Which is your fav Geddy Lee bassline?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33131
Printed Date: April 24 2024 at 03:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Which is your fav Geddy Lee bassline?
Posted By: Cygnus
Subject: Which is your fav Geddy Lee bassline?
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 10:10
Which is your fav  bassline and which is your fav perfomance overall by Geddy

Replies:
Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 10:12
My favorite bass line from Geddy Lee is La Villa Strangiato, YYZ, Where's My Thing?, or Leave That Thing Alone. I love all of Rush's instrumentals and, most definetly, Geddy's part in those. Amazing! Big smile

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 10:15
Marathon. Awesome!

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Angelo
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 10:28
YYZ and Marathon. Good choice Snow Dog!

-------------
http://www.iskcrocks.com" rel="nofollow - ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 10:31
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

He has so many. YYZ like you say, of course, Cygnus X-1, Driven, Red Tide........the list could be a long one.Tongue

-------------

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 10:33
"Marathon" instantly comes to mind. Also, he does some great work on "Red Barchetta".

E

iTunes: "Brendan's Voyage" from Iona's Beyond These Shores

-------------

Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 10:41
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

He has so many. YYZ like you say, of course, Cygnus X-1, Driven, Red Tide........the list could be a long one.Tongue

That's why it's called a list LOL. But I like the fact that you're not afraid to mention later Rush tracks. The keyboards were bad for them according to some, but those people forgot to listen to the other intstruments.

I have to add that the intro of Working Man is very encouraging once you get to play it on a bass guitar yourself - then again, Geddy still had a lot to learn at the time Wink

-------------
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 10:45
There are quite a few that I love, and many of them are in Rush's later tracks... As a matter of fact, a real favourite of mine is "Cut to the Chase" from the marvellous "Counterparts" album.

Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 10:48

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

He has so many. YYZ like you say, of course, Cygnus X-1, Driven, Red Tide I mean Alien Shore!Embarrassed.......the list could be a long one.Tongue

That's why it's called a list LOL. But I like the fact that you're not afraid to mention later Rush tracks. The keyboards were bad for them according to some, but those people forgot to listen to the other intstruments.

I have to add that the intro of Working Man is very encouraging once you get to play it on a bass guitar yourself - then again, Geddy still had a lot to learn at the time Wink

-------------

Posted By: Bastille Dude
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 10:50
There are so many awesome Geddy Basslines, One of my fav's is the solo he does in Freewill just before Alex goes into his ripping solo. And if you stop paying attention to Alex long enough, you realise that Geddy is still jamming away on this awesome bassline, Right up to the end of Alex's solo.

-------------
DEATH TO FALSE PROG!

Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 10:52
Originally posted by Bastille Dude Bastille Dude wrote:

There are so many awesome Geddy Basslines, One of my fav's is the solo he does in Freewill just before Alex goes into his ripping solo. And if you stop paying attention to Alex long enough, you realise that Geddy is still jamming away on this awesome bassline, Right up to the end of Alex's solo.

Good point - I've heard similar passages on many other tracks. Who dares say the bass is only there to help the other instruments keep track of timing? LOL

-------------

Posted By: AnkisethTheMonk
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 10:54

My favorite Geddy bassline is, by far, Red Barchetta. YYZ is a close second, with Working Man in third.

-------------
The echo of a distant time comes willowing across the sands
And everything is green and submarine...

Posted By: Rushman
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 10:59
I'll second Driven and add Analog Kid to the list.

Posted By: Cygnus
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 11:14
I am surprised nobody mentioned the bass from Hemispheres(Cygnus X-1 Book II). Especially at the first part of the song. It's quite my favorite. Plus the bassline on Circumstances and the final part of 2112.

Posted By: iguana
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 11:18
marathon
the analog kid
territories
ceiling unlimited
time stand still
driven

-------------
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 11:26
Leave That Thing Alone is probably my favourite Geddy Lee bassline.

Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 11:53
YYZ...wow!

-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"

Posted By: mystic fred
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 11:53
Tom Sawyer!Clap

-------------
Prog Archives Tour Van

Posted By: XTChuck
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 11:56
"Freewill" gets my vote      Thumbs Up

Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 11:59
Originally posted by XTChuck XTChuck wrote:

ClapClapClapClap

Another one I want to say is Circumstances. I like it (but not as good as others but still worth mentioning).

Clap

Posted By: tardis
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 12:06
"Leave That Thing Alone"

Posted By: iguana
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 12:25
speaking of – we can almost divide up geddy's bass line history
by the bass models he used. it would even make a nice poll,
as to what bass sound one prefers!

favourite bass lines from his days using
early FENDER JAZZ ("teardrop" shape")
RICKENBACKER
STEINBERGER
WAL
vintage FENDER JAZZ

-------------
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?

Posted By: yarstruly
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 14:29
Driven, Turn The Page, La Villa Strangiato, YYZ...

Too Many To Name all really....

Posted By: chessman
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 16:16

Funnily enough, my favourite bass line from Geddy, although it isn't the most complex or challenging, is the tremendously catchy 'New World Man'. Short and sweet, with a light hearted tone, I think it's a great song, and a great bass line.

As for all round performance, I am not sure. Maybe Cygnus X-1, or book 2, Hemispheres.
Not certain about that though. There are many great performances from the Gedster.Clap

Posted By: Solids2k
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 16:54
I never see or hear the song mentioned in Rush discussions but my favorite Geddy bassline is the throttling bass line in 'The Enemy Within'. Alex's syncopated accompaniment complements it perfectly and helps to make it my personal favorite Rush song.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 17:09
Originally posted by XTChuck XTChuck wrote:

and me

Posted By: The Green Tank
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 17:36
    YYZ!

-------------

Posted By: akiko
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 18:05
I like the one that goes "dim dim doom di doom doom di doom dim dim doom di doom doom".  Big smile

Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 18:06
Originally posted by akiko akiko wrote:

I like the one that goes "dim dim doom di doom doom di doom dim dim doom di doom doom".  Big smile

Could you be more specific? Tongue

Posted By: akiko
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 18:06
I should explain that it's actually "The Big Money".  Isn't is obvious?  Try to sing the song and play it at the same time.

Posted By: Sublimación
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 18:08
The trees, the solo in the intro is fantastic

-------------

Posted By: red.sector_a
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 18:23
what he and Neil do behind Alex on Freewill always blows my mind.

i really think, overall, Hold Your FIre has some of Geddys most solid work. and best vocals as well.

but i also love the stuff he does on Driven, Red Barchetta, the first two albums and 2112.

-------------
"...the only excuse for not knowing, is not wanting to know."

Posted By: video vertigo
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 18:45
Driven, awesome

-------------
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa

Posted By: greenback
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 22:15
there were good choices so far, but i'm really surprised that noboby mentioned

digital man
natural science
necromancer
anthem
before & after

-------------
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>

Posted By: East of Lyra
Date Posted: January 12 2007 at 22:20
Freewill and Limelight, as they were the first two that I learned to play on the bass. Smile

Loads more too...

The Big Money
Cygnus X-1 Book II
Distant Early Warning

And of course.. YYZ Thumbs Up

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: January 13 2007 at 03:35
Far too many to list! "Limelight," "Analog Kid," "Big Money," the oft-mentioned "Driven"...amazing stuff! Another I've always been fond of: his 'galloping' bassline for "The Enemy Within." 

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Shakespeare
Date Posted: January 13 2007 at 10:22
I like 'em all.

Posted By: Asyte2c00
Date Posted: January 13 2007 at 11:13
"Force Ten"

Posted By: polyrythmic
Date Posted: January 13 2007 at 11:38
    Wheres My Thing, so good!

Posted By: Floydian42
Date Posted: January 13 2007 at 15:09
I'd have to say YYZ... Oh but there are sooooooo many

Posted By: Vibrationbaby
Date Posted: January 16 2007 at 11:03
Oddly enough my favourite Rush Song is Subdivisions. In addition to the bass line I like Geddy`s keyboard work. What I also like is the fact that he came down on the vocal register a bit.
And now a bit of trivia:
Lots of you guys mention YYZ. YYZ is acctually based on Morse Code for the call letters for Toronto`s Lester B Pearson International Airport. Kind of ironic naming an airport after a former Prime Minister who washed out of flying training. I knew the RFC flying instructor who failed him back during the First World War.

-------------

Posted By: Pablo_P
Date Posted: January 16 2007 at 17:15
nihil novi

Cygnus X-1, YYZ, La Villa Strangiato - these are my favourites

-------------
Pablo P.

Posted By: jtullprog
Date Posted: January 16 2007 at 18:18
im going to have to say yyz(of course) and cygnus x-1Big smile

Posted By: A B Negative
Date Posted: January 17 2007 at 11:19
Xanadu!

-------------
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."

Posted By: Jon89
Date Posted: January 17 2007 at 15:54
Subdivisions

-------------
jon 89

Posted By: Mr Krinkle
Date Posted: January 17 2007 at 17:22
I' ll add a new one:

The Camera Eye, a fabulous bass work almost in the whole song. My favorite moment: right after the phrase "but the city is calm in this violent sea"

-------------
"...I like the way the music goes...there's a few good guys who can play it right..."

Posted By: GilmourruomliG
Date Posted: January 18 2007 at 00:31
In the middle of YYZ, Alex decides he needs to give our ears a rest from the amazing guitar he's shredding, and Geddy Comes in with this amazingly lively and awesome bassline. So YYZ is my fav performance by Geddy.

-------------
Strangers Passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me.

-Pink Floyd

http://www.last.fm/user/GilmourruomliG - My Last.fm

Posted By: decypher
Date Posted: January 18 2007 at 00:55
Force Ten

Posted By: Cymoril2112
Date Posted: January 20 2007 at 01:48
    What a nice guy Geddy is, giving us so many choices...

YYZ, it would have to be.

Posted By: StyLaZyn
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 15:29
Probably Marathon, then Xanadu, then Turn the Page.

-------------

Posted By: Lazarus
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 15:34
La Villa Strangiato!!

-------------
"Moonlight is bleeding from out of your soul"

Posted By: debrewguy
Date Posted: May 08 2007 at 18:58
Does he have his own signature  Fender Precision Bass model ?  If he does that's my favourite bass line

-------------
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: May 09 2007 at 07:53

Originally posted by Bastille Dude Bastille Dude wrote:

Good point - I've heard similar passages on many other tracks. Who dares say the bass is only there to help the other instruments keep track of timing? [IMG]alt="LOL" src="smileys/smiley36.gif" align="absmiddle">

I'd definitely third that opinion - Freewill on the 'Exit Stage Left' album shows Geddy Lee at his prime, as does YYZ on the same album - how Lifeson can concentrate on his solos when Lee is playing such blinding flowing runs is a testament to his focus.

Just a pity 'Exit Stage Left' isn't such a prime testament to the recording of a live album...; we want a decent re-master!

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Roskisdyykkari
Date Posted: May 09 2007 at 13:32
Of course the basslines of Xanadu, YYZ, La Villa Strangiato etc are awesome, but how about the new instrumental, MALIGNANT NARCISSISM? I love that bassline, it's so cool and complicated, and it's definitely one of the best basslines by Geddy. I also like The Big Money very much. 

-------------
And the sand-castle virtues are all swept away
in the tidal destruction the moral melee.

Posted By: paolo.beenees
Date Posted: May 09 2007 at 15:36
My favourite Lee's bassline can be heard inside "The Necromancer" epic on "Caress of Steel". When the "Under the Shadow" section turns to a fast ride with one of Lifeson's most beautiful solos, Lee provides one of the most powerful bass riffs ever, with a sound I've never heard elsewhere.

-------------

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: May 09 2007 at 20:51
His runs on the bridge of "Freewill" are just ludicrous.

Posted By: Deus_Nova
Date Posted: May 09 2007 at 21:31
i love this bassist...

i think my favourites are:
-Marathon
-Turn The Page
-Where's My Thing?
-Cygnus X-1 Book II "Hemispheres"

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/Deus_Nova/?chartstyle=basic10] [img]http://imagegen.last.fm/basic10/artists/Deus_Nova.gif

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 00:47
Originally posted by Roskisdyykkari Roskisdyykkari wrote:

Of course the basslines of Xanadu, YYZ, La Villa Strangiato etc are awesome, but how about the new instrumental, MALIGNANT NARCISSISM? I love that bassline, it's so cool and complicated, and it's definitely one of the best basslines by Geddy.

Definitely one of the best things he's ever recorded! If only it were at least a minute longer...

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 07:15
Originally posted by paolo.beenees paolo.beenees wrote:

My favourite Lee's bassline can be heard inside "The Necromancer" epic on "Caress of Steel". When the "Under the Shadow" section turns to a fast ride with one of Lifeson's most beautiful solos, Lee provides one of the most powerful bass riffs ever, with a sound I've never heard elsewhere.

Good call - back in the days when Mr Lee still used that Rickenbacker for that trebly "clang" sound...

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: Dim
Date Posted: May 10 2007 at 08:59
Fly by night and closer to the heart, they both mimic the words before Geddy even plays them! la villa strangiato is good too.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk