Print Page | Close Window

New Mars Volta album: release date and details!

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=25761
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 16:21
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: New Mars Volta album: release date and details!
Posted By: Ty1020
Subject: New Mars Volta album: release date and details!
Date Posted: July 05 2006 at 22:04
Taken from www.themarsvolta.com:

Amputechture Artwork & Release Date

July 3 2006

Jeff Jordan's "Big Mutant" will serve as the cover for Amputechture, which will be released on August 22nd.

Amputechture Tracklisting

June 16 2006

1. VICARIOUS ATONEMENT
2. TETRAGRAMMATON
3. VERMICIDE
4. MECCAMPUTECHTURE
5. ASILOS MAGDALENA
6. VISCERA EYES
7. DAY OF THE BAPHOMETS
8. EL CIERVO VULNERADO

There's also a link to a Billboard article that talks about the album a bit: http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002765156

If you don't feel like reading the whole article, here's a little summary:
-The opening track, Vicarious Atonement, is 7 minutes long and is "the closest the group has ever come to a ballad."
-The second track, Tetragrammation, is almost 17 minutes long Big smile
-Meccamputechture and Day of the Baphomets are both over 11 minutes each
-The album runs for a total length of over 76 minutes

I also found out the following bits of info about the album on Wikipedia:
-The album is said to feature acoustic guitars as well as horns and percussion, utilizing almost a dozen players, including Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante who will be featured as guest guitarist on every track.
-Vermicide will be the first single from the album.
-The unofficial lengths for each track are as follows:

1. Vicarious Atonement (7:21)
  2. Tetragrammaton (16:43)
  3. Vermicide (4:17)
  4. Meccamputechture (11:03)
  5. Asilos Magdalena (6:36)
  6. Viscera Eyes (9:25)
  7. Day of the Baphomets (11:57)
  8. El Ciervo Vulnerado (8:59)

Anybody else out there as excited as I am for this one?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Ty1020/">

Replies:
Posted By: Progdrummer05
Date Posted: July 05 2006 at 22:13
Oh man i can't wait for this i already own their first two albums and dang there is something about these guys i like its just they are so different and from all the stuff i read about this album oh man i can't wait KEEP PROGGIN MV

-------------
Carry On My Wayward Son

Posted By: GoldenSpiral
Date Posted: July 05 2006 at 22:19
now here comes the question:

how much of the record is great music and how much is tacked on noise?

still it will probly be good.

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/altaic" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Posted By: CaincelaOreinim
Date Posted: July 05 2006 at 23:08
Having heard/acquired Asilos Magdalena and Vermicide...and judging from these songs alone (this being an obvious premature summation) I would say the new one's going to be more laid back, melodic, acoustic with electric guitar solos, and as of now looks to be not overtaken by an abundance of 'ambience'/'noise'.

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: July 06 2006 at 00:55
Lets hope you're right. I don't mind the noise since I could say that FTM is a masterpiece along with De-loused, but I don't want an album that sounds like both of them. I wan't something new and fresh.

Let's see if this one can push the boundries even further.

-------------

Posted By: SirPsycho388
Date Posted: July 06 2006 at 02:27
Hopefully we'll get less "noise" on this one

-------------
Strangers passing in the street by chance two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see is me. And do I take you by the hand and lead you through the land and help me understand the best I can

Date Posted: July 06 2006 at 04:26
3/8 so far...they've taken a different very much so laid-back direction on this album it seems...which is bound to piss off and also prick peoples' ears I would think...I'm also wondering if the longer tracks are going to be heavily brass augmented fusion jams a la Davis' Bitches Brew...so without further ado, to avoid being castigated, I'll shut my mouth further in divulging these spoils. 

Posted By: Yanns
Date Posted: July 06 2006 at 09:33
^ Two questions.

One, how absolutely sure are you that those three are the actual songs.

Two, I've heard that the drumming is the most intense on any Volta album yet. We've all heard that. So, how is it the most laidback?

Posted By: alan_pfeifer
Date Posted: July 06 2006 at 12:34
I think that the two songs that leaked (Vermicide and Asilios magdalena) might be parts of a bigger song, after I heard them at least.  They're very similar in mood, but then again this is TMV that we're talking about, and their 1st few released/leaked songs rarely sum up the whole album.

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: July 06 2006 at 12:40
Hopefully it will have good music this time! Frances the Mute was an abomination, IMO. Embarrassed

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: The Ryan
Date Posted: July 06 2006 at 14:25
I have heard Vicarious Atonement, Vermicide, Meccaumputechture and Asilos Magdalena as well as a two minute preview of Day of the Baphomets and I can verify for those curious about the "noise" (FTM), from what I can tell it has severely been cut back, if there may be any at all on the album. Amputechture is a forced to be reckoned with. I'm listening to Vicarious Atonement right now for the first time and it almost reminds me a little of Televators but more dragged out and slightly slower. I almost can't believe that's what they're going to open the album with... but do not mistake my comment to hint that Amputechture to sound like De-Loused, it won't. Someone in this topic mentioned the songs may run together, as if Vermicide may serve as a sort of opener for the next track, well Vicarious Atonement is infact the opener for track 2, it leaves me in suspense. On the upside Meccamputechture blew me away, that is one hell of a track boys. I CANNOT WAIT to hear the 17 minute one.

To be completely subjective about Vermicide, in my opinion it makes a poor single. I may be wrong, we will see!

Date Posted: July 06 2006 at 14:33
Originally posted by CaincelaOreinim CaincelaOreinim wrote:

Having heard/acquired Asilos Magdalena and Vermicide...and judging from these songs alone (this being an obvious premature summation) I would say the new one's going to be more laid back, melodic, acoustic with electric guitar solos, and as of now looks to be not overtaken by an abundance of 'ambience'/'noise'.

The album may be laid back thus far, but Meccamputechture, the 11 minute song, is a lot faster and chaotic then Asilos Magdalena and Vermicide.

Date Posted: July 06 2006 at 14:57
Originally posted by Yanns Yanns wrote:

^ Two questions.

One, how absolutely sure are you that those three are the actual songs.

Two, I've heard that the drumming is the most intense on any Volta album yet. We've all heard that. So, how is it the most laidback?

It's undeniably them the tracks I've heard...and as to your second question some have been speculating that Theodore was being sarcastic...but as the last post says, perhaps the longer tracks are more explosive and frenetic.

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: July 06 2006 at 19:08
warning issued to The Ryan and post deleted.

Please everybody:

YOU MUST NOT POST LINKS TO ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS.

Such actions can get this site closed down.

Posted By: The Green Tank
Date Posted: July 06 2006 at 19:47
I will buy this album, and I will listen!

-------------

Posted By: Figglesnout
Date Posted: July 06 2006 at 20:55
I've heard all but the last two tracks and I'll say it's magnificent and very very very different. Much more laid back and a little less energy-based, this one will take some growing and I'm sure many won't like it as much as the previous entries. But I do. Although I will admit the single's a little weak. I still love it though.

-------------
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case

Date Posted: July 07 2006 at 02:58
I have now heard the album in it's entirety and WOW. It's BY FAR the most progressive release and also it's stunning. I have a feeling TMV will be gaaining some new favors from the PA members with this one...

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2006 at 03:02
Just having heard the first four tracks (having had to run out to go work) and stopping it near the end of Meccamputechture...it was sublime....here's to tomorrow's listen!

Posted By: robertplantowns
Date Posted: July 07 2006 at 08:35
This album is fantastic.  The Mars Volta must have been reading some of the posts here at the archives because there is virtually no "noise" to speak of like in FTM.  All the songs are wonderfully constructed without filler.  This is the most coherent and well put constructed TMV album to date, bar none!  There's also some great SAX in it and excellent rhodes and hammond as well.  This album will surely not disappoint and I'm anxious to see what all you say about it as well as the TMV bashers.  

-------------

Date Posted: July 07 2006 at 14:55
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

warning issued to The Ryan and post deleted.

Please everybody:

YOU MUST NOT POST LINKS TO ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS.

Such actions can get this site closed down.

Sorry.

Posted By: DavidInsabella
Date Posted: July 07 2006 at 17:20
Wow... ever get the feeling like a wave of exitement just hit you?

-------------
Life seemed to him merely like a gallery of how to be.

Date Posted: July 07 2006 at 18:00
Originally posted by DavidInsabella DavidInsabella wrote:

Wow... ever get the feeling like a wave of exitement just hit you?

Only during sex.

Posted By: wodaemang
Date Posted: July 07 2006 at 21:23
im gonna wait for the actual album to come out, i downloaded 10,000 days prior to its release and was very excited to hear it, but i think it took away from the overall experience of the album....tho im extremely excited to hear it

Posted By: YYZed
Date Posted: July 07 2006 at 22:46
I havn't had a chance to listen yet, but will ASAP. I will also buy it ASAP.

-------------

Posted By: Yanns
Date Posted: July 08 2006 at 02:07
Volta is one of the only bands (if not the only band) that I have to wait until their album's release to actually get it. I can't hear a pirated copy first. I need to buy the album, hold it, look at it, and listen. Especially after Frances, which was the same way for me.

Amputechture has me more excited than a fat kid in a pastry shop, man.

Posted By: Trickster F.
Date Posted: July 08 2006 at 10:10
Originally posted by robertplantowns robertplantowns wrote:

This album is fantastic.  The Mars Volta must have been reading some of the posts here at the archives because there is virtually no "noise" to speak of like in FTM.  All the songs are wonderfully constructed without filler.  This is the most coherent and well put constructed TMV album to date, bar none!  There's also some great SAX in it and excellent rhodes and hammond as well.  This album will surely not disappoint and I'm anxious to see what all you say about it as well as the TMV bashers.  

Tongue

-------------
sig

Date Posted: July 08 2006 at 12:53
This album is noiseless. There's a good :30 of ambience. That's IT. Meaning about 76 mins even of straight music. The album is still pausesless so it plays like one big Cassandra Geminni. I really like it except for one thing. John Frusciante ruins at least 2 minutes of the album with his horrid, scale hopping guitar solos. Omar's technique and sound is so much better, yet Frus. was subsituted at teh dumbest points a few times. It's moderately disappointing because I know if Omar had taken these points the solos would have been 10X more awesome and I'd love these moments. Tetragrammaton intro = AHHHH QUIT PLAYING JOHN. I hope he dies before the next release because death always makes a good TMV album =)

Quick track breakdown...QUIT READING SPOILERS (BUT NOT VERY BIG ONES):

Vicarious Atonement (quite haunting) 10/10

Tetragrammaton (first minute is average because of Frus. then it has a great great great vocal spot. This is really Cedric's shining moment) 9/10

Vermicide (not the best single in the world but it suits the album itself very well) 8/10

Meccamputechture (neat beginning and great horns throughout) 9/10

Asilos Magdalena (great guitarwork and very haunting) 10/10

Viscera Eyes (this song is great. more great vocal and horn spots. the guitar magically seems to come to life on this song, meaning Frus. is shoved aside) 10/10

Day of the Baphomets (great song with a sweet bass solo early on and sweet percussion one later on.) 10/10

El Ceirvo Vulnerado (Ambuletz anyone? Well not quite but just as mysterious, slow, and haunting. Oded choice for an ending, but fitting as the album mirrors itself) 9/10

So, my average as of now (if John's work can grow on me it'll be as good as the formers = 10/10).
10 + 9 + 8 + 9 + 10 + 10 + 10 + 9 = 75/80. 9.5/10. Very very good, but slightly dimished by some bad guitar spots. Enjoy...also I hope this kinda thing was allowed...

-------------

Posted By: DavidInsabella
Date Posted: July 08 2006 at 14:44
I've heard the first four songs, and they're sounding good to me. Much more musical and melody oriented. I especially like Tetragammatron.

-------------
Life seemed to him merely like a gallery of how to be.

Date Posted: July 08 2006 at 16:18
I like Tectragrammaton except the guitar intro gets on my nerves. I'm okay with it in the outro though...

-------------

Posted By: Kleynan
Date Posted: July 19 2006 at 08:46
OH MY f**kING GOD!!!!!! Im just hearing the album for the second time, and it said click! BEST PROG ALBUM SINCE THE SEVENTIES!!!!!

-------------

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy, and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks.

Posted By: Kleynan
Date Posted: July 19 2006 at 08:49
Im literally in tears here! Omar is a genious!

-------------

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy, and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks.

Posted By: jj1414
Date Posted: July 20 2006 at 04:54
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH! Angry

NO!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk