Print Page | Close Window

Most Controversial Albums (not sellouts)

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2538
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 17:45
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Most Controversial Albums (not sellouts)
Posted By: Sweetnighter
Subject: Most Controversial Albums (not sellouts)
Date Posted: December 14 2004 at 22:01
What are the most controversial and polarizing albums ever produced in prog?

Here are, imho, the top three

1) Tales from Topographic Oceans by Yes

2) Brain Salad Surgery by ELP

3) Caress of Steel by Rush

-------------
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend

Replies:
Posted By: Prog_Bassist
Date Posted: December 14 2004 at 22:07
1) Tales from Topographic Oceans - Yes
2) The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway - Genesis
3) Snow - Spock's Beard

^Although I love those albums, I'm just saying what I think I got from the general concensus.

Do you ever notice that the most controversial albums usually turn out to be concept albums?

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY

Date Posted: December 14 2004 at 22:10
Yep... Tales, The Lamb, and BBS, two of which are concept albums, all came out around the same time (73-74) and, in my opinion, represent the farthest reaching boundary in progressive rock. 

-------------
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend

Posted By: Eddy
Date Posted: December 14 2004 at 22:20
farthust reaching boundrey?! thats some spaced out thinking! i can argue that there are alot better "out there" albums then those 3! far better examples i can name

Date Posted: December 14 2004 at 22:25
okay okay, of the more "mainstream" prog groups then. Of course, groups like VDGG did more eclectic stuff... you're right, that was dumb thing to say. Thank you for the correction 

-------------

Posted By: Eddy
Date Posted: December 14 2004 at 22:30

theres bands way more out there then even vg but ill not get into that...

i see what you mean though!topographic was way out there for a band like yes to make. the good thing about it though is that it introduced people who usually just listened to easy listenible prog dwelve into deeper, more shall i say, cosmic prog.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: December 14 2004 at 23:10

666 by Aprodites Child without any doubt: The band started to work this album around the end 1969 or the beggining of 1970 and was ready to be released in 1970, but no record label accepted the risk to release it because:

a) The Title: They dared to place the number of the beast as a title, all labels were afraidthat religious groups would boycott the without even listening the album and finding it was a bout the Holy Bible.

b) The Concept: The Book of Revelations is the most controversial in the Bible, talks about the end of the world and contains a lot of symbolism that Aphrodite's Child interpreted in their own style.

c) Sahlep: The band published and included in the cover that 666 was conceived under the influence of Sahlep. Many groups thought this was the name of a demon when in fact is a Turkish beverage.

d) Infinity (Symbol): This track sung by the wonderfull actress Irene Papas is a 5 minutes orgasm with explicit shouts and moanings.

As a result 666 was banned until 1972 Vertigo took the risk, but by that point the band had split almost one year before.

Iván

Posted By: Cinema
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 02:52
Probably two of the most controversial prog albums I can think of come
from the same highly controversial band: Yes. Of course, Tales from
Topographic Oceans was controversial, but I think even more
controversial were:

-- Drama
-- Tormato

Also extremely controversial was:

-- Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

Remember back when it came out ... it was Yes, but it wasn't really Yes at
all. And something tells me we haven't seen the last of controversial
moves from Yes.

Posted By: James Lee
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 03:01

Bongo Fury

Earthbound

and I agree with the Tales pick...I'm still surprised how many people dislike it!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/sollipsist/?chartstyle=kaonashi">

Posted By: Emperor
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 04:49

I also cannot understand about people who doesen't want to listen TALES some times more and dig into this great record at last! :-)

1) Yes TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS (1973)

2) Jethro Tull A PASSION PLAY (1973)

3) Peter Hammill LOOPS AND REELS (1983)

Personally I love all the mentioned albums...

-------------
I Prophesy Disaster...

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 05:03
Originally posted by Emperor Emperor wrote:

I also cannot understand about people who doesen't want to listen TALES some times more and dig into this great record at last! :-)

1Personally I love all the mentioned albums...

Sorry mate, it's my least loved prog album. I think it's a rubbish record

However, I'm glad someone is getting some pleasure out of it.

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Posted By: Joren
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 05:41
For me, Dark Side Of The Moon is the most controversial. EVERYBODY thinks it's one of the best prog records ever, except for me. I think it's good pop, nothing more.

Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 05:53
Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

1Personally I love all the mentioned albums...

Sorry mate, it's my least loved prog album. I think it's a rubbish record

However, I'm glad someone is getting some pleasure out of it.

Hi, Sigod :-)

I remember how it took at least doezen times to listen before I only began to get into it. But the album is really amazing. Really, try again! And my suggest: don't start to listen with the opening track (The Revealing Science Of God) - better begin with the 2nd one - The Remembering - it's more listen friendly! ;-)

-------------
I Prophesy Disaster...

Posted By: Swinton MCR
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 06:06

Tales from Topographic Oceans - The foremost example of OTT progressive rock, shortly followed by The Lamb and possibly Animals.

TFTT was so OTT that is is used as the paradigm for everything that was supposed to be WRONG with prog. But, surely is a paradigm of what was RIGHT about progressive rock! I just wish that a few more (perhaps even completely instrumental studio double/treble albums had been recorded - the  more OTT the better - but not weird/dischord - True Soaring/melodic sublime prog, alas it was never to be !

-------------
Play me my song, here it comes again

Posted By: will
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 06:48
Originally posted by Eddy Eddy wrote:

theres bands way more out there then even vg but ill not get into that...

Why dont you tell us?

-------------
Long live progression.
Will

Posted By: Alucard
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 08:09
Balletto di Bronzo : Ys and Locanda della Fatte : Forse le luciole.. get quiet opposite reactions. I love Forse... and never got into Ys.

Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 08:26

Why?

YS is not so complex or hard-to-get album... It really Progs! :-)

-------------
I Prophesy Disaster...

Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 08:27
Oh, yes, FORSE is also great! The opening instrumental track is simply wonderful. I also have LIVE (1977) by Locand Delle Fate, haven't the only last album...

-------------
I Prophesy Disaster...

Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 08:31
[QUOTE=Emperor]

Why?

YS is not so complex or hard-to-get album... It really Progs! :-)

I didn't say it was hard. (nor hard to get) I just don't. I listened to it maybe 5 times, no spark coming over!

Posted By: greenback
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 09:17

topographic

lamb lies

jethro tull - warchild

radiohead - kid A

GYBE! - lift up your skinny....

tool - lateralus

pink floyd - final cut

king crimson - red

-------------
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 09:22

[QUOTE=sigod][QUOTE=Emperor]

Hi, Sigod :-)

I remember how it took at least doezen times to listen before I only began to get into it. But the album is really amazing. Really, try again! And my suggest: don't start to listen with the opening track (The Revealing Science Of God) - better begin with the 2nd one - The Remembering - it's more listen friendly! ;-)

'Kay, I'll give it a go. Always happy to get full value for money out of my vinyl.

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Posted By: threefates
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 10:47

ITCOTCK

ELP (the first one)

Ummagumma

TIme and a Word

These were the beginnings... when people went.."What the heck is that"

Now that was controversial!

THen BSS

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: zappa123
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 11:58
I agree with you-Ummagumma. And Freak out.And many other Zappa albums.

Posted By: Velvetclown
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 13:59
Tulls Passion Play and almost everything by Zappa.

Posted By: Wizard/TRueStar
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 15:51

Caress Of Steel

Hemispheres

The Lamb........

Wind and Wuthering

Ummagumma

The Final cut

Atom Heart Mother

Relayer

Tormato

Tales From...

Misplaced Childhood

Earthbound

In The Court.........

I love all of these. However, I have never heard KC's "Earthbound" but I am aware of it's statis as etiher another Kc masterpiece or just some poorly recorded crap.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 15:59

Originally posted by Joren Joren wrote:

For me, Dark Side Of The Moon is the most controversial. EVERYBODY thinks it's one of the best prog records ever, except for me. I think it's good pop, nothing more.

I don't think it's that great either.So there's 2 of us then!

Posted By: Reed Lover
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 16:00

Familiarity breeds contempt?

Disapprove

-------------

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 16:16
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

Familiarity breeds contempt?

Disapprove

Possibly in the case of Money but the rest of it (except Us and Them) does little for me.Undoubtedly they used a lot of clever recording tricks which seem to impress a lot of people and the dark themes strike a chord with many.It all seems a bit bloodless to me though.Not enough aggression for my liking to go with the alienantion and paranoia of the lyrics.Animals on the other hand ..I love!

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 16:20

Most controversial (or polarising) is neo-prog music. Antagonists believe it's all derivative and hardly original, and some find it even better than most/some of the old masters. I'm one of the latter.so in a way all albums by neo-prog musicians can be considered controversial.

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: Prog_Bassist
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 16:26
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

3 of us. I mean, I think it's a really good album, but it's VVVEEERRRYYY overrated.

Pink Floyd is good, I like them, hell, Im getting them live in pompeii dvd this christmas, and a cheap dsotm t-shirt, but, I don't agree that they're musical GENIUSES or anything, they're not even close to as good as people hype them up to be.

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY

Posted By: threefates
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 16:48

Originally posted by Prog_Bassist Prog_Bassist wrote:

Pink Floyd is good, I like them, hell, Im getting them live in pompeii dvd this christmas, and a cheap dsotm t-shirt, but, I don't agree that they're musical GENIUSES or anything, they're not even close to as good as people hype them up to be.

Gilmour is Genius!

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: tuxon
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 17:00

3 of us. I mean, I think it's a really good album, but it's VVVEEERRRYYY overrated.

4 of us. and counting.

-------------
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT

Posted By: James Lee
Date Posted: December 15 2004 at 22:54

Are there really that many people talking about Pink Floyd's genius? I guess I need to get out more... 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/sollipsist/?chartstyle=kaonashi">

Date Posted: December 16 2004 at 00:11
I think PF is good, and DSOTM, Animals, and The Wall are great albums, but they're nowhere near as good as groups such as Yes, Rush, and ELP.

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2004 at 06:14
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

[QUOTE=Joren]For me, Dark Side Of The Moon is the most controversial. EVERYBODY thinks it's one of the best prog records ever, except for me. I think it's good pop, nothing more.

4 of us. and counting.

Make it 5!

I think it was the first record where the production was far more important than the music itself.Must have been for a long time number One in "Let me show you how great this HiFi system will sound in your living room."Get any bootleg of their tour, they are much better "musically", Gilmore doing more interesting solos, they got more edge, and they played tighter.  

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: December 16 2004 at 07:03

Dark Side.., just because it splits opinions of prog fans so dramatically into the elightened (those who just enjoy it for the pure work of art that it is) and the blinkered (those who criticise it for being overrated).

Tales is only controversial because it's loooong noodly rubbish dressed up as prog in a Roger Dean cover. I've owned my copy for 23 years, and never been able to find much to enjoy about it, except, maybe, the trademark rich bass sound and tight drums.

The harmonies are (typically of Yes) utterly naff, ultimately stem from Crosby Stills and Nash, and lack drive and dynamic. The precision and intention behind the compositions is impressive, but the actual music leaves me cold - possibly because of that precision. I prefer the early Yes albums, but I'd still choose to listen to almost any other prog band, given the choice.

Aphrodite's Child is far more controversial in the real sense, as is much of Zappa's back catalogue.

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: December 16 2004 at 10:53

Make it 3

Posted By: zappa123
Date Posted: December 16 2004 at 10:55
Originally posted by Alucard Alucard wrote:

Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

[QUOTE=Joren]For me, Dark Side Of The Moon is the most controversial. EVERYBODY thinks it's one of the best prog records ever, except for me. I think it's good pop, nothing more.

4 of us. and counting.

Make it 5!

I think it was the first record where the production was far more important than the music itself.Must have been for a long time number One in "Let me show you how great this HiFi system will sound in your living room."Get any bootleg of their tour, they are much better "musically", Gilmore doing more interesting solos, they got more edge, and they played tighter.  

5 of us.

Posted By: Wizard/TRueStar
Date Posted: December 16 2004 at 18:02

Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

I think PF is good, and DSOTM, Animals, and The Wall are great albums, but they're nowhere near as good as groups such as Yes, Rush, and ELP.

Oooooooooooooooh interesting. Never heard that one before.  Pink Floyd doesn't have the same prog elemments as those you comparing and visa versa. Actually I think Floyd is only in the archives for the musical enjoyment and experience they create.  They don't have (at least I think) the prog elements that has often been decided  by eveyone who's tryed to say what "prog" is.  Floyd will go to my island rather than the others metioned above.

Posted By: Raymon7174
Date Posted: December 16 2004 at 18:31
I took a while, but someone finally mentioned "The Wall". There are are many who are not crazy about Roger Waters' overbearing influence on some of Floyd's music. "The Wall" has excellent portions and a great concept, but is very slow and boring in part, and I think, very controversial. Nowhere near as controversial  as Tales which I happen to love. Admittedly, Tales gets slow in portions, but not boring if you are in the mood to immerse yourself in it.

-------------
Raymon

Posted By: AngelRat
Date Posted: December 16 2004 at 18:52

I think 'DSOTM' is overrated too (6 of us now?). None of the songs (except 'Money' and 'Great Gig' maybe) ever sticks to my mind. 'The Wall' is even worse. I like most other PF stuff.

As for 'Topographic Oceans', I used to love it, but I got fed up with it, especially after I discovered lots of other, more interesting music.

-------------

Posted By: illustrated
Date Posted: December 16 2004 at 20:21

The Wall and DSOTM were quite contreversial because they appealed to the masses as well... Here, I see countless people with Dark Side T-Shirts, because they are sold at trendy, popular, mainstream clothing outlets. Hell, you wouldn't believe how many of these people haven't even listened to the album!

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: December 31 2004 at 11:50

DSOTM is prog's Sergeant Pepper - for sure, there are better Floyd albums, but it's still a great piece of work and was hugely influential.

For me, the Wall was utterly reprehensible. 'Comfortably Numb' is a superb song, and I quite like 'One Of My Turns', but overall it was the plodding, uninspired, tedious, self indulgent whining of a narcissistic, solipsistic, misanthropic songwriter who had started to believe in his own hype. If EXACTLY the same album had come out as an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical it would be about as popular on this board as Evita. Had Roger Waters released his portrait of how awful life was as a rock star, and then retired to become a farmer, or had given away all his money to charitable causes and joined the priesthood, then it would be possible to take it seriously. Instead we got 'The Final Cut' and his solo career.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Date Posted: December 31 2004 at 11:53
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

DSOTM is prog's Sergeant Pepper - for sure, there are better Floyd albums, but  If EXACTLY the same album had come out as an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical it would be about as popular on this board as Evita.

haha love the comparison

-------------

Date Posted: January 01 2005 at 15:11
Originally posted by Sweetnighter Sweetnighter wrote:

DSOTM is prog's Sergeant Pepper - for sure, there are better Floyd albums, but  If EXACTLY the same album had come out as an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical it would be about as popular on this board as Evita.

haha love the comparison

Glad you liked it, but the Andrew Lloyd Webber comparison was re. The Wall, not DSOTM.

-------------
'Like so many of you

Posted By: Garion81
Date Posted: January 01 2005 at 15:19

DSOTM is prog's Sergeant Pepper - for sure, there are better Floyd albums, but it's still a great piece of work and was hugely influential.

For me, the Wall was utterly reprehensible. 'Comfortably Numb' is a superb song, and I quite like 'One Of My Turns', but overall it was the plodding, uninspired, tedious, self indulgent whining of a narcissistic, solipsistic, misanthropic songwriter who had started to believe in his own hype. If EXACTLY the same album had come out as an Andrew Lloyd Webber musical it would be about as popular on this board as Evita. Had Roger Waters released his portrait of how awful life was as a rock star, and then retired to become a farmer, or had given away all his money to charitable causes and joined the priesthood, then it would be possible to take it seriously. Instead we got 'The Final Cut' and his solo career.

Sorry, but Sgt. Peppers denotes change for the better. It meant a freeing of chains that Record Companies shackled artists with. DSOTM did nothing like this. So why do you make that anology? It makes no sense.

-------------

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"

Date Posted: January 01 2005 at 15:30
I was referring to the way that DSOTM is perceived as the definitive Floyd album (and in many cases prog album), in the same way the Sgt Pepper is seen as the definitive Beatles/psychedelic album. I love both albums, but I prefer Wish You Were Here and Revolver.

-------------
'Like so many of you

Posted By: Batts
Date Posted: January 01 2005 at 17:56

Originally posted by Cinema Cinema wrote:

Probably two of the most controversial prog albums I can think of come
from the same highly controversial band: Yes. Of course, Tales from
Topographic Oceans was controversial, but I think even more
controversial were:

-- Drama
-- Tormato

Also extremely controversial was:

-- Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe

Remember back when it came out ... it was Yes, but it wasn't really Yes at
all. And something tells me we haven't seen the last of controversial
moves from Yes.

What do you mean by saying that the Anderson Bruford Wakeman & Howe album wasn't really Yes at all???? I think the album is as close to the Yes sound you can get considering the release year was 1989. By far the best Yes album in the 80's

-------------
marching on together!!

Posted By: Fragile
Date Posted: January 01 2005 at 18:20
Totally agree Batts it was a very good album, great pity We didn't get a second and you are a absoloutely right again ABWH was the best Yes album of the 80's but then that wouldn't have been hard would it Batts!!!!

Posted By: Lunarscape
Date Posted: January 01 2005 at 18:40

Mike Oldfields - AMAROK

Isotope's - ISOTOPE

Vangelis - SOIL FESTIVITIES

Now thats controversial music...

Lunar after the hangover ! ! !

-------------
Music Is The Soul Bird That Flies In The Immense Heart Of The Listener . . .

Posted By: BebieM
Date Posted: January 01 2005 at 18:46

DSOTM is overrated, there are way better PF albums ..... (WYWH, AHM, Animals, PATGOD), but the most overrated PF album is The Wall, for sure. It may have a nice concept, but it's musically not even close to the others .. (possible exception comfortably numb).

Sorry, but what exactly means "controversial" (english 2nd language...) ? Like against the stream?

Posted By: Batts
Date Posted: January 01 2005 at 20:14

Originally posted by Fragile Fragile wrote:

Totally agree Batts it was a very good album, great pity We didn't get a second and you are a absoloutely right again ABWH was the best Yes album of the 80's but then that wouldn't have been hard would it Batts!!!!

That really true Fragile!! But I must admit that I did like some of the song on Big Generator and 90125 even though I can't file those albums under the label "prog". BTW Happy New Year to you and your daughter

-------------
marching on together!!

Posted By: Rob The Good
Date Posted: January 01 2005 at 21:13
I think Tull's "Passion Play" and Yes "Tales from the Topographic Oceans": they really divide their fans!

Oh, and add me to the list of people who find DSOTM to be overrated. I mean, it's great and I do like it, but it's hardly the masterpiece that it's regularly touted to be. It's no CTTE people!

-------------
And Jesus said unto John, "come forth and receive eternal life..."
Unfortunately, John came fifth and was stuck with a toaster.

Posted By: Reed Lover
Date Posted: January 02 2005 at 05:44

This antipathy towards DSOTM is bizaare.

Look at the facts:

1.It is loved by the majority of Prog Rock fans (and we like to think of ourselves as discerning)

2. It sold in bucketloads to the plebs (who we like to think of as morons)

3.People still go out and buy it in the 1000's 30 years later.

I know just because something is popular and sells in vast amounts, that doesnt make it good.But this album proves that you can be popular and maintain your integrity.

And suggests what a bloody good album it is as it succeeds intellectually and commercially!

-------------

Posted By: jiggajake
Date Posted: January 02 2005 at 11:12
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

666 by Aprodites Child without any doubt: The band started to work this album around the end 1969 or the beggining of 1970 and was ready to be released in 1970, but no record label accepted the risk to release it because:

a) The Title: They dared to place the number of the beast as a title, all labels were afraidthat religious groups would boycott the without even listening the album and finding it was a bout the Holy Bible.

b) The Concept: The Book of Revelations is the most controversial in the Bible, talks about the end of the world and contains a lot of symbolism that Aphrodite's Child interpreted in their own style.

c) Sahlep: The band published and included in the cover that 666 was conceived under the influence of Sahlep. Many groups thought this was the name of a demon when in fact is a Turkish beverage.

d) Infinity (Symbol): This track sung by the wonderfull actress Irene Papas is a 5 minutes orgasm with explicit shouts and moanings.

As a result 666 was banned until 1972 Vertigo took the risk, but by that point the band had split almost one year before.

Iván

Thank you for explaining how they were controversial, thats very interesting, and provocative, i'm going to download the album now (sorry to all i offend by downloading music)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk