Print Page | Close Window

Deep Purple MK 3 to regroup?!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25085
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 16:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Deep Purple MK 3 to regroup?!
Posted By: WaywardSon
Subject: Deep Purple MK 3 to regroup?!
Date Posted: June 21 2006 at 13:59
Just been reading a Glenn Hughes interview here
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/ - http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/
Scroll down to Glen Hughes in the Latest News section..

Looks like Coverdale and Hughs are keen on a Deep Purple MK 3 Reunion!
Imagine two Deep Purples!LOL

Replies:
Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: June 21 2006 at 14:34
Well, they may be keen, but it's just two out of five... Lord seems to have sort of retired, Paice is still with DP, and we know everything about Blackmore. BTW, it's not the first time I've heard Glenn say that he would like to get together with the others. I'm not surprised that Coverdale would be keen on that, though, as his career seems to have gone down the drain (pity, because I used to love the hard-rock/blues Whitesnake quite a lot - before they became hair metal).

Have you heard Glenn's latest yet? I haven't been able to find it in Rome as yet, but it should be available soon. He's my favourite vocalist of all!Heart

Date Posted: June 21 2006 at 15:33
I haven´t heard the latest yet, but I picked up Iommi "Fused" and those two make a great pair. I was watching Cal Jam on DVD the other day and I really like his bass work. Lets face it ,the man has soul running through his veins!!

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 03:50
Hughes is doinfg some wishful thinking here:

Relmember what happened to Rod Evans for creating a non-legit DP in 79

Fat chance on Blackmore ever wanting to regroup Purple, especially with Hughes in the fold.

Lord could be up to it, nothing better to do.

Paice being in the actual Purple, not much chance of him doing it

Coverdale , I can see him being interested, but the man's ego is almost as big as Glenn Hughes and he will probably not want to share vocal duties with anybody >> the man is not the debutant he was in 74's DP anymore, so this will quickly go down the drain

Hughes (outside of his musical talents) is one the characters irritating me the most. He's so full of himself >> calliung himself The Voice Of Rock >> as if he was the only one around around and rock owed it all to him. He keeps reminding us of hisfeeble musical contributions (more like disasters ) as if they were the next best thing to hot water. I mean, ther man ruined singlehandedly DP, left Trapeze (which according to me would've never amounted to more than what they already were >> third league stuff >> no matter what rock revisionist writers can try to induce). His contribution with Pat Thrall were just correct at best, his work with Iommi in BS is more than anectdotical, and yet, the rock press present him as a giant. Something fishy here.Dead

Sorry Rafaella, I know you like him, but this reviewer is plain sick of this undue potential brainwashing.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 04:16
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Hughes (outside of his musical talents) is one the characters irritating me the most. He's so full of himself >> calliung himself The Voice Of Rock >> as if he was the only one around around and rock owed it all to him. He keeps reminding us of hisfeeble musical contributions (more like disasters ) as if they were the next best thing to hot water. I mean, ther man ruined singlehandedly DP, left Trapeze (which according to me would've never amounted to more than what they already were >> third league stuff >> no matter what rock revisionist writers can try to induce). His contribution with Pat Thrall were just correct at best, his work with Iommi in BS is more than anectdotical, and yet, the rock press present him as a giant. Something fishy here.Dead

Sorry Rafaella, I know you like him, but this reviewer is plain sick of this undue potential brainwashing.

Hopefully you don't think I'm the one doing the brainwashing here... I just like him, but I'm not trying to convince anyone of the same. That's just not my way of doing things.Wink

BTW, the definition "The Voice of Rock" doesn't come from GH himself, but from the band KLF with whom he recorded the hit single "America - What Time Is Love?" in 1992. As to his ego, I don't think it's bigger than many other rock musicians'. And, as I've had the misfortune to experience far too often, big egos can be often encountered outside the world of music, film and such...Cry

Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 04:21
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Hopefully you don't think I'm the one doing the brainwashing here... I just like him, but I'm not trying to convince anyone of the same. That's just not my way of doing things.Wink

Certainly not, RafaellaShockedWink Sorry my post would even lead to to think thatOuchWink

I was referring to the Classic Rock rings beating your brains to a pulp by repeatdlu pusshing this guy's very average career and creating overdone hype.

I think any rock writers heading out to LA gets free coke and loads of groupies if they write a good paper on him. >> problem is that the records REALLY do not follow the hype

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: NutterAlert
Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 04:23
I saw David Coverdale recently on his tours with TrouserSnake, and his voice is shot to peices...

-------------
Proud to be an un-banned member since 2005

Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 04:46
Coverdale's voice is not the kind that stands the test of time very well - that, and the way he used it in the hair metal period of the band. He wanted to became a Robert Plant clone, forgetting that their voices are completely different (can you imagine Jon Anderson starting to growl?Wink). Pity, because he really used to be a great singer before moving to America and starting on his arena rock career.

As to Hughes, I understand how one may not like him - one thing is sure, he has overexposed himself by recording lots of average material (even with the godawful Joe Lynn Turner!Dead). However, I love his albums with Tony Iommi (perhaps it's just a matter of lack of good taste on my part...Tongue), and when I saw him live in 2003, his voice was awesome. That's one thing that you cannot take away from him.

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 07:02

I must say, I'm just about with Sean on the subject of Glenn Hughes. I find his yelping, mostly in concerts I've heard, nigh on unbearable. He is capable of superb vocals, as the 'Seventh Star' album with Tony Iommi proves and most of his singing on the (imo excellent) Mark III/IV studio albums. Live however, I've heard him sing on recordings with Trapeze and DP and he tends to drone on with yelps and howls- just listen to him mutliate stuff like 'Smoke On The Water' and 'Space Truckin'. Trapeze I must say I've never either considered them more than 2nd division- nothing they did that people like Hendrix, Cream, Taste, Free or Zeppelin did better and before them. Not a bad act, but still...Not as influential as people have claimed. Will give Glenn a heck of a lot of credit for sorting his career and himself out though- look at his appearance today compared to his flabby nadir in the 80s and you'd never believe he's nearing 60!

I may be in a bit of a minority to actually want the Mark III to reform over the Mark II one at the moment. Although I WOULD like the MII one to do it at some stage, it's been done a few times already and hasn't really worked (bar the superb 'Perfect Strangers'). The MIII line-up reforming would give that work some more exposure which I feel it merits. I doubt that Ian Paice would be involved when he's happy in the current DP, whilst Lord of course has retired from DP (but in an interview I'd read he expressed regret over that decision). Blackmore, well, let's not go there...Although Ritchie has said in a few interviews it would be 'fun' to get the MII line-up going again yet he expressed concern over the management, I don't think he liked the MIII era much in the first place; certainly not 'Stormbringer'- you can tell from the uninspired solos and recycled riffs he uses. So whilst it would be nice in principle, I imagine it's sheer fantasy.

Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 08:03
Spot on, James!!! about Blackmore not wanting to reform Purple, but this is not only aimed at management, but the rock industry in general.

And the man is fullfilling his dreams by getting invited to playini in castle doing his troubadour thing with a lovely young woman >> not about to quit that.

Another thing is you are right about James, is that Stormbringer is the album that completely disgusted Blackmore and forced him to leave, instead of Hughes getting kicked out. Had Blackmore realized Hughes wanted to imposehis funky crap, he probably would've vetoed hiring him. But since it was done (the hiring), it was probably simpler for him to quit

I mean kicking Coverdale out might have been a lot easier, since this was his first job in the music milieu. But giving the boot to Hughes would've been much tougher since he was already a seasoned veteran and they pried him away from another professional group, which meant that lawyers and contracts were probably signed. Leaving was probably Ritchie's easiest solution

so thanks to Glenn Hughes we have four superb Rainbow albums (including the live), that would've never come out if he had not screwed up Purple.

Maybe THAT is Hughes' most outstanding contribution to rock >> the unvoluntary leave of Blackmore and creation of RainbowBig smile 

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: moodyxadi
Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 13:28
There are certain artists - usually singers - that have real success in their works when they are guided for other persons. Glenn Hugues without a power direction in his career is a failure, as Annie haslam without Michael Dunford. They have the voice, but someone else have to teach them how to use in good music. Hugues album The way it is is a BOMB; even his live work with old mk III and trapeze numbers are bad. Haslam solo is awful.

-------------
Bach, Ma, Bros, Déia, Dante.

Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 14:09

Spot on, James!!! about Blackmore not wanting to reform Purple, but this is not only aimed at management, but the rock industry in general.

And the man is fullfilling his dreams by getting invited to playini in castle doing his troubadour thing with a lovely young woman >> not about to quit that.

Another thing is you are right about James, is that Stormbringer is the album that completely disgusted Blackmore and forced him to leave, instead of Hughes getting kicked out. Had Blackmore realized Hughes wanted to imposehis funky crap, he probably would've vetoed hiring him. But since it was done (the hiring), it was probably simpler for him to quit

I mean kicking Coverdale out might have been a lot easier, since this was his first job in the music milieu. But giving the boot to Hughes would've been much tougher since he was already a seasoned veteran and they pried him away from another professional group, which meant that lawyers and contracts were probably signed. Leaving was probably Ritchie's easiest solution

so thanks to Glenn Hughes we have four superb Rainbow albums (including the live), that would've never come out if he had not screwed up Purple.

Maybe THAT is Hughes' most outstanding contribution to rock >> the unvoluntary leave of Blackmore and creation of RainbowBig smile 

^LOL- That's one way of looking at it, I guess Hugues! I do have a lot of affection for the Mark III/IV DP albums, though- I find them a fair bit fresher and innovative than albums from the same mid 70s era by rock acts like Heep, Sabbath, Zeppelin et al. such as 'Presence', 'High and Mighty' and 'Technical Ecstasy'. As for Rainbow, I find all the Dio albums to be absolute corkers, and also the Graham Bonnet one 'Down To Earth' is a classic of melodic rock with a raw blues edge but the Lynn Turner years are not so hot- why Blackmore was trying to clone Foreigner is beyond me...Confused

Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 14:16
I don´t think Hughes is entirely responsible for the demise of Deep Purple. Sure he wanted them to go in a more funkier(soul) direction but during that time Coverdale and Blackmore weren´t exactly getting along that well.
I think the collapse of Purple started the day Gillan left (thanks to Ritchie´s mood swings) See the DVD of their last appearance in New York Live 72/73 to see the tension between Gillan and Blackmore.
Hughe´s contributed to it, but then so did Tommy Bolin (with his addiction)
Last Concert in Japan must be the worst Purple album ever!!

Well I think Iommi and Hughes work well together and I don´t consider Iommi´s project BS (that´s pretty harsh)Angry
I also think Blackmore ruined Rainbow when they went in a commercial direction (J. L.Turner era)
Although Ritchie is now doing what he has always wanted to do, Blackmore´s Night has become a bit stale. I think he has cut off his nose to spite his face by stubbornly trudging on year after year as the man in tightsLOL, rather than (the man in black) doing what he does best, which is play his Statocaster and rock!!

Blackmore is also known to love money(Note the commercial direction Rainbow took), so I think it is highly possible that in the next two to three years there could be some kind of Deep Purple reunion.

Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 14:18
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

^LOL- That's one way of looking at it, I guess Hugues! I do have a lot of affection for the Mark III/IV DP albums, though- I find them a fair bit fresher and innovative than albums from the same mid 70s era by rock acts like Heep, Sabbath, Zeppelin et al. such as 'Presence', 'High and Mighty' and 'Technical Ecstasy'. As for Rainbow, I find all the Dio albums to be absolute corkers, and also the Graham Bonnet one 'Down To Earth' is a classic of melodic rock with a raw blues edge but the Lynn Turner years are not so hot- why Blackmore was trying to clone Foreigner is beyond me...Confused

Thank you, James, for defending my beloved Glenn...Wink I don't agree with the fact that he single-handedly destroyed DP: it's much the same story as Phil Collins ruining Genesis or Trevor Rabin destroying Yes. As the saying goes, it takes two to tango, and in this case even more than two...

However, I think it all boils down to a matter of personal taste: I love GH's vocals (which, I must admit, now sound much better than they did in the '70s, when they were way too high-pitched and 'yelpy', as James correctly said), and I love the albums he's put out in the last 5-6 years (the ones to his name and those with Tony Iommi at least). They may not be the most innovative things on the face of the earth, but they're good, straight, extremely well-played and sung classic hard rock, and that floats my boat as much as complex, intellectual prog does. I'm quite catholic in my tastes, as I think you will have understood by now: I may be a GH fan, but I also gave 5 stars to KC's "Discipline"...Wink

Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 14:43
Hughes has grown a lot (musically) since his Purple days. So has Robert Plant. I prefer a lot of Plant´s solo stuff to Zeppelin.

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: June 22 2006 at 18:45
I've always liked Glenn and wish him well...

Thumbs Up

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Date Posted: June 23 2006 at 00:26
I've got all those records! Wink Now I think Hugues will really hate me...Cry

Date Posted: June 23 2006 at 03:41

Hugues will not hate you for thisEmbarrassed, we are all entitled some mistakes....WinkLOL

Hughes however will probably love you for being his best and most charming fanTongue

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Date Posted: June 23 2006 at 10:49

Hugues will not hate you for thisEmbarrassed, we are all entitled some mistakes....WinkLOL

How true... I wish all my mistakes were about liking some musician or the other, though! Wink

Hughes however will probably love you for being his best and most charming fanTongue

I wouldn't mind being loved by GH (who's a happily married man, alas! Cry), as I find him quite attractive now - much more than when he was younger.Wink

BTW, I've just finished listening to GH's brand-new "Music for the Divine" CD, and I must say it's pretty mindblowing.... Possibly his best record to date, with great musicianship and much more restrained vocals from the man himself. The cover of "Nights in White Satin" is alone worth the price of the record. Sheer Class!Clap

Date Posted: June 23 2006 at 13:14
In fairness to Glenn, he criticised his own Deep Purple later years, that he said he was 'reduced to making farmyard noises'!LOL

Date Posted: June 23 2006 at 13:16
Which would not be very far from the truth... If you listen to him now, the difference shows quite clearly. His voice has got richer and rounder, while in the '70s it was a bit too high-pitched for my tastes. Now he can sing in a lower register quite effectively: his performance of "Knife Edge" on ELP's tribute album is quite awesome IMHO.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk