Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23815
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 03:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: It Bites Poll
Posted By: E-Dub
Subject: It Bites Poll
Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 14:56
I just heard my first (and last) It Bites disc, and I'd almost be willing to drop them from the Archives, if I were the administrators. There is nothing progressive about this band that I can hear. They strike me as a cross between Duran Duran and Def Leppard. I don't know, guys. This could be one of the worst CD's I've bought in a LONG time. Well, since a Kayak CD a few months back.

E

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 15:00
which album are you referring to?
Would you be prepared to drop Genesis on the basis of "Calling All Stations" or "We Cant Dance"?

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 15:02
Definitely Prog. No question.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 15:02
<<which album are you referring to?
Would you be prepared to drop Genesis on the basis of "Calling All Stations" or "We Cant Dance"?>>

Eat Me In St. Louis

Haven't heard Calling All Stations, but as bad as We Can't Dance is in spots ("I Can't Dance" and "Jesus He Knows Me"), there are still more progressive moments than It Bites.

E

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 15:03
<<Definitely Prog. No question.>>

Please enlighten me because I'm missing something, according to you. Not saying you're wrong. I just can't hear it.

E

-------------

Posted By: ANDREW
Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 15:08
They are one of the most underrated prog bands from the '80s.

Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 15:13
<<They are one of the most underrated prog bands from the '80s.>>

For a reason, my friend.

E

-------------

Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 15:14
Eat Me in St Louis is not a great album...

....try their earlier albums.

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 15:18
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

Eat Me in St Louis is not a great album...

....try their earlier albums.

I think its pretty great, but not as prog as "Once Around The world".

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 15:18
<<....try their earlier albums.>>

You'll have to understand if I'm a bit gun shy with this band. One of the worst listening experiences I've had in quite a while. I had to come back to the office and cleanse my senses with Roine's The Flower King disc.

E

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 15:50
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

I just heard my first (and last) It Bites disc, and I'd almost be willing to drop them from the Archives, if I were the administrators. There is nothing progressive about this band that I can hear. They strike me as a cross between Duran Duran and Def Leppard. I don't know, guys. This could be one of the worst CD's I've bought in a LONG time. Well, since a Kayak CD a few months back.

E

I'll admit I thought the same as you to start with, but repeated listening has persuaded me otherwise. The production is a bit 1980s and hasn't really aged well, but they are a very clever band and worthy of a place here.

Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 15:56
<<I'll admit I thought the same as you to start with, but repeated listening has persuaded me otherwise. The production is a bit 1980s and hasn't really aged well, but they are a very clever band and worthy of a place here.>>

Man, I wished I heard what some of you hear.

E

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 16:01
haven't  heard It Bites... so I guess my vote is for Winger...

edit - not that I was a fan of them back in the day... Shocked

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 16:03
I hate them,just wanted to stick my twopenneth in.....

Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 16:11
<<I hate them,just wanted to stick my twopenneth in>>

Well, this poll is a lot closer than I thought it would be. I just didn't hear it. Even the subject matter to their songs didn't strike me as prog. I remember a behind the scenes look at Spock's Beard or Transatlantic, and during the songwriting sessions there was a point where the lyrics took on a bit of a 'romantic' flavor. Morse nixed it and declared, "We're a prog band".

E

-------------

Posted By: Nipsey88
Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 22:42
Love It Bites.

First heard of them in 1990 when they opened for Tull in Richmond, VA. Thought they were terrific and bought Eat Me In St. Louis the next day. While I would agree that they lean more towards pop in the Prog/Pop spectrum, still think they incorporate enough prog influence into their sound to be a definite for inclusion here.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Nipsey88/?chartstyle=myspace02" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Dr. Occulator
Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 23:23
It Bites are were a great intelligent musical rock / pop band with prog influences.
They should definitely be in PA and be appreciated for bridging a gap between classic prog and pop-rock. Great musicianship, great vocals and great arrangements.
Give em a break folks!

-------------
My Doc Told Me I Have Doggie Head.

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: May 25 2006 at 23:44
Progressive no question....Eat Me In St. Lois, what a dark album!!!

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Wilcey
Date Posted: May 26 2006 at 04:15
It Bites were definitely prog imo, Francis Dunnery a superb guitarist!
I do think Beck personifies most of what was bad about the 80's tho, I really don't like him, and it has kept me away from any Kino output. I do think the earlier albums of IB were better.
But if you are more of a Flower Kings kinda guy, then IB might be quite a large leap!

P-C

Posted By: Sir Hogweed
Date Posted: May 26 2006 at 05:02
Great Band IMO. I think their second album "Once Around the World" is much closer to prog than EMISL, with a more important role for the keyboard as well. But if you can't hear a tiny bit of prog infuence in the (much rockier) EMISL, I doubt if you would like their other albums. Their first album is the most poppy of them all.

I think the Art Rock genre suits them fine.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: May 26 2006 at 07:12
They were a prog band in disguise.

I remember reading an interview with Frank Dunnery in my cousins 'Smash Hits' magazine back in 1986. I remember reading how their influences were Yes, Led Zep and Genesis. Dunnery was going on about how important the 70's were, because you had to be able to play an instrument to get anywhere. I remember thinking 'Cool they sound good'....despite looking terrible.

They were trying to re-introduce prog to the charts without anyone noticing, so chose a very pop approach. Their debut album 'Big lad in the Windmill' caught my attention, because of the musicianship. Behind the 'Go West' style pop production, there was some brilliant lead guitar work, and complex things happening in the rhythim section. Kerrang! and Sounds were also raving about them. I saw them live about 5 times, and they were fantastic every time. I've NEVER heard such good live sound. Their follow up 'Once around the World' was one of the best albums of the 80's IMO, and more prog than it's predecessor. Thats when the penny dropped for the music press and Virgin (their record company) It Bites were a prog band. When this became clear they bit the dust very quickly. 'Eat me in St Louis' was a massive dissapointment, and was recorded to appease Virgin who did not want a prog band on their hands.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk