Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28856
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 11:02
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: leb I sol and Brand x
Posted By: proger
Subject: leb I sol and Brand x
Date Posted: September 21 2006 at 08:42
    this 2 bands are very similar to each other, I mean their sound is almost the same, their style...

when I heard at first leb i sol, I was sure that the guitarist and keyboards are John Goodsall and Robin Lumley...
I allways had this moments in leb I sol when I think: "ohh it such a brand x"...

-------------
...live for tomorrow...

Replies:
Posted By: lucas
Date Posted: September 21 2006 at 08:56
I don't know about leb i sol, but brand X is a very good band, at least their Collins-era.

-------------
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)

Posted By: S Lang
Date Posted: September 21 2006 at 14:53
I certainly agree that their first album was very close to Brand X in style.
The first two albums are available on 1CD and jazz-rock fans will find them very exciting, indeed. 
It's unfortunate that due to changes in the line-up, the approach has changed drastically on later releases, spoiling the expectaions and relegating the band to below average. 

Date Posted: September 21 2006 at 16:01
Originally posted by S Lang S Lang wrote:

I certainly agree that their first album was very close to Brand X in style.
The first two albums are available on 1CD and jazz-rock fans will find them very exciting, indeed. 

It's unfortunate that due to changes in the line-up, the approach has changed drastically on later releases, spoiling the expectaions and relegating the band to below average. 

of course, I am talking about "leb i sol" and leb i sol 2". the first one is the most remainder of BX.

-------------
...live for tomorrow...

Posted By: Zac M
Date Posted: September 21 2006 at 16:05
From the samples I've heard or Leb I Sol, there is some resemblance between the two bands. I need to get a copy of an album or two sometime soon, but they're pretty hard to find.

-------------
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty

Posted By: DarioIndjic
Date Posted: September 22 2006 at 00:14
I never heard Brand x,but leb i sol is an amazing jazz-ethno-rock band,they deserve much more atention ,one of the best Yugoslavian prog bands.I think you can find a copy on   http://www.kalemegdan-disk.de - www.kalemegdan-disk.de .

-------------
Ars longa , vita brevis

Posted By: Mlaen
Date Posted: September 22 2006 at 08:55
Yugoslavia doesn't exist any more. Mods (or whoever) should consider changing Yugoslavia (in the country column) to Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Slovenia or Montenegro, depending where the band originally comes from. Also, England, Scotland and Wales don't exist as nations so they should be changed into United Kingdom or at least into Great Britain.

Peace. 

I know this is off topic and i apologize for that.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: September 22 2006 at 14:31
I can't help it, but "leb i sol" always reminds me of "Lebensohl", a very important bidding convention in the cardgame Bridge, of which Friede and I are very advanced players (on the brink of becoming experts)

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Frasse
Date Posted: September 22 2006 at 16:47
I got an illegal copy of the Leb I Sol Anthology somewhere, but I haven't listened to it in ages.
I also have Masques by Brand X on vinyl, it's their first post-Collins era album I believe.
Anyway, I haven't listened to that in ages either. So I really haven't got anything useful to say, I just want to brag about my record collection and increase my not-so-impressive post count. PigWink

Date Posted: September 22 2006 at 16:52
Originally posted by DarioIndjic DarioIndjic wrote:

I never heard Brand x,but leb i sol is an amazing jazz-ethno-rock band,they deserve much more atention ,one of the best Yugoslavian prog bands.I think you can find a copy on   http://www.kalemegdan-disk.de - www.kalemegdan-disk.de .

U better get some Brand-x if love the early leb I sol.
they really are great.

שנה טובה לכולם!

-------------
...live for tomorrow...

Posted By: Zac M
Date Posted: September 22 2006 at 21:00

thanks, I bookmarked the link! Seems the prices are fair, too

-------------
"Art is not imitation, nor is it something manufactured according to the wishes of instinct or good taste. It is a process of expression."

-Merleau-Ponty

Posted By: S Lang
Date Posted: September 25 2006 at 15:40
Originally posted by Zac M Zac M wrote:

From the samples I've heard or Leb I Sol, there is some resemblance between the two bands. I need to get a copy of an album or two sometime soon, but they're pretty hard to find.

The double CD of the first two is generally available by mail order from well known Prog establishments - that I believe one is not supposed to mention here.
Send me a PM if you like and I'll have some suggestions.

Of course Proger, there is no question about that the first two releases are the ones for attention. 
A warning. If one decides to invest in more recent releases, deep disappointment may occur. 

I might add that Brand X is not immune to that either by releasing some shallow, filler material in their dying moments. Less would have been more and they are one of my faves, so I don't say it lightly. 

Posted By: Seyo
Date Posted: November 14 2006 at 16:48

The same goes here, never heard Brand X, but LEB I SOL definitely learned from many international giants (McLaughlin, Holdsworth...)
I would recommend first 3 albums as excellent ethno-jazz-rock, "Infinity" and "Kalabalak" are also good.    

Date Posted: November 14 2006 at 16:58
Originally posted by Mlaen Mlaen wrote:

Yugoslavia doesn't exist any more. Mods (or whoever) should consider
changing Yugoslavia (in the country column) to Serbia, Croatia, Bosnia
and Herzegovina, Macedonia, Slovenia or Montenegro, depending where the
band originally comes from. Also, England, Scotland and Wales don't
exist as nations so they should be changed into United Kingdom or at
least into Great Britain.

Peace. 

I know this is off topic and i apologize for that.

OK, I understand some folks are bothered with the name "yugoslavia" still being used. I personally don't care and I still think that old prog bands, including LEB i SOL, were at those days in a way Yugoslavian bands (although their home country is Macedonia), at least in their cultural orientation, without any unnecessary political debate.
Now that all the republics are independant I understand objections.
Frankly, I am a bit lazy (and a little "yugonostalgic") :) to rearrange the bands currently listed under "yugoslavia" into proper West Balkan countries but if more people want this, I don't mind making suggestion to Admins to make necessary corrections.
Regards to all ex-Yugos      

Date Posted: November 14 2006 at 17:00
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I can't help it, but "leb i sol" always reminds me of "Lebensohl", a
very important bidding convention in the cardgame Bridge, of which
Friede and I are very advanced players (on the brink of becoming
experts)

Leb i sol actually means "bread and salt", a traditional custom in parts of Balkans when receiving guests in one's home, if I am correct...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk