Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34361
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 02:58
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Nice vs The Moody Blues
Posted By: Nash
Subject: The Nice vs The Moody Blues
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 20:28
two great bands, the Nice with a shorter history, but as important as the moody blues, wich is the best one?

-------------
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/sydbarrettg.jpg/" rel="nofollow">

Replies:
Posted By: Walker
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 20:54
The nice had too many silly psych songs for me. The instrumentals were good though!

Posted By: soundsweird
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 22:42
I bought "Days of Future Passed" the year it came out, and continued to buy each album when it was released until the mediocre "Octave"....    I finally broke down and bought the 3-CD Immediate Records compilation of The Nice a few years ago, but it's been in my "sell" box for most of that time.  I like a couple of the first album's psych songs, and a couple of other songs from later albums, but I had my fill of Emerson years ago.  I'm sure I would've liked The Nice more if I'd bought their stuff when it was released (well, maybe; I didn't like Curved Air back then, but I do now)...

Posted By: memowakeman
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 22:42
The nice were a "nice" band, i prefer MUCH more The Moody Blues

-------------

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman

Posted By: trauma0
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 22:48
THE MOODY BLUES

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/trauma0/?chartstyle=itunesrecent">

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 13 2007 at 22:52
Well, the Moodys may have been a better band overall, but the contributions made by the Nice are too important. I can't stand Lee Jackson but the Nice, in my eyes, were the first legitimate prog band... period.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 02:52
The Moody Blues were better musicians (barring Emerson) and a better band.The Nice was all about Keith Emersons extravagant talent and wild theatrics.I prefer them for that reason and that reason alone.But musically they never reached the heights the Moodies did.

Posted By: Drachen Theaker
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 03:17
The Nice were more variable in quality but I find them far more aggressive and exciting than the Moody Blues. Don't dislike the MBs though.

Richard - I don't agree that the Moodies were better musicians. Lee Jackson was a great bass player (listen to his amazing bass line on Rondo - he tried to teach it to Greg Lake who could never master it).

Brian Davison was also no mug on the drums - does some excellent work on the Ars Longa album and also with Refugee.

The Moodies were certanly superior in the vocal department though.

-------------
"It's 1973, almost dinnertime and I'm 'aving 'oops!" - Gene Hunt

Posted By: MattiR
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 06:23
The Nice

Posted By: Meddler
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 08:28
Moody Blues

-------------
[IMG]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i165/amorfous/astro-1.jpg">

Posted By: progressive
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 08:44
neither are my favourites, but both has good music. I still think Moody Blues is mostly boring and I have heard very good song of The Nice, so I vote them

(PS what do you think about my chart (both appearance and, well, I've just created my account on last.fm - look down)

-------------

► rateyourmusic.com/~Fastro 2672 ratings ▲ last.fm/user/Fastro 5556 artists ▲ www.progarchives.com/Collaborators.asp?id=4933 266◄

Posted By: Heptade
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 09:54
Sorry, the Nice is nice, but the Moodies 60s/70s track record speaks for itself!

-------------
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 10:35

The Nice is surely de first 100% Symphonic Proį band in history, IMO the Moody Blues was at the most Proto Prog at the beginning of their career and Long Distance Voyager.

This doesn't mean it's necessary better but I like Prog and their overblown style much more.

Ivān

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 10:45
The Moodies for "Days of Future Passed" and "In Search of the Lost Chord" (and "Go Now"!).

Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 10:50
The Moody Blues is one of my favourite not Italian Prog acts.

And, naturally, I voted for them. 

-------------

Posted By: chessman
Date Posted: February 14 2007 at 17:42
Got to be The Moody Blues! Smile

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 03:02
Originally posted by Drachen Theaker Drachen Theaker wrote:

The Nice were more variable in quality but I find them far more aggressive and exciting than the Moody Blues. Don't dislike the MBs though.

Richard - I don't agree that the Moodies were better musicians. Lee Jackson was a great bass player (listen to his amazing bass line on Rondo - he tried to teach it to Greg Lake who could never master it).

Brian Davison was also no mug on the drums - does some excellent work on the Ars Longa album and also with Refugee.

The Moodies were certanly superior in the vocal department though.

For Brian Davison at his peak I recommend Refugee (1974) ..certainly no mug as you say.I felt that the Nice lost their opportunity to be a great band when O'List (the original guitarist) left. As a four peice band they made serious waves.As a three peice their music was behind what ELP later achieved (IMO). Although Greg Lake had problems with Rondo I doubt that Lee Jackson could have coped with the intracisies of say Pictures At An Exhibition. Jackson was a solid bass player who could create interesting riffs as well as any... his bass riff on Five Bridges (Part 2) especially always gives me goosebumps!

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 03:09
Davison was definitely an under-appreciated drummer and, imo, O'List leaving was the best thing that could've happened to them, but Greg Lake came along one night in 1969 and the rest is history.

Posted By: Drachen Theaker
Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 03:36
Speaking of Refugee I read on AN Other prog site there is a live album coming out shortly recorded at Newcastle City Hall 1974.

It features a version of the Nice's Cry of Eugene plus most of the Refugee album material. This is definitely on my to buy list (I just hope the sound quality is okay).

-------------
"It's 1973, almost dinnertime and I'm 'aving 'oops!" - Gene Hunt

Posted By: The Whistler
Date Posted: February 15 2007 at 03:42
I haven't heard the Nice as of yet (aside from Rondo via ELP, and I think the mp3 here), so I really can't say. The Moodies aren't all that skilled, but they haven't let me down yet.

Oh well. Neither is as good as Procol Harum, I'm sure.

-------------
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk