Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3241
Printed Date: May 27 2024 at 10:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Keyboards that Get You
Posted By: threefates
Subject: Keyboards that Get You
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 18:09

When I first started listening to prog, you could pretty much tell it was a keyboard heavy genre. I loved the Moog solo at the end of Lucky Man... The Hammond took a little getting use to, but I grew to love it.  The Mellotron also took a little getting use to, but that GX1 I just wanted to throw off the stage...

The piano will always be my favorite.  Nothing more beautiful that Keith Emerson's second of the Three Fates, Trilogy or Take a Pebble...among others...

Of course I have a old Yamaha DX7 that sits on top of my piano.  The piano hasn't been played in a very long time....  I have a friend who recently went out and splurged on a Korg Triton even tho she hardly plays anymore... I somehow feel vindicated....

Whats your favorite keyboard?

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Replies:
Posted By: billyshears'67
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 18:13
Probably, the now discontinued ARP Syntesizers.

ARP String Ensemble
ARP 2600

I love that cool ethereal sound that created.

Posted By: Dan Bobrowski
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 18:29
Hammond B-3, hands down. The swirling leslie rips through any wall of sound. At home in some many genre's; blues, jazz, R&B, prog, gospel.... I would bet the hammond B-3 is responsible for a sizable amount of the early 70's birthrate.

Posted By: Valarius
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 18:42
I don't really know any of their names, but keyboards rock!

Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 21:27

Originally posted by danbo danbo wrote:

Hammond B-3, hands down. The swirling leslie rips through any wall of sound. At home in some many genre's; blues, jazz, R&B, prog, gospel.... I would bet the hammond B-3 is responsible for a sizable amount of the early 70's birthrate.

The Hammond is great, someone said once to Keith Emerson that if it wasn't for him, the Hammond would still be a piece of f**king furniture,  but somehow I think its the Hammond sound that dates a lot of prog today.  Altho I could listen to that First Fate forever... even tho the first time I heard it, it scared the crap out of me...

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: FloydWright
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 23:17
The Hammond organ, of course...

And also it's relative, the "piano through a Leslie". Think "Echoes"...

Posted By: starofsirius
Date Posted: January 24 2005 at 23:29
The hammond, mellotron and my favorite the ARP synthesizers

-------------
"I'm in a freefall like a snowflake falling down down down down down."

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 03:44

Need I say more?

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 03:45

When it comes down to it I love the sound of a well played piano. I love the moments like the opening to Firth of Fifth by Genesis when Tony Banks plays that piano intro. Perfect. John Touts playing with Rennaisance is also superb.

I'm no expert on electronic keyboards, but I love the sound of Hammonds organs and Mellotrons. Mellotrons can be over used, but a good player/composer will know when to turn it off!

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: 70sSoundquality
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 04:22
Im suprised more people didnt jump on the analog synthesizer bit. My favotire sounds are from the Roland  SH-1(1978) Oberheim Ob-1 (1978, used by rush), the Octave cat (1976, own this synth!).

Arp Odyssey is a great synth since it has the high pass filter.

But, the absolute BEST synth sound is the EMS VCS-3 (used by curved air, floyd).

Organs are cool, I have a 1957 wurly tube organ that likes to scream but 70s synths are still sexier sounding to me. I also have a hammond with a leslie and it is striking.

One of my favs is the Rhodes. I totally overhauled my 1976 stage Rhodes and it plays nicely. And sounds very nice and 70s. The rhodes sound is very perfect for what I am doing.

As far as mellotron is concerned, Id say the optigon blows it out of the water :)

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 04:27

THE TRON IS DEAD LONG LIVE THE TRON

THE TRON' RULES - even th emodern bands are getting hip to that great dusty, sinister string sound! I NEVER get bored of listening to the mellotron. As you can probably grasp!!!

Posted By: sigod
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 04:37

Yep, I'd go with the Hammond to. Along with the Piano, it's an incredibly expressive instrument and one without which, Banks, Emerson & Wakeman would have not had half as much fun as wide eyed, youngsters.

That said, you can't beat seeing a big organ rise up in front of you at the cinema.

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.
- Clement Atlee, on Winston Churchill

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 04:37
Lets not forget the phenominal sounds of the Orchestron, Optigon, Birotron, and Polymoog 

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 04:42

Harpsicord
Mellotron 400
Mini-Moog
Clavioline
ARP Soloist
VCS-3

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: chorus of one
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 04:45

I love the Mellotron!
I enjoy most keyboards, occasionally some can get on my nerves like those old synthesizers that produce cheesy video game noises, but you get used to them.

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 04:50
Originally posted by 70sSoundquality 70sSoundquality wrote:

Lets not forget the phenominal sounds of the Orchestron, Optigon, Birotron, and Polymoog 

How about 10cc/Godley & Creme's GIZMO

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 05:57
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

ahhh, So I have heard. I have not paid close attention to any 10cc stuff, but I have heard about this gizmo. Want to refresh my memory? Is that the keyboard that sounds like voices? Since were getting invetor specific- lets bring up Dave Stewarts "Tone Generator" (of Egg, national health, hatfield and north).  Steve hillage was able to borrow if for "fish rising" i believe. Very sweet sound

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 06:14

How about 10cc/Godley & Creme's GIZMO[/QUOTE]

ahhh, So I have heard. I have not paid close attention to any 10cc
stuff, but I have heard about this gizmo. Want to refresh my memory? Is
that the keyboard that sounds like voices? Since were getting invetor
specific- lets bring up Dave Stewarts "Tone Generator" (of Egg,
national health, hatfield and north).  Steve hillage was able to
borrow if for "fish rising" i believe. Very sweet sound

I really don't know much about it.They (10cc) kept it
pretty-much a mysterious object.Although they did name
a b-side('Gizmo My Way') after it.

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 06:20

Wow, Man Erg, I though that the the only people that remembered the Gizmo where, Kev. Lol me and my mate who gave me a copy of Consequences back in the 80's. It's nice to know you remember it too.

-------------
I must remind the right honourable gentleman that a monologue is not a decision.

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 08:07
Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

Wow, Man Erg, I though that the the only people that remembered the Gizmo where, Kev. Lol me and my mate to gave me a copy of Consequences back in the 80's. It's nice to know you remember it too.

Cheers Sigod

Looks a bit like an oblong E-Bow

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 08:15

Birotron.Was someone trying to copy the Stylophone?

-------------

Posted By: Swinton MCR
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 12:11
I love Moog solos - The Old Castle, Aquatarkus, Wakeman in the version of Starship trooper on the Keys from ascension - OTT or what !!!

-------------
Play me my song, here it comes again

Posted By: Garion81
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 12:18

With midi these days I can't think of sound that can't be reproduced so for me it has to be the feel and action of the keyboard. (for example; Native Instruments makes a great Hammond sound with it's B-4.)  I learned on piano and it is really hard for me to play non weighted keys.  Korg and  Kurzwell make great weighted keys entries. Yamaha Clavinova action is my favorites.

-------------

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"

Posted By: Lunarscape
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 14:47

Hammond b-3, Mini Moog and Mellotron and noo doubt that the Hammond sound is responsable for higher birthrates in the 70ies (LOL)

ThreeFates; Sorry to desagree a bit. The true King of the Hammond in Prog Rock is Thjiis Van Leer. Give "Moving Waves", Focus III and Hamburger Concerto a try and you'll know why !

The ARP Synths are well manuvered in the hands of the Master - Rick Wakeman (Also known as the King Of Moog !)

Roland Keyboards, especially the D-50 is ruled by Edgar Froese !

Cheers

_________

Lunar

-------------
Music Is The Soul Bird That Flies In The Immense Heart Of The Listener . . .

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 15:02

My favorite keyboards are an Oberheim OB-X for harmony parts and pads and Minimoogs and Arp 2600s for lead parts. I also like Moog Taurus Bass Pedals. These things have more fat in them than a truck load of donuts. I love the Moog Bass and the low filter on a Minimoog.

My favorite Minimoog sounds are ANYTHING played by Jan Hammer and the melody bridge in Tom Sawyer by Rush. I also like the Minimoog solo in Machine Messiah by Yes. That is probably the coolest.

I also like how Robert Fripp uses Mellotron. And, of course, anything with Hammond B3 is golden by my standards.

Long live MINIMOOG!!!

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 16:00

..and they still make Mellotrons!! The MK VI..

http://www.mellotron.com - www.mellotron.com

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: asuma
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 16:07

my favourite sound on a keyboard is that very 80's/new wave chessy sound. along with the keyboard style that is present with the unicorns.

Of late, i have also become more a fan of samplers. even if it's playing one note very fast, then jumping up and down a scale very quickly, then back to the one note. it sounds very cool, and easy to dance to.

-------------
*Remember all advice given by Asuma is for entertainment purposes only. Asuma is not a licensed medical doctor, psychologist, or counselor and he does not play one on TV.*

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 16:09

Birotron.Was someone trying to copy the Stylophone?

birotron was co -invented with Rick wakeman in 1978. You can only hear it on 2-3 albums in the late 70s (tormato, rhapsodies) and on a NUMBER of bootlegs. Birotron used 8-track cart tapes so the notes could sustain forever.

only 35 were made

one recently sold for upwards of $35,000. VERY underrated keyboard, oh well

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 18:09
Originally posted by asuma asuma wrote:

my favourite sound on a keyboard is that very 80's/new wave chessy sound. along with the keyboard style that is present with the unicorns.

Wasn't that the Yamaha GX1??

Altho Keith did really enjoy that ribbon controller, didn't he....

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 20:11

Only keys that do it for me are:

Melotron

EMS VCS-3

Moog Modular & 1,11,111C

Hammond B/C3 with Leslie

A nice lottery win should just about cover that lot second hand.

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 21:44
Originally posted by Lunarscape Lunarscape wrote:

ThreeFates; Sorry to desagree a bit. The true King of the Hammond in Prog Rock is Thjiis Van Leer. Give "Moving Waves", Focus III and Hamburger Concerto a try and you'll know why !

You almost made me spit my sides laughing....Maybe you should listen to some of the Nice's albums... start with Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 22:46

Hammond B3, Mellotron, Steinway Grand  Piano and Kurzweil Keyboards, the perfect set, if you want something extra, try some Church Pipe Organ for studio recordings.

Iván

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 23:04
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Kurzweil Keyboards, Iván

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 23:07

Hey Garion, watch Kansas  Device, Voice Drums DVD and listen the sound created by Steve Walsh with his Kurzweil K2661, it's amazing.

Iván

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 23:16
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Hey Garion, watch Kansas  Device, Voice Drums DVD and listen the sound created by Steve Walsh with his Kurzweil K2661, it's amazing.

Iván

Yes he does. 

That is a great concert DVD although it would be better recorded today because he is singing better now.  It is amazing when you think of all those hands and keyboards Kansas used to create the songs in the 70's  that he does with KURZWEIL now by himself.  He was such a great singer that people tend to forget how great a keyboard player he was too. 

-------------

Date Posted: January 25 2005 at 23:59

Steve says about Kurzweil:

"I've ALWAYS used Kurzweil gear, beginning with the K2VX, and now the new K2661. The K2VX has been an inspiration on many of our recordings and I can't wait to see what the K2661 will bring to our music."

Kurzweil is not an expensive keyboard, but the sound is incredibly good, of course is not top notch, but has something special, it's very versatile.

Compare it with some terrible keyboards Rick Wakeman started to use since the late 70's and the difference is incredible.

Buy the way, he's still a great singer, he had a vocal chords operation a few months before Device Voice Drums, and after the recovery period he's singing better than ever.

Iván

Posted By: Dick Heath
Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 12:00
If it wasn't clear, the Godley-Creme Gizmo was a guitar effect: a series of 6 wheels, each under a string - so when in operation a string could be depressed on to its wheel to give a violin-like sound. Consequences was the optimum demo album to show what other tricks/sound effects were possible. I'm sure somebody corrected my long term assumption that the choral effects (e.g. I'm Not In Love) was not in effect G & C  stripping out the standard tape loops from a Mellotron and replacing them with tape loops of their own voices.

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 12:03
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

If it wasn't clear, the Godley-Creme Gizmo was a guitar effect: a series of 6 wheels, each under a string - so when in operation a string could be depressed on to its wheel to give a violin-like sound. Consequences was the optimum demo album to show what other tricks/sound effects were possible. I'm sure somebody corrected my long term assumption that the choral effects (e.g. I'm Not In Love) was not G & C due to stripping out the standard tape loops from a Mellotron and putting tap loops of their own voices.

DH, thank you for that mate, I was always curious about how the Gizmo functioned. I wonder how many were produced though?

I'd have one even today.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 12:24

Originally posted by sigod sigod wrote:

DH, thank you for that mate, I was always curious about how the Gizmo functioned. I wonder how many were produced though?

I'd have one even today.

Interesting that G & C dropped out of 10cc (and where did they get their name from....?) to promote their patented invention the Gizmo, they must have felt they had some real business opportunities?

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 12:31

King of the Hammond - Step forward....Mr Dave Greenslade

Best use of ARP 2600 - Tony Banks anybody ??

VCS3 - Peter Badens (RIP)

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 12:33

Check out John Novello of Niacin (a dreadful pun: i.e. Vitamin B3) for masterly Hammond B3 organ work with Billy Sheehan and Dennis Chambers on drum'n'bass respectively. Niacin's Time Crunch album has great takes on Krimson's Red and Beck/Hammer's Blue Wind. The first Niacin album (also the live Blood Sweat & Beers) reminds you with their version, how heavy Vanilla Fudge's You Keep Me Hanging On was.

The ignored Jens Johnasson (but he will insist on earning his bread and butter playing keys for a naff metal prog band), plays the heaviest Hammond on the Jonas Hellborg Trio e album

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 12:37
Anybody (preferrably in the UK) know where to lay their hands of a working and reasonably cheap Theremin for a young musician???? (Apparently we can imported from Australia for 75 quid, while Jimmy Page copies are well expensive at 1500 US dollars).

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 12:39

Iv'e got a big enough back-catalogue of things to listen too.......So much prog and so little time !!

I've only just discovered Dream Theatre and Triumvirat and Per Lindh....Next Glass Hammer perhaps !

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 12:52
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

Anybody (preferrably in the UK) know where to lay their hands of a working and reasonably cheap Theremin for a young musician???? (Apparently we can imported from Australia for 75 quid, while Jimmy Page copies are well expensive at 1500 US dollars).

Macaris' on Charing Cross Road.They sell the pocket
theramin for about £65 ish to the big 'pro' ones that'll
set you back a bit.

-------------

Date Posted: January 26 2005 at 13:11

A while ago while researching Pamela Kurstin, who is a young, but well know Theremin artist (she's featured in the Moog video and was an artist at Moogfest) I remember seeing this paragraph on the cost of Theremins:

Where can I buy a theremin?
There are few places to buy the theremin outside of the USA so mail order is the main option. There are two questions you should ask before buying a theremin - how much do you want to spend and how serious are you about playing the theremin? It is a very hard instrument with a 90% estimated drop out rate, so think seriously before you spend. A 'coloursound pocket theremin' or similar (anything under £100) is just a buzzy little toy and not really a fully fledged instrument (as it does not have a volume circuit so it is always playing a continuous note) but it may do if your only aim is to make crazy noises. In London, UK, a shop called Macaris on Tottenham Court Road sells theremins by Elysian which you can try out, but they are rather overpriced in my opinion.   The model I play is thought to be the international standard in entry level theremins, the Etherwave by
http://www.bigbriar.com/ - Big Briar , the most popular theremin in the world.  It is relatively cheap, portable and can sounds pretty good! 

If you are after a cheaper alternative, I recommend theremins by
http://www.no1derland.com/ - No. 1 electronics from London, UK, they are quite cheap, stable with good features for the money and make an excellent entry level theremin. A "classic" vintage RCA theremin can cost up to $15,000 and the Big Briar Ethervox midi theremin is $3,500 so it's worth starting off with a No. 1 electronics or Etherwave before you make a more serious investment.

For the entire article, which is a great history on the instrument and even a little guide to playing:

http://www.hypnotique.net/theremin/guide.htm - http://www.hypnotique.net/theremin/guide.htm

-------------
THIS IS ELP

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk