense. Then you can add any band that has one or two prog related albums, like Metallica or even Helloween for examples (do you know Better Than Raw? As well a prog-related power/speed metal album).

It should be pointed out that Blind Guardian had already a good deal of progressive elements on Imaginations from the Other Side, enough to call them prog related. NiME is prog, and NATO is - well, to me it is less prog, to others it is even more prog than NiME.

About Communic: The prog metal team is currently re-evaluating them, also in the context of Nevermore. It is most likely that Communic will be added as Prog, and Nevermore will be added as Prog Related.

About the "band vs. album": Even before the specialist teams were formed it had been Max's policy to add bands if they have one album that can be called "prog". That makes MUCH sense, considering that:

• it is albums we are reviewing here, not bands. So if a band made a prog album, they must be added, so that we can review that album.
  • At some point genres will be applied to albums, not bands. If we didn't include bands with only one prog album, we'd have to go through the process of band addition again once we switch to that new strategy.

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 16:07

It should be pointed out that Blind Guardian had already a good deal of progressive elements on Imaginations from the Other Side, enough to call them prog related. NiME is prog, and NATO is - well, to me it is less prog, to others it is even more prog than NiME.

About Communic: The prog metal team is currently re-evaluating them, also in the context of Nevermore. It is most likely that Communic will be added as Prog, and Nevermore will be added as Prog Related.

About the "band vs. album": Even before the specialist teams were formed it had been Max's policy to add bands if they have one album that can be called "prog". That makes MUCH sense, considering that:

• it is albums we are reviewing here, not bands. So if a band made a prog album, they must be added, so that we can review that album.
  • At some point genres will be applied to albums, not bands. If we didn't include bands with only one prog album, we'd have to go through the process of band addition again once we switch to that new strategy.

It's good when the prog metal team (in which are you as well, right?Wink) re-evaluates about Communic and will add them as prog, since BOTH albums are prog-metal, but BG should be added as prog related, since NIM-E is not a true progressive metal album, it has prog relations, but (don't forget) the power/speed metal element is still the dominant force. To tell the truth, BG doesn't have one REAL progressive album. And now to Nevermore: they have one album in their discography which can be called a progressive album: The Politics of Ecstasy. So add them as progressive metal.
Max is a good man and it definitely makes sense to add a band because of one REAL progressive album. Both Communic and Nevermore have them, Blind Guardian not (yet).

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 19:33
Blind Guardian are progressive in my book - they're not progressive in yours. No big deal!

Edit: About Nevermore: It's all complexity and time signature to you - at least that's the impression I get. I know that many people say that Politics of Ecstasy is Nevermore's most progressive album - and I disagree. Dreaming Neon Black is much more innovative. I try to see beyond "simple" prog characteristica ... they are relevant, but music can be progressive in so many more ways.

-------------

Posted By: aapatsos
Date Posted: May 26 2006 at 17:52
Blind Guardian started with 'straight' power metal and evolved through time

clearly NiME is their masterpiece along with others that come close (such as SFB)

I dont really care if they are to be included but NiME was very technical with tonnes of guitar phrases and solos that made this album 'full'

Date Posted: May 27 2006 at 10:44
Just listened to their single 'Fly' and also to the acoustic version of an upcoming song and the cover to In a gadda... all in the single

the acoustic version sounded nice, typical 'ballad' BG song with wonderful voices

the single did not impress me very much, sounded a bit 'modern' for BG, however there were some good guitar parts

anyone else heard it???

Date Posted: May 27 2006 at 10:54
I heard it - it was released on Napster two months ago. It's nice! not as impressive as NiME though, and I don't really dig their attempt to incorporate modern sounds (keyboards in this case). The chord progressions are also pretty simple, and I fear that the new album will turn out to be more mainstream than NATO.

-------------

Date Posted: May 27 2006 at 10:57
^cheers Mike

sounds to be a more 'commercial' (of course judging only from the single)
and simpler as you said
lets hope the rest of the tracks are more 'pompous' as they used to be

Date Posted: May 27 2006 at 11:03
^ I'm sure that it will be a very enjoyable listen - it will just not be another conceptual masterpiece. But I guess that an attempt to make a NiME 2 would most certainly fail ... so I understand that they have to move on.

-------------

Date Posted: May 28 2006 at 06:47

Blind Guardian are progressive in my book - they're not progressive in yours. No big deal!

Edit: About Nevermore: It's all complexity and time signature to you - at least that's the impression I get. I know that many people say that Politics of Ecstasy is Nevermore's most progressive album - and I disagree. Dreaming Neon Black is much more innovative. I try to see beyond "simple" prog characteristica ... they are relevant, but music can be progressive in so many more ways.

Complexity and time signature are trademarks of prog, but that doesn't mean that it's everything for progressive music, I know. I just don't feel that Guardian are that progressive, with exception of the experimental relations on their last two (maybe evem IFtOS, if decent though) albums. In comparison with Communic and Nevermore for examples, they fail to be on same level in progressive department. To Nevermore: Dreaming Neon Black may be more innovative than PoE, but the progressive-approach is only used in few dozens compared to PoE. You can't take the term progressive and set it equal with innovation - then any innovative album in music history is prog - where would we get there then? Prog is still a genre of music for a smaller group of people who have that "aquired taste", don't forget. 

-------------

Date Posted: May 28 2006 at 06:49

Complexity and time signature are trademarks of prog, but that doesn't mean that it's everything for progressive music, I know. I just don't feel that Guardian are that progressive, with exception of the experimental relations on their last two (maybe even IFtOS, if decent though) albums. In comparison with Communic and Nevermore for examples, they fail to be on same level in progressive department. To Nevermore: Dreaming Neon Black may be more innovative than PoE, but the progressive-approach is only used in few dozens compared to PoE. You can't take the term progressive and set it equal with innovation - then any innovative album in music history is prog - where would we get there then? Prog is still a genre of music for a smaller group of people who have that "aquired taste", don't forget. 

-------------

Date Posted: May 28 2006 at 09:30
I think that "prog" is a very complex attribute. There may be bands which play highly complex music and are labeled "prog" ... largely because that complexity, but not only because of that. And there may be bands that make quite simple music - but they're also labeled "prog" because of their innovation, experimentality ... and a whole bunch of other factors.

What I'm trying to say is that progressiveness is a highly subjective measurement of music. Certif1ed would no doubt remind me here that it can be measured simply by looking at the 5 elements of music ... but this may be too difficult for most people. It really boils down to:

experience

Only by listening to many (clearly) prog bands, many (clearly) non-prog bands, many avant-garde/experimental bands, jazz, classical etc. music ... only by that one can begin to develop his(her) own definition of prog. If they have the musical background they can also analyze the music, look at the 5 elements etc. ... but in the end you just have to explore your feelings and then either say "I think this is progressive" or "I think this is not progressive".

And so, by my nearly two decades of listening experience of thousands of albums from all different kinds of genres I say: "Nightfall in Middle-Earth is a progressive album". Make of it what you want!Smile

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk