Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=34926
Printed Date: May 16 2024 at 05:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Porcupine tree album
Posted By: pianoman
Subject: Porcupine tree album
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 19:54
Your favorite? Mine is a tie of Deadwing and Stupid Dream. What do you think about the new album coming out in April?

Replies:
Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 19:59

In Absentia for me, one of the greatest albums of all time in any genre...

...the only album there that doesnt hold up is On The Sunday Of Life and even that has 2 or 3 very good tracks.

Metanoia isnt a proper album, merely improvs from the Signify sessions....

As for the new album, it will be sensational. Many long-term PT fans will moan about the bludgeoning riffs though......

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 20:15
Deadwing, with Stupid Dream a very close second.

I'm expecting The Sky Moves Sideways and Lightbulb Sun sometime this week, however.

AOL XM: "One More Red Nightmare" by King Crimson

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 20:16
Regarding the new album: I've heard samples on MySpace and I think it's going to be a killer disc.

E

-------------

Posted By: lightbulb_son
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 20:33
Hug             Sky Moves Sideways            Hug

So hard to pick. In Absentia is so close, but SMS gets my vote. This is pretty much an impossible poll for me. 

1. SMS
2. In Absentia
3. Lightbulb Son
4. Deadwing
5. Coma Divine
6. Up The Downstair
7. On The Sunday Of Life
8. Signify
9. Stupid Dream
10. Warszawa 
11. Voyage 34
12. Recordings
13. Metanoia

-------------
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Posted By: moreitsythanyou
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 20:35
I've said it before and I'll say it again:
In Absentia
They have had many good albums, but this one's the best

-------------
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

Posted By: enteredwinter
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 20:37
In Absentia is the best, as others have said, though Deadwing is also a nearly-flawless masterpiece.

My hopes are so high for the new album, it'd be almost impossible to meet them.

However, the Myspace sample is 6 minutes of everything I'd been hoping for from Wilson, so all that has to be true is that the rest is like that, and I'm going to guess that I'll be pleasantly satisfied in that regard.

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 20:56
Why are people liking on the sunday of life so much. To me, no offence to porcupine tree, its noise.

Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 20:56
Im looking at the poll

Posted By: stonebeard
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 20:58
Originally posted by pianoman pianoman wrote:

Why are people liking on the sunday of life so much. To me, no offence to porcupine tree, its noise.

At times, but I think it's great. Radioactive Toy, Nine Cats, And the Swallows Dance Above the Sun, The Nostalgia Factory, and It Will Rain for a Million Year Noise? All are definitely composed songs, songs which I think are great. It's got a lot of filler, but I happen to like it all.

-------------
http://soundcloud.com/drewagler" rel="nofollow - My soundcloud. Please give feedback if you want!

Posted By: The Miracle
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 21:10
I don't think I have heard enough albums yet(only four but working on it...) From what I have, In Absentia wins.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ocellatedgod" rel="nofollow - last.fm

Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 21:18
Wow I made one of these polls a few months ago, and the results were way different. In Absentia barely beat out SMS if I remeber correctly. I had no idea that Signify was so popular.

-------------
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 21:19
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

At times, but I think it's great. Radioactive Toy, Nine Cats, And the Swallows Dance Above the Sun, The Nostalgia Factory, and It Will Rain for a Million Year Noise? All are definitely composed songs, songs which I think are great. It's got a lot of filler, but I happen to like it all.

I couldn't agree more, excellent album. Some of their greatest tracks, but too much filler to be considered their best IMO.

-------------
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Posted By: enteredwinter
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 21:20

There's a very good chance that the results are not because "people" are liking it so much, but one person is, and is driving up the vote.

You (purposely or accidentally) allowed multiple votes for this poll, so one person can (and probably did) sit there and continually vote for Sunday of Life, driving it up and skewing the results.

To avoid this, note that you should usually leave "allow multiple votes" unchecked when you create the poll, particularly when you want people to pick one favorite, as you did want here.

-------------

Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 21:21
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Regarding the new album: I've heard samples on MySpace and I think it's going to be a killer disc.

E

Indeed it will be. I'm definitely going to pre-order it.

-------------
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 21:22
Originally posted by enteredwinter enteredwinter wrote:

There's a very good chance that the results are not because "people" are liking it so much, but one person is, and is driving up the vote.

You (purposely or accidentally) allowed multiple votes for this poll, so one person can (and probably did) sit there and continually vote for Sunday of Life, driving it up and skewing the results.

To avoid this, note that you should usually leave "allow multiple votes" unchecked when you create the poll, particularly when you want people to pick one favorite, as you did want here.

AHA! I that's why the numbers are so far off, I can't believe I didn't notice that.

-------------
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Posted By: OvergroundMusic
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 21:27
I  cant believe no one voted for LS...is by far one of the most original albums from PT and on Psych/Space Rock genre, including one of the most real lyrics...The Barclay James Harvest Era meets Prog Metal is still the best era from PT...In Absentool was awesome, Deadwing already lacked enough content to actually keep older fans interested in album for the same amount of time than the rest did...I've also heard the pre mixes of Fear..and sounds like its going to be more of Deadwing, ,same song structures and similar pauses..same synth sounds on the back some Blackfield taken ideas...nothing new for now...i hope the final studio mix is good, SW always does magic on Studio, so we can still hope for the best...

Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 21:28
Yeah, that was a mistake.

Don't get me wrong, I think radioactive toy and And the Swallows dance above the Sun are great songs. I was thinking of Space Transmission and Self Destructive Turnip.

Posted By: Nash
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 21:49
in absentia, my favourite porcupine trees album, but i like all of them, and Im hoping "Fear of a blank planet" to be my new favourite one

-------------
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/sydbarrettg.jpg/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: polyrythmic
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 22:29
In Absentia, Gavin Harrison is one of my favorite drummers and this is his shining moment in my opinion.

Posted By: darkmatter
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 22:48
I know this has been done before, but whatever.

I vote for In Absentia, followed by The Sky Moves Sideways, two perfect albums in my opinion.  But all of Porcupine Tree's albums are excellent if you ask me, not a weak one in the whole bunch.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: February 28 2007 at 22:49
In Absentia for me,then Stupid Dream.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Matt Dickens
Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 00:18

In Absentia

But I have a really good feeling about this new one.

I think everyone does for the most part.

-------------
If it ain't broke don't break it.

Posted By: samgriffith1928
Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 02:29
I voted In Absentia but I could have easily voted Deadwing, Lightbulb Sun or Stupid Dream depending on my mood

Posted By: valravennz
Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 04:44
Though this has been done before, my answer is always "The Sky Moves Sideways" just to beat out "In Absentia". Looking forward to the new albums release with much anticipation!!

-------------

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

Posted By: Dragon Phoenix
Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 04:48
In absentia, although Deadwing and TSMS are in my top100 as well.

-------------
Blog this:
http://artrock2006.blogspot.com

Posted By: Phil
Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 07:29
Sky Moves Sideways, from Deadwing.

looking forward to the new release......

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 07:54
In Absentia got me hooked.  Within a few months I got my hands on every title out there that was in print.  I really like everything, even the much maligned On the Sunday of LIife.  Eagerly awaiting this years release and the remaster of Lightbulb Sun (hopefully this year.)

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: white_russian
Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 08:49
up the downstair (why does this one get so few votes?)

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/white_russian">

Posted By: Chicapah
Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 10:06

It's almost a three way tie for me with Stupid Dream, In Absentia and Deadwing running neck and neck but I have to give the final nod to Deadwing just because it has less "influences" and is more pure, unadulterated PT in the 21st Century.

-------------
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain

Posted By: MattiR
Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 10:11
"The Sky Moves Sideways"

Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 10:48
Of all the PT albums I've heard...

Stupid Dream
In Absentia
Deadwing
Signify
Sky Moves Sideways

They're all really good albums, though! From what I've heard from the FOABP sample, the new album sounds awesome.

Posted By: Spacemac
Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 13:40
The Sky Moves Sideways Clap

Posted By: cucacola54
Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 14:18
TSMS Thumbs%20Up

-------------
Most listened albums last week

Posted By: chessman
Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 14:46
I voted, as usual, for On The Sunday Of Life.
I just love it's quirkiness and diversity. But I am pleasantly surprised to see so many others voting for it too! Well done, folks!

Second favourite would be either The Sky Moves Sideways, or Signify. (Yes, I love the earlier phase of PT more than the later one - and you missed off Voyage 34!)

But all their stuff is good, and I am looking forward to their new one coming out. I just hope it's not too heavy! Wink

Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 14:56
Man, can I change my vote from Deadwing to The Sky Moves Sideways? I got this today and on spin #1 it's already blown my mind. GREAT disc!!!!

E

iTunes: "The Sky Moves Sideways [Alternate Version]"

-------------

Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 15:25
Wow! The Sky moves Sideways is the only PTree album I havent heard. I need to hear it sometime.

Date Posted: March 01 2007 at 16:40
Definitely worth the money. Lightbulb Sun should be here tomorrow or early next week. So far, however, TSMS and Stupid Dream are neck and neck as my second favorite, but closing in on Deadwing.

E

-------------

Posted By: zbida
Date Posted: March 02 2007 at 02:56
IN ABSENTIA. My first contact with PT and still the best.

Posted By: Forgotten Son
Date Posted: March 02 2007 at 07:32
Lightbulb Sun. I have no choice but to vote for the album that includes great tracks like "The Rest Will Flow", "Shesmovedon", "Russia On Ice" and "Feel So Low".

In Abentia is a strong second, probably more cohesive than Lightbulb Sun, but it's peaks aren't quite as beautiful, IMO.

-------------

Posted By: Erpland316
Date Posted: March 02 2007 at 14:19
Although I very much enjoyed Deadwing and In Absentia, I am not that big a fan of the "heavier" stuff from Mr. Wilson.  Sometimes it sounds a little too forced into the songs.  My favorite PT albums  would be The Sky Moves Sideways or Staircase Infinities, followed closely by Stupid Dream.

-------------
"Science is all metaphor"-Timothy Leary

[IMG]http://freespace.virgin.net/martin.jones10/amonpic.jpg">[IMG]http://imagegen.last.fm/red/artists/Yeti316.gif">

Posted By: Floydian42
Date Posted: March 02 2007 at 14:44
As I've said before, I enjoy Deadwing the most, it was the first PT album I had bought and it was amazing! IDK, I think there is something special about the first thing you love from an artist. 

Posted By: eMTee
Date Posted: March 02 2007 at 16:21
1. Sky Moves SidewaysStarStarStarStarStar
2. Lightbulb Sun
3. Staircase Infinities
4. Up The Downstair
5. Signify
6. Recordings
7. Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape
8. Metanoia
9. On The Sunday Of Life
10. Deadwing
11. Voyage 34
12. Stupid Dream

...and I didn't forgot In Absentia. Even the last place wouldn't fit for it Thumbs%20Down

Posted By: Speesh
Date Posted: March 02 2007 at 22:52
In Absentia first with Up the Downstair as a close second. I still have yet to hear Lightbulb Sun and Metanoia though.

As for the new album, I couldn't be more excited. As of now it is my most anticipated release of the year. I loved In Absentia and Deadwing so I have high hopes for this one.

Posted By: Mr. Sanchez
Date Posted: March 02 2007 at 23:42
In Absentia and Stupid Dream are the 2 great PT albums.

-------------
It's Calling Me Back To My Home.

Date Posted: March 08 2007 at 22:07
Deadwing and Stupid Dream for me. I love em!

Posted By: Xeroth
Date Posted: March 08 2007 at 23:10
Lightbulb Sun, Deadwing, In Abenstia's the order for me!  And I'm really excited for the new album, there's so many new albums that are coming out, PT is at the top of my list!

-------------
I once was cool, but now I'm cold. Can you please turn up the heat.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk