Print Page | Close Window

What's with the buzzing?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements
Forum Name: Report bugs here
Forum Description: Help us improve the site from a tech standpoint
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26943
Printed Date: July 02 2022 at 18:32
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: What's with the buzzing?
Posted By: E-Dub
Subject: What's with the buzzing?
Date Posted: August 04 2006 at 22:08
I know it's always good to have advertisers, sponsors and such; however, how much longer are we going to be subjected to that annoying, obnoxious, loud, pointless, buzzing banner ad on this site??!! I don't even know what it's advertising because I reach for the Refresh button faster than Anna Nicole going after a Twinkie!!!

E

-------------



Replies:
Posted By: Zoso
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 00:29
Thank you, I agree. It's quite annoying and needs to be done away with.

-------------


Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 00:31
1. Non-music prog lounge?!

2. I have nothing against it...Sleepy


-------------


Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 01:38
I couldn't agree more E-Dub. Very annoying especially when listening to my favorite prog...not appreciated. Ouch

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.


Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 14:08
Man, and what's more annoying is hitting the refresh button a couple of times and the buzzing never stops. Really, it's time for a new banner ad.

E

-------------


Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 05 2006 at 15:37
I agree. How many times can you be the millionth visitor to a web site?


Posted By: Teaflax
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 20:51
One compound word: adblock.


-------------


Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: August 07 2006 at 21:32
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

One compound word: adblock.


    
Yeah, I haven't seen it at all.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com


Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 01:22
    Whoa, I spoke too soon. That is annoying! My blocker didn't stop it.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com


Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 08:29
Where is it?


Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 09:15
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

I know it's always good to have advertisers, sponsors and such; however, how much longer are we going to be subjected to that annoying, obnoxious, loud, pointless, buzzing banner ad on this site??!! I don't even know what it's advertising because I reach for the Refresh button faster than Anna Nicole going after a Twinkie!!!

E


Use this effective combo:

http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ - http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/ + http://adblock.mozdev.org/ - http://adblock.mozdev.org/

No more ads ... in the archives or on any other website!Big smile


Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 09:18
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

    Whoa, I spoke too soon. That is annoying! My blocker didn't stop it.


I agree with Teaflax here ... Adblock rules. If for some reason it fails to block an ad, just use the "List All Blockable Elements" function and add the URLs to the list.


Posted By: YYZed
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 14:56
I have Norton IS + Firefox and I havn't seen a single banner ever on this site.

-------------


Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 16:01
Then vote in the new poll that I created ... I'm curious to see how many of us members are using ad blocking software!


Posted By: crimson thing
Date Posted: August 16 2006 at 10:59
I'm getting that buzzing now, but only on the "Wicker Man" thread....must be the dead animals attracting the flies....strangely, though, no visual banner....and, yes, I have recently installed blocking software....the buzzing serves no purpose, advertises nothing, achieves nothing....so why the f++k is it there????? Angry

-------------
"Every man over forty is a scoundrel." GBS


Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: August 16 2006 at 12:38
I had to buy a new computer because I broke the old one trying to kill that d*mned thing.


Posted By: goose
Date Posted: August 16 2006 at 18:26
Originally posted by crimson thing crimson thing wrote:

I'm getting that buzzing now, but only on the "Wicker Man" thread....must be the dead animals attracting the flies....strangely, though, no visual banner....and, yes, I have recently installed blocking software....the buzzing serves no purpose, advertises nothing, achieves nothing....so why the f++k is it there????? [IMG]height=17 alt=Angry src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley7.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

    Presumably because the blocking software isn't able to do it properly!


Posted By: crimson thing
Date Posted: August 17 2006 at 03:39
^ I meant, why does this site accept & display ads that it knows will irritate its readers?

-------------
"Every man over forty is a scoundrel." GBS


Posted By: goose
Date Posted: August 17 2006 at 05:04
The admin team at the mercy of whatever company does their advertising, until someone points it out like this thread. [email protected] has got rid of similar annoying adverts in the past, but only if someone tells him about it! I would guess it'll be gone soon enough.


Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: August 18 2006 at 11:21
In an effort to not use any profanity, I'm going to stroke out if I hear that buzzing during one of my favorite tunes again. I love this site and have it on while I'm at the office; however, it's to a point where I'm going to just shut this place down while I'm here. Who can we notify because it's gone on long enough???!!!

E

-------------


Posted By: crimson thing
Date Posted: August 20 2006 at 15:22

That bloody bee (actually sounds more like a mellotron mossie Wink ) has now found its way to the football thread..again with no visual accompaniament...which prompts two questions: do different people hear it on different threads; and don't our reported annoyances here count for anything? I have profound respect & gratitude for the hard-working guys who run this site - but could we please have an official comment on the Mellotron Mossie, why it's considered an appropriate adjunct to the site, and what it's supposed to be advertising - so I can boycott the product Evil Smile

PS ...and before some wiseguy intones "adblock, adblock, adblock..."; I've got a reputable suite of protective programmes onboard, and the last time I upgraded, my hard drive got wiped...so I'm very cautious nowadays about adding any new software...Smile



-------------
"Every man over forty is a scoundrel." GBS


Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: August 20 2006 at 15:42
Thanks to everyone who has posted here and sorry for the inconvenience.
I have informed Max.

However,the advice is sound and still applies> get yourself protected with a quality adblocking program.

Firefox browser has the facility of an ad-blocking add on.

    


Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: August 20 2006 at 16:41
I tried using AdBlock and Firefox and it's still doing it.

E

-------------


Posted By: crimson thing
Date Posted: August 20 2006 at 18:00
Tony: Thanks. Smile

-------------
"Every man over forty is a scoundrel." GBS


Posted By: [email protected]
Date Posted: August 21 2006 at 07:05
Guys, can you send a Screenshoot of the Buzzzing Ads -- so I can remove it from the inventory of ads at (TribalFusion or ValueClick ) ...

Thanks

PS : Send screenshot to [email protected]




-------------
Prog On !


Posted By: crimson thing
Date Posted: August 21 2006 at 07:37
Sorry, can't do that, Max, as my software blocks the visuals, but not the buzzing...the only time I saw the pic was when I was reading a thread as it got deleted (last night, composer's valediction...Big smile ) - it's a square box with a pic of a giant mossie....maybe someone else can copy it?
 
Thanks for dealing with it, anyhow, Max...Clap


-------------
"Every man over forty is a scoundrel." GBS


Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: August 21 2006 at 07:42
It's also turned up on Photobucket, much to my annoyance!

F5 is being overused by me at the moment.  That gets rid of the sound, until the next time it appears.  I get it all the time in The Velvet Room and now in Photobucket (which [email protected] obviously cannot solve!).

It's the most annoying advert I've ever come across!


-------------


Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: August 21 2006 at 08:59
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

I tried using AdBlock and Firefox and it's still doing it.

E


You need to block more elements. Click the adblock symbol in the bottom right corner of the browser and then block the SCRIPT element that causes the buzzing. Only active content (scripts, flash animations etc.) can cause sounds to be played. If you just block the annoying image of the ad the script keeps on running in the background.



Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: August 22 2006 at 19:57
Ad Block symbol where, Mike? You say the browser?

I see Karryn Allyson's on the top artists. She's from Kansas City and my brother just about got into a fist fight with her boyfriend (conductor of the Kansas City Symphony). Saw her a couple of times down in the city...and she's sexy as @#$&!

E

-------------


Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: August 22 2006 at 20:59
... and please tell me quick because I'm going to lose it if I hear that friggin' bug one more time!!!

E

-------------


Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: August 22 2006 at 21:01

Someone please kill it for good!



-------------


Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: August 22 2006 at 21:32
I've found a way... actually zap that mosquito with your mouse and close the window that pops up. The sound should stop, at least it works for me.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm


Posted By: crimson thing
Date Posted: August 23 2006 at 07:05
^ Are you sure you haven't accidentally ordered a boxful of mossies?

-------------
"Every man over forty is a scoundrel." GBS


Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: August 23 2006 at 07:16
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

I've found a way... actually zap that mosquito with your mouse and close the window that pops up. The sound should stop, at least it works for me.


Just to be on the safe side you need Spybot S&D or Adaware or Microsoft's own spyware detection product (all free)to check out your PC for spyware/malware etc that could now be in your system because you clicked on the ad.

No doubt Mike could clarify this..
    


Posted By: crimson thing
Date Posted: August 23 2006 at 08:12
^ When we had our computer reloaded recently (after the hard drive got wiped when installing Norton GoBack..Angry.), the guy who fixed it told us that SpyBot & AdAware (which we previously used) could cause conflicts with the all-inclusive security packages (such as Norton, which we now have). (He wasn't selling us anything, BTW, as he fixed the PC for free...Clap..and for that reason, Ladd's of Crediton, Devon deserve a plug.)
 
Any truth in this, from anyone's experience?


-------------
"Every man over forty is a scoundrel." GBS


Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: August 23 2006 at 08:18
I have installed on my PC:
Norton Systemworks + Internet Security Suite (Firewall/Anti Virus etc)

I also use Spybot S&D.

I ahve had no problems whatsoever.

============================================
PS

The only time I've ever had a conflict on my computer is between Nero and Pinnacle software. I dont know if this was ever resolved but 2 years ago it was a known conflict. It caused my cd drives to freeze when I inserted a disc.


Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: August 23 2006 at 15:24
 I have Norton Internet Security and it looks safe. It's one of those free ipod type things, and they're spyware free. They make money off of people participating in offers in hopes of geting free whatever.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm


Posted By: Fitzcarraldo
Date Posted: August 23 2006 at 23:16
Originally posted by crimson thing crimson thing wrote:

^ When we had our computer reloaded recently (after the hard drive got wiped when installing Norton GoBack..Angry.), the guy who fixed it told us that SpyBot & AdAware (which we previously used) could cause conflicts with the all-inclusive security packages (such as Norton, which we now have). (He wasn't selling us anything, BTW, as he fixed the PC for free...Clap..and for that reason, Ladd's of Crediton, Devon deserve a plug.)
 
Any truth in this, from anyone's experience?


I have Norton AntiVirus + Ad-Aware SE Personal + Spybot Search & Destroy + Windows Defender + SpywareBlaster and I've never had any trouble.

In the past I found that Ad-Aware, Spybot and Defender picked up different malware, but these days I find Defender and Ad-Aware seem to be better at detecting malware than Spybot (at least the malware that tries to get into my PCs). However the blocker part of Spybot Search & Destroy (Spybot-SD Resident) still seems to be useful, although SpywareBlaster is the master blocker (as of today 6,557 blacklisted items vs Sybot-SD Resident's 1,174). But blockers are different to scanners, so for better protection I use both types.

I also periodically run the Index.dat Suite (a.k.a. IDSuite) by Ur I.T. Mate Group to erase all traces of my browsing, including the contents of the various index.dat files that contain the URLs of every single Web page one has visited and are impossible to erase using normal methods (not the same as History, Temp files or cookies, which IDSuite also erases). There are commercial equivalents to IDSuite, but I find it does the same job for free. But I would advise only using IDSuite if one is very familiar with Windows internals and after reading the instructions and FAQs carefully.



-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=326" rel="nofollow - Read reviews by Fitzcarraldo


Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: September 01 2006 at 12:53
As much as I hate to say it, I think I'm going to power down PA while at the office. This place gives me a nice outlet while taking a breather between projects; however, the buzzing is getting to be too much. I refreshed it a good 3 or 4 times and that insipid buzzing wouldn't go away. I've heard it way too much today, I'm tired of it, and nobody does anything about it.

E

-------------


Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: September 01 2006 at 13:10
i have heard the "buzzzzz" on other web sites and other computers too - it's turning into a swarm!!!
Confused
 
 
 
 
 


-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van


Posted By: Fitzcarraldo
Date Posted: September 01 2006 at 13:13
E-Dub,

Can't you just click on the loudspeaker icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (right hand side of the Task Bar) and select Mute? Then you could browse the forums to your heart's content without hearing the buzzing. If you want to listen to a streamed track, then just reverse the process temporarily.

(If you don't have a loudspeaker icon in the Notification Area then go to Control Panel, double-click on Sounds and Audio Devices, click on the Volume tab if it is not already on top, and then select 'Place volume icon in the taskbar'.)



-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=326" rel="nofollow - Read reviews by Fitzcarraldo


Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: September 01 2006 at 13:16
Unless, like me, you listen to Music through headphones on your PC, whilst browsing PA.

I've tried to use the adblock plugin for Firefox but without success.

Firstly, it doesn't seem to work on PA and secondly, it works too well on MySpace (it stops me from listening to bands music and also stops my own track selection from playing).

It's frustrating!  Maybe Mike can tell me where I'm going wrong?


-------------


Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: September 01 2006 at 13:38
<<E-Dub,

Can't you just click on the loudspeaker icon in the System Tray/Notification Area (right hand side of the Task Bar) and select Mute? Then you could browse the forums to your heart's content without hearing the buzzing. If you want to listen to a streamed track, then just reverse the process temporarily.

(If you don't have a loudspeaker icon in the Notification Area then go to Control Panel, double-click on Sounds and Audio Devices, click on the Volume tab if it is not already on top, and then select 'Place volume icon in the taskbar'.>>

I logged back on. I hate being away from PA!

Like Geck0, I have uploaded most of my discs to iTunes and listen to them through my computer. I do hit the 'mute' button at home, but like listening to my tunes while I work. Makes it very frustrating with Marillion's "The Invisible Man" on and that friggin' buzzing comes up.

E

iTunes: "Neverland" from Marillion's Marbles By The Sea

-------------


Posted By: Fitzcarraldo
Date Posted: September 02 2006 at 18:14
Originally posted by M@X [email protected] wrote:

Guys, can you send a Screenshoot of the Buzzzing Ads -- so I can remove it from the inventory of ads at (TribalFusion or ValueClick ) ...

Thanks

PS : Send screenshot to [email protected]


 


-------------
http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=326" rel="nofollow - Read reviews by Fitzcarraldo


Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: September 02 2006 at 18:17
Thanks Fitz,
I've emailed Max..


Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: September 04 2006 at 00:57
By the way, there is a different one on Photobucket with a bee, instead of a wasp, but the buzzing is the same.  Luckily it hasn't got to PA, but if it does, I'll be sure to supply a screen shot or something!

-------------



Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk