Print Page | Close Window

New band Hamadryad is amazing!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24906
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 05:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New band Hamadryad is amazing!
Posted By: erik neuteboom
Subject: New band Hamadryad is amazing!
Date Posted: June 17 2006 at 14:39
Hello fellow progheads.

Have you ever heard of or listened to Canadian progrock band Hamadryad? Just buy their new album entitled Safe In Conformity (not to compare with their debut CD) featuring Moog Taurus bass pedals, wonderful Mellotron eruptions, beautiful twanging 12-string acoustic guitars, spectacular synthesizer flights, great guitar soli, many captivating shifting moods and a lot of variety in their sound, from 72-77 Genesis (also often Peter Gabriel like vocals)to Red-era King Crimson but this band is no copycat, what a killer sound!

Replies:
Posted By: Apsalar
Date Posted: June 17 2006 at 17:48
I have their first album Convervation of Mass which can out in 2001. I was yet to know they had another album out for so long. I wouldn't say it is one of my favourite albums but definately worth a few listens. Do you know if their latest album is similar to the first, sound wise? If you have not hered their first album be sure to check it out Smile

Date Posted: June 17 2006 at 18:03
I haven't heard their first album, it's categorized as Art Rock. Well, their new album is a slightly changed line-up and, in my opinion, another sound, more towards symphonic rock, see my review on this site.

Posted By: Apsalar
Date Posted: June 17 2006 at 18:11
Nice review Clap.

I liked their other album but as you said they are a little more towards the art rock side of the spectrum. It would be interesting to see this more symphonic approach, but would you suggest their lastest album to somebody who doesn't like Genesis? 

Date Posted: June 17 2006 at 18:26
If you doesn't like 72-77 Genesis, I have the opinion that you are less delighted but still there is hope .. just try it!

Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 15:58
Every week I got PM's in which progheads ask me to give recommendations, now I give one and not even 30 progheads have read it ... a bit disappointing Confused 

Posted By: eugene
Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 17:19
First album is amazing! Second is not so good IMO. The change in line-up is basically getting rid of their lead-vocalist - the guy with beautiful voice, reminding John Anderson at times but not copying him. On the second album lead vocals are taken over by their leader - song-writer, composer and bass guitarist and he, while being an amazing musician, is certainly lacking in vocals department. It's quite obvious to me that he tries to sing Gabriel, but fails and sounds rather poorly IMO. Otherwise music is very very good and would be much much better without vocals at all.
Still my rating would be: 4.5 stars for the debut and 3.5 stars for the follow-up.

All in all, very good band and I second this recommendation.

-------------
carefulwiththataxe

Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 17:59
Thanks Black Velvet and Eugene Thumbs Up !

Posted By: Bern
Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 18:28
I haven't heard the second album but I'd like to know how the new singer sounds. The singer in the first album was amazing and had a very powerful voice. I saw him live twice (since they're from Québec) and the vocalist blew me away. I don't think they can easily replace him but I will definitely give this album a try soon. I'm seeing them again in November anyway Tongue

-------------

RIP in bossa nova heaven.

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 20:06
I want it. The reviews that I read at the front page got me intrigued. Should I start with the new one or their debur?

I'll be sure to get it along with Pure Reason Revolution and the new Proto- Kaw Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: June 18 2006 at 21:45
I haven't heard of them, but I'll certainly check it out! Thumbs Up

Thanks for the recommendation, too. I'm always on the lookout for good music (as much as my pocketbook may detest it). Tongue

Date Posted: June 19 2006 at 03:17
Well, the reviews on this site reveal that both CD's are worth a listening. I love their second (that's why I have created this thread) but I am curious to their first, perhaps I will order it soon.

Date Posted: June 19 2006 at 11:42
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Well, the reviews on this site reveal that both CD's are worth a listening. I love their second (that's why I have created this thread) but I am curious to their first, perhaps I will order it soon.

You should, you won't be disappointed. I mean, good vocalists are rarity these days, and I was kinda disappointed by their second album because the guy is not there anymore.

-------------
carefulwiththataxe

Date Posted: June 19 2006 at 11:50
OK, thanks and good luck against the Saudi's Wink !

Date Posted: June 19 2006 at 13:19

OK, thanks and good luck against the Saudi's Wink !

Clap

3:0 so far

not bad, yeah...

-------------
carefulwiththataxe

Posted By: avestin
Date Posted: June 20 2006 at 05:58
I just realized I did not respond here, although I have both albums and I like them very much, especially Conversion of Mass, but Safe In Conformity is slowly growing on me and becoming more and more to my liking.

-------------
http://hangingsounds.blogspot.com/" rel="nofollow - Hanging Sounds

http://www.progarchives.com/ProgRockShopping.asp" rel="nofollow - PA Index of prog music vendors

Date Posted: June 20 2006 at 06:09
OK, thanks Avestin, I thought you were on holiday ..Wink !

Posted By: aniwolfe
Date Posted: June 21 2006 at 11:17
Hi Erik....Nice to hear people mentioning this band. I have had both of there albums for awhile. At first I found I perferred the first album but, I now find I listen to Safe in Conformity much more. Musically I find it more evolved and the vocals doesnt seem to be as prominent as the first singer. Desilets does have a little PG influence but I find it to be overall "different"...either you'll like or not.

On a side note... If you havent checked yet...there Record label http://www.unicornrecords.com/mp3.html - http://www.unicornrecords.com/mp3.html  does have a lot of mp3 samples. A few bands stick out for me... Karfagen (awesome symphonic prog) Spaced Out, NIL and Talisma.

Date Posted: June 21 2006 at 11:29
Thanks, Aniwolfe, fine contributionThumbs Up !

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: June 21 2006 at 14:10
I only have Conversation of Mass and really,really like it.

I will definitely have to check their newest album out.

-------------

Date Posted: June 21 2006 at 14:29

Does the first CD contain progmetal elements Shocked ..... Wink TheProgtologist?

Posted By: Bern
Date Posted: June 21 2006 at 15:08

Does the first CD contain progmetal elements Shocked ..... Wink TheProgtologist?

I'd say that the first CD contains some prog-metal elements. I'm surprised that you say that because I thought it was going to be the same for the second album.

I absolutely have to check it out! Tongue

-------------

RIP in bossa nova heaven.

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: June 21 2006 at 21:11
erik - though my wish list is getting more and more absurdly long, there's always room for one more great prog band! Tongue

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk