Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32102
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 17:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: High Tide
Posted By: Kyle
Subject: High Tide
Date Posted: December 11 2006 at 19:32
I believe High Tide is seriously underrated in the world of progressive rock (even though they aren't exactly the most progressive group out there). There songs often featured guitar/violin duels, and the results were often breathtaking. Their first two albums, "Sea Shanties" and "High Tide" are excellent. Sea Shanties is one of my all-time favorite albums, and is my all-time favorite guitar album thanks to Tony Hill's awesome ability. Anyone else a big fan of these guys?    

Replies:
Posted By: Asyte2c00
Date Posted: December 11 2006 at 21:39
Sea Shanties is amazing. 

I consider the first true hard rock album.  It drew up the blue print for DP, BS, and LZ.

Posted By: ViolinCyndee
Date Posted: December 12 2006 at 00:16

I just got these 2 albums:  AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

-------------
http://cdbaby.com/cd/cyndeeleerule
www.cyndeeleerule.com

Posted By: Clark Ashton
Date Posted: December 12 2006 at 01:31
Me too. House's violin style is very unique. I had been looking to buy these for a while, but got the remasters for a song at a local record store. Big smile

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: December 12 2006 at 02:54
I've got both "Sea Shanties" and "High Tide", and they are really awesome albums. The former in particular contains one of my favourite instrumentals of all time, the monumental "Death Warmed Up". 

Posted By: Rocktopus
Date Posted: December 12 2006 at 05:44
I've gone from only really liking their first, to dig the second just as much. The fantastic Saneonymous really gives me shivers.

They should have made a single edit from one of the two vocal parts. They might have had a big hit. I've played a short version several times while DJ'ing. There's always people coming up to ask what I'm playing.

Simon House's got my favorite violinsound in rock. He adds a melancholic beauty to all their tracks.  

-------------
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: December 12 2006 at 05:55
Their second album has recieved a re-issue with many bonus tracks (almost doubling the playing time) and those extras are just as good as the album tracks.

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Planet_Gong
Date Posted: December 12 2006 at 07:24

honestly one of the most best musique that i've heard.

the plays the futures in their times

Posted By: Kyle
Date Posted: December 12 2006 at 07:34
Well I'm glad I was not the only one blown away by this group! Yes, the song "Death Warmed Up" almost has to be heard to be believed. It's High Tide's crowning achievement.

Posted By: paulindigo
Date Posted: December 12 2006 at 09:57
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Their second album has recieved a re-issue with many bonus tracks (almost doubling the playing time) and those extras are just as good as the album tracks.

Eclectic have also re-released Sea Shanties with 5 bonus tracks, including The Great Universal Protection Racket (a different and more successful version from the one added as a bonus in the 2nd) which sadly was cut out of the original release due to time constraints. Essential stuff!
Precious Cargo is another interesting release, too bad it has bootleg sound quality (coming from Akarma I suspect it IS a bootleg...)

Posted By: Chris S
Date Posted: December 12 2006 at 12:56
How about an mp3 snippet for us in the drop down box eh?

-------------
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]

Posted By: Certif1ed
Date Posted: December 12 2006 at 18:00
Originally posted by Asyte2c00 Asyte2c00 wrote:

Sea Shanties is amazing. 

I consider the first true hard rock album.  It drew up the blue print for DP, BS, and LZ.

Actually, that was Spooky Two, by Spooky Tooth - which also lay the ground work for Judas Priest.

I wouldn't be surprised if High Tide drew influence from the Spookies too...

-------------
The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Posted By: Hiwatter
Date Posted: December 17 2006 at 09:13
Amazing group and i think Tony Hill is one of the most innovative rock guitarists of all time. Listen to his guitar work on Sea Shanties from 1969 and you dont have chance to find a more innovative playing style from this year. Phenomenal player.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk