Print Page | Close Window

Latimer vs Gilmour whose more emotional?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35022
Printed Date: June 08 2024 at 22:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Latimer vs Gilmour whose more emotional?
Posted By: Matt Dickens
Subject: Latimer vs Gilmour whose more emotional?
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 01:22
24 hours ago if I had been asked this question I would have said David Gimour. But earlier today I saw a video of Camel playing Lady Fantasy and I was moved to tears by Latimer's playing. I still cant decide for myself because Gimour's playing has had a tendency to do the same number on me. I was just curious what others might think about these two immense talents.

-------------
If it ain't broke don't break it.

Replies:
Posted By: progismylife
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 01:39
Andy Latimer's playing is always overflowing with emotion, David Gilmour's playing only does that sometimes.

Posted By: Losendos
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 02:03
 Gilmour has the bett er lead breaks  but latimer is much better emotionally

-------------
How wonderful to be so profound

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 02:28
Gilmour is more technically gifted of the two and both can play beautifully but Latimer just edges the specific poll question for me.

Posted By: Prog-man
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 02:56
Originally posted by Losendos Losendos wrote:

Gilmour has the bett er lead breaks  but latimer is much better emotionally

AGREED!!

-------------
Arriving somewhere but not here

Posted By: Cheesecakemouse
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 03:35
Gilmour

-------------

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 04:19

I will always claim that Gilmour is better, but he lacks the kind of emotion that Latimer conveys when playing. Even in a thing like facial expression, you can spot these things. Latimer's face changes along with it's chords, willst on Gilmour the only time I saw him with a diferent expression was when he was playing saxophone, when he got all bloaty and red.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: elpprogster
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 06:04
Latimer

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 06:13

Latimer

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: Forgotten Son
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 06:22
Originally posted by Glueman Glueman wrote:

Gilmour is more technically gifted of the two and both can play beautifully but Latimer just edges the specific poll question for me.

Confused I suggest you re-listen to Chord Change. There are a couple of licks in their that Gilmour couldn't pull off.

I really can't decide. They both evoke powerful emotional responses for me.

Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

I will always claim that Gilmour is better, but he lacks the kind of emotion that Latimer conveys when playing. Even in a thing like facial expression, you can spot these things. Latimer's face changes along with it's chords, willst on Gilmour the only time I saw him with a diferent expression was when he was playing saxophone, when he got all bloaty and red.

LOL

-------------

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 06:39
I think that Latimer is better all around and in every way. His only problem is that he wasn't a member of a mega huge band with worldwide super success.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Spacemac
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 07:21
Andy Latimer Clap

Posted By: raindance2007
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 07:29
latimer for sure. More talented too and better band

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 07:39
Latimer definately tends toward the minor chord more so than Gilmour...I may be wrong. Latimer's style is more plaintive. That's minor chords for you.

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 07:49
Originally posted by Forgotten Son Forgotten Son wrote:

Originally posted by Glueman Glueman wrote:

Confused I suggest you re-listen to Chord Change. There are a couple of licks in their that Gilmour couldn't pull off.I really can't decide. They both evoke powerful emotional responses for me.
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

I will always claim that Gilmour is better, but he
lacks the kind of emotion that Latimer conveys when playing. Even in a
thing like facial expression, you can spot these things. Latimer's face
changes along with it's chords, willst on Gilmour the only time I saw
him with a diferent expression was when he was playing saxophone, when
he got all bloaty and red.

LOL

I'm inclined to agree with you about technicality, but it's a close call.

Latimers playing on Chord Change is incredible, as it is in 'Lunar Sea' on the same album. A friend of mine, who plays guitar but doesn't like prog, once claimed he 'would give his right bollock to be able to play like that' when I played him Lunar Sea..   

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Visitor13
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 07:56
No idea.

BTW, a player's facial expressions are no indications of the 'emotionality' (whatever it's supposed to mean, actually) of his/her playing... otherwise no one can touch Gary Moore.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 08:42
  David Gilmour does it for me this time.Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: OvergroundMusic
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 08:50
Wich Video?

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 08:54
Gilmour hands down, Latimer makes me sleepy and Camel bores me.

Iván

-------------

Posted By: E-Dub
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 09:05
I went with Latimer. His solos are more varied and has a more emotional feel to them.

E

-------------

Posted By: Zitro
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 09:26
Overground music, this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrg_B1pCors

The sound quality is not that good and I also don't really enjoy the song anyways, but at around halfway through the track, the music gets all mellow and Andy Latimer plays a highly melodic and absolutely beautiful guitar solo, so beautiful and emotional that Latimer himself is seen crying when playing it.

Posted By: salmacis
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 09:29
Latimer for me. He is an absolute master of emotive, yearning solos- my faves are 'The Last Farewell', 'Ice', 'The Snow Goose' (the track), 'Pressure Points', 'Stationary Traveller' and latterly 'For Today' and 'Sahara'.

Posted By: chamberry
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 09:39
This is too hard to choose. Both have excellent emotional solos, but I can't pick just one.

-------------

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 12:17
Funny this poll, this week I watched the P.U.L.S.E dvd and the Camel Footage I dvd... Latimer wins hands down, authentic feel.   

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 12:51
Latimer for me.

Posted By: Forgotten Son
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 13:14
I'm tempted to vote Gilmour now, just to offset the massive lead Latimer has at the moment. Then I think about solos like Stationary Traveler and Ice and I just can't bring myself to vote.

-------------

Posted By: chessman
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 15:57

I had to think for a few minutes, but, in the end, I voted for Gilmour.

I just prefer his playing overall. Smile

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 16:34
I am a huge fan of Seventies Floyd and Camel and I play guitar, if the focus is on the emotion and I have to choose between Latimer and Gilmour, my vote goes to Latimer (Ice is so moving Thumbs%20Up) but I would like to mention that in  my opinion Gilmour is better in playing agressive, also an emotion Wink

Posted By: Nash
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 17:07
for me, David Gilmour

-------------
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/191/sydbarrettg.jpg/" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Phil
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 17:23
David Gilmour.

Posted By: freekske
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 18:33
david rocks

-------------
Yes it is!!

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 18:51
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I am a huge fan of Seventies Floyd and Camel and I play guitar, if the focus is on the emotion and I have to choose between Latimer and Gilmour, my vote goes to Latimer (Ice is so moving Thumbs%20Up) but I would like to mention that in  my opinion Gilmour is better in playing agressive, also an emotion Wink

I'm not sure that "aggresive" is an emotion. Anger certainly is.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: andu
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 18:57
I can't vote right now, as Iiiiiiiiiiiiiii've becoooome, comfortably numb....

-------------
"PA's own GI Joe!"

Posted By: Camelfan
Date Posted: March 03 2007 at 22:55
Latimer by far. Honestly, I can't remember any time I was emotionally moved by any of Gilmour's solos. That's not to say I don't like him, I like his style an awful lot. I think he gives a very cool sound to the band (Time for example, though the other members contributed to that as well).

Some of Latimer's most moving solos have been in Chord Change, Ice (even though tis an overrated song in my book.), Drafted, and Stationary Traveller. I think the emotion found in Camel's music, guitar or otherwise, is probably why I still prefer them over anyone else and why I still listen to a lot of their later works regardless if it counts as prog or not.

Posted By: erik neuteboom
Date Posted: March 04 2007 at 06:53
OK Snowdog, let's call agressive a feeling and anger an emotion, does this sound better to you? But what I meant is that I miss the agressive way of playing like Gilmour delivers on Animals and The Wall in Latimer his guitarplay.
Strange to hear from a proghead named Camelfan that Ice is an overrated song because for many Camelfans the build-up and climax is great and the emotion is every time goose bumps Approve

Posted By: seamus
Date Posted: March 06 2007 at 14:24
GILMOUR by several light years...

Posted By: Mlaen
Date Posted: March 06 2007 at 14:56
Gilmour.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk