Posted By: dralan
Subject: Syd Barrett Poll
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 12:17
 Lets settle this once and for all Wink 

Replies:
Posted By: Phil
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 12:25
The pioneering founding member of PF.
"Genius" is over-used and I hope I'm not being disrespectful by saying it doesn't (or didn't) apply to Sid.

Posted By: GPFR
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 12:58
I like the guy, pioneer of pink floyd, but he aint a genious.

-------------
www.myspace.com/hail_peter

Posted By: Heptade
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 13:31
Is there really such a thing as true genius? Most of what we do is luck of the draw...where we are at a time in history. Some guy who never was inspired to pick up a guitar and spent his life mopping floors could have been a greater genius than Barrett, Dylan or Wilson...we'll never know!

-------------
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey

Posted By: man@arms
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 13:32

genius

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 14:08
Pioneering yes, genius no. For someone with such a small output he's cast a remarkably long shadow over rock music of the last 40 years, far more so than other cult 'outsiders' like Nick Drake who also left behind a small but influential body of work.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: Open-Mind
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 14:15
Pioneering founding member of Pink Floyd

-------------
"I'm on a roll, I'm on a roll this time, I feel my luck could change.. "

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 14:27

Syd Barrett was a very gifted, charming and witty person who wrote great pop-psychedelic songs and played very adventurous guitar. Unfortunately he suffered from schizophrenia (which is not the same as a split-personality), this blended with heavy drug-abuse (cascades of LSD tablets every day) damaged his mental state and personality very much with the result that he lived the rest of his life as a kind of recluse to protect his confused and troubled mind against the world around him. He also got diabetes, the severe complications of this disease caused his death, what a very tragic end of a person that could have been the next Ray Davies or John Lennon in the late Sixties ...Cry ..

Nonetheless, I will remind him as a very creative and adventurous mind, I love his songs Arnold Layne, Scarecrow, Interstellar Overdrive and Candy And A Currant Bun, goose bumps, what an unique atmosphere Clap !

Posted By: ElwoodHerring
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 15:06
"True genius is understood dimly if at all, while lesser genius is enthroned" - Stanley G. Weinbaum

I wouldn't go so far to say Syd was a genius, but then I don't think Mozart was either (and I have listened to a LOT of Mozart before anyone jumps on me!)

I think the mark of a good musician is the extent to which he/she influences other musicians, and Syd certainly did that, and still does 35 years after he last picked up a guitar. So - pioneer, yes. Genius, sadly no.

-------------
[IMG]http://www.herring.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/DRMkillb.JPG">
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4816930.stm - Right the Copyright Wrongs (Bill Thompson's BBC blog - essential reading!)

Posted By: RoyalJelly
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 15:23
     This is really stupid, as if a poll will settle the question, especially one with the obvious prejudices implied in the questions. The man just died, the grass hasn't even grown over the grave, just listen to his music, be open, you might learn something from this wonderful songwriter.

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 15:30

A true pioneer in music, but not a genius.

Posted By: sm sm
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 15:32
He was accurately a pioneering founder of floyd. Genius, acid casualty, mad man is open to debate.

I do know he had mental problems, which didn't exactly make him mad, but needing help, not helped by the drugs

Posted By: Empathy
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 15:32
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Pioneering yes, genius no. For someone with such a small output he's cast a remarkably long shadow over rock music of the last 40 years, far more so than other cult 'outsiders' like Nick Drake who also left behind a small but influential body of work.

^ agreed

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: kebjourman
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 22:56
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Syd Barrett was a very gifted, charming and witty person who wrote great pop-psychedelic songs and played very adventurous guitar. Unfortunately he suffered from schizophrenia (which is not the same as a split-personality), this blended with heavy drug-abuse (cascades of LSD tablets every day) damaged his mental state and personality very much with the result that he lived the rest of his life as a kind of recluse to protect his confused and troubled mind against the world around him. He also got diabetes, the severe complications of this disease caused his death, what a very tragic end of a person that could have been the next Ray Davies or John Lennon in the late Sixties ...Cry ..

Nonetheless, I will remind him as a very creative and adventurous mind, I love his songs Arnold Layne, Scarecrow, Interstellar Overdrive and Candy And A Currant Bun, goose bumps, what an unique atmosphere Clap !

AMEN
nicely put

Posted By: Guillermo
Date Posted: July 13 2006 at 23:48
Pioneering founding member of Pink Floyd.

I don`t know if he really was an "LSD casualty". What was before? He took LSD because he had some mental problems before doing it, or because he took LSD he had mental problems after doing it? it is hard to say, I think. It is known that Lennon, as he said, "took thousand of LSD trips", and he carried on working in his music. Maybe Barrett was prone to mental problems, and LSD worsened them.

Posted By: GPFR
Date Posted: July 14 2006 at 19:12
Originally posted by Guillermo Guillermo wrote:

Pioneering founding member of Pink Floyd.

I don`t know if he really was an "LSD casualty". What was before? He took LSD because he had some mental problems before doing it, or because he took LSD he had mental problems after doing it? it is hard to say, I think. It is known that Lennon, as he said, "took thousand of LSD trips", and he carried on working in his music. Maybe Barrett was prone to mental problems, and LSD worsened them.

Well if it hurt him and worsenned his condition to the point were he couldn't keep producing music, then I think he qualifies as a casualty.

-------------
www.myspace.com/hail_peter

Posted By: S Lang
Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 06:18
I think I've heard all of Sid's tunes and albums. He was talented, no doubt, but Pink Floyd would never have made to the heights with him. 'Astronomy Domide", "Interstellar Overdrive" were great and somewhat inspirational, but he was no genius.

Posted By: Guzzman
Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 06:48
I say you forgot "British" in the list.
If one could vote for that, things might be clear without too much explanation.

-------------
"We've got to get in to get out"

Posted By: Joolz
Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 08:57
Originally posted by dralan dralan wrote:

Lets settle this once and for all Wink 

haha do we really think this settles anything ..... Einstein was a genius ..... was Syd in that class? ..... I voted 2nd option as founder of PF

Posted By: Masque
Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 10:05
Syd never did much for me musicaly unfortunatly  ... however living a life with a mental condition isn`t easy and when people use terms like madman it only makes it harder  !   please refrain from using such words .. Syd never hurt anybody he wasn`t mad    he was  ... special   Smile

-------------

Posted By: Losendos
Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 20:42

his output is way too small to be labelled much other than an LSD casualty.Whatever potential he showed was snuffed out. But he beat Joplin ,Hendrix and  Morrison to be the original rock and roll burn out.

-------------
How wonderful to be so profound

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 20:49
Originally posted by Losendos Losendos wrote:

his output is way too small to be labelled much other than an LSD casualty.Whatever potential he showed was snuffed out. But he beat Joplin ,Hendrix and  Morrison to be the original rock and roll burn out.
He wasn't a burnout. He suffered from mental illness and really did not bring that condition upon himself.

-------------

Posted By: YYZed
Date Posted: July 16 2006 at 21:40
Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

Originally posted by Losendos Losendos wrote:

He wasn't a burnout. He suffered from mental illness and really did not bring that condition upon himself.

Although his daily use of psychedelics and discomfort with his new found fame were definitely a catalyst in the onset of his breakdown.

Syd was definitely pioneering, but I'm not so sure he was a genius.

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: July 17 2006 at 04:21
all of the above except overated and lousy guitarist

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: July 17 2006 at 12:58
Originally posted by Phil Phil wrote:

The pioneering founding member of PF.
"Genius" is over-used and I hope I'm not being disrespectful by saying it doesn't (or didn't) apply to Sid.

It's all true!!!

-------------

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: July 17 2006 at 13:30
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

Exactly

-------------

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: July 17 2006 at 15:20
To me, he will always be an LSD casualty, although I do acknowledge him as a pioneering and influential musician aswell.

Posted By: Markus
Date Posted: July 23 2006 at 16:21
Pioneering founding member of Pink Floyd...but he was a madman too.Ouch...

Posted By: MattiR
Date Posted: August 24 2006 at 10:43
Pioneering founding member of Pink Floyd

Posted By: Negru Voda
Date Posted: August 24 2006 at 15:53
A decent musician from the 60's who is best know as the founder of Pink Floyd, who in the end was an unfortunate casualty of LSD use. There. Three options into one.
I don't understant how people see him as a genius; maybe if I liked his work more I'd see things in a different light. Until then, no.

Posted By: Kleynan
Date Posted: August 24 2006 at 16:43

IMO he's all of the above except genius. With all due respect: I'm not a big Barret fan, although I admit, he's had a huge influence on music. Without him, there wouldn't be a Pink Floyd, as we know it today.

-------------

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy, and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks.

Posted By: Pnoom!
Date Posted: October 13 2006 at 12:40
He was not a genius - but he did found Pink Floyd, and that earns him a lot of credit.  Pioneer, yes, genius, no.

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: October 13 2006 at 12:40
Originally posted by inpraiseoffolly inpraiseoffolly wrote:

He was not a genius - but he did found Pink Floyd, and that earns him a lot of credit.  Pioneer, yes, genius, no.

Same thoughts here !

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk