Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 17:53
This album is my current obsession.

What's your favorite song on it?

-------------

RIP in bossa nova heaven.

Replies:
Posted By: Pnoom!
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 17:54
This poll has been done before.  I don't know this album well enough to vote.

But Out Bloody Rageous clearly has the best title...Tongue

Posted By: Bern
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 17:57
Originally posted by inpraiseoffolly inpraiseoffolly wrote:

This poll has been done before.  I don't know this album well enough to vote.

But Out Bloody Rageous clearly has the best title...Tongue

I was sure it had but I didn't find it using the Search option. It's always messed up for me.

And Out-Bloody-Rageous has a great title. I'm actually using it as an everyday expression now. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Modrigue
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 17:58

My favorites from this masterpiece of progressive jazz-rock, in order :

1 - Moon in June
2 - Out-Bloody-Rageous
3 - Facelift
4 - Slightly all the time

All tracks are killer
This album rules !

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqf2srRfppHAslEmHBn8QP6d_eoanh0eW" rel="nofollow - My compositions

Posted By: Bern
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 18:01
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

My favorites from this masterpiece of progressive jazz-rock, in order :

1 - Moon in June
2 - Out-Bloody-Rageous
3 - Facelift
4 - Slightly all the time

All tracks are killer
This album rules !

I agree with everything you say except I would put Out-Bloody-Rageous before Moon in June. Even the weakest track (slightly all the time, IMO) is really good. Clap

-------------

Posted By: Tholomyes
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 18:02
Slightly all the time for me. That keybord solo is.......

Posted By: Mikerinos
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 18:46
1. Moon in June
2. Out-Bloody-Rageous
3. Slightly All the Time
4. Facelift

All are excellent, especially my first two favorite.

-------------

Posted By: febus
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 19:33
Heart This album has been a obsession of mine since the seventies. It was (is) considered as a pillar of progressiv music. Never forget that Soft Machine started at the same time than Pink Floyd in the psychedelic scene of England and were considered equal to PF. But the fact to change their line-up on each album resulting in complete musical shifts from one album to another killed their popularity little by little. 
Kevin Ayers and Robert Wyaltt vocals were as unique (even more) than Syd or Roger.

Volume 1, vol2 and third have to be part of any serious progressive collection. Some may find that too jazzy, but i can tell you than old jazz purists run away when listening to this band.
''MOON IN JuNe'' is one of the most poignant, beautiful epic ever written. If you want progressive, be ready to be served and enjoy when hot.I have goosebumps each time i am listening to it even after all those years.
The 2 Mike Ratledge tunes are more M. Davis oriented and ''Facelift''  what to say, nothing else compares.
What also made SOFT MACHINE  special, is the absolutely marvelous sound of the distorded organ of RATLEDGE and the fuzz bass of HUGH HOPPER.
Never spend one more day in your life without the first 3 albums of SF. 5 stars each  

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 19:39
For the moment I'm going to say Out-Bloody-Rageous. A great album, though, that would have been 5 stars if it wasnt for the dreadful production.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 19:43
This was one of my first prog albums I heard and  Slightly all the Time has remain my favorite song from it since then. Moon in June is my second favorite and Out-bloody-rageous being my third favorite....  the last one is pretty self explanatory. Embarrassed

-------------

Posted By: soundsweird
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 20:04
"Moon In June" is the only track I like; recently, after keeping the album for years, I decided to sell it.   Even with "Moon In June", it ain't worth keeping in my book.  That's because I prefer the early Softs.

Posted By: MattiR
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 06:25
"Slightly all the time"

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 07:10
This album's review was my 100th, long overdue...  Great album indeed, even if not the easiest of listens. My personal favourite is "Out-bloody-rageous", with that killer organ solo.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 07:16
an album I have.. but haven't listened to in a long time... will put it on later today.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: oliverstoned
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 07:24
Moon in June

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 07:43
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

For the moment I'm going to say Out-Bloody-Rageous. A great album, though, that would have been 5 stars if it wasnt for the dreadful production.
There's a new version of it reviewed in this month's Mojo, apparently it comes with a bonus disc of their Proms performance. Doesn't say if it sounds any better tho'.

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 10:20
I'd go with Moon in June

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 13:11
Have to review this one fairly soon...my fave is 'Out Bloody Rageous', perhaps the best realisation of the band's fusion of jazz and the avant garde, imho.

I think the main thing which makes this a hard-going album to listen to is the awful sound of the CD. It's muffled in the extreme- I really hope the reissue improves that.

Posted By: clarke2001
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 13:15
Facelift. Organ...ehm...solo?!? is pure madness. And brass part is awesome, too.

-------------
https://japanskipremijeri.bandcamp.com/album/perkusije-gospodine" rel="nofollow - Percussion, sir!

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 13:40
I still haven't heard this album. Shame on me. I did hear the first Soft Machine album, but I didn't like it ("badly produced psychedelia with a little jazziness jamming away in no particular direction" is the impression I got from it). I'm convinced I ought to like Third though, so I'm going to give it a try in a not too distant future (hopefully).

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 13:44
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

I still haven't heard this album. Shame on me. I did hear the first Soft Machine album, but I didn't like it ("badly produced psychedelia with a little jazziness jamming away in no particular direction" is the impression I got from it). I'm convinced I ought to like Third though, so I'm going to give it a try in a not too distant future (hopefully).

Havn't Even Heard it!!!???
SHAME ON YOU!
Angry

Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:08
Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

SHAME ON YOU!
Angry

Definitely. But I will check it out! Smile

Posted By: Abstrakt
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:13
Originally posted by Philéas Philéas wrote:

Originally posted by Abstrakt Abstrakt wrote:

SHAME ON YOU!
Angry

Definitely. But I will check it out! Smile

You MUST!
It's insanely cheap on CDON.com! Only 49 kr! Big%20smile

Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:21
I vote Out-Bloody-Rageous because its so out-bloody-rageous. I like this song a lot. And the title is really cool.

Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 14:21
SHAME ON YOU!
Angry
Let's be nice!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by Philéas

Read my post on this thread; hopefully, you enjoy the album but that's not definitely easy listening , especially starting with ''facelift'' as side 1, As a young boy in 1971 (14 years old then)friends and me were listening to ''atom heart mother'' followed by ''slightly all the time '' and ''moon in june''.  what a trip!!!!  let me know what you think of it!

Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 15:01
^I'm used to things that are difficult to get into, most of what I listen to is. After hearing their first, I wasn't too keen on checking out more, but I will let you know what I think of Third! There shouldn't be any problems, since I really like Fusion, and I have been told Third is very jazzy.

Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 15:10
YES, Phileas, but that's NOT, NOT  fusion; that's ''third'' of Soft Machine, a unique adventure. A few albums later, SF will play fusion with Karl Jenkins on board ( listen to the wonderful album ''softs'' from 1976)Big%20smile 

Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 15:26
Originally posted by febus febus wrote:

YES, Phileas, but that's NOT, NOT  fusion; that's ''third'' of Soft Machine, a unique adventure. A few albums later, SF will play fusion with Karl Jenkins on board ( listen to the wonderful album ''softs'' from 1976)Big%20smile 

Alright, I'll keep that in mind. I like original music.

Posted By: DallasBryan
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 19:57
Moon in June, of course!

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: February 19 2007 at 19:49
I can't choose one. All are great! I love to listen to this album when driving my car.

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: Bj-1
Date Posted: February 19 2007 at 19:55
Slightly all the Time.

-------------
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
http://www.last.fm/music/Exerior" rel="nofollow - EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 19 2007 at 20:01
oh yeah... was inspired to pull this out and give it a few spins thanks to Raff's awesome review.  Never a favorite of mine... but it wasn't bad at all.

Moon in June.

love the Organ...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: February 20 2007 at 07:41
Facelift, one of my favorite albums you simply never get tierd of this briliant album. I bought 1-2 put on 1 CD some weeks ago and i like it alot it sounds like a totoaly difrent band yes but its very good psycadelic jazz stuff. 4-5 i cant find anywhere right now but i have seen it will come a new remaster soon i gues i have to wait.. Tongue I i allso bought Grides some time ago, very recomended if your intrested in some live soft machine and the 20min of some filmed concert aperence was a blast!

-------------

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: February 20 2007 at 07:46
^Fourth and Fifth, as well as Third, Six and Seven, got re-released yesterday.

I got the Third remaster yesterday and it was a definite improvement sonically over the other CDs I had. Definitely less distorted sounding, to my ears at least (there are always some with these remastered CDs who go on about how 'the older version was better, warmer and closer to the original vinyl...'), with greater clarity.Thumbs%20Up

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk