Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25203
Printed Date: June 08 2024 at 03:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Zappa's most hilarious release
Posted By: Dr4Wazo
Subject: Zappa's most hilarious release
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 00:16
What do you think is Zappa's most hilarious release?

I'd say "Uncle Meat" (with the second disc) or "Roxy & Elsewhere", but I got to hear you and think about it more!

One thing is certain to me, I woudn't say "Joe's Garage", talking about blowjobs and sex doesn't make you funny... especially when you're 40 years old (talking about Zappa here not myself)... Kids use to laugh about this!

Replies:
Posted By: Cygnus X-2
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 00:17
Probably one of his releases with Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman... like Just Another Band from LA or Live at Fillmore East.Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Hierophant
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 00:21
Apostrophe

I just look at the names of the songs and i crack up

-------------

Posted By: pepo
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 00:23
I laughed to tears when I heard what is the ugliest part of your body (some say your nose, some say your toes I think it's your mind). It really sounded like John Lennon but it was a spoof actually.

Posted By: Dr4Wazo
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 00:36
Originally posted by pepo pepo wrote:

I laughed to tears when I heard what is the ugliest part of your body (some say your nose, some say your toes I think it's your mind). It really sounded like John Lennon but it was a spoof actually.

Yeah, this album is pretty funny LOL

Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 00:42
The cover photo is one of the funniest I remember, mostly Zappa dressed like a little girl.

Posted By: Australian
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 02:53
I think the cover photo of We're only in it for the money is funny.LOL

-------------

Posted By: transend
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 05:16
Actually after hearing most of his stuff, I believe 'Playground psychotics' to be the funniest.......the tapes of them on the road are hysterical!

Posted By: horza
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 05:42
Parts of Sheik Yerbouti still make me laugh     

-------------
Originally posted by darkshade:

Calling Mike Portnoy a bad drummer is like calling Stephen Hawking an idiot.

Posted By: the man machine
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 06:12
at saint alfonzos pancake breakfast.........

Posted By: fairyliar
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 06:31
Thing Fish
Not an excellent but some songs are just hilarious (He's so gay and the song in which the lady f**ks with a briefcase above all)

Posted By: Rosescar
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 06:40
I only have Sheik Yerbouti and the Mystery Disc.

Charva's funny.

-------------
http://www.soundclick.com/rosescar/ - My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 07:16
We're only in it for the money is my #1 Zappa laugh album, he was best with the mothers IMO.

-------------

Posted By: Paradox
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 07:20
Over-Nite Sensation, who can forget Dynamo Hum? I Am The Slime is also a brilliant piece of songwriting and musicianship

-------------

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 07:29
I think that the most hilarious CD release must be Apostrophe/Overnite-Sensation. ALL the songs are hilarious!

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 07:42
Originally posted by Zargus Zargus wrote:

We're only in it for the money is my #1 Zappa laugh album, he was best with the mothers IMO.

That one first. Uncle Meat second and Absolutely free third imo.  Great and funny music.

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 07:57
The "Roger Daltrey gay bar" and "CSN backstage" schtick on the Fillmore record is a riot....Flo and Eddie to boot....best music on any comedy recording I've ever heard...or is it best comedy on a music record?

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: RoyalJelly
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 08:26
     Funniest album as a whole for me is probably Live at the Fillmore, with Flo & Eddie...Bwana Dik and the Groupie routine, which say so much about the rock world, musicians and their motivations, as well as the psychology of groupies, all stuff that nobody else really puts in question. That version of the Mothers was really like a Vaudeville act.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 08:53
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

Probably one of his releases with Howard Kaylan and Mark Volman...  Live at Fillmore East.Thumbs Up

hahah... that album kills me.. and was actually along with Joe's Garage the first Zappa album I had heard.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Teaflax
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 09:39
I grew up on Zappa, but I never really found him all that funny. Good, yes, but not laugh fodder.

-------------

Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 09:43
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

I grew up on Zappa, but I never really found him all that funny. Good, yes, but not laugh fodder.

hahah that's alright Teafax... a lively sense of humor was not amoung the many impressions I've gleaned about you from your posts hahah Wink

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 09:55
     "Is that a real poncho, or is that a Sears Poncho?"

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: Chicapah
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 10:44
A great collection of his humor can be found on the "Strictly Commercial" album.  It includes "Dirty Love," "Montana," "San Berdino," "Be in my Video" and several others that are downright hilarious in their send-ups.  He was one of a kind.

-------------
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain

Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 12:01
Bobby Brown goes down and why does it hurt when I pee are two of the funniest songs I remember. Perhaps too much coarse for a refined taste. Also there's this long blues called the torture never stops. I heard lots of songs with the panting woman background but this is the most explicit one. Must be heard with headphones or otherwise there'll be problems.

Posted By: maani
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 13:20
I'm with Heirophant and others: Apostrophe.  Don't Eat the Yellow Snow, Cozmik Debris, Stinkfoot, Uncle Remus - every one a gem, and among the most hysterical lyrics and musical motifs Zappa ever created.

"Take your medications and your preparations, and ram it up your snout!"

Peace.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 13:21
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I think that the most hilarious CD release must be Apostrophe/Overnite-Sensation. ALL the songs are hilarious!

ApproveThumbs Up

Though "Billy the Mountain" is pretty funny. Such a draft-dodger that silly mountain...Tongue

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 13:36
Thing Fish.

Honerable mentions goes to:

Apostrophe
Joe's Garage

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: con safo
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 13:42
We're Only In it For The Money

or .. Roxy & Elsewhere

both hilarious. "the evil drug pusher now cut's up a gym sock once owned by Carl Zappa, and still damp"

oh, and Studio Tan - The Adventures Of Greggery PeccaryLOL

-------------

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 13:45
No doubt about it:

'The Illinois Enema Bandit', on ZAPPA IN NEW YORK.

And apart from everything else, it's a terrific performance from all concerned!

Posted By: Cygnus X-2
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 13:53
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

ApproveThumbs Up

Though "Billy the Mountain" is pretty funny. Such a draft-dodger that silly mountain...Tongue

The Howard Kaylan/Mark Volman years are the funniest to me.Wink

-------------

Posted By: Sacred 22
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 15:50
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahah that's alright Teafax... a lively sense of humor was not amoung the many impressions I've gleaned about you from your posts hahah Wink

WOW, not that is funny and who can forget, ram it, ram it, ram it up yer poop chute.

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 18:18
My favorite album to laugh at is Sheik Yerbouti. Not only you can laugh by the cover + the name, the music is hillarious too (Broken hearts are for a*sholes, Bobby brown goes down, I'm so cute, Tryin' to grow a chin and others)

Apostrophe is a good one also. The first songs of the album are laughing marathon (laughathon?)

LOL Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: June 24 2006 at 18:22
Originally posted by Dr4Wazo Dr4Wazo wrote:

What do you think is Zappa's most hilarious release?

I'd say "Uncle Meat" (with the second disc) or "Roxy & Elsewhere", but I got to hear you and think about it more!

One thing is certain to me, I woudn't say "Joe's Garage", talking about blowjobs and sex doesn't make you funny... especially when you're 40 years old (talking about Zappa here not myself)... Kids use to laugh about this!

I would say Joe's Garage, or maybe Sheik Yerbouti.

Posted By: mrdurganator
Date Posted: June 25 2006 at 07:44
i prefer the random/satirical humor of the first three albums, absolutely free is hilarious, especially 'brown shoes don't make it'. i always crack up at the ridiculous sound effects after the line "she's rocking and rolling and acting obscene"

-------------
is there anybody out there?

Posted By: acheron
Date Posted: June 25 2006 at 14:38
Apostrophe is pretty damn halarious 

i love putting that album on for people who have never heard of Zappa, 

"he took a dog doo snow cone and stuffed it in my right eye"

genious

Posted By: aprusso
Date Posted: June 25 2006 at 14:41
THE ITALIAN LESSONS IN uNCLE mEAT

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: June 25 2006 at 14:42

The Mothers of Invention albums are the best in terms of humor. I never fail to crack up after hearing 'Motherly Love', 'It can't happen here', 'wowie zowie', 'What's the ugliest part of your body', 'idiot b*****d son', 'absolutely free' and all those classics.

-------------

Posted By: mrgd
Date Posted: June 26 2006 at 01:16
  OVER-NITE SENSATION,for the whole album. However it was immortalised for me when in live performance back on Halloween-eve 76 at Maddison Square Gardens he did unmentionable things to his crotch area with a fluffy stuffed white poodle [ for obvious reasons to devotees of this album].

-------------
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: June 26 2006 at 07:24
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

No doubt about it:

'The Illinois Enema Bandit', on ZAPPA IN NEW YORK.

And apart from everything else, it's a terrific performance from all concerned!

Good call, fuxi - although from the same album, I'd go for 'Punky's Whips'; Terry Bozzio's finest comedy moment .

Incidentally - I just got back from Gran Canaria, where my wife & I were relaxing by the hotel pool in 35 degree heat with a cold beer (or 9); the pool bar was playing the usual mix of 1980s rubbish & current Euro-Crap, when out of nowhere, they played 'Bobby Brown' - this was the cue for Vicky & I to look at each other, nearly spray the surrounding area with the beers we were drinking, then look round to see if anyone was actually listening...

Most people were ignoring the song, apart from one German couple, who collapsed in hysterics.

Ah - the unexpected Zappa song; you can't beat it

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Teaflax
Date Posted: June 26 2006 at 07:39
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Odd. I find I have a fun time here, and anyone who doesn't get too enraged by someone pointing out the obivous should be able to see the rather humurous phrasings I occasionally use - hey, I used to be a standup comic, so...

Either way, I find Zappas humor, such as it is, to be too scatological and silly to not be overpowered by his considerable musical accomplishments. It's so irrelevant to the whole as to fade into the background.

-------------

Posted By: Phil
Date Posted: June 26 2006 at 08:37
I think "you are what you is" for taking the p*ss out of everyone and everything, thought some of it is NOT politically correct.....LOL

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: June 26 2006 at 10:42
Originally posted by Phil Phil wrote:

I think "you are what you is" for taking the p*ss out of everyone and everything, thought some of it is NOT politically correct.....LOL
I really need to get that album.

-------------

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 05:59

I got two beer and a fistful of downs/now I'm gonna get ripped so f*ck you clowns.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 07:47
Studio Tan
Joe's Garage
Lumpy Gravy
Just Another Band From LA
Roxy & Elsewhere

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: Ray Lomas
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 08:04
I think that 'Apostrophe' is the funniest album I've heard; and the music is excellent too.Clap

'Bobby Brown' is very funny song too, and I was almost in tears with laughter when I heard Zappa's version of that old finnish tango song 'Satumaa'.LOL

Posted By: walmanwee
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 08:10

Broadway the Hard Way, ladies and gentlemen, Broadway the hard way...

Mainly for Elvis has just left the building, but also for the magnificent Planet of the Baritone Women.  And Welcome to the United States from The Yellow Shark rocks, in its avant garde classical kinda way; it gets more relevent every day.  But Go Cry on Somebody Else's Shoulder from Freak Out is pinpoint satire, musical and social, with its doo-wop and highschool ring. 

BTW, I gave somebody my ring in highschool, but that's a different story...

Perfect music for people who hate people.

Walmanwee

-------------
For a batter way of life vists

http://glitzyblog.blogspot.com/

Posted By: gong
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 03:13

"Joe's Garage"

"Shut Up..."

"The Man From Utopia"

Posted By: gong
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 03:14
Originally posted by walmanwee walmanwee wrote:

Broadway the Hard Way, ladies and gentlemen, Broadway the hard way...

Mainly for Elvis has just left the building, but also for the magnificent Planet of the Baritone Women.  And Welcome to the United States from The Yellow Shark rocks, in its avant garde classical kinda way; it gets more relevent every day.  But Go Cry on Somebody Else's Shoulder from Freak Out is pinpoint satire, musical and social, with its doo-wop and highschool ring. 

BTW, I gave somebody my ring in highschool, but that's a different story...

Perfect music for people who hate people.

Walmanwee

awesome cd!Clap

Posted By: Alucard
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 06:39
My absolutely favourite hilarious ZAppa  track is the 20 minutes version of 'Don't eat The Yellow Snow ' on 'YCDTOSA'Vol. 1, where he asked the public to 'jump up and down',( "I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow"), followed by the great poetry contest...In general I find his live recordings funnier, I like Zappa's improvised humour when he makes comments on the band, or answers a public request,... another winner, 'The Best Band You Never Heard In You Life' and the 1986 touring band in general. All the pastiche songs, for example the Johnny Cash imitation 'Ring Of Fire') and commentaries (mostly politic, this was the tour when Zappa asked the people to vote after the show,BTW 'Broadway The Hard Way and 'Jazz From Hell' come from the same tour) + this hilarious sampled noises and dorks.

-------------
Tadpoles keep screaming in my ear
"Hey there! Rotter's Club!
Explain the meaning of this song and share it"

Posted By: oliverstoned
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 06:44

The most funny piece i remember is "Lemme Take You to the Beach" from Studio Tan.

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 07:15
Originally posted by Alucard Alucard wrote:

My absolutely favourite hilarious ZAppa  track is the 20 minutes version of 'Don't eat The Yellow Snow ' on 'YCDTOSA'Vol. 1, where he asked the public to 'jump up and down',( "I'll do the stupid thing first and then you shy people follow"), followed by the great poetry contest...In general I find his live recordings funnier, I like Zappa's improvised humour when he makes comments on the band, or answers a public request,... another winner, 'The Best Band You Never Heard In You Life' and the 1986 touring band in general. All the pastiche songs, for example the Johnny Cash imitation 'Ring Of Fire') and commentaries (mostly politic, this was the tour when Zappa asked the people to vote after the show,BTW 'Broadway The Hard Way and 'Jazz From Hell' come from the same tour) + this hilarious sampled noises and dorks.

Zappa in New York is another classic ... humorous highlights include Titties 'n Beer, The Illionois Enema Bandit, The Black Page (Easy Listening Version) and of course: Punky's Whips.LOL

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: akamarko
Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 20:13
Absolutley Free
We're Only In It For The Money
200 Motels (some parts)
Just Another Band From La
Filmore East
You Are What You Is
Broadway The Hard Way

Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 20:16
Of what I've heard as of now:

Top 5:

1. Roxy and Elsewhere
2. You Are What You Is
3. Over-Nite Sensation
4. Apostrophe (')
5. You Are What You Is

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: Bern
Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 20:26

Top 5:

1. Roxy and Elsewhere
2. You Are What You Is
3. Over-Nite Sensation
4. Apostrophe (')
5. You Are What You Is

You must really laugh when hearing You are what you is for putting it 2 times in the top 5? Shocked

Wink

-------------

RIP in bossa nova heaven.

Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 20:27
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

Top 5:

1. Roxy and Elsewhere
2. You Are What You Is
3. Over-Nite Sensation
4. Apostrophe (')
5. You Are What You Is

You must really laugh when hearing You are what you is for putting it 2 times in the top 5? Shocked

Wink

LOL. Now I'm confused. Oh yeah, 5 is supposed to be We're Only in it for the Money. I don't proofread often. Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 20:28
Originally posted by Bern Bern wrote:

Top 5:

1. Roxy and Elsewhere
2. You Are What You Is
3. Over-Nite Sensation
4. Apostrophe (')
5. You Are What You Is

Wink

I think he has a gold-fish memoryWink

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 20:47
granted I'm not a Zappa expert or fan

but Apostrophe and Joe's Garage  tickle the hell outta micky's funny bone...

-------------

Posted By: PROGMAN
Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 20:55
Muffin Man and that Interview he does (Giant Squid).

-------------
CYMRU AM BYTH

Posted By: Supertwister
Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 21:43
We're Only In It For The Money
Sheik Yerbouti
Uncle Meat
Absolutely Free

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/palepoli/?chartstyle=minimalDark - [IMG - http://imagegen.last.fm/minimalDark/artists/palepoli.gif -

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 23:32
We're Only in it for the Money is TOO funny. Love it.

Posted By: oddentity
Date Posted: August 14 2006 at 00:04
For me, it would have to be Jazz From Hell, even though it's all instrumental!   It cracks me up every time I listen to it.   

After that, I'd plumb for The Adventures of Gregory Peckory, although the lyrics spoil the humour a bit.  

Posted By: Richardw
Date Posted: August 14 2006 at 05:54
My favourite moments are the "secret-word" antics on 'You Can't Do That On Stage Volume 3'. Ike Willis says "Hi-Ho-Silver" during 'Bobby Brown', and suddenly everyone is in hysterics. Loads of changed lyrics about The Lone Ranger and Tonto, and Zappa unable to sing because he's laughing so much. Scott Thunes plays the Lone Ranger theme on the bass during 'Keep It Greasy' too. Hilarious.

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: August 16 2006 at 09:54

'Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow'...

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk