Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32868
Printed Date: May 17 2024 at 20:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Hard and AOR poll
Posted By: markosherrera
Subject: Hard and AOR poll
Date Posted: January 04 2007 at 19:56
For me this is a non prog group band ,that many prog fans enjoy..( I BELIEVE)..Well   choice and write something .

Replies:
Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: January 04 2007 at 22:33
Toss up between Fleetwood Mac and Journey. I love the Mac, but they sort of slid after Rumours. Still made some decent music, but Mirage and Tango In The Night were very inconsistent. And I cannot even begin to tell you what a train wreck Behind The Mask was after Buckingham left. A nice return with Say You Will and The Dance, though.

Journey, on the other hand, provided some of the best music of my youth. "Mother, Father" from Escape is simply gut wrenching and a more serious song when compared to "Who's Crying Now" or "Stone In Love". Frontiers, though not as good as Escape, has some great songs that you never hear on the radio--primarily, "Edge Of The Blade" and the title track.

Perry really fouled up (as he even admitted) when he fired Steve Smith and Ross Valory in favor of studio hired guns for Raised On Radio. By this time the magic had gone and it's hardly recognizable as being a Journey album.

Long post, I know, but I still have a warm spot for Journey.

E

-------------

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: January 04 2007 at 23:05
I have to recognize that I've only listened to the "hits" of every one of those bands, I haven't heard a significant amount of their output. But from the "hits", I like Toto the best. In fact, in some circles Toto is regarded as light-prog. And they made some decent music. But, unlike the "pop poll", in this one I like all the bands about the same: enjoy their music (the little I've heard), but wouldn't buy an album unless is a masterpiece.

-------------

Posted By: Bupie
Date Posted: January 05 2007 at 04:22
Toto is my favorite band so this is an easy choice for me.
The Eagles would be my second choice. I don't care much for the other bands at a few exceptions (which means I like some songs but not entire albums).

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: January 10 2007 at 18:43
   Toto as AOR. Free/Bad Company as hard rock.

Date Posted: January 11 2007 at 15:42
Now i remember FOREIGNER

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: January 11 2007 at 15:45
Originally posted by markosherrera markosherrera wrote:

Now i remember FOREIGNER

And where's Air Supply????

-------------

Posted By: laplace
Date Posted: January 11 2007 at 15:47
none of the above. there's a hitlist of stock pub-rock bands I'd rather never hear again

-------------
FREEDOM OF SPEECH GO TO HELL

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: January 11 2007 at 15:47
I've never been into AOR, though I quite like Fleetwood Mac. Out of this list, I choose Free - who are miles better than any of the bands mentioned here.

Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: January 11 2007 at 15:53
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

I've never been into AOR, though I quite like Fleetwood Mac. Out of this list, I choose Free - who are miles better than any of the bands mentioned here.

Clap
Clap 

Free!

Though a second choice for me would be REO Speedwagon.

Posted By: glass house
Date Posted: January 11 2007 at 15:57
I'm so afraid by Fleetwood mac on their Live album is such a great song, but I have to choose Y&T for their Earthshaker album - such a classic!!

Date Posted: January 11 2007 at 17:58
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by markosherrera markosherrera wrote:

Now i remember FOREIGNER

And where's Air Supply????

Foreigner have songs like juke box hero,cold as ice,dirty white boy ,hot blooded,that are classics of AOR,with a force and feeling that Air Supply dont have, because Air Supply is a group in the category of bee gees,prism,bolton etc etc but worst

Posted By: KoS
Date Posted: January 11 2007 at 18:03
Air Supply
LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: January 11 2007 at 18:14
Originally posted by king of Siam king of Siam wrote:

Air Supply
LOLLOLLOL
No,please,no......Air Supply is for other poll,but not, I dont want to think about this kind   of groups.may be  that I have pollyosis,but with some limits  Other member can design this poll,but not me.... uff.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 11 2007 at 18:19
Fleetwood Mac...  both the Peter Green blues and Nicks and Buckingham AOR incarnations

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: tdbark
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 16:07
So many good groups here.... My best memories of the 70s and 80s are tied into some of these groups. I am a HUGE fan af Styx (who were very progressive at their start and still had progressive tones as they reached the end), Boston (man I just wish Tom Scholz had just gotten his head out of his butt long enough to create more music), Toto, the Mac, Journey, etc. I finally chose the Eagles because of the moments of true beauty that occured in their music. BTW, "The Last Resort" is a great song.... It moves me to chills everytime Henley sings these lines:

"We satisfy our endless needs and
justify our bloody deeds,
in the name of destiny and the name of God

And you can see them there,
On Sunday morning
They stand up and sing about
what it's like up there
They call it paradise
I don't know why
You call someplace paradise,
kiss it goodbye."

Damn good stuff.

-------------
Twenty men crossing a bridge into a village,
are twenty men
crossing twenty bridges
into twenty villages.

Wallace Stevens

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: January 14 2007 at 16:44
no contest for me... JOURNEY!!! 

The trilogy of albums Infinity, Evolution & Departure, topped off by the live album Captured, was for me some of the finest AOR ever written...Clap

Toto could have been great if they hadn't gone through so many line-up changes (most notably vocalists) and erratic quality and styles of album.... great session musicians tho, esp Steve Lukather...Clap

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Jared
Date Posted: January 14 2007 at 16:48
^^^ LOL I've just noticed...Loverboy

When I was 19, I saw Loverboy supporting Def Leppard at Birmingham NEC on their Hysteria tour...

they were truly awful... and the lead singer really needed to shed a few pounds..LOL

how on earth can they be in the same poll as Journey???Confused

-------------
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: January 14 2007 at 17:00
Hey, since when is Fleetwood Mac AOR or Art Rock?

Not even Rumors is an Album Oriented Rock release only to mention one reason, three tracks out of it (Dreams, Go Your Own Way and Don't Stop) were hit singles, something that doesn't happen in AOR and don't tell me they play Hard Rock.

Fleetwood Mac is  POP, an OUTSTADING and ORIGINAL POP band where almost all the members were very skilled musicians and three members were able to take the lead vocals.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: bhikkhu
Date Posted: January 14 2007 at 22:48
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Hey, since when is Fleetwood Mac AOR or Art Rock?

Not even Rumors is an Album Oriented Rock release only to mention one reason, three tracks out of it (Dreams, Go Your Own Way and Don't Stop) were hit singles, something that doesn't happen in AOR and don't tell me they play Hard Rock.

Fleetwood Mac is  POP, an OUTSTADING and ORIGINAL POP band where almost all the members were very skilled musicians and three members were able to take the lead vocals.

Iván

Why doesn't that happen in AOR? Albums that were made as such often produce hits. Look at Pink Floyd and Yes.

-------------
a.k.a. H.T.

http://riekels.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - http://riekels.wordpress.com

Posted By: Asyte2c00
Date Posted: January 14 2007 at 22:50
Free.

Amazing Blues Rock Band.  Kossof was ana amzing guitarist. 

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: January 14 2007 at 23:57
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Why doesn't that happen in AOR? Albums that were made as such often produce hits. Look at Pink Floyd and Yes.

Doesn't happen often HT because AOR bands create album based music, of course they got some hits once in a while,  but that's not the main interest of an AOR band (No hits or at the most one but a very even album).

Fleetwood Mac was an originally cult band (With Peter Green) but they recruited two hit machines in the couple formed by Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, who simplified the music and made it more accessible but thanks God without loosing quality, only changing genre.

Fleetwood Mac recorded in POP format after Stevie and Lindsay joined and reached her peak with Rumors:
  1. Short lenght tracks, ideal for AM radio format (Largest 4:51, average 3:30 minutes)
  2. Mainly in similar format to ABAB.
  3. Three hit single material tracks: Dreams, Don't Stop and You make Loving Fun
  4. Many suposedly fillers like The Chain, Songbird, Oh Daddy, Gold Dust Woman, Never Going Back Again, I Don't Want to Know.

But this album went beyond their expectations and was popular not only as hits but as an album, stranger things happen because FM was an amazing band.

One more thing, the boom of what we know as AOR (Boston, Journey, Toto, etc) started 3 or 4 years after Rumors was released and Fleetwood Mac despite they kept releasing albums, never changed their style a bit, with a couple of hit single material (Mostly the ones with Nicks in the vocal) and another group that would fill the album.

Iván

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk