Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32464
Printed Date: May 31 2024 at 19:56
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 70's US Progressive bands
Posted By: Logan
Subject: 70's US Progressive bands
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 09:11
I thought of this due to a recent Kansas poll.  Which is your favourite US band of any Prog "genre" listed in the archives from this time?  Please excuse any obvious omissions.

I particularly like Happy the Man (and not just for their 70's output).

EDITED to include Frank Zappa (he has one missing vote now) as it's a total joke without him, and I wanted to include Adrien Belew (I had to remove Axcraft and another one, but I forget which right now... Hmmm.).  "Twas the muffins.  EDITED, that BeLEW!  Editing out Belew due to serious incompetence (thanks for the heads up) and am now replacing with The Stud Muffins -- erm, I mean The Muffins ( http://www.studmuffins.nl/tempsite/ - The Stud Muffins being hunks of spongy cake from Holland, or something.  Can't say I really know the band -- funny name, though.).

-------------
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist

Replies:
Posted By: Arrrghus
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 09:12
Zappa!

-------------

Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 09:14
Kansas!!

Posted By: eugene
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 09:17
This poll only seems to be easier that 70's Italian prog bands, but still I can't choose between Happy The Man, Yezda Urfa and Mirthrandir, and also Cathedral and The Muffins, - no, no way I can vote here either... 

-------------
carefulwiththataxe

Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 09:19
Originally posted by Arrrghus Arrrghus wrote:

Zappa!

Hahah, I can't believe I missed placing Zappa OF ALL POSSIBLE CHOICES in the poll! (well actually I did, but reedited the order of the list).  Thanks, will edit, cause it's a total joke with that omission -- it's very late, or rather early, and I haven't slept.  I notice I forgot Belew too.

-------------
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 09:24
KANSAS

E

-------------

Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 09:31

Zappa!

I voted for Zappa in lieu of you (as you voted other before I ammended the poll).

-------------

Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 09:32
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Zappa!
I voted for Zappa in lieu of you (as you voted other before I ammended the poll).

How do you amend polls??

Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 09:33
You just use the edit button (but you can't add more poll options so I had to remove 2 former choices).  Now I wish I could amend my spelling of amended in your quote of me.

-------------

Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 09:34

You just use the edit button (but you can't add more poll options so I had to remove 2 former choices).

Thanks! I wondered how to do that. Well my vote is already in. I will say it again. KANSAS!!

Posted By: Masque
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 09:54
Not saying Big smile

-------------

Posted By: The Rock
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 10:06
How about Starcastle,Babylon,Quill,Northwind,Infinity,Polyphony,Pent**ter,Touch,Netherworld,Glass,and Ethos?

-------------
What's gonna come out of my mouth is gonna come out of my soul."Skip Prokop"

Posted By: Hatters
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 10:10
ZAPPA ZAPPA ZAPPA

Although Captain Beefheart and Weather Report are brilliant as well.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/SHatters/?chartstyle=basic10">

Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 10:35
Originally posted by The Rock The Rock wrote:

How about Starcastle,Babylon,Quill,Northwind,Infinity,Polyphony,Pent**ter,Touch,Netherworld,Glass,and Ethos?

Sounds good.  There are lots of great 70's US Prog bands.

Incidentally, not that you're saying I SHOULD have included all those bands, but just as an opportunity to express why i left out certain bands deliberately (and some not so), I only included ones I'm fairly familiar with -- although I have heard a Starcastle album and considered their inclusion as they get mentioned a fair amount here, and have heard bits and pieces of some of the others (like Glass which really does deserve inclusion).  Will definitely check those out, and thanks for sharing them.  I'm particularly interested in Ethos.  I also only included bands that released studio albums in the 70s and are listed here (so Polyphony out I think, and Infinity though a  70s and later band doesn't have a studio album release at this site dated from the 70's).  Netherworld was born in the 70s but I only know of their early 80s studio album release.  I like Touch but didn't include them due to their Proto-Prog classification (nor did I include any Prog Related bands).

But of course I'm happy to see you and others sharing this great progressive music. Clap

But yeah, it just goes to show how many great progressive bands from the 70's there were in the US.  I would like to explore more, do you have a particular album recommendation?

-------------

Posted By: keith_emerson
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 10:53
ZAPPA!!!!

Posted By: Rutgers Joe
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 11:49
Other

Tie: Mahavishnu Orchestra & Return to Forever

-------------
The original (and very creepy) cover of THE STEVE HOWE ALBUM...hint...look in the water...

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 12:04
I can't think of many avant-garde bands from the USA I actually like (Beefheart, Patton-related stuff, Birdsongs of the Mesozoic and Thinking Plague might be the list) and not a single north american symphonic rock band I enjoy!

Fortunately frank zappa lived there. votinated

edit: ok, that's not entirely true. I like that Hands album and I'm pretty sure they're both symphonic and american.

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Posted By: JesusBetancourt
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 12:17
What about Star Castle? there not that bad.

-------------
"He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water"
              John 7:38

Posted By: ryba
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 14:27
1. pavlov's dog
2. pavlov's dog
3. pavlov's dog

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 14:31
Weather Report, followed by Zappa.

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 15:16
Belew?  Belew isn't really seventies.  His first solo album was 82, and his first album with Crimso was 81.  Yeah, he was one one Zappa album in the 70's, but he's known for his stuff in the 80's and after.

-------------

Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 15:31
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Belew?  Belew isn't really seventies.  His first solo album was 82, and his first album with Crimso was 81.  Yeah, he was one one Zappa album in the 70's, but he's known for his stuff in the 80's and after.

Spot on, thanks Lamp -- 'twas another mistake to edit him in when correcting another mistake. Error breeds error. Just one of those days -- I usually fact check.  Serious sleep deprivation, and well, very flustered today due to a situation (I accidentally edited out Zappa from the poll before submitting).  But, no excuses for my carelessness.  Will edit out and replace with the original band I had in Belew's place. Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 16:09

Originally posted by The Rock The Rock wrote:

Sounds good.  There are lots of great 70's US Prog bands.

Incidentally, not that you're saying I SHOULD have included all those bands, but just as an opportunity to express why i left out certain bands deliberately (and some not so), I only included ones I'm fairly familiar with -- although I have heard a Starcastle album and considered their inclusion as they get mentioned a fair amount here, and have heard bits and pieces of some of the others (like Glass which really does deserve inclusion).  Will definitely check those out, and thanks for sharing them.  I'm particularly interested in Ethos.  I also only included bands that released studio albums in the 70s and are listed here (so Polyphony out I think, and Infinity though a  70s and later band doesn't have a studio album release at this site dated from the 70's).  Netherworld was born in the 70s but I only know of their early 80s studio album release.  I like Touch but didn't include them due to their Proto-Prog classification (nor did I include any Prog Related bands).

But of course I'm happy to see you and others sharing this great progressive music. Clap

But yeah, it just goes to show how many great progressive bands from the 70's there were in the US.  I would like to explore more, do you have a particular album recommendation?

Proto-Kaw of course is Kansas related.
Ethos both their studio albums recommended,even if the second one is not as popular as the first,also there is a compilation of odds and ends the was released a few years ago.

Every time I print P.E.N.T.W.A,T.E.R  ti comes out Pent**ter!!
why the 2 **?

-------------

Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 16:37
Originally posted by JesusBetancourt JesusBetancourt wrote:

What about Star Castle? there not that bad.

Yes, I like Starcastle -- and their derivative clonesmanship does not diminish that.  I think I decided not to put them in not because I don't like them, and not because of their Yes clone qualities, but because of a sci-fi association.  Their band's name makes me think about a pretty mediocre Canadian sci-fi show starring Keir Dullea (of 2001 A Space Odyssey) from the 70s called The Starlost.  Whenever I think of Starcastle, my mind turns to http://www.snowcrest.net/fox/star.html - The Starlost (a rather derivative show as I recall).  I tend to mix the two up.  So when I think Starcastle, I think low-grade sci-fi.  Mind you, I still enjoy it despite the lack of greatness (The Starlost, I mean, but it's not Prog).

Starcastle The Starlost

By the way, thanks The Rock!  I'm still quite the n00b when it comes to most Prog -- will definitely look into them.

-------------

Posted By: Spacemac
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 17:31
Happy the Man

Posted By: White Duck
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 18:25
zappa!!

Posted By: Chus
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 18:28
where's return to forever???

-------------
Jesus Gabriel

Posted By: Masque
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 19:30
Starcastle should have been there , they wouldn`t have won the poll I don`t think  but I think their first two albums were amazing Smile

-------------

Posted By: Soul Dreamer
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 20:03
From what I know of the list:
Kansas by far..
I'm not that into Zappa (that's an understatement...)

-------------
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)

Posted By: Empathy
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 20:20
Zappa, without a doubt. 

-------------
Pure Brilliance:

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 20:42
HTM

Posted By: Harkmark
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 20:49
I am not convinced by Happy the man, haven't heard enough by Kansas and Pat Metheny Group. Haven't heard Mithrandir (will probably buy it some day). Enjoy all of the others a lot. And of course the Residents...etc

Posted By: Zoot Allures
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 21:06

Frank!

-------------
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - Hunter S. Thompson

Posted By: Clark Ashton
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 22:28
Kansas got my vote based on their first 5 albums. Yezda Urfa was a very close second. I also find Cathedral and Mirthrandir very enjoyable.

-------------
And he took the stars
In his hands
And as he scattered them he’d shout
“I’m the joker of the universe
I’m what it’s all about”

Posted By: MadcapLaughs84
Date Posted: December 22 2006 at 23:37
Zappa is my master.

-------------

Posted By: DallasBryan
Date Posted: December 23 2006 at 02:39
Todd Rundgren's Utopia

wait a minute he's not in the poll! what kinda poll is this?

Zappa
Utopia
Kansas
Billy Cobham
Herbie Hancock

Clown

Date Posted: December 23 2006 at 03:31
And Fireballet,and The Dixie Dregs!
Asia,not the popular 80,s pop prog band but the American band that went by that name, they released 2 good hard-rock/prog pomp rock albums in the late 70's.Lots of mellotron and muti-part vocal harmonies.
They lost the name's right to Brian Lane in the early 80's.

The Muffins were great too,I don't understand they don't have a vote yet.Question

-------------

Posted By: Cygnus
Date Posted: December 23 2006 at 06:50
Oh boy KANSAS for sure

Posted By: ozzy_tom
Date Posted: December 23 2006 at 06:57
Frm this list I've listened only to Kansas and Frank Zappa. Kansas is quite good but I prefer "other" less known American bands, like: Albatross, Lift or Fireballet. From more mainstream bands I like Styx.

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2006 at 12:51
Originally posted by DallasBryan DallasBryan wrote:

Todd Rundgren's Utopia

wait a minute he's not in the poll! what kinda poll is this?.... Clown

A very poorly and hastily executed one, which isn't altogether bad since that can help to generate lively discussion. Clown I happen to have and like Todd Rundgren's Utopia, considered including Rundgren for that album (a list I wanted to keep short) but excluded it for some reason.  Anyway, at least I remembered the "other" option.

As for the Dixie Dregs (another obvious omission), I really must listen to them, but I'm put off due to assocating the name with the Dixie Chicks in my soggy noddle, and I'm not keen on dregs, (not that "the Chicks" are bad, or anything, and I appreciate their political outspokenness, but they're too country for my tastes -- fairly progressive band though).   Strange, but true.

-------------

Date Posted: December 23 2006 at 15:37
My LUCKY 13 70's progressive albums from the USA

Billy Cobham - Spectrum
Dixie Dregs - Freefall
Jerry Garcia - Garcia
Herbie Hancock - Headhunters
Kansas - Leftoverture
Jefferson Starship - Dragonfly
Journey - s/t
Todd Rundgren - Todd
Santana - Caravanserai
Utopia - Ra
Lenny White - Venusian Summer
Frank Zappa - Over-nite Sensations
Frank Zappa - Apostrophe

everyone here is a cut above anything obscure like Yezda Urfa, Cathedral, Happy the Man, etc. IMO! Some songs are uneven but the good ones are great!Wink

Posted By: Tenken
Date Posted: December 23 2006 at 16:45
Kansas and Zappa and Also Wether report...

Does anybody know a band called "Angel"(I'm not sure) from the 70's ? they had very famous theme called "The Tower".... I can't find information about it ConfusedCry

-------------
¡¡El Rocanrol no morirá jamás!!

Date Posted: December 23 2006 at 17:19
if you like Weather Report's best, all 70's jazz fusion junkie should have the Crusaders - Free As the Wind(a classic!)

years before the format known as smooth jazz got its fluffy, evil paws on pop instrumental music, bands like The Crusaders made fulfilling records in the crossover mold. Free as the Wind takes gospel, riffy R&B and a funk of the breezier sort, blends it with elements of symphonic soul, and comes up with a goes-down-easy album that maintains grit and character. Joe Sample's Fender Rhodes blends with Wilton Felder's muscular tenor sax and Larry Carlton's tasty guitar work, strings swirl around, and, well, you'll find that you can't help humming along. The differences between this and today's smooth jazz are at once subtle and enormous. < =text/>

Posted By: Drumolator
Date Posted: December 23 2006 at 20:12
I voted for Kansas.  My other favorite prog band is Camel.  Peace.

-------------
Mark Wellman
"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Posted By: Chris H
Date Posted: December 23 2006 at 20:16

Pat Metheny would have got my vote, I find him to not have many progressive elements, just straight jazz. So I gave it to Captain Beefheart, because who doesnt love Trout Mask Replica?

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: December 24 2006 at 23:48
Hey, no Pavlov's Dog????

Anyway I would have still voted for Kansas.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: progadicto
Date Posted: December 25 2006 at 20:29
I only dislike Pat Metheny.. never catched his stuff... The others are great specially Zappa, Yezda Urfa, Happy The Man, Kansas, Weather Report but I go for The Muffins... recently I bought the album 185 and it's just amazing... BTW I miss in that list Pent**ter. Their album Out Of The Abyss is one of the highlights of USA 70's Prog...

-------------
... E N E L B U N K E R...

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: March 06 2007 at 09:16
KANSAS

-------------

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: March 06 2007 at 09:19
Zappa out of those, no doubt!

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: seamus
Date Posted: March 06 2007 at 14:17
PAVLOV'S DOG
STARCASTLE
FIREBALLET

Date Posted: March 20 2007 at 22:39
Originally posted by seamus seamus wrote:

PAVLOV'S DOG
STARCASTLE
FIREBALLET
not up to par! imo

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: March 20 2007 at 22:45
Kansas' well deserved rep rests on their first 5-6 albums, with a "touring" renaissance since the mid 90s. Zappa, on the other hand, my friends & I just thought he was different ... ok, weird, but in a good way, like out there. But back when we were listening to Apostrophe & Overnight Sensation, we were too young & ignorant to know about a term such prog Tongue

Posted By: rileydog22
Date Posted: March 20 2007 at 22:47
Zappa's my favorite, but I couldn't stand to see ol' Don Von Vliet down so much, so the Cap'n got my vote!

-------------

Posted By: BroSpence
Date Posted: March 21 2007 at 01:37
Does Weather Report really count as a US band? Jaco wasn't american.  Neither was Joe Zawinul, Alex Acuna, Airto Moriera.

Posted By: Prayermad
Date Posted: March 21 2007 at 09:11
Captain Beefheart, of course Embarrassed

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk