Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3135
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 19:06
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Alan White vs. Bill Bruford
Posted By: Wizard/TRueStar
Subject: Alan White vs. Bill Bruford
Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 18:53

Sweetnighter got me thinking in his GOD (isn't that a neat abreviation for Gates) vs CTTE poll about Yes's line up.  I don't think Yes have ever retained the same line up for more than 2 albums at a time (correct me if I'm wrong) but at leastthey have always had either of 2 drummers.  These two wonderfully talented individuals are Bill Bruford and Alan White (like I need to tell anyone on the progarchives that!). 

I like both however I much prefer Alan White because I always thought he had more of a "musical" approach to his playing.  I supprised to learn that he is a piano player when I was watching my "YesYears" dvd because suddenly his "musicality" started to make sense.  Bruford is an incredible Jazz drummer(except for "Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe" or "Union", he's playing ASIA beats!!!) but I think he is missing something that White has.

Replies:
Posted By: nacho
Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 19:02

Before anybody else votes, do you want to bet on the result of this one?

I'm starting it: of course BB is THE drummer!

Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 19:04
Originally posted by nacho nacho wrote:

Before anybody else votes, do you want to bet on the result of this one?

I'm starting it: of course BB is THE drummer!

I with you.  I expect Bruford to win.

Posted By: Dan Bobrowski
Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 19:23

Bill Bruford is brilliant. You have to look beyond what he's done in YES and remember, that was early in his career. He grew and developed from that point forward. Allan White is great, but he's never gone beyond Relayer in the growth factor. It was his shining moment. A great moment it was.

Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 19:26
Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

It was his shining moment. A great moment it was.

My favorite thing to listen to Alan play.

Posted By: 70sSoundquality
Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 19:36

Bill Bruford is brilliant. You have to look beyond what he's done in YES and remember, that was early in his career. He grew and developed from that point forward. Allan White is great, but he's never gone beyond Relayer in the growth factor. It was his shining moment. A great moment it was.

no way, tormato was awesome. The taste in his drumming on that album is excellent. Alan White is way more stale, but I really enjoy him on bootlegs from the 1977 to 1979 era. Very odd, interesting drumming going on at that point. Relayer was obviously good for Alan, but we seem to dismiss pieces like Remembering which I find to be way more structured and discrete than CTTE or Delirium. The passages and synth runs are very obscure on that album, and for alans first, I find his drumming on Topographic to be his best. By the way alan white is not a very good piano player.

Bill bruford on the other hand is very technical and very awesome, but his musical sense seems to drift in the 70s. I think alan moved way up with Yes, and bill bruford just poked around and joined bands at random periods (genesis, national health).  His 1978 solo effort was okay but not arranged like how an Yes piece would go and not quite as interesting as id want it to be. Funny but dave stewart  did some writing on that album

I have a 1979 Yes t-shirt that bill signed for me at a drum clinic..
ME: bill i know you werent in the band in 1979 but will you sign my T-shirt?
BILL: (suprised look on his face) Oh, well sure. just promise not to listen to tormato  

Posted By: chorus of one
Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 20:20
Bruford of course. As well as Yes, he was in my favourite line-up of Kng Crimson, and I really enjoy some of his solo work too. No contest.

Posted By: Abbath
Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 21:20
Bruford is better, White is more compatible.

Posted By: threefates
Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 22:03

Ok.. I voted for Bruford also... but now I've been thinking about it.  As stated, Bill is a more technical, probably more versatile drummer.  However, I guess because I knew Alan quite well for awhile.. and I've watched him practice (which tells so much about a musician), I can say he seems to be more passionate in his playing and he's definitely more alive and animate when playing on stage... I've seen Bill live a few times.. and he's just not as moving...

That being said... I did vote for Bill... but I'm on the fence now...

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: notphilip
Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 22:04
I vote for Bill

Posted By: Matt0001
Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 23:29
I enjoy Bill Bruford's body of work more than Alan White's. But I prefer Alan White in Yes.

Posted By: starofsirius
Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 23:47
Eeeek this is hard....hmm I'll say Bill Bruford cause he is an amazing drummer although like many people have said Alan White is perfect in Yes.

-------------
"I'm in a freefall like a snowflake falling down down down down down."

Posted By: bobthesalesman
Date Posted: January 19 2005 at 23:48

2 completely different playing styles.  Bruford was a better drummer all around but Alan White is essential to Yes.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 02:54
I'm an Alan White fan.My favourite bit of drumming by anyone,anywhere any time is on Rick Wakemans 'Ann Of Cleeves'.The guy is awesome.Bruford is clever admittedly but his style of playing doesn't really excite me that much.

Posted By: Jethro Fish
Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 02:59

I don't want to choose! I don't want to chose! I don't want to chose!

I shocked myself by voting for Alan White but I really love them both. I think my vote was swayed by two things; Alan White is a rockier drummer and almost everyone else love's Bruford. There you have it.

-------------
All the best,
Per

www.salvaband.com
New cd: Salva "Left to burn", out now
Available through:
www.caerllysimusic.co.uk
www.progressrec.com
www.justforkicks.de
www.salvaband.com

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 05:42
Originally posted by Jethro Fish Jethro Fish wrote:

I shocked myself by voting for Alan White but I really love them both. I think my vote was swayed by two things; Alan White is a rockier drummer and almost everyone else love's Bruford. There you have it.

Yeah, that's a tough choice but after much thought I went for Bruford.

Sorry Alan

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Posted By: Velvetclown
Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 05:44
Alan Bruford great drummer !!!!!!!

-------------
Billy Connolly
Dream Theater
Terry Gilliam
Hagen Quartet
Jethro Tull
Mike Keneally

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 05:46

I voted for Alan White. I think BB is a more technical percussionist, but Alan White has a more natural and relaxed feel to his playing. Brufords drumming, for me often stands out from the rest of the music as a seperate entity, rather than an itegral part of the overal sound.

In short, Mr Whites style is more appreciated by my ears, regardless of what you may be able to prove on manuscript paper about who is best..

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Reed Lover
Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 07:18

The actual argument seems not to be "who is the better drummer?" but which drummer would play in the "hall-of -fame" Yes line-up. By dint of having played on Yes's best two albums,the logical answer would be Bill Bruford.

Smile

-------------

Posted By: the musical box
Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 10:17

Bruford: Was on the best Yes Albums "Fragile" and "Close To The Edge", played on the exellent King Crimson album "Red", played live with Genesis, became a succesfull jazz fusion drummer,etc.

White: Played on Relayer.......

.........you figure it out

BRUFORD!

-------------
something pretentious

Posted By: JrKASperov
Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 11:50
The better player on Yes was BillBurford as well. You all use the argument of CTTE, and forget that BB didn't have much energy for it, why he left. But when we look at Fragile AND The Yes Album, where BillBurford's technical but musical drumming really shines, we have to come to the conclusion that alan white's drumming is, in comparison, a tad 'empty'. There is simply a lot less to listen to.

Let's not forget that Bill Bruford shines on Heart of the Sunrise, Starship Trooper and Five Percent for Nothing. Those first two songs really did sound empty on Yessongs(and on the keys to ascension DVD) compared to the studio versions with BB.

Looking at individual performance, Alan White REALLY sucks. He doesn't play anything that you can listen to and be amazed. He just 'thunders' and that's it.

-------------
Epic.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 16:21
Originally posted by the musical box the musical box wrote:

Bruford: Was on the best Yes Albums "Fragile" and "Close To The Edge", played on the exellent King Crimson album "Red", played live with Genesis, became a succesfull jazz fusion drummer,etc.

White: Played on Relayer.......

.........you figure it out

BRUFORD!

There's quite a lot of support for Relayer as being the best Yes album.White (and Moraz) gave Yes a harder edge perhaps(?)

Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 16:25

Originally posted by JrKASperov JrKASperov wrote:

Looking at individual performance, Alan White REALLY sucks. He doesn't play anything that you can listen to and be amazed. He just 'thunders' and that's it.

I don't think that's true at all. White plays some pretty odd metered rhythms that would be beyond the scope of many rock drummers. Give the man his due, he does not SUCK. Even THUNDER takes talent.

Posted By: Easy Livin
Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 16:33

I'm no expert on drumming, as far as I'm concerned a good drummer is one you are not actually aware of.Embarrassed

My vote went to Alan White, simply on the basis that through the years he has been one of the key reasons the members of Yes have stayed together and continued to tour.

Posted By: mirco
Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 17:03

I don't think that's true at all. White plays some pretty odd metered rhythms that would be beyond the scope of many rock drummers. Give the man his due, he does not SUCK. Even THUNDER takes talent.

I just can't realize the idea that a musician who performed with one of the greatest prog band, and in various recordings as well as in live performances, really sucks... Maybe it's not as good as Bruford, but to states his "suckkiness" takes a lot of nerve.

-------------
Please forgive me for my crappy english!

Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 17:09
My point extactly!

Posted By: Beau Heem
Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 17:09
Originally posted by mirco mirco wrote:

I just can't realize the idea that a musician who performed with one of the greatest prog band, and in various recordings as well as in live performances, really sucks... Maybe it's not as good as Bruford, but to states his "suckkiness" takes a lot of nerve.

Now, hold that thought just for a minute...
What about Phil Collins

-------------
--No enemy but time--

Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 17:11
Personally, I enjoyed Mr. Collins drumming during the Genesis heyday. Fame be damned, eh?

Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 17:12
Collins doesn't sucks. He is doing such a wonderful job with Disney....

-------------

Posted By: Syzygy
Date Posted: January 20 2005 at 18:29

Alan White packs the harder punch, but Bruford is much lighter on his feet and has a longer reach. If it goes the full 15 rounds I would expect Bruford to win on points, but if White can connect with his right cross he'll knock Bruford into the middle of next week.

Phil Collins versus Mike Tyson - now that would be a fight to see.

-------------
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Posted By: zappa123
Date Posted: January 21 2005 at 06:40
I saw the match actually.It was 2-0 for Brufford.And I am a drummer too.For me the passion,aproach and ideas is more important than pure technique.

Posted By: Carlos
Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 10:30
Bruford 10 - White 6

-------------
Democracy=A form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people...

Posted By: Guillermo
Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 12:53

Maybe my  opinion is more influenced by personal bias, because I, being a drummer,  sent to Bruford one e-mail message to his official website, and he was kind, because he replied  this e-mail message (well, he at least he said to  his assistant personnel to reply me;but it  was clear for me that Bruford read my message). I sent an e-mail message to Alan White to his official website. He never sent a reply to me!  (Well, maybe he receives a lot of e-mail messages everyday and maybe he doesn`t have enough time to reply to all).

Many drummers in albums have been my "teachers", so I find good things in every drummer I have listened to. I consider Bruford  better than White, technically speaking. But both have different styles of playing. Bruford has a lot of influence from Jazz. In fact, now he is a full time Jazz drummer with his band. White is more a Rock drummer, with a lot of power in his playing. He was a session musician before he joined YES, for artists like Joe Cocker, John Lennon, George Harrison, Gary Wright, etc. So, IMO, he was very "experimented" playing Rock when he was asked to join YES. It`s amazing, IMO, what he did in the "Yessongs" album. IMO, Bruford found his real place in King Crimson. White`s best playing with YES is in the "Relayer" album. Bruford was amazing since the first YES`s  album.

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: January 22 2005 at 14:45

BRUFORD IS ONE OF TWO DRUMMERS WHO SCARE THE BEJESUS OUT OF ME.

Posted By: fairyliar
Date Posted: January 23 2005 at 09:27

I have two answers: to hear in solo, i prefer Bruford but with Yes i really vote for White, he is more in the Yes sound.

I saw White live with Yes, great drummer, very energic.

Posted By: JrKASperov
Date Posted: January 23 2005 at 11:10
If that is true, how come after CTTE Yes made relatively mediocre albums?

Bruford added the rythym virtuosity to Yes in Fragile and a bit less on CTTE, something that White just lacks. Whenever I listen to White, I just hear a mash, I don't find the lovely soft 'anti-rythym' style Bruford plays like on Heart of the Sunrise, in the 'basssolo' part in the beginning, where Mister Bruford alters his bass and snare a lot on the beat. As he himself said: he can be happily playing 4/4 and make it sound like it's 9/8, I've never found white to be outside his basic thumping.

-------------
Epic.

Posted By: Eddy
Date Posted: January 23 2005 at 12:33
i like alan whites style. but. both drummers are very talented. but the prize goes to bruu! BRUU I LOVE YOU

Posted By: fairyliar
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 14:23

Alan was in the bad period of Yes???!!!

I didn't know Relayer or Goin for the one were bad albums...moreover i love Drama, Union, Keystudio and The Ladder even if they're controversed (above all Union).

I really don't know why people are so angry with Union, it's a real cool album with good prog songs (The More we live, Angkor Wat...) and great neoprog tunes (The Miracle of life, Lift Me Up...). It's one of my favorite :)

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 15:59
I 've  been playing not only drums since I was in diapers but Bruford was the ONLY drummer that scared the pants off me. Why don't you Bruford opponents just keep your traps shut?

Posted By: Axe Victim
Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 07:37
Why even try to compare ???  Everybody is a Giant...........

-------------
This Whole World Has Gone Slum Gullion

Posted By: rexsvecia
Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 09:08

Well, we're talking about two great drummers here. I casted my vote for BB as I've always loved his playing (that snare sound, oooooh!).

White is such an accomplished drummer and he's great in the "later" Yes, but Bruford... well, he PLAYS the drums. I could listen to only him playing solo (as I could do with Bozzio or Vinnie C as well...) and that's a rare thought when it comes to drummers!

-------------
Never trust a person who claims to tell the truth.

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 09:41
Alan Bruford !!!!!!!!!

-------------
Billy Connolly
Dream Theater
Terry Gilliam
Hagen Quartet
Jethro Tull
Mike Keneally

Posted By: yarstruly
Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 10:26
Originally posted by Jethro Fish Jethro Fish wrote:

Like Jethro Said!

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 10:30
OK then Bill White  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
Billy Connolly
Dream Theater
Terry Gilliam
Hagen Quartet
Jethro Tull
Mike Keneally

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 10:59
Originally posted by Velvetclown Velvetclown wrote:

Isn't he a soul singer?

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 11:14
Nope thatīs Barry Grey the " I make all the women cry " singer 

-------------
Billy Connolly
Dream Theater
Terry Gilliam
Hagen Quartet
Jethro Tull
Mike Keneally

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 11:30
Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

Originally posted by Velvetclown Velvetclown wrote:

Isn't he a soul singer?
Try Barry White...

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 25 2005 at 12:40

Woot! Resurrecting another thread!!

Anyway, Bruford by miles. White was really good on GOD and relayer on a whole. But, overall Bruford takes the cake as the greatest drummer ever, IMHO.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Spacemac
Date Posted: June 25 2005 at 12:49
Bill Bruford

Posted By: Cesar Inca
Date Posted: June 26 2005 at 17:46

Bill Bruford!! , ... in my humble opinion, of course.

Posted By: spectral
Date Posted: June 26 2005 at 17:53
Easily Billy boy, without a shadow of a doubt!

-------------
"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: June 26 2005 at 18:28

Bill Bruford. One of the best drummers I know. Intelligent, always in for something new, soulful, humble... What a great guy.

Still White is a very good drummer.

Posted By: marktheshark
Date Posted: June 26 2005 at 18:29
Funny thing. During the years with Yes and KC, I used to think while Bill was a good precision drummer and percussionist, I thought he was somwhat lame. Where Alan I thought was more aggressive and dynamic. I had seen both of them in those years. Then everything changed when the first UK album came out. Then Bill's first 2 solos came along and I'm just going "What got into this guy?!". According to a Downbeat mag interview with him, after the KC hiatus he was just swept up by all these fusion drummers tearing up the skins (Billy Cobham, Lenny White, Narada Michael Walden etc.) So he went back to square one, tightened-up his basic rudiments, pumped iron and came back a leaner, meaner Bill Bruford. It sure showed when I saw him on the One Of A Kind tour. I was just blown away and did a complete 180 on him.

About the only time I was disappointed in what he was doing was around the ABW&H/Union period when he had this obession with electronic drums. Electronic drums are fine for occasional effect, but I wouldn't want a whole set of them. They just take too much of the human element out of drumming. But Bill's one of those guys who sees a neat toy and just goes all out for a while like he did with Remo Roto Toms. Glad to see he got off of it.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk