Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25372
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 02:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Most Amazing Prog Metal Band
Posted By: Into_Oblivion
Subject: Most Amazing Prog Metal Band
Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 16:11
Im not sure if any of you have heard of Necrophagist. If not you should definently check them out. if you dont mind Death Metal and cookie monster vocals you should be sure to think they are amazing as do I. I think they are by far the best Prog Metal band to date. I reccomend the Songs infact i dont Even reccomend songs.. Get their albums they are well worth it.

If you are looking for a Death Metal Yngwie Malmsteen you have found it with Necrophagist's Guitar players Muhammed Suiçmez(Also Vocals) and Sami Raatikainen on guitar. On bass you have Stefan Fimmers who plays some of the most amazing Bass riffs I have ever heard. And last but not least Hannes Grossmann On drums is Simply stunning... Clap Like I  said if you have not heard Necrophagist yet and like Prog and Death Metal you should DEFINENTLY check this band out I think there are simply STUNNING!

-------------
I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule.

Replies:
Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 16:14
Anekdoten / IQ / Mr. Bungle / Sleepytime Gorilla Museum... don't argue with this, prog metal fans, please...

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Posted By: MajesterX
Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 16:30
Originally posted by Into_Oblivion Into_Oblivion wrote:

Im not sure if any of you have heard of Necrophagist. If not you should definently check them out. if you dont mind Death Metal and cookie monster vocals you should be sure to think they are amazing as do I. I think they are by far the best Prog Metal band to date. I reccomend the Songs infact i dont Even reccomend songs.. Get their albums they are well worth it.

If you are looking for a Death Metal Yngwie Malmsteen you have found it with Necrophagist's Guitar players Muhammed Suiçmez(Also Vocals) and Sami Raatikainen on guitar. On bass you have Stefan Fimmers who plays some of the most amazing Bass riffs I have ever heard. And last but not least Hannes Grossmann On drums is Simply stunning... Clap Like I  said if you have not heard Necrophagist yet and like Prog and Death Metal you should DEFINENTLY check this band out I think there are simply STUNNING!

Wacko I listened to a couple of songs available through their website. It's interesting music....

It's like waay too fast proggy tech metal with cookie monster vocals. No offense, they are pretty good, just not to my taste as they are too fast/ mindless solo-ish/ heavy for me. Thanks though, I know someone who would like them and i'll recommend them.

-------------

Posted By: robertplantowns
Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 16:51
Sounds interesting, which album(s) of theirs would you recommend?  And no, don't tell me the one that's "easiest" to get into. Wink Thanks!

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 17:18

hahah... it's worth a listen just to know what the hell 'cookie monster'  vocals are hahahha. 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 17:23
Originally posted by robertplantowns robertplantowns wrote:

Sounds interesting, which album(s) of theirs would you recommend?  And no, don't tell me the one that's "easiest" to get into. Wink Thanks!

They only have 2 albums Onset Of Putrefaction and Epitaph which I Highly Reccomend Both,but I think Epitaph is their better album

-------------
I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule.

Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 17:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahah... it's worth a listen just to know what the hell 'cookie monster'  vocals are hahahha. 
  The deep growling vocals that Opeth and most death metal bands use are commonly refered to as "Cookie Monster" vocals.

-------------

Posted By: AtLossForWords
Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 17:48
Does anyone ever think that technical death metal and progressive death metal are two different things?

-------------

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."

Posted By: Forgotten Son
Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 18:32
Originally posted by AtLossForWords AtLossForWords wrote:

Does anyone ever think that technical death metal and progressive death metal are two different things?

I do.

Cuncuna,

Why do you think IQ is a Prog-Metal band?

-------------

Posted By: robertplantowns
Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 18:46

No, what is a progressive death metal group that doesn't play technical death metal?  The only example I can think of is Opeth.

-------------

Posted By: goose
Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 18:53

what is a progressive death metal group that doesn't play technical death metal?  The only example I can think of is Opeth.

Edge of Sanity, for sure. I can't think of any others offhand, but then I don't listen to much death metal that isn't tech..!

The important question, though, isn't prog death metal bands that don't play tecchy, it's tech death metal bands that don't play proggy. And since there are hundreds of tech death metal bands, some of whom are as the days go by getting increasingly similar, I find labelling them all prog a little generous!

Posted By: Reverie
Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 19:52

No, what is a progressive death metal group that doesn't play technical death metal?  The only example I can think of is Opeth.

Maudlin of the Well, off the top of my head. Well they don't always play death metal, but they certainly touch on it in a number of songs. Prog metal at least, death metal at times.

I most certainly agree with the sentiment that technicality does NOT equal prog. If technical metal is prog that opens the flood gates. There are ENDLESS amounts of technical metal bands, most of whch are not doing anything new or interesting.

As far as Necrophagist goes they're pretty good. They can definitely play their instruments (!), and yes it's technical metal, but i don't agree with calling them prog.

Posted By: MajesterX
Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 20:48

I do. It isn't just about how fast you play or how many time signature changes you have.

-------------

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 20:57
Necrophagist is a great band,I recommend their album Epitaph.

-------------

Posted By: cuncuna
Date Posted: June 27 2006 at 22:26
Originally posted by Forgotten Son Forgotten Son wrote:

I do.Cuncuna,Why do you think IQ is a Prog-Metal band?

I don't, but they are what prog metal should be. Specially on certain passages on subterranea.

-------------
¡Beware of the Bee!

Posted By: Moatilliatta
Date Posted: June 28 2006 at 11:44
progressive and technical are definitely different.

Necrophagist is incredibly talented, but I can't listen to them often.

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: June 28 2006 at 11:58
not prog, I've heard both albums and they're just furious tech death. prog death is more like Lykathea Aflame.
not that I don't like them!

Posted By: Trickster F.
Date Posted: June 28 2006 at 16:42
I would be FOR their inclusion to the archives. I think we haven't discussed them yet, how about putting them on the chart guys(?).

-- Ivan

-------------
sig

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: June 28 2006 at 17:01

I do.Smile

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Paradox
Date Posted: June 29 2006 at 10:51
I think Aghora are one of the best Prog Metal bands that I've encountered

-------------

Posted By: Trickster F.
Date Posted: June 29 2006 at 11:57
Vince:

Most Death Metal is actually quite technical. It is not a rare case that a technical band is at the same time progressive too. Many are already in the archives.

-- Ivan

-------------
sig

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk