Print Page | Close Window

Well, I guess we can write off Porcupine Tree.

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27102
Printed Date: June 01 2024 at 16:34
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Well, I guess we can write off Porcupine Tree.
Posted By: Man Overboard
Subject: Well, I guess we can write off Porcupine Tree.
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 16:22
http://www.roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=56168

Roadrunner Records U.K. has announced the signing of epic rockers PORCUPINE TREE.

PORCUPINE TREE is unquestionably one of the most difficult-to-categorise and innovative bands out there. The music is breathtaking, ranging from psychedelic trip-hop to progressive metal, and a compendium of other sounds in between.

Evolving from one man's self-indulgent creative outlet back in 1992, PORCUPINE TREE has grown into a well-respected major-label-signed four-piece who have released several albums. Their most recent, 2005's "Deadwing", served to further skyrocket the band's renown and they are currently hard at work on a brand new record — set for release on Roadrunner (excluding North America and Japan) in early 2007.

The band is fronted by singer/guitarist Steven Wilson, who also is well-known for his production work (OPETH, ANJA GARBAREK) and other musical projects: NO-MAN, BASS COMMUNION, and BLACKFIELD — the highly acclaimed collaboration with Israeli musician Aviv Geffen. Richard Barbieri (keyboards), Colin Edwin (bass), and Gavin Harrison (drums) complete the quartet.

"PORCUPINE TREE are extremely happy about our new partnership with Roadrunner Records for our forthcoming album," comments Wilson. "Roadrunner has established itself as one of the world's premier independent labels for rock music, and we couldn't be more enthusiastic about working with them to expand our audience and elevate PORCUPINE TREE to the next level."

--

It's one thing for Opeth to sign to Roadrunner, they're primarily metal (and their album was complete -before- they signed)...  PT, on the other hand...  ouch.

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/erin-susan-jennings" rel="nofollow - Bedroom guitarist". Composer, Arranger, Producer. Perfection may not exist, but I may still choose to serve Perfection.

Commissions considered.

Replies:
Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 16:25
I doubt that will really effect their output. They seemed to be going to a more metal/mainstream direction by themselves.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Empathy
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 16:30
I wonder if Roadrunner knows what they're in for. Wink

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 16:31
Looking forward to the new album next year and seeing them next month in London.....so i won't be writing them off whatever label they sign with. Business is business!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B00007J36G/ref=dp_image_text_0/202-2436305-9167049?ie=UTF8">In Absentia

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Posted By: GoldenSpiral
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 16:34
Fact: Most of RR records sucks.
common misconception:  ALL of RR records bands suck.

There are some good bands on RR (or I should say some good bands have been on RR in the past...)  but I agree with Equality that this probably won't much affect their output. 

I think it will continue to be good.

-------------
http://www.myspace.com/altaic" rel="nofollow - http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon

Posted By: Deadwing12
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 16:36
I will not write them off until I hear their next album. Simply because a band switches to a main label does not mean that their music will suffer (although this does prove true in some cases). Just look at Opeth; they switched to Roadrunner, and Ghost Reveries is considered by many to be the band's finest moment!

I, for one, am happy to hear of the change, and hope that Porcupine Tree's music will reach the broader audience it deserves, without losing the sound that makes PT who they are. If I were to venture a guess, I would expect the next album to be very similiar to Deadwing, a la the Stupid Dream - Lightbulb Sun duo.

Let's hope this starts a strong, new chapter in the life of Porcupine Tree rather than mark the end of a great era. I, however, will remian optomistic until proven otherwise.

P.S. NY, October 6th! Whose gonna be there?

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Deadwing008/?chartstyle=Basquiat">

Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 16:38
I don't think it will affect their output at all.Steven Wilson seems to be a control freak,do you really think he is going to change his music just because PT signed with Roadrunner?

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 16:47
Originally posted by Deadwing12 Deadwing12 wrote:

I will not write them off until I hear their next album. Simply because a band switches to a main label does not mean that their music will suffer (although this does prove true in some cases). Just look at Opeth; they switched to Roadrunner, and Ghost Reveries is considered by many to be the band's finest moment!

I, for one, am happy to hear of the change, and hope that Porcupine Tree's music will reach the broader audience it deserves, without losing the sound that makes PT who they are. If I were to venture a guess, I would expect the next album to be very similiar to Deadwing, a la the Stupid Dream - Lightbulb Sun duo.

Let's hope this starts a strong, new chapter in the life of Porcupine Tree rather than mark the end of a great era. I, however, will remian optomistic until proven otherwise.

Ghost Reveries was complete before Opeth signed over, they had absolutely no effect on it.

As for PT...  yeah, maybe this won't ruin them.  But the majority of RR bands are awful, certain -past- bands excluded.  And yeah, PT seems to be ready and willing to go even more commercial.

Just makes me nervous.

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/erin-susan-jennings" rel="nofollow - Bedroom guitarist". Composer, Arranger, Producer. Perfection may not exist, but I may still choose to serve Perfection.

Commissions considered.

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 16:49
Well MO,I happen to really like the direction PT have taken with their recent releases like In Absentia and Deadwing.

-------------

Posted By: d.o.k
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 16:49
Hopefully, Wilco and Laura Veirs didn't move to contemporary music when they moved at Nonesuch...
This is just about business, nothing else.

-------------
my band : http://lgab.tk - http://lgab.tk

Posted By: AtLossForWords
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 16:51
Originally posted by GoldenSpiral GoldenSpiral wrote:

Fact: Most of RR records sucks.
common misconception:  ALL of RR records bands suck.

Yeah, they still have Nightwish and Opeth.  I was very disappointed in Opeth RR release though.

-------------

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."

Posted By: Supertwister
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:00
The one thing I hate about roadrunner is that they have advertisements everywhere.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/palepoli/?chartstyle=minimalDark - [IMG - http://imagegen.last.fm/minimalDark/artists/palepoli.gif -

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:00
It's an interesting thread title and theory MO.

Is the change of label something that genuinely worries you? Do you feel that PT will in some way be forced by the label to go in a direction they would otherwise not have adopted?

Are there examples of other prog bands who have been made by their label to do things they would have preferred not to do?

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:02
Ah, I initially thought this was a non-event for us in the U.S., until i read this on PT's site:

"Porcupine Tree's next album will be issued by Atlantic Records in North America, and WHD in Japan."

I think PT's output will remain as high-quality as previous releases. Or, it won't be released at all.

Keep an eye out if the release date keeps moving forward, and we start hearing rumours about Steven changing his name to an unpronouncable symbol... Wink

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:03
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Are there examples of other prog bands who have been made by their label to do things they would have preferred not to do?

Absolutely. The first example that leapt to my mind was Dream Theater's Falling into Infinity.

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:05
It's interesting that no one has yet mentioned that Roadrunner is the label set up and run by Derek Schulman of Gentle Giant. That should carry some weight with fans if only they knew.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:06
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

Looking forward to the new album next year and seeing them next month in London.....so i won't be writing them off whatever label they sign with. Business is business!!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B00007J36G/ref=dp_image_text_0/202-2436305-9167049?ie=UTF8">In Absentia

well said Fred

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:31
Originally posted by composer composer wrote:

It's interesting that no one has yet mentioned that Roadrunner is the label set up and run by Derek Schulman of Gentle Giant. That should carry some weight with fans if only they knew.

Is the respectable Derek Schulman responsible for signing Nickelback, Slipknot, DevilDriver, Murderdolls, Soulfly, Stone Sour, Trivium, and dozens of other bands that make me sad? Ouch

-------------

Commissions considered.

Posted By: Kleynan
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:45
RR didn't really affect Opeth on Ghost Reveries... So I doubt it will be any different with PT. Maybe it's going to be a little heavier though.

-------------

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy, and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks.

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:55
Ghost Reveries was complete before Opeth signed over  Ouch

-------------

Commissions considered.

Posted By: slowfire85
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 17:55
You need those sh*t bands on a label, they bring the money home(Slipknot is a money-making juggernaut no matter how badly you may dislike them). Having those money making bands allows a label to take financial risks and sign bands like Opeth and PT that don't have a commercial sound and background. They are obviously making efforts to bring in some talented bands and become competitive with other labels who are starting to take chances on extreme/non-commercial metal/rock bands. I thought Jerry Cantrell's last album was a good output for them.

-------------
What is prog rock ?

It is music that does progress. Progressive music takes a riff, turns it inside out, plays it upside down and the other way around, and explores its potential.

K.Emerson

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 18:08
Opeth have recieved some success since their last album. So will PT hopefully.

-------------

You've just had a heavy session of electroshock therapy, and you're more relaxed than you've been in weeks.

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 18:18
Yes, I realize I'm nitpicking.

Certain changes -have- been made to Opeth.  They were going to do a full tour with the Devin Townsend Band, but on several dates, Roadrunner made them take DevilDriver along instead. Cry

-------------

Commissions considered.

Posted By: Forgotten Son
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 18:19
Originally posted by Empathy Empathy wrote:

Absolutely. The first example that leapt to my mind was Dream Theater's Falling into Infinity.

And Marillion's Holidays in Eden (though I like it very much).

PErsonally I'm not too worried, I don't ever see Steve Wilson bowing to record company pressure.

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 18:26
Since PT was pretty mainstream-like prior to signing with RR, maybe I should tremble in fear Confused

-------------

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 18:30
Well I do hope they continue to release good albums.  I quite enjoyed Deadwing.

As MO said, Opeth's album was recorded before joining RR and I happen to really enjoy it, but then RR didn't really make much difference to that album.

Could it be that Opeth cannot work with Steven Wilson (as they've done in the past), unless they're on the same label?  Just a thought.

Oh and Fish (of Marillion fame), sold his label Dick Bros Company to RR, so they can't be all that bad, surely?  True they have such artists as Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium on their books, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will ruin Opeth and Porcupine Tree.

-------------

Posted By: The Wizard
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 18:32
I'm pretty confident Porcupine Tree will stick to there guns as they always have.

-------------

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 19:09
I see it as a good move for PT. If moving to RR does make them more "commercial" then it could only benefit PT's exposure to a wider audience. In my country, PT is not well known in any shape or form. I think that it is a pity, as PT certainly deserve to be more recognised for their brilliant work. I agree with previous comments that the move won't change PT's music direction - Steven Wilson appears to be a strong influence and I don't think he would go to RR unless he thought that there was going to be a good total package for the band.

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: AtLossForWords
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 19:44
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Could it be that Opeth cannot work with Steven Wilson (as they've done in the past), unless they're on the same label?  Just a thought.

Opeth was on Koch (Music for Nations) and Porcupine Tree was on Lava when Wilson was working with Opeth.  I don't believe those are the same label.

-------------

"Mastodon sucks giant monkey balls."

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 19:49
Originally posted by AtLossForWords AtLossForWords wrote:

Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

Opeth was on Koch (Music for Nations) and Porcupine Tree was on Lava when Wilson was working with Opeth.  I don't believe those are the same label.

that sounds like a safe assumption....

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:05
Guys, I appreciate the concern, but I would say this:

1.  I can't really think of one mainstream label that does not have at least a 95% suckage rating with their roster.  We've been on Atlantic / Warners for the last 5 years (still are for the US) and quite honestly there's not much on that label that I would listen to. Historically of course they've had amazing artists, Zeppelin, Yes, CSN, Coltrane, but right now....well Rush, and Bjork is about it.  Roadrunner have Opeth, one of the best bands on the planet right now, that should be enough.  But some of the other bands have also done some interesting stuff (Dresden Dolls, Fear Factory..etc)

2.  We are waaaaaaaaay too cynical, opinionated and old (!) to ever let a label have any influence on anything we do musically.  Not only that - we are all music lovers - seems like an obvious thing to say, but you'd be surprised how many pro musicians don't actually like or listen to music anymore.  It's when making music becomes just a loveless job that record companies can start to have an influence over the artist.

Important thing is that Roadrunner have got the resources, and seem to love the band, so we keep on doing our thing and they'll give it their best shot I guess.  The next album has been written for some time, and it's probably a harder sell for them than the last few would have been (longest track 17 minutes, average track time 7 minutes).

Anyway, hope you will give us your support on this.

SW (alleged arrogant asshole)

Posted By: Syntharachnid
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:28
^17 minutes?  I'm buying it. Big smile

-------------

Posted By: alias10mr
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:31
    The quality of a band's output or creation is generally not governed by record companies. Remember all, the artist creates and in this case, a group or solo act will compose and create their work which is then given to the record company. Sometimes the company then chooses what goes on the CD and occasionally the artist(s) also have their say...
     PT will hopefully continue to create and if the listener enjoys the direction the band will take then all the better! But for those who won't like the material, there 'll always be new fans who will. I will purchase the new CD when it comes out regardless of what label the band has signed with since I have comfidence that PT will continue to create quality material.     
                                                         All the best,
                                                                            Michel R.

Posted By: xtopher
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:32
Hey, cool. I'm looking forward to it. When is it due to come out?

(Who would've thunk Steven Wilson would lower himself to the forums on ProgArchives?!LOL ...If you're really Steve, welcome!)

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:36
Originally posted by xtopher xtopher wrote:

Hey, cool. I'm looking forward to it. When is it due to come out?

(Who would've thunk Steven Wilson would lower himself to the forums on ProgArchives?!LOL ...If you're really Steve, welcome!)

don't laughWink... I talked with Carl Palmer (seriously) on another site...

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:36
That's good news.  Guess I'm still in!

-------------

Commissions considered.

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 21:53
Yup it's me.  This is a cool site!  Found it yesterday while I was searching for some info on jethro tull thick as a brick (which I can't stop listening to recently - what an unbelievably good record huh?)  Although it was later sobering to discover that I am apparantly perceived as a loudmouthed arrogant asshole here (some guy I probably never met said in another thread just now that he "hates Wilson's personality" - nice!)  It's based on some interview I did here last year, I dunno?  Must have done about 6,000 interviews for the last album, so it's unfortuante if people here have based their whole idea of me on one rather grumpy interview - maybe my dog died that day.

Anyway, we are playing about 45 mins of the new record (including the 17 minute beast) on the forthcoming tour.  The tour was supposed to be to promote our live DVD, but we wanted to play some new music, so there ya go....hope you dig it.

S

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 22:10
People very often will pass judgement too quickly... Not everyone on this site is like that. Hope to see you in Montreal on your next tour. Have you been to Montreal before?
                                         Michel R.   

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 22:12
Originally posted by swilson swilson wrote:

Yup it's me.  This is a cool site!  Found it yesterday while I was searching for some info on jethro tull thick as a brick (which I can't stop listening to recently - what an unbelievably good record huh?)  Although it was later sobering to discover that I am apparantly perceived as a loudmouthed arrogant asshole here (some guy I probably never met said in another thread just now that he "hates Wilson's personality" - nice!)  It's based on some interview I did here last year, I dunno?  Must have done about 6,000 interviews for the last album, so it's unfortuante if people here have based their whole idea of me on one rather grumpy interview - maybe my dog died that day.

Anyway, we are playing about 45 mins of the new record (including the 17 minute beast) on the forthcoming tour.  The tour was supposed to be to promote our live DVD, but we wanted to play some new music, so there ya go....hope you dig it.

S

hahahah there are a few loudmouth arrogant assholes around here.. so if you are... you'll fit in just fine LOL It's a prog thing I'm sure.   A big fan btw... love your stuff...

-------------

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 22:22
Originally posted by alias10mr alias10mr wrote:

Hope to see you in Montreal on your next tour. Have you been to Montreal before?
                                         Michel R.   

Hi Michel

Alas, not making it to Canada this time around, but next spring for sure.  Love the city - we played there at least 4 times between 2002-05 - and referring to our website I can tell you that the venues were Club Soda, La Tulipe, Medley, and Le Cabaret.  Guess you missed us at all those huh?

S

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 22:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

S

hahahah there are a few loudmouth arrogant assholes around here.. so if you are... you'll fit in just fine LOL It's a prog thing I'm sure.   A big fan btw... love your stuff...
Michael!!  dont talk to Mr. Wilson like this, he could leave the site because people like you AngryLOL

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: VanderGraafKommandöh
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 22:37
Thanks for posting here, Steve and confirming a few things for us, very much appreciated.

Any future work with Mikael Akerfeldt and/or Opeth in the pipeline?

-------------

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 22:38

(some guy I probably never met said in another thread just now that he "hates Wilson's personality" - nice!)  I

That was probably Flower Kings fanboy Tlossy because you said something about Roine StoltLOL

Welcome... nice to see Mr. Wilson himself here with us... I love your music tooThumbs Up

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 22:41
That's why you keep to yourself regarding the bands you hate. Wink

Looking forward to it, SW. Thumbs Up

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 22:42
Hi Steve - its great to see you on the forum. I am a devoted fan of PT and I am looking forward to your next album. Maybe one day you will make it down to Australasia. Cheers. Big smile

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Date Posted: August 08 2006 at 22:46
Originally posted by memowakeman memowakeman wrote:

S

Michael!!  dont talk to Mr. Wilson like this, he could leave the site because people like you AngryLOL

yeah that's true... better lock me in the closet for the rest of the evening LOLWink  I suspect that Mr. Wilson didn't come here to be fawned over.... that's what we have sycocphants and toadies for.  Just breaking the ice, though I must admit I was secretly hoping for a laugh.. you know me... the frustrated comedian...and  since I'm not the groupie type... at least I could say that I made Steven Wilson laugh LOL  Oh well.... grab the padlock and lock the door beind me... I'm off to the land of golden slumbers.. with by the way...  Voyage 34 now playing on the CD player.  You nailed that one Mr. Wilson LOL

-------------

Posted By: 70sSoundquality
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 00:08

Although it was later sobering to discover that I am apparantly perceived as a loudmouthed arrogant asshole here (some guy I probably never met said in another thread just now that he "hates Wilson's personality" - nice!)  It's based on some interview I did here last year, I dunno?  Must have done about 6,000 interviews for the last album, so it's unfortuante if people here have based their whole idea of me on one rather grumpy interview - maybe my dog died that day.

I dont think it's so much "arrogant" as it is overly proud. Even SRV had a hard time praising himself. My problem with Steve Wilson in the Prog Archives interview (particularly) is that he seems to act like what the band Porcupine Tree is doing is something so special, or unique. I've seen them live a handful of times, and I must say each time I have been to their shows, I have wondered why I'm not moved. I have also given a great deal of time listening to the records, and the same forces are at work.

...For many years PT have striven to be Porcupine Tree, unlike anyone else...

...I can't really answer this question as PT has always tried to avoid any generic classification - we make "porcupine tree" music, I guess.  These days I'm not really sure I know what "progressive" means, or if it matters, except that most of the music I hear referred to as "prog-rock" seems the opposite to me - formulaic, regressive, and very poorly executed...

Which is quite funny, because while Porcupine Tree isn't regressive, they seem to fit into the "poorly executed" category for me. There seems to be a great deal of thoughtfulness and creativity missing in the writing of PT. Really, I've listened to PT over and over again. It just isn't overflowing with talent like I need it to 

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 01:16

Hey! Who do you think you are? Only we of the Symphonic Prog Team have the right to badmouth each other... Wink This means that, until Ivan comes back, I'm the only one who can threaten Micky with expulsion from the team or anything like that...LOL

BTW, before we start badmouthing famous personalities, we should always remember that Big Brother is watching us... I wonder whether any DT members have ever popped in here and seen what some of us are up to as regards their band!LOL

Posted By: Ricochet
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 01:32
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Hey! Who do you think you are? Only we of the Symphonic Prog Team have the right to badmouth each other... Wink This means that, until Ivan comes back, I'm the only one who can threaten Micky with expulsion from the team or anything like that...LOL

BTW, before we start badmouthing famous personalities, we should always remember that Big Brother is watching us... I wonder whether any DT members have ever popped in here and seen what some of us are up to as regards their band!LOL

That would be a fine moment for us...LOL

-------------

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 03:45
Great to see you visiting the site Steve, a very warm welcome to you, and thanks for keeping the prog flag flying high!Clap

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 04:45

S

I don't think that that's the case at all ... but I recall a thread from a couple of months ago which was about things Roine Stolt said about your music and the things you said in return (or was it the other way round?). I guess it's just fans defending their favorite artists ... I guess all's fair in love, war and music.Wink

Anyways - welcome! Big smile

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Posted By: Yukorin
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 05:57

Welcome to progarchives Steven !

-------------

Posted By: Australian
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 06:19

S

Hi steve

I just have to say

1. You have fans in AustraliaLOL
2. The guy who called you a "loudmouthed arrogant asshole" is probably

Compensating for something.Wink

3. Thick As A Brick is an amazing AlbumClap

Time to listen to some PT, The Sky Moves Sideways. I think I speak for everyone when I say, thank you.TongueHug

-------------

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 06:34

Hello Steve Wilson, thanks for the October 1995 concert in Den Bosch Holland, great guitar, keyboards and psychedelic visuals, a magical gig Clap !

And thanks for joining this thread, a great boost to our site Thumbs Up, we all here wish you good luck with Porcupine Tree and are looking forward to the 2-DVD set ...

Posted By: Stars Die
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 06:59

Hello steven wilson, great gig at Sweden Rock! Clap

Anyway, back to the topic... I just think that roadrunner might be trying to expand to other areas of music, I don't think they want to change any bands at all.

-------------
Du Skojar om att jag Skojar men jag skojar inte alls

Posted By: Paulieg
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 07:11
Welcome Mr. Wilson and a big "Thank You" for the wonderful music you've graced us with.  Clap

Posted By: Bob Greece
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 07:36
Wow, I can't believe Steve Wilson is posting here!

Please come regularly to the site and join in our discussions when you have time. We're a friendly bunch - most of the time!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/BobGreece/?chartstyle=basicrt10">

Posted By: Dragon Phoenix
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 07:40
Originally posted by Paulieg Paulieg wrote:

Welcome Mr. Wilson and a big "Thank You" for the wonderful music you've graced us with.  Clap

Thumbs Up
Clap

-------------
Blog this:
http://artrock2006.blogspot.com

Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 10:35
Welcome Mr. Wilson! I just want to say, Signify is one of the best records ever made. Clap Hope you won't be affected by the Stolt lovers. Hehe.

-------------

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 10:52

I quite like FII. And DT still held together a great progressive album regardless of label pushes. As a matter of fact, I'll pop FII into the ole CD player now.

Posted By: Mikerinos
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 10:58
Originally posted by Australian Australian wrote:

S

Hi steve

I just have to say

2. The guy who called you a "loudmouthed arrogant asshole" is probably

Compensating for something.Wink

That guy who called him a "loudmouthed arrogant asshole" (although that guy never said that exactly) probably just had a sh*tty day at work. Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 11:03

Yup it's me.  This is a cool site!  Found it yesterday while I was searching for some info on jethro tull thick as a brick (which I can't stop listening to recently - what an unbelievably good record huh?)  Although it was later sobering to discover that I am apparantly perceived as a loudmouthed arrogant asshole here (some guy I probably never met said in another thread just now that he "hates Wilson's personality" - nice!)  It's based on some interview I did here last year, I dunno?  Must have done about 6,000 interviews for the last album, so it's unfortuante if people here have based their whole idea of me on one rather grumpy interview - maybe my dog died that day.Anyway, we are playing about 45 mins of the new record (including the 17 minute beast) on the forthcoming tour.  The tour was supposed to be to promote our live DVD, but we wanted to play some new music, so there ya go....hope you dig it.S

Again, if this is really you, SWEET! Thanks for the great music. I loved Deadwing.

Perhaps you might add a short review for "Thick As A Brick"?    (Don't yell at me for asking guys! Nothing ventured, nothing gained ya know.)

Posted By: Trickster F.
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 11:23

S

Hi Steven, nice to see you here.

Forget about any remaks being made about personality from people on the internet. I am sure that people who have any credibility on that subject do not post on internet message boards. Don't let it bother you.

There could be a reason that you may be aware of though. I understand that you have made numerous interviews when the last album came out, and that you had to repeat things over and over and wouldn't remember what could offend the fans. I have read the one inty we have on our site/forums(see the Interviews section), and there people were quite disappointed with your views on progressive rock not as a genre of music but as a progressing force in rock music, although I can't see what can cause offense here. One thing I know for sure is that many PT fans are also fans of Flower Kings and Dream Theater - bands you did not cherish in the interview - which could be the reason of a little misunderstanding of some sort.

Welcome to the site and may you be forever inspired! Clap

-- Ivan

-------------
sig

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 11:31
That's not fair, Swilson shouldn't be able to review his own albums.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 11:35
Originally posted by Deadwing12 Deadwing12 wrote:

Nicely said Clap!

Posted By: Zweck
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 13:24

Yup it's me.  This is a cool site!  Found it yesterday while I was searching for some info on jethro tull thick as a brick (which I can't stop listening to recently - what an unbelievably good record huh?)  Although it was later sobering to discover that I am apparantly perceived as a loudmouthed arrogant asshole here (some guy I probably never met said in another thread just now that he "hates Wilson's personality" - nice!)  It's based on some interview I did here last year, I dunno?  Must have done about 6,000 interviews for the last album, so it's unfortuante if people here have based their whole idea of me on one rather grumpy interview - maybe my dog died that day.Anyway, we are playing about 45 mins of the new record (including the 17 minute beast) on the forthcoming tour.  The tour was supposed to be to promote our live DVD, but we wanted to play some new music, so there ya go....hope you dig it.S

I assume hoping for you to stop by in Norway in the near future would be getting my hopes up, no?

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 13:37
STEVEN WILSON...here!

WhoooHoooo!!!!

Posted By: Cygnus X-2
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 13:39
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

STEVEN WILSON...here!

WhoooHoooo!!!!

Do I detect a bit of a fanboy in ye, Mr. Riviere?Wink

-------------

Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 13:40
Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

STEVEN WILSON...here!

WhoooHoooo!!!!

Do I detect a bit of a fanboy in ye, Mr. Riviere?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Cygnus X-2
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 13:42

Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

STEVEN WILSON...here!

WhoooHoooo!!!!

Do I detect a bit of a fanboy in ye, Mr. Riviere?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be careful with your emotions, you wouldn't want to scare away Mr. Wilson, now would you?Wink

Personally, I'd actually like to ask him a question about the guitar effects on the album The Sky Moves Sideways, but it's not the end of the world if I don't know.Wink

-------------

Posted By: Dan Bobrowski
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 13:54

It's great to have artists posting. It's rare to get that opportunity to connect. Guy Manning from Parallel or 90 Degrees, solo and the Tangent has posted before. Hopefully they have thick enough skin to take some of the negative responses and not get scared away. Tact is a good tool.

Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 13:57
Originally posted by Dan Bobrowski Dan Bobrowski wrote:

It's great to have artists posting. It's rare to get that opportunity to connect. Guy Manning from Parallel or 90 Degrees, solo and the Tangent has posted before. Hopefully they have thick enough skin to take some of the negative responses and not get scared away. Tact is a good tool.

HEY! I'm an artist.

Posted By: N Ellingworth
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 14:11
Good to see you posting here Steven, all I can really say is keep up the good work. Thumbs Up

Posted By: OpethGuitarist
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 14:16
Ahh, Mr. Wilson, what a pleasant suprise, maybe I will stick around this site for a while.

Are you still doing a project with Akerfeldt and Portnoy, and if so, what is the kind of sound you guys are trying to achieve?

Best of luck from OpethG. Hope to see you on tour soon.

-------------
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums

Posted By: Schizoid Man
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 15:37
Hello Steven!

Thanks for all the great music. Personal fave is "The Sound of Muzak".

Stay well.

-------------
Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 15:50
]Hi MichelAlas, not making it to Canada this time around, but next spring for sure.  Love the city - we played there at least 4 times between 2002-05 - and referring to our website I can tell you that the venues were Club Soda, La Tulipe, Medley, and Le Cabaret.  Guess you missed us at all those huh?S[/QUOTE]

Hi Steven,
                 you'll have to forgive me but I was testing to see if your presence on this site was the real deal... No I wasn't at the concerts BUT it is true that PT was at those venues notably Club Soda in November 2005 so this is the real deal! Good luck to you and hopefully you'll participate in these forums once in a while.
                                                                  Michel

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 16:28
Although it's good for the forums to have the actual musicians we know and love posting here, we must remember to keep to the topic. A welcome is always nice though. Welcome Mr. Wilson!

So, going back on-topic, my view on the subject. SW said earlier that PT won't change their sound because of the move to Roadrunner, I guess we have to trust him. I'm sure it will be good. It will also be interesting to see what Opeth comes up with next after moving.

Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 16:52
Damn....The man himself posted in this thread....AMAZING!!!!!

Welcome to Prog Archives Steven!!!!!!

How about some info on the proposed Wilson/Akerfeldt/Portnoy project??

-------------

Posted By: MikeEnRegalia
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 17:30
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

I doubt that will really effect their output. They seemed to be going to a more metal/mainstream direction by themselves.

metal? yes, in certain parts of songs the riffs are heavier than on pre-Absentia albums. Mainstream? I don't really see that. Even Lazarus is far from mainstream (I verified that statement by playing the track to mainstream listeners). It has a very conventional form (verse/chorus/bridge), true. But the song doesn't call for complex structure, and adding complexity for the sake of being prog would destroy the beauty.

-------------
https://awesomeprog.com/users/Mike" rel="nofollow">Recently listened to:

Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 17:50
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Well myself and Mikael have been talking about doing it since the say we first met back in 2000.  The problem has always been time.  Since that time both bands have become more successful and the pressure to stay on the road and keep producing records has been high (not to mention I already have way too many extra-curricular activities already). I'm sure we'll get to it some day, but there will be at least one more PT studio record, and one more Opeth studio record before we do.  In the meantime there's actually a demo of one of the songs written for the project on my myspace site if you would like to get a flavor of how it might sound.

www.myspace.com/therealstevenwilson

S

Posted By: rushaholic
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 18:17

S

I can hardly wait - got tickets to the D.C. show.  It will be my first PT concert.  Very excited!

Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 18:21

(not to mention I already have way too many extra-curricular activities already).

One could say that! (Not to imply that we don't gobble them up!)

Frankly, I'm still pleasantly surprised that you can find the time to chat with we MusicMetaGeeks. LOL

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 18:26
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

I quite like FII. And DT still held together a great progressive album regardless of label pushes. As a matter of fact, I'll pop FII into the ole CD player now.

Oh, I like the majority of it as well. But I've read reports that there were pressures from the label to go a more "AOR" direction ("You Not Me", "Anna Lee") etc.

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: ResidentAlien
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 21:31
Woah!  Great to see ya here, Mr. Wilson!  Just bought tickets for the Pennsylvania show in October, can't wait!  I'm totally thrilled to hear the new tracks.  :D

Posted By: Arrrghus
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 21:35

That's how The Wizard found the site! And he got me on to the site! In a weird way, we're connected!

By the way, I thoroughly enjoyed Deadwing! Come join us in the Velvet Room (even though you're a n00b ).

-------------

Posted By: Bt-Tor
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 22:09
Hi swilson, Welcome to the site.  It is interesting that people of celebrity are oftentimes considered fair game for personal insults, since there is such a distance between celebrities and 'everyone else'. I'm sure that anyone who insults a musician on this site doesn't ever consider the fact that they might someday run into the person behind the musician, as we have seen on this site! But it's nice to see that you have managed to defend yourself in such a diplomatic way!Thumbs Up

Love your music by the way, In Absentia remains an absolute classic in my collection, there are moments on that album that are simply sublime, a quality rarely achieved... moments from Gravity Eyelids are hauntingly beautiful.

Looking forward to the DVD and the next album.

Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: August 09 2006 at 22:12

Well MO,I happen to really like the direction PT have taken with their recent releases like In Absentia and Deadwing.

me 2!!

Label change? meh- they will still be awesome as alwaysSmile

-------------

Posted By: Nipsey88
Date Posted: August 10 2006 at 02:34
PT is the most amazing band of all time.

Any label change will just own

In Absentia is one of my top 5 albums of all time.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Nipsey88/?chartstyle=myspace02" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: LMN8R
Date Posted: August 10 2006 at 09:39
SW - if it really is you, thanks for some of the best music I've heard.  Currently listening to the Stupid Dream reissue I just got in the mail from Amazon yesterday Big smile

As for the upcoming tour - 45 minutes of new music you say?  Can't wait!  I have a question if you could possibly answer it:

I've always loved Trains, but until I saw it live I never appreciated just how awesome it could be.  In all the concerts I've been to, Trains as the closing encore was one of the best things I've ever seen/heard.  Any chance we'll get Trains on this short US tour?

I also have another comment: Songs like Halo really show just how amazing of a singer you are.  They're so much better live than on CD because...there aren't any filters applied!  The filter over your voice in Halo just ruins it on the studio version IMO.  You gotta let your voice shine as you sing out on the new album!  LOL

Thanks for all your music so far, and here's hoping for the best in years to come!

Posted By: Kithulhu
Date Posted: August 10 2006 at 12:20
I strongly doubt that Porcupine Tree would let a record label have any influence at all when it comes to how the music should sound. To me it seems like Porcupine Tree always have done their own thing, no matter what people say and I don't think that they'd give up on that.

Edit: Ah, I just read the whole thread(Yes, I KNOW that it's stupid to post before reading it all. Wink ) and saw that Steven Wilson himself has actually posted an answer. Amazing.
So, Steven: I'm happy to hear that you won't let RR decide anything about the music. Oh, and thanks for all the great stuff you have created through the years.

Posted By: threefates
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 11:22
From what I understand, Steve Wilson was having a hard time finding a label he could work with that would let him do basically exactly what he wants to do.  So in working with Roadrunner on the Opeth production... he got them to agree with his terms and he likes working with them.

Why should that change anything?  I just see it as perhaps a better distribution method.  And if PT works as usual... they'll have another record company in a year or so....

I have tickets to see them in NYC and Philly.... can't wait!!

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: BenMech
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 13:19
Welcome 'round here Steve from a fellow new poster.

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 16:45
Funny, I had heard they would sign with Inside out recordsShocked

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 16:51

Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

From what I understand, Steve Wilson was having a hard time finding a label he could work with that would let him do basically exactly what he wants to do.  So in working with Roadrunner on the Opeth production... he got them to agree with his terms and he likes working with them.

Why should that change anything?  I just see it as perhaps a better distribution method.  And if PT works as usual... they'll have another record company in a year or so....

I have tickets to see them in NYC and Philly.... can't wait!!

couldn't agree more.... and would love to see the distribution problem resolved... granted I live in the armpit of the prog universe ..but it is damn near impossible to find any PT on the sheelves outside of Deadwing...

-------------

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 19:23
Another greetings to Steven Wilson. Welcome aboard and enjoy the flight Thumbs Up

Thanks for the music and keep up the good work!

-------------

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: August 11 2006 at 19:56
Please! I'm sure we've scared him away with all welcomes. This topic is not for welcoming Steven Wilson and tell him how much we love his music. It is for speculating wheter or not PT's move to RoadRunner will change their sound. Please, if you want to praise Steven Wilson, start a Steven Wilson appreciation thread!

Now, let's get back on-topic, shall we? Wink

Posted By: Sacred 22
Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 00:06
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Please! I'm sure we've scared him away with all welcomes. This topic is not for welcoming Steven Wilson and tell him how much we love his music. It is for speculating wheter or not PT's move to RoadRunner will change their sound. Please, if you want to praise Steven Wilson, start a Steven Wilson appreciation thread!

Exactly!!.............my apple loving friend. LOL

Posted By: Dr4Wazo
Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 00:24
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dead

-------------

"Mëem Otsilennhetëe Dros Sun Surra Steuhn Do Nansei"

Posted By: Tristan Mulders
Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 10:29

Well myself and Mikael have been talking about doing it since the say we first met back in 2000.  The problem has always been time.  Since that time both bands have become more successful and the pressure to stay on the road and keep producing records has been high (not to mention I already have way too many extra-curricular activities already). I'm sure we'll get to it some day, but there will be at least one more PT studio record, and one more Opeth studio record before we do.  In the meantime there's actually a demo of one of the songs written for the project on my myspace site if you would like to get a flavor of how it might sound.

www.myspace.com/therealstevenwilson

S

Cheers Steve,

first a warm welcome to ProgArchives. I will spare you the fan stuff, but I can say I love the way you compose music. Especially with the guitar it often sounds as if it is sort of freeform, improvised like and that's really great I think.

The song you mention wouldn't be Cut Ribbon by any chance? I'm hoping to hear a definite version of the song sometime in the future, love that small segment near the beginning where the pace changes.. cheer brilliance Clap. I've heard this demo called Imogen Slaughter once which I thought would be a typical song for Mikael to play Wink (don't even know if it's really a demo by you or PT though, heard it only once or twice at a friend's place but loved it)

And regarding the insults on this forum.. don't pay too much attention to them, quite a few members are opposed to the idea of heavier prog, not to mention prog metal and as a member of the prog metal team here I've read quite a few negative comments about metal that's progressive (e.g. Anathema's music or your own). I never pay too much attention to them, unless it would be an attack towards my personality, but that has luckily never occured to me. Smile

Oh and yesterday I (finally *sigh*) bought a ticket for PT's Paradiso gig in September.. took me a while to collect the money but I'm sure it will all be worth it (especially after the brilliant gig in December Thumbs Up)

Cheers and maybe see you around,

- Tristan

p.s. I feel the same way about most output of The Flower Kings LOL

-------------
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=784 - HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."

Posted By: Tristan Mulders
Date Posted: August 12 2006 at 10:34
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Can't we just wait and see??? We all know that labels can have a negative influence on bands, for instance EMI pushing Marillion to create a poppy album (Holidays in Eden) but I don't see how this necessarily has to be a bad thing..? Porcupine Tree have a variety of 'poppier' songs included in their backcatalogue and here in Holland they seem to be selling relatively good as far as I could see. I've seen "Deadwing" lying in the 'Biggest seller' display in one of the most popular record stores here in Holland around the release time, so don't be too worried. Wink

-------------
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them http://www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=784 - HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk