Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35439
Printed Date: June 13 2024 at 08:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Octopus
Posted By: Niki ( IO )
Subject: Octopus
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 06:56
Which one of the GG's OCTO OPUS is your favourite?

-------------
IO

Replies:
Posted By: Mandrakeroot
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 06:58
RACONTEUR TROUBADOUR because Folk.

-------------

Posted By: Andrea Cortese
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 07:00
Well, The Advent of Panurge rules!Clap

Close second the crazy Knots, the most proggy song they ever recorded (IMHO).

Posted By: IVNORD
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 07:48
I love every piece on Octopus, especially The Advent Of Panurge and Knots. But I voted for River as it is often overlooked. The dissonant vocals, two guitar solo and excellent performance (as usual) makes it a great piece (listen to Derek singing along with Gary's gitar)

Posted By: Christine
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 08:03
Gentle Giant's Octopus would have to be one of my favorites as well!If you've ever seen the dvd that has the segment called,"features from Octopus", they really demonstrate how talented they are.When I first heard the little recorder cannon that went into yankee doodle dandy I was so tickeled. Watching bands like Gentle Giant just makes me wish that I had the oppritunity to have a jam session with them!

-------------
catsfootironclaw

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 08:16
The River for me, with the wonderful vibes solos.

One of these days, the mailman will bring me the Giant On The Box-dvd that I ordered. I just can't wait!

Posted By: Christine
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 08:23
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

One of these days, the mailman will bring me the Giant On The Box-dvd that I ordered. I just can't wait!

Sorry if I spoiled it!

-------------
catsfootironclaw

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 08:27
Originally posted by Christine Christine wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Sorry if I spoiled it!

You didn't spoil it! On the contrary, I'm even more excited now. It makes me even more curious! Big%20smile

They're definitely a band where you can expect such unexpected moves. Can't wait, can't wait!

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 08:45
"Think of me with kindness" is wonderful, but I have to go for "Raconteur Troubadour". The arrangement is really clever.

Posted By: seamus
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 08:48
One of the best prog albums ever...i go for The Advent Of PanurgeThumbs%20Up

Posted By: Melomaniac
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 10:32
A Tie between 'The Advent of Panurge', 'Knots' and 'Boys in the Band'.

-------------
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio

Posted By: glass house
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 11:55
I won't vote an individual song for as a whole the album is complete masterlines Big%20smile.

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 13:10
For me "the advent of Panurge" really is the first "complete" GG song. They had been building up their repertoire of changes, tones, arrangements & influences. Then on Octopus, they started nailing classics left & right. I love the 3 previous records, but this is where GG start hitting the peaks regularly.

P.S. Also where I got my alias from, though Pantagruel was already taken Cry

Posted By: glass house
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 14:11
I agree wholeheartedly with your remark that on Octopus "they started nailing classics left & right".  Clap
And on the alias: when I joined there was someone called Rocktopus, so I couldn't use Octopus in my alias.

Posted By: Man Erg
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 14:13
Raconteur Troubadour

-------------

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.

Posted By: Chus
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 14:16
I choose "boys"... I don't mind weirdness but "Knots" I just can't stand.

-------------
Jesus Gabriel

Posted By: proglil49
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 17:04
Nobody likes A Cry For Everyone??

-------------
I want to be an astronaut

Posted By: Lofcaudio
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 17:11
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

A Tie between 'The Advent of Panurge', 'Knots' and 'Boys in the Band'.

These three are definitely my top three on the album; however, I voted for The Advent of Panurge.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 17:17
I vote for "Advent of Panurge" (still slightly prefer "Pantragruel's Nativity" -- great companion pieces and inspired me to read Rabelais) although "Boys in the Band" is a fantastic instrumental -- it's such a tight and exciting composition.

I'm not terribly keen on "Knots" either (love "On Reflection") -- though I actually do like it well enough.  Good song; some days I really love it.

For many their least favourite track is "A Cry for Everyone."  This poll has been done a couple of time before, and in the last one I chose that track (would have gone for "Advent of Panurge" but it found its way into the subject line) because: "I'm going to be a rebel and choose "A Cry For Everyone".  It starts off sounding as a typical kind of rock song I'd think I would hate, and then it takes some, once,  unexpected and fantastic twists, and proves itself not to be typical at all (which is quite  typical for GG of course)."

My least favourite track, and in fact it's one of my least liked tracks of the first eight albums, is "Raconteur Troubadour" -- it's so effete.   Makes me roll my eyes a bit.  Though It's still really not a bad song according to my tastes..

"River" is great, as is "Think of Me With Kindness" (yeah that's rather effete and emotive but I love it anyway -- beautiful, actually), and "Dog's Life" is delightful.

-------------
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist

Posted By: Nowhere Man
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 17:41
Boys In The Band is absolutely fantastic. 

-------------

Posted By: IVNORD
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 21:38
Originally posted by proglil49 proglil49 wrote:

Nobody likes A Cry For Everyone??

Actually I do. It's just not the best track on the album

Posted By: Ben2112
Date Posted: March 13 2007 at 22:09
Boys In The Band...in-your-face complexity made to sound utterly magnificent!

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 14 2007 at 05:12
ahh... such a marvelous record.. I don't know, it's all great, maybe 'Raconteur, Troubadour'.

Posted By: Philéas
Date Posted: March 14 2007 at 13:43
Think of Me With Kindness is very nice. I find it hard to choose one definite favourite though, the album is very even qualitywise.

Posted By: Marcos
Date Posted: March 14 2007 at 22:48
"Think of Me With Kindness" is amazing. But I choose "The Advent Of Panurge"

-------------
www.postmortemweb.com.ar

Posted By: endlessepic
Date Posted: March 15 2007 at 00:49
I cant reply because...IVE ORDERED IT TWICE FROM www.moviemars.com AND IT STILL HASNT CAME...
Really sad because I need this album!

Posted By: Bastille Dude
Date Posted: March 15 2007 at 00:56
The Advent Of Panurge, But jeez it could have been any of them.

-------------
DEATH TO FALSE PROG!

Posted By: Forgotten Son
Date Posted: March 15 2007 at 03:04
Think of Me With Kindness. Breathtakingly beautiful.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 15 2007 at 08:53
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

"Think of me with kindness" is wonderful, but I have to go for "Raconteur Troubadour". The arrangement is really clever.

My vote goes to 'Raconteur..' too. 'I've yet to explore GG fully, but 'Octopus' is one of those albums where there isn't a single weak track IMO. It would be in my top 10 prog albums of all time.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: MattiR
Date Posted: March 16 2007 at 10:47
It's impossible to indicate which track is the most interesting one, because all of tracks are excellent!

Posted By: AngleofRepose
Date Posted: March 16 2007 at 19:23
think of me with kindness sounds different from the rest of the album and it's gorgeous. anyone could love that melody.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: March 16 2007 at 19:56
Was 'Think of me with Kindness' released as a single?? I'm sure they could have had a minor hit with that song.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Pnoom!
Date Posted: March 21 2007 at 22:38
Having listened to this album about six times earlier today, and 10 times in the past three, I'm well equipped to answer this question.

Knots! One of the greatest songs of all time, and the defining prog song that's not 43 minutes long and Thick as a Brick...

That said, as I pointed out in my recently revised review of the album, those eight songs are Gentle Giant's eight best.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk