Print Page | Close Window

The ELO poll

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24390
Printed Date: May 05 2024 at 02:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The ELO poll
Posted By: Rocktopus
Subject: The ELO poll
Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 06:04
I'm amazed at how much I like ELO myself. Prog or not prog. Although my favorites are album no. 1,2,4 and 9, I think all the the albums of this era are quite good.

I voted for their Barock'n'roll Clown debut, which really is one of the best debuts I've heard. What album of their best and most prog related years is your favorite, and why?

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Replies:
Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 07:01
oh goodie.... how I love ELO polls...

best album. A New World Record
best prog album - On the Third Day
favorite - ELO 2

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Kord
Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 07:12
I don't like ELO!!!

Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 07:13
Originally posted by Kord Kord wrote:

I don't like ELO!!!

hahah... your loss..

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Dirk
Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 07:49
I go for Time, a great comeback after the only ELO record i don't like Discovery.For the rest they are all great(Well ok i don't know Xanadu and the records after Time). I have a live record of their work before Out of the blue and they are live even better then in the studio.

Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 08:21
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Has there been a lot of them? I only found one, with the first four albums and Time, missing.

-------------
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 08:37
I think their debut belongs to the top 100 of all time of prog albums >> a crossbetween Gryphon and Beatles >> absolutely essential listening

On The Third Day is also excellent

But I find Eldorado simply too lightweight.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 09:04
Sincerely... NOT XANADU' (but I love ELO songs. I extremely hate Olivia Newton-John songs!!!)

-------------

Posted By: wolf0621
Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 09:41
Voted for A New World Record...My favorite ELO album/most consistent...Thumbs Up

Posted By: Kord
Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 10:23

I don't like ELO!!!

hahah... your loss..
I think Genesis, Yes and King Crimson are just a little better...

Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 19:27

I don't like ELO!!!

hahah... your loss..

Most of us do.

But if you haven't heard the first (or third) album, you might be pleasantly surprised if you ever try it.

-------------
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 19:52

I don't like ELO!!!

hahah... your loss..

hahahhah.. *micky has a heart attack* 

I'd figured you'd name some half-ass prog metal groups with some name like Creeping Death or Disembodied Corpse.Wink

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 19:53
Originally posted by wolf0621 wolf0621 wrote:

Voted for A New World Record...My favorite ELO album/most consistent...Thumbs Up

I pulled that out the other night.... what a great album that is.

-------------

Date Posted: June 07 2006 at 19:54
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I think their debut belongs to the top 100 of all time of prog albums >> a crossbetween Gryphon and Beatles >> absolutely essential listening

On The Third Day is also excellent

But I find Eldorado simply too lightweight.

hahahha.....

I always thought On the Thrid Day just a 'tad' bit better... but love both.  And agree with Eldorado as well. Clap

-------------

Posted By: Guzzman
Date Posted: June 09 2006 at 16:18
I voted for Eldorado and I freely admit that it might have been for pure nostalgia, as I saw them live in Philadelphia when they had just released that one.

-------------
"We've got to get in to get out"

Posted By: moodyxadi
Date Posted: June 16 2006 at 18:05
The most consistente as a whole is A New World Record

My fav's are Eldorado (lightweight, bu sooooo beautiful) nad Time (this one doesn't aged very well, is too eightish, but is my first ELO album and has Prologue/Twilight - a hit of my childhood in Brazil - and 21st Century Man, a very personal song

On the Third Day has their best suite.

Out of the blue has a lot of marvelous pop-rock songs, so as Discovery, although this one is very disco (daah).

ELO 2 is their proggiest.

No Answer is tto beatles infected to be a original statesment, but is a good first album.

Face the Music has my fav instrumental, the opening track, and the lovely strange magic.

Even Xanadu has its moments - I'm Alive and Don't walk away.

As you can see, I really love ELO. My choice is totally emotional, and can change by the mood. Today the coosen one is Eldorado. Tomorrow, who knos?

-------------
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.

Posted By: tdreamer
Date Posted: June 16 2006 at 20:00
A New World Record for me. It's one of the first LP's I ever bought when I was 12 .

Posted By: Duncan
Date Posted: June 17 2006 at 00:41
Time is absolutely brilliant. CONCEPT ALBUM, guys.

A New World Record is the peak of their pop output. 

On The Third Day is a decent prog album. Eldorado is a lot better, though. Totally epic too.

Date Posted: June 17 2006 at 04:12
Strange. No one has voted for Face the Music.

I also love Time. My favorite album when I was six. 'Yours Truly 2095' sounds like a smart electropop hit from the '00's. 

Although Eldorado is full of weak moments, and even some bad songs, it's an album I've played a lot. Something very atmospheric and (strange) magic about it.

ELO 2 is the most prog, but I still think its one of their worst albums. 1 & 3 are much better, and just a bit less proggy, imo.

-------------
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: June 17 2006 at 14:41
    "A New World Record" is just fantastic. My Sister got a copy when it was released, and I think I listened to it more than she did. At that time I just found it enjoyable (too young to really figure out why). Years later, I still love it. It's practically flawless.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Date Posted: June 17 2006 at 14:48
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

"A New World Record" is just fantastic. My Sister got a copy when it was released, and I think I listened to it more than she did. At that time I just found it enjoyable (too young to really figure out why). Years later, I still love it. It's practically flawless.

*micky's ELO radar goes off hahaha*

great call... it's a fabulous album.. it's a fabulous album.  It's stuck with me for nearly 30 years. 

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 17 2006 at 15:59
rats!!! Angry

this page is propsing that I vota again, but will not take my second vote. I want to skew this poll because the proggest albums are being shunned by the ultra commercial ones

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: June 17 2006 at 16:03

rats!!! Angry

this page is propsing that I vota again, but will not take my second vote. I want to skew this poll because the proggest albums are being shunned by the ultra commercial ones

hahahha I know... I tned to lose track of some polls... but ELO ones are so rare... I can have counted on throwing my two cents out already Wink

-------------

Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 06:04

rats!!! Angry

hahahha I know... I tned to lose track of some polls... but ELO ones are so rare... I can have counted on throwing my two cents out already Wink

Probably a lot of nostalgia with this bands hit records. It certainly is for me, becauce my parents had most of them. Along with The Wall and a Jimi Hendrix collection it was the most 'experimental' music they owned. I heard No Answer for the first time just a year ago.

-------------
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 14:39
Originally posted by Rocktopus Rocktopus wrote:

rats!!! Angry

Probably a lot of nostalgia with this bands hit records. It certainly is for me, becauce my parents had most of them. Along with The Wall and a Jimi Hendrix collection it was the most 'experimental' music they owned. I heard No Answer for the first time just a year ago.

agree...my first review (screwed up my email address and was posted under another name hahaha) was of ELO 2.. which is honestly an average at best prog album.  Yet it has HIGH...very HIGh sentimental value and reviewed as with that in mind.

-------------

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: June 21 2006 at 18:56
I don´t like ELO Pinch

Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 03:46
Originally posted by Edwin22 Edwin22 wrote:

I don´t like ELO Pinch

Are you sure? They have a career span very similar to Queen, getting more and more commercial after the first 3-4 albums. So if you've only heard the post '74 releases, I'd reccomend you to check out their first or third album. If you've already know them, I give up.

-------------
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: Australian
Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 05:24
Electric Light Orchestra II, a great album.

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 15:14
  I like ELO, too. I have all the albums in your list. I chose A New World Record, I have a weak spot for it; and it's the first album I heard with them quite a long time ago.

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 16:38
El Dorado hand down.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: DallasBryan
Date Posted: August 18 2006 at 17:30
I dont think ELO ever equalled ELDORADO, though many seem to want it to be something else or compare it to other progressive bands. Showdown from the previous  album seem to set the stage for Eldorado, that song and Fire on High would have fit nicely on Eldorado and I think they always went back to that creative time period with later concepts only to fall short or try to extend it too far. Has anyone heard the bonus tracks from the remaster of Eldorado, pretty interesting Overture and Dark City sound inspired even now.Clown

Posted By: Neil
Date Posted: October 05 2006 at 08:54

best album. A New World Record
best prog album - On the Third Day
favorite - ELO 2

Can't argue with that!!

-------------
When people get lost in thought it's often because it's unfamiliar territory.

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: October 05 2006 at 10:14
Out of the Blue... as far as I can remember...Confused

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk